• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best part was the zombie makeup...

Ijfzzl.jpg

Either way, if this is Ando's return to BONES on a big shounen action show, there's almost no way that Nakamura isn't on board with the animation. Should be worth watching the fights at the very least!

Stop calling it "big". This is no FMA or even Soul Eater. It's Black Cat and Busou Renkin tier.

Stop calling it "big". This is no FMA or even Soul Eater. It's Black Cat and Busou Renkin tier.

It doesn't matter how good or popular the manga is. Zetusen no Tempest is likely getting put in the same Nichigo slot (5 PM Sundays) that FMA and Blue Exorcist got aired on, which means that Aniplex intends to make this "big" and will invest corresponding effort into its production.

Madoka Magica Episode 7

madoka0608.png

At the outset of this show, I wasn't a huge fan of Sayaka, but I have grown attached to her. So, a Sayaka-focused episode was a treat as the show developed her character. Writing about a growth of a character, it's nice that Kyōko was give some more development.
Her back-story was great, and while there was some similarities to Sayaka, the execution and effects are quite different.

The visuals during Kyōko's back-story, and the very end are quite delicious! I have a thing for different animations.

Sayako, don't lose yourself! I believe in your sanity. Win Hiaso's heart!

It doesn't matter how good or popular the manga is. Zetusen no Tempest is likely getting put in the same Nichigo slot (5 PM Sundays) that FMA and Blue Exorcist got aired on, which means that Aniplex intends to make this "big" and will invest corresponding effort into its production.

I see. We'll see if it pays off.

Time to get cracking on the E3 backlog.

Shiba Inuko-san 10

Dumb.

Recorder to Randsell 23

Yep, this is entering creepy territory, and I am 100% cool with that.

Lupin III (1971) 4

Ok, this was seriously great. Everything about this episode worked and worked well. Lupin's playing on Zenigata's anxiety, Zenigata's near hero worshiip of Lupin's abilitiy to the point he seems to want the chase to never end, and the Jigen/Fujiko scenes used to help convey the passage of time all came together wonderfully. I think something like a year passes in ten minutes and it didn't feel rushed at all. It's weird too as this felt more like watching a movie than an episode of an anime series.

:lol @ how a year of conditioning Zenigata paid off like that. Payback's a bitch. I thiink Zenigata believed in Lupin escaping even more than Jigen did.
Glad you liked it. Of all the Osumi episodes, 4 is the most polished, pure example of his directing style. Most people usually prefer this episode, though my favorite is episode 2.

This episode was such a joy to watch. I'm on episode 9 and it's still the highlight of the series.
9's real-good too. Much-better animation than in 4, too. The relationship between Killer Pun and Fujiko is also befitting of the Osumi style.

Grzi

It sounds like it's an unnecessary obstacle to enjoyment. That logic works better if it's not frontloaded rather than expecting folk to endure 19 hours to "get to the good stuff."

True, but I still don't feel bad about going through the 30 filler episodes during the first 50 episodes of D. Gray Man wanting to kill myself the entire time, since the payoff in the last 50 episodes of non-stop awesome was so good.

Since One Piece has almost 500 episodes (save for a few filler episodes which can be skipped) of amazing shit after the first 50, I'd say it's worth the time investment.

Geneijin

And Elena wasn't designed to be unappealing to everyone, everywhere like Renton.

She's never had more than a few lines per ep
Who's watching E7 ONLY for a (so far) side character with a few lines?
That's like ONLY watching all of Inuyasha because you have a thing for child furries.
Yeah, for all the talk about how Elena is just bait designed to make otaku watch the show, she doesn't actually appear that much.

Like, if she was the only reason I was watching AO, I'd be pretty disappointed with it by now.
No idea how shortsighted some of the hardcore otakus can be, do you? Pika-tan from Infinite Stratos and Himeko from K-On immediately come to mind.

Gotta agree with you on that one.
Also, Gilgamesh is technically "archer" but he ain't much of one.
Unless I don't really know what the Archer class is, which is entirely possible.

It's his volley from Gates of Babylon that qualifies him for Archer class. His blades also qualify him for Saber class.

From what I recall, Arturia also qualifies for both Lancer and Rider classes as well.

Kazzy

It's a time gamble, but I'd like to think it's a reasonable one considering the length of the show. If you hate 48 episodes and absolutely love 400, don't you think it would be worth it? Of course if you don't, it's just a waste of time.

Definitely, and its not one I'd be comfortable making. There are already so many shows of interest, that it'd be foolish to even consider that kind of commitment, especially when OP has so few apparent qualities. I just find the promise that it (eventually) comes good is far too tenuous an argument.

Just to put it all into context, I was considering whether or not I should drop Fujiko, and that's been 10 episodes!

I'll never have time for something like One Piece, even though I've heard how excellent it gets a good while in. 13-episode show schedules actually appeal to me a lot because of how concise and focused the pacing can be with less episodes, as opposed to a massive, sprawling saga that still hasn't finished (?).

But I'm going to see Fujiko to the end. It'll be interesting to see whether all of the plot megatons, which all meet in episode 10, can be sufficiently-resolved by the end of it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One Piece 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
oJnfb.jpg

I like Luffy's wind up pose

I'm finally free!

Anyway, down to business:

One Piece sucks.

All throughout, the pacing was really bad; every arc but one was stretched out much further than it should have been, the one exception being Zoro's mini-arc. Unfortunately, bad pacing is to be expected in these long running Jump shonen shows, but that doesn't make it any better. At least shows like Heartcatch are episodic, meaning that an already poor arc doesn't get stretched out, making it even worse.

The characters were uniformly bad. Not a single villain had any motivation beyond "Hurrrr I am bad, I like killing and pillaging because that's what pirates do, except apparently that's not really what being a pirate is".

The main cast was worse. Luffy is one of my least favorite characters ever, he ruins every single scene he's in. What makes it even worse is the self awareness Oda tries to use whenever it happens. There will always be a few characters in the background to yell out "YOU'RE RUINING THE MOMENT" every time he ruins the moment. It's not funny at all. Nami was a poor character as well, money grubbing cardboard character doesn't make for a fun watch., and though Arlong Park did work up some decent sympathy for her, it didn't help make her any more likeable. Though to be fair, she could have a bit of a character change now, but since I won't be watching any more, I'm not about to find out.
Ussop... after his arc finished, he didn't really do much other than be loudmouthed and brash, mildly annoying, but nothing compared to the titan of irritation that was Luffy. Zoro is a bro, best character hands down. The brief appearance Mihawk made was good, and the sole saving grace of the otherwise abysmal Kreig arc.

Why did I dislike the Kreig arc so much? Firstly, the characters of the restaurant ship tried their best to be unlikeable. Regardless of whether someone is starving or not, it's stupid to offer a bloodthirsty murderer a free meal, knowing full well what the consequences will be. The flashback for Sanji was extra dumb, even for One Piece standards. A truly fearsome pirate, who's mastered the Grand Line enough to survive a year in there, decides to sacrifice his strongest asset for an annoying brat who's ship he attacked less than 5 minutes ago. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The second aspect was the ridiculous plot armor Luffy had. I already went through that, so I'm not going to list all the ridiculous stuff that he shrugs off, but I was constantly assured by various parties that One Piece has much better fluctuating power levels than most other shonens, but that really wasn't the case. Let's not even get started on how stupid the rubber ability is.

The first 3 episodes of the Arlong arc were some of my least favorite in the show. Then came the flashback episode for Nami, and cheap though it was, it was at least effective...

....or would have been, if Luffy didn't exist. He managed to completely ruin every potentially emotional moment in the arc. The middle of the Arlong arc was so frustrating to watch, since it could have been good, but the constantly forced "humor" that Oda seems so fond of cramming in the worst spots kept cropping up. Then of course, any hopes for a good ending were dashed the moment Luffy got stuck in the concrete. Luffy's big fight itself was pretty lacklustre. The usual plot armor, fluctuating power levels, and shonen haato Nakama haato power ups were everywhere.

Nevertheless, Arlong still managed to be the second best arc, behind the mini-one for Zoro.
I say mini, but really, the only reason it was that much shorter than the rest was because it was paced properly.

It's really unfortunate to see a show/manga/world like One Piece with so much potential so completely ruined by just a few aspects. I'm not a fan of either the art or some of the fights/powers, but those aren't dealbreakers for me. Horrible characters and poor plots are, and One Piece was filled to the brim with those.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Uppotte!! 10

Well nice spot of action to finish the show off. Good to see all the girls do their bit including L.
Though the whole magazine business still confuses me. Two have their magazines shot off but they're fine, but L's falls out and she's puking her guts springs out.
However that logic near the end so so out of this world the Hubble telescope would fail to pick it up.
Guns literally don't kill people, people do.

Makoto

Bodacious Space Pirates 23

Something that's always bothered me is how in the main deck always dim/go out when the ship is on full alert. I get its purpose for dramatic flair but isn't that the last thing you want to when you're in a moment of crisis?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So are you saying it's bad to make a character of a show that appeals to the only demographic that actually buys merchandise?

There's no single path to success. All characters popular to otaku pander in one form or another, but simply mirroring the identity of the viewer is lazy and cynical.

And Elena wasn't designed to be unappealing to everyone, everywhere like Renton.

She's never had more than a few lines per ep
Who's watching E7 ONLY for a (so far) side character with a few lines?
That's like ONLY watching all of Inuyasha because you have a thing for child furries.

Citation needed on Renton.

This conversation about Elena being "for otaku" doesn't make much sense.
It's a late-night giant robot anime without even a source novel/manga to promote.
The entire show is for otaku.
All of the women are designed to appeal to otaku.
And it's suffering from a severe lack of pretty men other than Truth, which makes me wonder if they care about the female audience at all. Unless they're lining up some Truth x Ao stuff for later, Kaworu-style.

Mad Pierrot's complaints were more specific in that he just doesn't like Elena spouting anime quotes. (Reminds him or Nyaruko or something I guess.) Although that's really more of a problem on Mad Pierrot's side than with the show. A character who has a quirk of liking popular (retro?) TV/cartoons/movies/whatever isn't automatically immersion-breaking. The show is set on Earth, after all.

I'm not anti-referential characters/pander characters, but they have to exist in an environment that suits their purpose. Reference characters are best suited to a comedy setting (see: Nyaruko, everyone in Hayate no Gotoku), but they can work in drama provided that they exhibit substance to their character outside of the act of spouting off references/conspicuously possessing x pander trait. I'm all for characters that have very specialized hobbies and a character like Elena could conceivably exist, but the specific instance of referencing anime in anime is rarely anything other than a conscious overture to the audience. Because of the relative unlikelihood of a random individual being a hardcore otaku in real life, it's a way to get the audience to care about a character without actually having to characterize them.

A good example of a tolerable reference character in drama would be Hashida Itaru from Steins;Gate--he references anime and 2ch culture fairly regularly throughout the series, but he's a fully-realized character that isn't solely defined by his obsession even when he self-identifies as an otaku. Elena doesn't really exist outside of her reference-dropping and conspicuous otakuism. I agree that all of the women in E7AO are bad pander to an extent (I really hate the "Ao is the only male pilot and they're all young teenagers" conceit), but Elena's pandering doesn't end at passive traits of gender, age, and dress like Fleur and Naru. It's very active and in-your-face, which makes her feel especially out of place in a series that is otherwise not concerned with the particulars of what characters like as much as who they are and what they want.

E7AO is certainly a series for dedicated anime fans, but it still feels fundamentally different from something traditionally described as made "for otaku" like Angel Beats, K-On, etc. It deserves credit for being story-driven with characters that (mostly) don't fit into the most basic anime archetypes, so I would argue that it's incorrect to write it off as falling into the same broad category as many series that don't attempt to do the things that E7AO attempts at all. It deserves to be held to a higher standard even if it does exhibit signs of being more commercial than its predecessor.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Bodacious Space Pirates 23

Something that's always bothered me is how in the main deck always dim/go out when the ship is on full alert. I get it's purpose for dramatic flair but isn't that the last thing you want to when you're in a moment of crisis?

I think the general idea in sci fi when that happens is that the power is needed elsewhere, like weapons and shields, so they only have a minimum to devote to lighting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have an AR-15. Its so moe.

I used to fire the L98A1 Cadet GP Rifle which as you might of guessed is the cadet version of the L85A1.

It was a pain in the arse to strip. Blockages were a pain in the arse. Reloading (it was manual) was a pain in the arse. And to think this was meant to convince me to join the army. HA HA HA HA HA.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I used to fire the L98A1 Cadet GP Rifle which as you might of guessed is the cadet version of the L85A1.

It was a pain in the arse to strip. Blockages were a pain in the arse. Reloading (it was manual) was a pain in the arse. And to think this was meant to convince me to join the army. HA HA HA HA HA.

Poor Eru-chan, it's not her fault the United Kingdom fails at making weapons. :(

Dresden

I think the problem with Elena is clear. It's not that she's a nerd, it's that she's a parody.

Exhibiting interest in otaku shit = somewhat understandable.

This:

HKHZal.jpg

is not.

It's a British gun, of course it sucked.

Metrotab

Banned
How do people like Sankarea here? It's a bit of a silly show with the zombie angle and all, but I find the romance working well and the characters are engaging.

And the ED song is beautiful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Poor Eru-chan, it's not her fault the United Kingdom fails at making weapons. :(

Well this would be Eru-chans younger twin sister or something. Perhaps she goes to a special needs school or whatever considering the removal of gas parts.

It's a British gun, of course it sucked.
Apparently the A2 is better, but I'm not in the army so I wouldn't know and they only introduced the cadet equivalent well after I left school.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
How do people like Sankarea here? It's a bit of a silly show with the zombie angle and all, but I find the romance working well and the characters are engaging.

And the ED song is beautiful.

First 3 episodes exceeded all expectations, but sadly after that the quality takes a noticeable dive.

cajunator

Banned
I think one of the reasons I can freely enjoy even moderately terrible anime is because I accept the show as it is presented. I don't try to attach realistic expectations to it. I accept that the characters are "as is" in the story, even if in real life they would be absurd. In THAT story they are in, they make some sort of sense and have a purpose, even if it is pandering. This is why I can also accept really stupid characterizations that drive other people nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom