• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Fate/Zero 23

The episode marked above displays
Rider's last stand. The interactions, the tension and his passing were all executed in a respectable fashion. As for handling the events on a personal level, nothing could be done. The novel has long been written. All the animation team and director could do was show off the man's final battle cry in the show with pride and glory that gave an immense sense of energy through the screen. They succeeded in a way that can only put a smile on my face in the end.

This was majestic.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, so? This is like saying let's add an otaku to Fate/Zero.

What do you think all those figurines of Rin are for? DAT ZETTAI RYOUIKI MOVES MERCHANDISE.

Anime in general? Uh, no.

I feel ashamed even responding to this post.

If the goal of the companies who fund and promote anime and its associated merchandising isn't to ultimately make a profit, what is their goal?

To make people feel oh so good as they watch the companies go down in flames. But they meant well!

jman2050

Fate/Zero 23

lololololol Saber serves you right.

Alas Rider, it wasn't meant to be. nevertheless, I salute thee.

CCvkp.jpg

If the goal of the companies who fund and promote anime and its associated merchandising isn't to ultimately make a profit, what is their goal?
Of course they want to make money. However, simply going in with that mentality isn't going to make you money. The anime market is a very fickle thing, after all. I don't want to come off as disingenuous, I just think saying it's all to make money is silly. Throwing in characters simply to check off a box is shortsighted.

Redline

Holy crap. That was anime.

not really sure why anything happened though... but fuck was there animation everywhere.

And that soundtrack.

Fun times

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 4

Ok, this was seriously great. Everything about this episode worked and worked well. Lupin's playing on Zenigata's anxiety, Zenigata's near hero worshiip of Lupin's abilitiy to the point he seems to want the chase to never end, and the Jigen/Fujiko scenes used to help convey the passage of time all came together wonderfully. I think something like a year passes in ten minutes and it didn't feel rushed at all. It's weird too as this felt more like watching a movie than an episode of an anime series.

:lol @ how a year of conditioning Zenigata paid off like that. Payback's a bitch. I thiink Zenigata believed in Lupin escaping even more than Jigen did.

Theonik

Lupin III (1971) 4

Ok, this was seriously great. Everything about this episode worked and worked well. Lupin's playing on Zenigata's anxiety, Zenigata's near hero worshiip of Lupin's abilitiy to the point he seems to want the chase to never end, and the Jigen/Fujiko scenes used to help convey the passage of time all came together wonderfully. I think something like a year passes in ten minutes and it didn't feel rushed at all. It's weird too as this felt more like watching a movie than an episode of an anime series.
This episode was such a joy to watch. I'm on episode 9 and it's still the highlight of the series.

Nice. :) You getting the OVA-attached LE in October?

Last episode was good on the whole, even if
the conclusion to the battle was a little odd. What exactly was the point there? "Stop shooting up buildings"? Or is there some kind of dark side of the force for gun-spirit girls?

The show ended in the middle of the still running story arc and was in many points completly different andy they cut the high schooler, FG42, Boris and many other AKs out.

so... S2 when?

And yeah, I preordered the limited edition!

duckroll

Zetsuen no Tempest main staff (not 100% confirmed yet, from Gangan Leak):

Director: Masahiro Ando
Series Composition: Mari Okada
Character Design: Tsunenori Saito
Music: Michiru Oshima
Art Director: Tomoaki Okada
Color Design: Shihoko Nakayama
Animation Direction: Masaru Oshiro, Hiroki Kanno
Production: BONES

Mouretsu Pirates 23

Well I called that reveal last episode
Hologram

So hilarious when they discussed the sound effects. Fun episode. I dont see how they can resolve the arc in the remaining episodes.

Dresden

Zetsuen no Tempest main staff (not 100% confirmed yet, from Gangan Leak):

Director: Masahiro Ando
Series Composition: Mari Okada
Character Design: Tsunenori Saito
Music: Michiru Oshima
Art Director: Tomoaki Okada
Color Design: Shihoko Nakayama
Animation Direction: Masaru Oshiro, Hiroki Kanno
Production: BONES

Oh, my.

Mari Okada blessing yet another production with her talent is always a good thing.

Kagami

This conversation about Elena being "for otaku" doesn't make much sense.
It's a late-night giant robot anime without even a source novel/manga to promote.
The entire show is for otaku.
All of the women are designed to appeal to otaku.
And it's suffering from a severe lack of pretty men other than Truth, which makes me wonder if they care about the female audience at all. Unless they're lining up some Truth x Ao stuff for later, Kaworu-style.

Mad Pierrot's complaints were more specific in that he just doesn't like Elena spouting anime quotes. (Reminds him or Nyaruko or something I guess.) Although that's really more of a problem on Mad Pierrot's side than with the show. A character who has a quirk of liking popular (retro?) TV/cartoons/movies/whatever isn't automatically immersion-breaking. The show is set on Earth, after all.

OMG SHE'S AN OTAKU AND I'M AN OTAKU AND SHE'S WEARING NEKOMIMI AND A SCHOOL MIZUGI AND MAKES ALL SORTS OF REFERENCES TO THINGS I LIKE AND IF SHE WAS REAL I BET SHE WOULD HAVE SEX WITH ME BECAUSE WE'RE BOTH OTAKU FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP
That's newbie-otaku thinking.
Enlightened moe-pigs know that all anime girls exist to have sex with us, so it's not like the probability can go higher than 100%.

cajunator

Banned
Fate Awesome 23

Oh fucccckkkkk NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Narag

Fate/Zero 23

wowow

A lot of this one could see coming. It's a tale of two halves really as I found myself affected more by the events between Rider & Gilgamesh (As an aside, am I the only one to forgo referring to him by his class specification unintentionally? Everyone else I refer to as Saber/Rider/etc.)

I'd been operating under the notion that Berserker was going to be either Lancelot or Mordred so the reveal didn't have quite the effect on me. The strongest part of that scene might have been Saber remembering Rider's words about what it means to be king which speaks volumes for either Rider's presence or Saber's lack of one. I couldn't say for sure. Otherwise I'm pretty disaffected by Saber in general.

The Rider/Gilgamesh stuff? Pure excellence from start to finish. I was surprised that Gilgamesh truly had the power to back up his claims. It's strange to think his apparently arrogant behavior truly was just a person so confident in their ability rather than excess talk. I'm not sure he moved an inch during the entire encounter.

Rider's end was really sad and, even though I expected it, it was still hard to watch Although he killed Rider, I think I actually like Gilgamesh even more for the respect he accorded both Rider & Waver at the very end.

This conversation about Elena being "for otaku" doesn't make much sense.
It's a late-night giant robot anime without even a source novel/manga to promote.
The entire show is for otaku.
All of the women are designed to appeal to otaku.
And it's suffering from a severe lack of pretty men other than Truth, which makes me wonder if they care about the female audience at all. Unless they're lining up some Truth x Ao stuff for later, Kaworu-style.
Did the original series have a very different time slot?

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero 23

wowow

A lot of this one could see coming. It's a tale of two halves really as I found myself affected more by the events between Rider & Gilgamesh (As an aside, am I the only one to forgo referring to him by his class specification unintentionally? Everyone else I refer to as Saber/Rider/etc.)

I'd been operating under the notion that Berserker was going to be either Lancelot or Mordred so the reveal didn't have quite the effect on me. The strongest part of that scene might have been Saber remembering Rider's words about what it means to be king which speaks volumes for either Rider's presence or Saber's lack of one. I couldn't say for sure. Otherwise I'm pretty disaffected by Saber in general.

The Rider/Gilgamesh stuff? Pure excellence from start to finish. I was surprised that Gilgamesh truly had the power to back up his claims. It's strange to think his apparently arrogant behavior truly was just a person so confident in their ability rather than excess talk. I'm not sure he moved an inch during the entire encounter.

Rider's end was really sad and, even though I expected it, it was still hard to watch Although he killed Rider, I think I actually like Gilgamesh even more for the respect he accorded both Rider & Waver at the very end.

Gotta agree with you on that one.
Also, Gilgamesh is technically "archer" but he ain't much of one.
Unless I don't really know what the Archer class is, which is entirely possible.

Narag

Unless I don't really know what the Archer class is, which is entirely possible.

I think it's a ranged class hence how Gate of Babylon ends up working.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, the original series ran in the Sunday morning kids' show block.
For whatever reason they made a late-night show out of it now.
Like what happened with Macross. (Although Macross had a bunch of OVAs before Macross F so F going late-night wasn't particularly surprising.)

What sort of shows run in that Sunday morning block now?

jman2050

It makes sense. Slight FSN spoilers ahead
Gilgamesh isn't a fighter, and in fact it's explicitly mentioned that he'd get completely owned if forced into a one-on-one fight with most heroic spirits. Thus why his primary methods of attack are ranged with his chains acting as his defensive cover.

Madoka Magica Episode 6

I wonder how Madoka would have handled if Homura didn't save Sayaka.

Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-Episode-6-Post-Image-1.jpg

If this is DDR in the future, I want it.

And holy shit, Madoka's mother is such an alcoholic. She shouldn't be pushing little ol' Madoka to drink, even when she is older! It's poison for the soul!

Peaceful resolution, how does it work?

cosmic... :(

Eh, not like I enjoyed Heartcatch. Might still be a chance for him to like OP as allegedly some of the most hardcore fans felt the same way, but I'm not getting my hopes up. We'll see though since Arlong is pretty damn good.

48 episodes (at minimum) before a show supposedly becomes good? Wow...

It's a time gamble, but I'd like to think it's a reasonable one considering the length of the show. If you hate 48 episodes and absolutely love 400, don't you think it would be worth it? Of course if you don't, it's just a waste of time.

Narag

It's a time gamble, but I'd like to think it's a reasonable one considering the length of the show. If you hate 48 episodes and absolutely love 400, don't you think it would be worth it? Of course if you don't, it's just a waste of time.

It sounds like it's an unnecessary obstacle to enjoyment. That logic works better if it's not frontloaded rather than expecting folk to endure 19 hours to "get to the good stuff."

duckroll

Either way, if this is Ando's return to BONES on a big shounen action show, there's almost no way that Nakamura isn't on board with the animation. Should be worth watching the fights at the very least!

Novid

Banned
Japanese can be a very beautiful language. so why do these folks hire some female va's that butcher the fuck out of it at times?

Narag

He worked on the hit show LOST, can't possibly go wrong. Cross-cultural appeal yo.

Man, Fate/Zero 23 was . . . I'm crying, slightly. I really can't believe they
destroyed the bike.

Embrace it for what it was.
Rebellion against CG vehicles!

cajunator

Banned
It sounds like it's an unnecessary obstacle to enjoyment. That logic works better if it's not frontloaded rather than expecting folk to endure 19 hours to "get to the good stuff."

I would agree with this.
I watched the first 54 episodes of Inuyasha and then stopped because it was getting stupid, but at least the first part was entertaining.

I agree, things should be good from the beginning. And honestly, I feel that way about OP, but a lot of people don't. For series of that length, things can change pretty drastically and sometimes the introduction overstays its welcome. Sometimes the deeper themes don't show up until later. Sometimes it undergoes a genre shift. There's a lot of scenarios that in some cases, I think are unavoidable. Taking the time to carefully develop the characters and world conflict is one of them, which I don't think is a bad approach. It just might not be for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom