• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HeartCatch PreCure
ibhSgv3p8NtA5b.png

Hhmm...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I hated the first episode of Fate Zero which made me think I'd hate the rest of the series, but some people here are saying it's not indicative of the rest of the series. Should I give it another chance and watch the second episode or something?

The first episode is an exposition. It hits you with a lot of jargon and concepts to set up for the rest of the show. Personally I liked it. Having said that, watch until episode 4 before you drop it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The script wasn't unsalvageable.
It was clearly not the focus.

I don't look for philosophical insights in battle shounen, I don't look for action in Shinkai movies, I don't look for realistic love stories in harem. Madhouse had a goal and they fulfilled it. Could it have been done better? Yes, but I think they were already cutting it close with regards to the budget.

Zetman 10

WHAT!? They're showing the best arc NOW!? YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Even if it is censored, this show suddenly became worth watching again. Really friggin weird placement for it, but I'm not complaining (though I probably will be if they ruin it).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The NaCl is strong with this one. :(
Yeah, I realized how salty my post was after I posted it. :p

So firehawk, you put on a smiling face to hide your disappointment with this established community?

Always just when I think I have you figured, my friend...
Like I said, I take the Wargames philosophy now.

Heck, I almost wanted to post in the Tropes vs Women thread on Gaming side, but I knew that it would be a waste of time.

Oh yes the script was pretty bad and nonsensical but I don't think anyone was going into it expecting the greatest story ever told.

In fact I doubt most people get past the pretty lights and colors to ruminate on the "plot". Which is, as far as I can tell, what Madhouse intended with Redline.
And as someone who doesn't really care about the pretty lights, I would hope you could see why I would get very little out of the film.

There was more wrong with the film than just the script. For one, the actual Redline race was a clusterfuck, and not in a good way.
The script wasn't unsalvageable.
The script is responsible for what happens in the race though. Assuming anime scripts are written the same way as "normal" scripts.

The script is responsible for what happens in the race though. Assuming anime scripts are written the same way as "normal" scripts.
The storyboards would have been most responsible for the race, I believe.
It was clearly not the focus.

I don't look for philosophical insights in battle shounen, I don't look for action in Shinkai movies, I don't look for realistic love stories in harem. Madhouse had a goal and they fulfilled it. Could it have been done better? Yes, but I think they were already cutting it close with regards to the budget.
Then what was the middle of the movie?

Are you suggesting I was expecting too much out of the movie? That most definitely wasn't the case. I went in with low expectations.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And as someone who doesn't really care about the pretty lights, I would hope you could see why I would get very little out of the film.
Yes, that's perfectly understandable considering your tastes in anime.

Dresden

The storyboards would have been most responsible for the race, I believe.
The problem with the race wasn't the storyboarding, it was just too spread out, there's no tension or any sense of speed because it's constantly cutting to an ensemble of characters doing shit no one cares about.

LogicStep

I'm watching Toradora and Taiga for some reason reminds me A LOT of some other girl from another anime, looks just like her. I can't remember the name of the anime but it was about 3 sisters and the girl that Taiga resembles was the youngest. Anyone know if its just a coincidence or is there more to it?

Jintor

That doesn't really mean much. Script might just be dialogue and 'blank space where exciting storyboard sequence goes'.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm watching Toradora and Taiga for some reason reminds me A LOT of some other girl from another anime, looks just like her. I can't remember the name of the anime but it was about 3 sisters and the girl that Taiga resembles was the youngest. Anyone know if its just a coincidence or is there more to it?

Minami-ke.

2W9yJ.jpg

There's some similarity there, to be sure.

The problem with the race wasn't the storyboarding, it was just too spread out, there's no tension or any sense of speed because it's constantly cutting to an ensemble of characters doing shit no one cares about.
Would that not have been the storyboarder's job?

Ultimadrago

Like I said, I take the Wargames philosophy now.
Heck, I almost wanted to post in the Tropes vs Women thread on Gaming side, but I knew that it would be a waste of time.

I'm here for you, bro!
image.php
6RY3u.gif

I see where your allegiance is now.

gqi6D.jpg

Geeeeeeeeeeeene!

I hear the complaints about it, but they honestly didn't affect me negatively (in any notable capacity) during my watch of the episode.
I am more puzzled by the adamant objection to even raising the episode
than just the stern notes against heavy exposition.

It's scary. I mean, I think I'm the person who introduced bolding and numbering episode titles in posts because I posted about so many shows in a single post that I wanted a way to separate my impressions. I capped the shit out of K-On!! episodes and broke down its shot composition and wankery like that. I can't imagine being that invested in posting here now though.

Let's go on that journey anyway. :p

I'll join in this healing journey, I suppose, by saying that if I've ever said anything to you that's come across as caustic and offensive, then I apologize. I know we've had disagreements in the past, and I try to be civil when discussing them, but it's easy to fall into the trap of being overly dismissive, especially on the Internet where impulsive replies are encouraged over carefully considered ones and tone can be lost in transmission. When I'm looking at words on a screen, annoyance can goad me into responding in a way that I would have thought better of if I was speaking face-to-face.

While I think being a part of this community has been a net positive when it comes to my analytical and historical understanding of anime, there are times when it feels like hanging around here saps my enthusiasm for watching anime, even what I love. When I feel that bitter and cynical atmosphere pressing down, especially when I feel that bad anime is being promoted for its badness over good anime (the "School Days" phenomenon), I have occasionally lashed out in ways that I shouldn't have. For that, I also apologize.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm here for you, bro!
I'll join in this healing journey, I suppose, by saying that if I've ever said anything to you that's come across as caustic and offensive, then I apologize. I know we've had disagreements in the past, and I try to be civil when discussing them, but it's easy to fall into the trap of being overly dismissive, especially on the Internet where impulsive replies are encouraged over carefully considered ones and tone can be lost in transmission. When I'm looking at words on a screen, annoyance can goad me into responding in a way that I would have thought better of if I was speaking face-to-face.

While I think being a part of this community has been a net positive when it comes to my analytical and historical understanding of anime, there are times when it feels like hanging around here saps my enthusiasm for watching anime, even what I love. When I feel that bitter and cynical atmosphere pressing down, especially when I feel that bad anime is being promoted for its badness over good anime (the "School Days" phenomenon), I have occasionally lashed out in ways that I shouldn't have. For that, I also apologize.
Aww. Now I feel bad for being salty. lol

I mean, I get the shit-talking, because this is an internet board and getting your shots in is just the thing you do when you post on a forum (Which is why you get "first post nailed it" replies to pretty much every thread). C'est la vie after all. It's just matching your expectations for lengthy, intelligent conversations to that reality.

On your part, hosannainexcelsis, I enjoy our conversations.
(Tokyo arc is still the worst thing ever though, etc, etc).

duckroll

Really? Didn't think it'd be so different.

I don't see why it would be that way. The screenplay serves two main purposes. First it is a base for the storyboards, secondly it is what the voice cast uses to record lines. Neither purpose requires a script to detail every single scene cut. It would make no sense too, since screenplay writers are hired for their narrative building and dialogue writing abilities. Breaking down narrative into specific animation cuts is the job of the storyboarder and director, who usually have a strong animation background.

I think storyboarding:anime::script:film.

I would say that to the animation team (people who are "acting out" the visuals on paper):

storyboard:animation::shooting script:film

But for the voice cast and storyboarders/director:

final script:animation::shooting script:film

It really depends on whose job we're talking about here.

Grzi

Well, starting to keep my end of the bargain for the series trades.

Hourou Musuko 1

This was really good. Presentation wise I was blown away, the episode looked stunning and it didn't lose the quality for a second. The colors, the way the characters are drawn, with that shine, I liked it a lot, definitely gives the show a unique look.
Also, the re were some shots that reminded me of Fate/zero a bit, I could be wrong, but seeing that the series share the same director, I'm guessing those are his tricks of the trade. Specifically, I'm talking about the scenes showing a character from the chest up from the front, and he's standing directly in the middle of the screen. I believe there were several scenes with the same perspective in Fate/Zero, I'd post screenshots, but I'm really tired and I should go to the bed.
The story is intriguing, it seems the series deals with its theme rather maturely, so that's really good. So far, not much has happened, but I find myself liking some of the characters already.

Moyashimon will wait until tomorrow, didn't forget about it.

Also, watched the first three episodes of Ano Hana, found them to be okay, but undeserving of the praise the show is getting almost everywhere. But I can see the appeal for most people already, with the show playing the nostalgia note heavily and everything. At least the production values are pretty high, so far.

Narag

Really? Didn't think it'd be so different.

Then again I've only done student-level film so whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I think storyboarding:anime::script:film.

Pizzaroll had a nice post about it that cleared up my misunderstanding.

Composition, continuity, effectiveness of shots, good editing flow, what happens in them, etc. Essentially everything.

When talking about storyboarding in anime, you have to realize it's not a typical storyboard like the ones in [everything else] -- it's basically the skeleton of the episode/movie. The term used for storyboard in Japanese actually translates to "picture continuity" -- I assume that it's a loose translation adapted for whatever reason because they resemble what we know as storyboards. On storyboard books and such you'll see the phrase "continuity script." An anime storyboard contains the cuts and instructions for each cut. Dialogue, shot length, camera instructions, instructions for the animator, sound effects, etc. Storyboards in [everything else] are like, scene concepts and shit. For anime it's probably the most important thing of all, as everything that will be made is going to be birthed from what's penned on the storyboard.

Personally I use the term storyboarding as a catch-all (and I shouldn't really because it's technically wrong but I'm lazy) to include layout work as well, which is also super important.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38657944&postcount=6082

Jintor

Oh, I see what you mean. I feel like I've learned something which will shortly be pushed out by information technology law.

Reknoc

Inazuma Eleven 1

HEEEEEY OOOOOH HEEEEEY OOOOOH

This is so shounen. The episode opens with some random mook team losing to the main evil team (actually evil) and then having their school demolished by some sort of evil tank bus. Because that's what happens when you lose at football. Oh also the club was disbanded but that seems a little redundant when you DEMOLISH THE ENTIRE SCHOOL WITH YOUR EVIL TANK BUS.

There's even a pretty boy with a MYSTERIOUS DARK PAST that stops him from playing football. What could it be!?
I know what it is, I played the game

Geneijin

http://i.imgur.com/gqi6D.jpg[IMG]

[I]Geeeeeeeeeeeene![/I]

[spoiler] I hear the complaints about it, but they honestly didn't affect me negatively (in any notable capacity) during my watch of the episode.
I am more puzzled by the adamant objection to even raising the episode
than just the stern notes against heavy exposition. [/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Except there was none of that. There was a stern objection to how the exposition should have happened differently. You must have missed out on that discussion then.

duckroll

I would also add to pizzaroll's excellent post that in many cases, some of the best anime films are the ones where the director is the one who writes the script and storyboards the film as well. Or if he doesn't write the entire screenplay on his own, at least being the one to create the concept and have a hand in writing the script. This ensures that his vision forms the entire foundation of the movie, both in how it is written, and how it is visually conveyed. This way, he himself understands all the decisions that resulted in the script being the way it is, and hence he can build the storyboard knowing exactly what sort of movie he wants to make.

survivor

Banned
Inazuma Eleven 1

HEEEEEY OOOOOH HEEEEEY OOOOOH

This is so shounen. The episode opens with some random mook team losing to the main evil team (actually evil) and then having their school demolished by some sort of evil tank bus. Because that's what happens when you lose at football. Oh also the club was disbanded but that seems a little redundant when you DEMOLISH THE ENTIRE SCHOOL WITH YOUR EVIL TANK BUS.

There's even a pretty boy with a MYSTERIOUS DARK PAST that stops him from playing football. What could it be!?
I know what it is, I played the game

It took me 30 episodes before realizing I'd much rather youtube the special moves rather than watch the actual episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom