• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tales of the Abyss 26
Zy82O.jpg

Thank you subs, what would I do without you?
The battle against Van is probably the first time this anime made a fight actually feel like it was from the game. It was quite well done too. Van for the most part kicks their ass until Tear decides to start singing Yulia's cheating hyms. In the end the heroes succeed, but Luke has some unfinished business to do, so the gang all say their goodbyes, and Tear finally shows her love for Luke. Now skip ahead 2 years, and they all watch the crumbling ruins of Eldrant on Luke's birthday. As they're about to leave, a mysterious figure shows up. I eagerly await the second season!
Overall, it was a decent adaptation. Started out strong, but slowly started to devolve when faced with condensing such a long game into only 26 episodes. There's a few instances of plot holes and unresolved plot points due to cut content, but it was pretty good overall. The animation isn't the greatest, but it's not bad for the most part.

You should play Tales of the Abyss, or if you're to lazy, watch the anime. /shamelessplug

She was actually competent in battle unlike other characters whom shall not be named, enjoyed hearing her chanting even if I couldnt understand it in the 3ds speakers :/ The discussion makes me want to replay it considering I have not much else to play on 3ds except SMT:eek:verclocked which Im stuck on, or I could watch the anime too...if only overclocked got an anime, atsuro.

So consensus of tales of abyss anime is good? I loved the game. Sorry I havent been watching anime and the last good one i saw was Kaiji season 2 which was awesome. Theres so much anime out but not many good quality ones, so i have no idea which is amazing.

Ultimadrago

So consensus of tales of abyss anime is good? I loved the game

Only Chet seems to have watched it in its entirety out of the "regulars" here.

But if you loved the game, more power to you for the anime, I'd guess.

Sorry I havent been watching anime and the last good one i saw was Kaiji season 2 which was awesome. Theres so much anime out but not many good quality ones, so i have no idea which is amazing.

There have been people here that have watched Kaiji, so I'd say stick around for some suggestions based around that. Any other anime you enjoy?

I would imagine on your enjoyment of the story since that's pretty much all the anime can really focus on.

For the most part it's all the story parts, but they do have battles when the story needs them like at the end. If you liked the story of the game you will like the anime.

survivor

Banned
The only video game anime I wanted to watch was Persona 4 cause of hot waifus but people kept saying you will only like it if you played the game which I have never done.

So consensus of tales of abyss anime is good? I loved the game. Sorry I havent been watching anime and the last good one i saw was Kaiji season 2 which was awesome. Theres so much anime out but not many good quality ones, so i have no idea which is amazing.

Read Gambling Emperor Legend Zero if you haven't already. It's too awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought both orders were designated as each characters recollection of events. Kyon's being the non-linear order, whereas Haruhi's order is chronological.
Hrm, that's a new one. I never thought of that.

And I blame Secret Base for it's popularity, goddamn song.

Kimi to-

KIMI TO NATSU NO OWARI
SHOURAI NO YUME

Fuck.

That is to say, I don't know that this round will actually end in the next episode. We'll see, but if it does, the anime will be in new territory, because it'll have caught up to the manga. I kind of expect them to cover maybe chs. 9 and 10 in the next episode, so the match will last into episode 11... we'll have to see, though.

The wait for ch. 11 has been agonizing, everything's gotten so tense!

Yeah, I really, really want to see Teru vs. Saki, but it'll probably be far too far off... :(
If they plan on reaching the finals before the end of the show, then they're going to run out of time if they slow down too much...

Also, Teru vs Saki is probably the anime match-up of your time. lol

Ultimadrago

[DeeDee,] Noooooo! (Too much cajun bait to fight off!)

Honestly, if he just watches the anime, things will have gone better than expected (albeit not optimal).

Kazzy

The only video game anime I wanted to watch was Persona 4 cause of hot waifus but people kept saying you will only like it if you played the game which I have never done.

That's fair, it's pretty much the abridged version of the game's story, with some added stuff mainly for fans. The cast is really strong in the games, so a lot of the enjoyment of the anime comes from your familiarity with these characters. The game actually benefits from being an RPG, in that it has a long time for you to inhabit its world, and the narrative.

As for the battles, they are almost non-existent, and this is where it becomes clear that they are simply a holdover from the source. it's only ever the protagonist who does anything worthwhile, and its often just a case of him busting through the enemy whilst the others shout encouragement (sound familiar?).

The anime loses a lot of the exposition along the way (the establishing hours of the game are blown through in the first episode), and I never got a sense of the murder mystery really having that much bearing on the show. It (rightly) focuses mainly on the characters, but I suspect it may all seem a little disjointed for a newcomer.

That wasn't very badass, also those outfits are atrocious.

You crazy. That scene is the culmination of the characters constantly skirting the border of despair and optimism until they finally got the spark to be pushed far into hot-blooded territory. Though I imagine it isn't as effective if you haven't actually watched the show.

And the designs are great!

You crazy. That scene is the culmination of the characters constantly skirting the border of despair and optimism until they finally got the spark to be pushed far into hot-blooded territory. Though I imagine it isn't as effective if you haven't actually watched the show.

And the designs are great!
ibd7Iv5R6GdazR.gif

There is no hope for you.

Defuser

Unfortunately I drop tales of abyss halfway. Sorry Tear, not even you can save the douche factor which is Luke. That and it's longass OP.

Gah so much Tear!

And yeah, Tales of Abyss anime is fine. It does fall in the trapping of trying to adapt your standard jrpg in which your group of possies gang up on 1 dude. Fights... feel a bit weird tbh.

They do what they can, and Tear and Miu are cute.

like a good C+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom