• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Except there was none of that. There was a stern objection to how the exposition should have happened differently. You must have missed out on that discussion then.

But in the end my mighty army crushed all opposition. That's just how it is. Feels good to be right. Ufotable forever!!

/me raises more banners

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If I was gonna do that I may as well just keep playing the game. But I suck at the game and this is my punishment for being bad at games.

Already caught up with it.

It was just a public service announcement, not aimed at you specifically. :)

survivor

Banned
People who want a good football anime all should watch Ginga e Kickoff!
There is also Giant Killing which is much better, the manga at least. I have only watched like 5 episodes of the anime so I can't say for sure if it was a good adaptation.

If I was gonna do that I may as well just keep playing the game. But I suck at the game and this is my punishment for being bad at games.

I sucked at the game too :(

Instro

MGX 10

Hm, I'm not sure this show really needed an injection of extra drama when the relationship was already moving along well at its own pace. Particularly something like this which is rather cliche, in what has been a fairly unique show so far. We'll see how this plays out.

Also,

Tsuritama haircut > MGX haircut > Apollon haircut.

Hyouka 8
tumblr_m5f9g5cuyU1ql5ljco1_500.jpg

Commentary during the movie was great as well as the usual Houtarou Satoshi discussion at the episode start. Really just need second part of the episode.

Clubs in anime are always interesting than no filmmaking club making hour long productions, or a classics club that solves mysteries, or exotic trips to mountain inns, only thing irl is the going home club.

The first episode of Fate/Zero is still bad. Sorry, duckroll. It has a few nice ideas, but the bulk of it, all the Kiritsugu/Kirei stuff, is monotonous. If we had reason to care about them it might have been acceptable, but that doesn't really develop until later in the show.

Well, starting to keep my end of the bargain for the series trades.

Hourou Musuko 1

This was really good. Presentation wise I was blown away, the episode looked stunning and it didn't lose the quality for a second. The colors, the way the characters are drawn, with that shine, I liked it a lot, definitely gives the show a unique look.
Also, the re were some shots that reminded me of Fate/zero a bit, I could be wrong, but seeing that the series share the same director, I'm guessing those are his tricks of the trade. Specifically, I'm talking about the scenes showing a character from the chest up from the front, and he's standing directly in the middle of the screen. I believe there were several scenes with the same perspective in Fate/Zero, I'd post screenshots, but I'm really tired and I should go to the bed.
The story is intriguing, it seems the series deals with its theme rather maturely, so that's really good. So far, not much has happened, but I find myself liking some of the characters already.

Wandering Son is one of the few shows I've seen where the aesthetic is consistently realized on every level. It's attractive, matches the mellow tone of the narrative, and the characters and backgrounds exist in the same space, for once. Ei Aoki has a penchant for directing in a live-action-influenced style, and that pays off in both this and Fate/Zero. The story is character-driven, so it's not so much about things happening as it is about the characters slowly feeling out their relationships with each other and their personal identities through that awkward time of puberty. It takes a subject which could easily be mishandled (and often has been), and treats it in a sensitive and thoughtful manner. Enjoy!

Also, watched the first three episodes of Ano Hana, found them to be okay, but undeserving of the praise the show is getting almost everywhere. But I can see the appeal for most people already, with the show playing the nostalgia note heavily and everything. At least the production values are pretty high, so far.

You happen to be in one of the few places on the Internet where Ano Hana is generally disliked, so congratulations(?). The production values are undeniably high, but the narrative is rather unfocused and the melodrama it pulls doesn't feel earned by the characters.

duckroll

Here's some real anime news...

Katsuhiro Otomo's Short Peace movie omnibus was partially unveiled at the Annecy Film Festival. Similar to Memories, this movie is meant to be a collection of shorter films directed by different people. There are supposed to be four directors involved in total. At Annecy, two of the films were debuted. The remaining two shorts and directors have not been announced.

Official Site: http://www.shortpeace-movie.com/
High resolution exclusive screens: http://www.catsuka.com/news/2012-06...y-2012-palmares-generiques-des-gobelins-infos

Hi-no-youjin (Combustible)

An epic movie spectacle depicting the great Edo fire.

Director: Katsuhiro Otomo
Animation: Tatsuya Tomaru
Music: Makoto Kubota
Length: 12 minutes 43 seconds
Production: Sunrise

http://www.annecy.org/edition-2012/festival/programmation/programme-fiche-film:f20121300

Tsukumo (Possessions)

One night in the 18th century, a man loses himself deep in the mountains and stumbles upon a small shrine. From the moment he enters, the place is transformed into a place from another world.

Director: Shuhei Morita
Length: 14 minutes
Production: Sunrise

http://www.annecy.org/edition-2012/festival/programmation/programme-fiche-film:f20121338

Narag

Armor Hunter Mellowlink 12 FIN

Well that was a hell of a time to have a traumatic breakdown. It was expected as Mellowlink became what he hated but hey. It was nice to see Lulucy question Mellow's final actions. He really could have just walked away at that point having won. The ending felt abrupt but I suppose this serves as more of an epilogue to Mellowlink's revenge quest. Initially I was a bit confused why Mellow wanted to settle things with Carradine but after some thought I think it's more of an implied sentiment that the Shuepp's Battalion's sacrifice would be tainted or forgotten if he decided to either run or got himself killed.

Jexhius was apt in describing this as something like an anime version of an 80s action movie. Light on plot and characterization yet heavy on action and set pieces, it's the sort of thing that's tragically neglected in "manime" discussions. In the end, it was a fun ride. There's something satisfying in Mellowlink taking on ATs with only his rifle. It's not quite as good as VOTOMS but it's certainly nice to revisit the setting.

Kagami

Is Fate/Zero as good as Queen's Blade?

Try to see this from my perspective.
That's a difficult question.
Fate/Zero is certainly well-made, but I wasn't able to keep interest in it (dropped it after ep 6 I think). Only characters I really liked were Waver and Rider, and even then I didn't care what happened with them. But then, all Typemoon stuff has always sounded boring to me since back in the Tsukihime days.

Queen's Blade has really pretty character design for the TV series courtesy of Rinshin, which is a big draw. (Beyond that, however you feel about the base gamebook designs themselves.) The protagonists are easy to root for, and there's a great cast of other likable characters. And having an all-female cast is a plus.

Both shows have top-notch voice casts.

I'd say go look at a the character profiles for the Fate/Zero characters and see if they look appealing.

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 11

Well, that's a rather interesting place to put a cliff-hanger.
I'm guessing he noticed a clock or one of the JAXA employee's watches as that would make sense given Mutta's very acute attention to detail.

survivor

Banned
Hyouka 8

I just don't get it. I feel like I missed some crucial part cause this mystery makes no damn sense.
So Hongou fell ill, okay so what? That doesn't mean she can't talk does it? Why don't they just ask her who is the killer? Heck, they said they left clues to the real killer wouldn't that mean she had special instructions for the filming? Like visual evidence or ways to film the movements and character interactions. So that means the crew should already know the killer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No, actually I'm pretty sure I won that one too. Otherwise, no one would have continued watching! :D

Do people not like beginnings or something? I don't get how episode 1 could've been any more engaging for Fate/Zero other than through maybe flashbacks.

Makoto

Ben-to 12 (FINAL)

It’s got some cool fights. I’ll give it that. I can’t say the same for the characters. Satou in particular is problematic.
For a guy who spends his time indiscriminately beating up men and women over Lunchables, you’d figure he’d at least know how to dodge/block any attacks from Shiraume. There’s no shortage of shows where the guy gets abused for misunderstandings but Ben-to really didn’t need to have a MC who willingly accepted abuse seeing as how he was an MMA fighter by night. His craving to gawk at girls is also problematic. Most of the time, main characters get those fanservice shots through misunderstandings, but Satou couldn’t be more blatant. Is this to balance out his street fighting alpha-maleness that otakus don’t like or something?
It’s to the point where it’s creepy and I no longer feel like I can sympathize with him.

Shiraume is an issue. While I don’t mind yuri-lust, but Oshiroi clearly wants none of it to the point where she gets anxious at the mere mention of Shiraume’s name.
Shiraume actively seeks to restrain Oshiroi from building friendships outside their own.
Shiraume’s schtick for constantly protecting Oshiroi is not humorous, nor is it entertaining. It’s actually very frustrating and Shiraume’s presence on this show greatly detracts enjoyment from it.

This show has an overbearing reliance on a lot of unfunny gags. Physical abuse by girls, misunderstandings, awful cooking, more misunderstandings. In that sense, episode 8 was certainly a low point for the show.

So it’s not funny, it’s got a cast that leaves much to be desired and the second-half wasn’t really necessary. I didn’t like Ben-to and if a second season was announced, I wouldn’t even bother watching it. 2/5

Narag

Do people not like beginnings or something? I don't get how episode 1 could've been any more engaging for Fate/Zero other than through maybe flashbacks.

I think people didn't care for how it was handled from all that I've caught on here. There was a ton of much needed information in the first episode and in retrospect it' strikes me as necessary so the show isn't bogged down or resorting to contrivance to pass information along later, but as an introduction, it's more than a little daunting especially as it's not entirely indicative of what the show becomes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aw, thanks. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand your complaints about that arc, but on the bright side we can always bond over how Gintama is the best thing ever!
Gintama is the best thing ever!

I think storyboarding:anime::script:film.
So the Redline script is a few pages of: "Cars go fast, tits go flop." and then the storyboard people come in and make it into something resembling a movie?

---

Saki 9
So, the episode extension makes some sense now since it looks like they're slowing the pace down a bit - probably to give
the losing teams time to develop their characters
. They can at least do 1 to 1.25 episodes per round anyway.

But man, I think I understand how Marvel fanboys feel about the Avengers movie now.
QywEQl.jpg

Teru is so swag and they're pretty much gearing for a Teru/Saki showdown (even though, as ABF pointed out, they play in different positions). I so want to see this match... but it's not going to happen any time soon (if ever).
As a service show/sidequel, this thing is really doing a fine job hyping up the main franchise anyway.

Also, as stupid as the "invisibility" shield in Kuroko is (and the heart thing in Knight in the Area), somehow I'm perfectly fine with the special power in this week's episode. I guess when your show goes crazy and have no basis in reality, I'm okay with you doing wacky shit.

kayos90

I think people didn't care for how it was handled from all that I've caught on here. There was a ton of much needed information in the first episode and in retrospect it' strikes me as necessary so the show isn't bogged down or resorting to contrivance to pass information along later, but as an introduction, it's more than a little daunting especially as it's not entirely indicative of what the show becomes.

I feel that the first episode sets up the beginning, introduction, and the pacing for how the show is going to go. It was a slow start and ramps up with each episode. I think they even noted this in the Materials Book. Sure it's a daunting introduction and honestly yeah it overloads you with information but it's very much needed as you pointed out. I think the sign of a great narrative is that the beginning grabs the audience's attention but sets up a precedent that sets up for great foreshadowing and engaging tone.

Narag

So the Redline script is a few pages of: "Cars go fast, tits go flop." and then the storyboard people come in and make it into something resembling a movie?

Redline talk has me wanting to pop it in finally. I should ease up on the TV anime for a week and work on that anime movie backlog that keeps growing. Maybe next week.

Ben-to 12 (FINAL)

It’s got some cool fights. I’ll give it that. I can’t say the same for the characters. Satou in particular is problematic.

This show has an overbearing reliance on a lot of unfunny gags. Physical abuse by girls, misunderstandings, awful cooking, more misunderstandings. In that sense, episode 8 was certainly a low point for the show.

So it’s not funny, it’s got a cast that leaves much to be desired and the second-half wasn’t really necessary. I didn’t like Ben-to and if a second season was announced, I wouldn’t even bother watching it. 2/5

No love for main character?
tumblr_luias3gD7k1r45wgho4_250.gif

He was great in his fights even when paired with Nikaidou.

The soundtrack was also pretty nice for it. I wouldn't mind a season two...if it managed to stay on track and actually involve bento the whole time and not face a loss of direction for a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So better than Prometheus's then.
A Lindelof script is just "Make everything pseudo-religious and ambiguous" for 2 pages before handing it off to the typing monkeys.

Redline talk has me wanting to pop it in finally. I should ease up on the TV anime for a week and work on that anime movie backlog that keeps growing. Maybe next week.
You know what - I will say that if you care about animation and all that, it's probably worth watching.

Geneijin

I feel that the first episode sets up the beginning, introduction, and the pacing for how the show is going to go. It was a slow start and ramps up with each episode. I think they even noted this in the Materials Book. Sure it's a daunting introduction and honestly yeah it overloads you with information but it's very much needed as you pointed out. I think the sign of a great narrative is that the beginning grabs the audience's attention but sets up a precedent that sets up for great foreshadowing and engaging tone.
The exposition was frontloaded, heavy, and paced terribly. If there was anything that kept the audience's attention, it was the story itself, not the narrative. Presentation was flawed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The exposition was frontloaded, heavy, and paced terribly. If there was anything that kept the audience's attention, it was the story itself, not the narrative. Presentation was flawed.
It was an infodump that probably could have been transcribed from a Wikipedia entry.

duckroll

I don't really see what's so daunting or overloading about how Fate/Zero Ep1 is. Every single scene makes sense, and the episode is paced to introduce each faction and the characters within them in a concise way, and it is ordered in a way which is natural and easy to follow.

The episode opens with the lead faction, showing their family unit and establishing their base of origin. Then it introduces the Church faction, explains some general knowledge about the Grail, and brings intrigue into the story in the form of a planned conspiracy to create an unfair advantage in this coming conflict. After this it introduces the Japanese setting for the show, and the characters closest linked to that. In doing so, it also sub-consciously informs the audience that these three factions (Einzbern, Tohsaka, Matou) are the main families who are traditionally involved in this battle.

After this, the narrative returns to Kiritsugu investigating other potential players in the coming war. This shows that he is a resourceful man, and starts building his character for the audience. This leads to the introduction of the Mage Association, and the relationship between Kayneth and Waver. Through Waver we then learn the origins of the Grail War and the rules of engagement regarding it. This also starts building his character as a student who is weaker in knowledge and has to learn things which the other characters already know.

From this point on, the main players are all introduced, and the narrative then uses a contrast technique to show the difference between how Kirei and Tokiomi operate and how Kiritsugu and Irisviel operate. The two sides also try to describe the other, showing us exactly how much or how little each knows about the other. It also foreshadows the most important conflict between two characters that will form the undercurrent of the entire series.

The episode then concludes with showing each of the introduced factions preparing one by one for the summoning process, creating a sense that something is about to truly begin. It concludes with the summoning of Saber - indicating that the main Servant of the series has arrived, and the moment has finally come for all the preparations and planning and scheming to bear fruit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really see what's so daunting or overloading about how Fate/Zero Ep1 is. Every single scene makes sense, and the episode is paced to introduce each faction and the characters within them in a concise way, and it is ordered in a way which is natural and easy to follow.

The episode opens with the lead faction, showing their family unit and establishing their base of origin. Then it introduces the Church faction, explains some general knowledge about the Grail, and brings intrigue into the story in the form of a planned conspiracy to create an unfair advantage in this coming conflict. After this it introduces the Japanese setting for the show, and the characters closest linked to that. In doing so, it also sub-consciously informs the audience that these three factions (Einzbern, Tohsaka, Matou) are the main families who are traditionally involved in this battle.

After this, the narrative returns to Kiritsugu investigating other potential players in the coming war. This shows that he is a resourceful man, and starts building his character for the audience. This leads to the introduction of the Mage Association, and the relationship between Kayneth and Waver. Through Waver we then learn the origins of the Grail War and the rules of engagement regarding it. This also starts building his character as a student who is weaker in knowledge and has to learn things which the other characters already know.

From this point on, the main players are all introduced, and the narrative then uses a contrast technique to show the difference between how Kirei and Tokiomi operate and how Kiritsugu and Irisviel operate. The two sides also try to describe the other, showing us exactly how much or how little each knows about the other. It also foreshadows the most important conflict between two characters that will form the undercurrent of the entire series.

The episode then concludes with showing each of the introduced factions preparing one by one for the summoning process, creating a sense that something is about to truly begin. It concludes with the summoning of Saber - indicating that the main Servant of the series has arrived, and the moment has finally come for all the preparations and planning and scheming to bear fruit.

I don't remember the specifics of the episode, so I can't really fairly respond, but I can look at how Eureka AO opened: You don't know who the players are - why Okinawa is antagonistic with the US or Japan? Who is Generation Blue? Heck, you don't even know what the Scub Coral is and why they're fighting it. All of that information takes backseat to Ao and how he gets caught up in this larger story. There's a way to just jump into a story without front-loading all that exposition on the audience from the get go.

Mature

Yeah, I didn't gather any of this.

duckroll

It was an infodump that probably could have been transcribed from a Wikipedia entry.

I could have read a recap and not missed anything except
the foreshadowing of Ryunosuke.

These comments do not pay due respect to how subtly powerful the construction of the scenes in the episode are. Can you get the same information from reading a summary? Sure. But that's true of anything. Some esteemed members of this very community are known for using Wikipedia as a replacement for actually watching shows (won't name any names!). But that sells the visuals short.

The opening scene is a good example of something that cannot be conveyed in just a summary. The combination of the camera framing, the music build up, and the eventual zoom out leading to the white-out with the show logo is definitely a complete audio-visual experience. The scene where Waver learns about the Grail War in the library is another great scene which is much more compelling than any text summary can provide. As he learns more and gets more excited about it, there are faster cuts and more a more kinetic feel in both the direction and his monologue. As this happens the weather outside also gets increasingly stormy. There is a lot of atmosphere which uses the medium of film extremely well.

I don't remember the specifics of the episode, so I can't really fairly respond, but I can look at how Eureka AO opened: You don't know who the players are - why Okinawa is antagonistic with the US or Japan? Who is Generation Blue? Heck, you don't even know what the Scub Coral is and why they're fighting it. All of that information takes backseat to Ao and how he gets caught up in this larger story. There's a way to just jump into a story without front-loading all that exposition on the audience from the get go.

Are you suggesting that there is only one "right" way to start a series? Because that would be insulting to the art of storytelling which has a long and varied history. There are many different ways to jump into a story, and there is no right or wrong way. Techniques are after all just techniques. It is how they are used which is important. You can attack the specifics of how a technique is applied, but you should never say that "look at this other totally different way!" as an argument.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 6

I may have gotten caught up in the identity of the macguffin in this more than I should have.
Really enjoyed the scheme that was pulled off but I wish I'd been more attentive during the meeting scene where
that audio effect was used to indicate foreshadowing.
I had sort of a "duh" moment when the final events transpired.
Fujiko won this round too! Did not expect that.

Suddenly a rotoscoped gun? I wonder if it was supposed to be painted over to match the rest of the scene.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fate/Zero 23

I still can't really understand how these scenes can be so awesome despite being as predictable as they can get.

Lancelot? I called it.

FSN Spoilers
Ea looks so much better in this than in stay/night, haha. It makes sense that he saves it for the most worthy opponent here, instead of just outright wasting it on Shirou.

http://i.imgur.com/msBKt.png[IMG]

wara[/QUOTE]

wwwwww

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I like you Anime-GAF

side note: If any of you want to play Diablo 3 with me, my name is Trojita#1646

Geneijin

These comments do not pay due respect to how subtly powerful the construction of the scenes in the episode are. Can you get the same information from reading a summary? Sure. But that's true of anything. Some esteemed members of this very community are known for using Wikipedia as a replacement for actually watching shows (won't name any names!). But that sells the visuals short.

The opening scene is a good example of something that cannot be conveyed in just a summary. The combination of the camera framing, the music build up, and the eventual zoom out leading to the white-out with the show logo is definitely a complete audio-visual experience. The scene where Waver learns about the Grail War in the library is another great scene which is much more compelling than any text summary can provide. As he learns more and gets more excited about it, there are faster cuts and more a more kinetic feel in both the direction and his monologue. As this happens the weather outside also gets increasingly stormy. There is a lot of atmosphere which uses the medium of film extremely well.
I felt that atmosphere was lost because of how frontloaded the exposition was. It wasn't until the pace settled after the heavy exposition somewhere during the midpoint that the atmosphere picked up as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I made my sister watch the first episode of Fate/Zero tonight, and all that she took away from it was that it was "like a cross between Fairy Tail and Yu-Gi-Oh". She had no desire to watch further.

For all of the problems that some argue the episode has, I think that I just need to stop discussing anime with her for good.

duckroll

I made my sister watch the first episode of Fate/Zero tonight, and all that she took away from it was that it was "like a cross between Fairy Tail and Yu-Gi-Oh". She had no desire to watch further.

For all of the problems that some argue the episode has, I think that I just need to stop discussing anime with her for good.

So basically what you're saying is that Geneijin is about as smart as your sister? That's really harsh. I think you should apologize.

kayos90

I felt that atmosphere was lost because of how frontloaded the exposition was. It wasn't until the pace settled after the heavy exposition somewhere during the midpoint that the atmosphere picked up as well.

Yeah... I completely disagree.

Articalys

Hyouka 8

I just don't get it. I feel like I missed some crucial part cause this mystery makes no damn sense.
So Hongou fell ill, okay so what? That doesn't mean she can't talk does it? Why don't they just ask her who is the killer? Heck, they said they left clues to the real killer wouldn't that mean she had special instructions for the filming? Like visual evidence or ways to film the movements and character interactions. So that means the crew should already know the killer.
I thought
it seemed pretty clear from the opening cellphone/chatroom conversation that there's something bigger at play going on here. Also, the to-be-continued text "Why didn't she ask EBA?" probably has some significance as well.

Of course I could just be reading into it too much.

I still love the show though; the scene where
Houtarou takes two steps outside, feels the summer heat, promptly goes back indoors with a "yeah, no" thought and then immediately has Eru show up outside his door like a harbinger of doom
was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom