• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

By virtue of being shoujo instead of being made for men, KnT is going to be tonally different. The fact that the girl is the main character (most of the show is her internal monologue), apparently makes it insufferable to people.

Trying to think of anime is a bit tough for me at the moment for some reason. Maybe ParaKiss or Honey and Clover?
I can think of a lot of shoujo, but if you don't like KnT, I'm not sure if you'd like those. (Hana Yori Dango for one. I've heard good things about Lovely Complex.)

I think the face that the main character is a girl does turn me off a bit. Hana yori dango I watched the drama so I rather skip that one since I already know the story, there won't really be that many differences to warrant a viewing.

1stStrike

Banned
Zetman 11

Kouga looked different than he did before, like much improved. But otherwise he gets my award for one of the worst characters this season.
How dare he kill Hayami. Sure that was a shocking reveal that he was not that good, but still, he was just doing it all for Alpha's and for Amagi. Nothing that really required he get killed over. What was Kouga thinking? Haitani's motives are still unclear to me and that seemed odd to involve something with Tanaka only for it to be brushed aside. Im guessing it will be brought to light next episode sending Jin into a fit of rage?

Good episode anyway.

I hate Kouga. He is such a whiny bitch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the face that the main character is a girl does turn me off a bit. Hana yori dango I watched the drama so I rather skip that one since I already know the story, there won't really be that many differences to warrant a viewing.
Honey and Clover/ParaKiss are a good bet then. Itazura na Kiss is another shoujo that you might have seen if you watch dramas. I can't remember if Bokura ga Ita got a drama or not.

Oh wait, of course, Hatsukoi Limited! Duh. It's basically an ensemble RomCom. Kind of grungy/fanservicey, since it's by the Ichigo 100% person.
(There was an OVA that came attached with the series all about a girl trying to get through the day without pantsu :p)

Hrm. Looking at the MAL recs, Amagami SS does make a bit of sense, even with its weird anthology format. There's also something called Kimikiss Pure Rouge which I've never heard of before.

Kagami

I watched Toradora and loved it. Watched Ano Natsu de Matteru yesterday in one sitting and it was amazing, loved it. What else can I watch that is like these shows?
Could try the original Onegai Teacher, which Ano Natsu plays homage to.
On the whole I like Ano Natsu better, but Onegai Teacher was still decent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Could try the original Onegai Teacher, which Ano Natsu plays homage to.
On the whole I like Ano Natsu better, but Onegai Teach was still decent.
It's... I dunno, it looks kind of ugly, and more importantly, it has that crazy metaplot attached with it.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 11

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this tonight. First half seemed to drag on excessively long and the antagonist equal parts caricature and ham. I think the visible switch in his teeth was my tipping point. Second half was far better and had some nice touches though such as the first person perspective of the armored car driver, the police car on the pier which was too great, and that spectacular finish where he does the job with just a pistol just like he said.

Why the long face, Zenigata?

6JQNcl.jpg

wonzo

Banned
I watched Toradora and loved it. Watched Ano Natsu de Matteru yesterday in one sitting and it was amazing, loved it. What else can I watch that is like these shows?

Right now I'm watching the first episode of Kimi ni Todoke but I'm not really feeling it much. I'll give it some time though.
Have you seen Nodame Cantabile?

sleepykyo

True Tears?

Lupin III (1971) 11

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this tonight. First half seemed to drag on excessively long and the antagonist equal parts caricature and ham. I think the visible switch in his teeth was my tipping point. Second half was far better and had some nice touches though such as the first person perspective of the armored car driver, the police car on the pier which was too great, and that spectacular finish where he does the job with just a pistol just like he said.

Why the long face, Zenigata?
I hate this episode because of how superficial its premise and damsel-in-distress theatrics happen to be. It's an okay episode based on its production alone, but I feel offended whenever Miyazaki tries to extort an emotional response from the show's audience with uninteresting, played-out mechanisms that discard a lot of the emotional and personal complexities of the show's regulars. In a regular Osumi episode, for example, Lupin would be perfectly-okay with just killing someone outright to get what he wants, or perhaps to protect himself and his plans (as he did in episode 6). Osumi set the standard for the series' character development and scenario usage quite high for the first rough third of its duration, but episodes like this really do feel both boring and disappointing in almost every way.

The pacing gets much better in the second half, and both the armored truck trap and that abruptly-awesome rescue at the end deserve to be part of a better episode entirely. Takahata must have done the final boat scene simply because of how solemn and vengeful it feels—as if Lupin was avenging himself on the previous faults of the episode by destroying both the generic bad guy and reinventing the whole feel of the episode in one short sequence.

Narag

I hate this episode because of how superficial its premise and damsel-in-distress theatrics happen to be. It's an okay episode based on its production alone, but I feel offended whenever Miyazaki tries to extort an emotional response from the show's audience with uninteresting, played-out mechanisms that discard a lot of the emotional and personal complexities of the show's regulars. Osumi set the standard for the series' character development and scenario usage quite high for the first rough third of its duration, but episodes like this really do feel both boring and disappointing in almost every way.

The pacing gets much better in the second half, and both the armored truck trap and that abruptly-awesome rescue at the end deserve to be part of a better episode entirely. Takahata must have done the final boat scene simply because of how solemn and vengeful it feels—as if Lupin was avenging himself on the previous faults of the episode by destroying both the generic bad guy and reinventing the whole feel of the episode in one short sequence.

That's a great assessment. The contrived oneupmanship used to force Lupin into working for the villain was pretty bad and felt unnecessarily complicated. It can't just be having a hostage to coerce him. No, we have to have some elaborate setup.

Yeah: this episode really shows the contrast in directing style between Miyahata and Osumi. Osumi was actively trying to put Lupin and the gang into interesting scenarios that benefited both from the premise given, and from how we, the audience, learn something new about the characters that works into a well-established personality. Episode 10 didn't do a half-bad job of continuing this trend by explaining Lupin's obsession with those who try to deceive him at all costs (made visceral in the counterfeit bills he acquires at the start of the episode), but Episode 11 just plain went against the established personality and, as far as I'm aware, is the first instance of Miyazaki Lupin being a thing.

LogicStep

Honey and Clover/ParaKiss are a good bet then. Itazura na Kiss is another shoujo that you might have seen if you watch dramas. I can't remember if Bokura ga Ita got a drama or not.

Oh wait, of course, Hatsukoi Limited! Duh. It's basically an ensemble RomCom. Kind of grungy/fanservicey, since it's by the Ichigo 100% person.
(There was an OVA that came attached with the series all about a girl trying to get through the day without pantsu :p)

Hrm. Looking at the MAL recs, Amagami SS does make a bit of sense, even with its weird anthology format. There's also something called Kimikiss Pure Rouge which I've never heard of before.

I'm checking Hatsukoi Limited right now. Looks good, really like the animation and it's pretty funny so far. Thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm checking Hatsukoi Limited right now. Looks good, really like the animation and it's pretty funny so far. Thanks.
Yeah, and it's also a 1 cour show, so it's pretty much in and out. Although there's clearly one relationship that's more important than the rest.

I'd almost recommend Sora no Manimani, but that's less RomCom and more trolling of one of the girls in the triangle/harem. lol

Dresden

Yeah, and it's also a 1 cour show, so it's pretty much in and out. Although there's clearly one relationship that's more important than the rest.

I'd almost recommend Sora no Manimani, but that's less RomCom and more trolling of one of the girls in the triangle/harem. lol

HIMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Space Brothers 8-11

I had forgotten just how inspirational and moving the OP is. When the drums kick in in coordination with the rush of rocket steam, it really gets me pumped up.

What I really like about this show is how full of personality it is. Mutta is the primary example, of course, but even many of the other characters have distinct habits - ways of speaking, ways of thinking, behavioral quirks - that make them come alive. It's a lot of fun just to watch them be themselves. At the same time, the serious and dramatic side of the show keeps it grounded, so that it doesn't feel like the characters are solely bundles of quirks. The balance of tones it achieves helps to sustain the show through its slow pacing.

Brian's last words were humorous and poignant at the same time, and that moment encapsulates what makes Space Brothers work.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Getter Robo Armageddon 03:

Fucking intense. As amazing as the stills for this look, it really has to be seen in motion to be believed. It's masterful.

The plot finally became worthy of the effort put into all other aspects of the series with this episode, so I'm dreading whatever changes come from the director shift. The end of this episode implied that
Ryoma, Hayato, and Go failed to prevent the missile from hitting the earth
, and I can easily imagine the resulting consequences being cause for "creative differences". I certainly hope that it isn't handwaved, and I suppose I'll just have to see.

Narag

Getter Robo Armageddon 03:

Fucking intense. As amazing as the stills for this look, it really has to be seen in motion to be believed. It's masterful.

The plot finally became worthy of the effort put into all other aspects of the series with this episode, so I'm dreading whatever changes come from the director shift. The end of this episode implied that
Ryoma, Hayato, and Go failed to prevent the missile from hitting the earth
, and I can easily imagine the resulting consequences being cause for "creative differences". I certainly hope that it isn't handwaved, and I suppose I'll just have to see.

Never noticed that note with Imagawa's name on it. Also you should see. Immediately!

Articalys

Huh, parts of that style looks similar to the Penguindrum OP...
*checks staff listings for Nodame*

Storyboard:
Kunihiko Ikuhara (OP)
Episode Director:
Kunihiko Ikuhara (OP)

...ah, that would explain it.

Anyway, that's an awesome OP song, and the show itself has just moved up several spots on my backlog.

Narag

Sailor Moon S 116

The target is a botanist whose life's work is the study of roses? And Ikuhara didn't direct this himself? Consider me stunned.

I really like the friendship angle between Hotaru and Chibiusa. Seems like it was something the series got away from. Sailor Moon and Mamoru's entrance to the action was pretty fabulous as well.

Due to my being held up for a month playing Tera, I've only JUST NOW started this season, which is almost over. Oh well.

Acchi Kocchi 1:

Is there a cute level above infinity? I think I just tried to measure Tsumiki's cute level and destroyed all existing measurement devices. I'm a sucker for slice-of-life stuff like this. Plus Tsumiki is cute beyond human imagination. Dat Side Ahoge.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fresh Precure! 08:

FEon1l.jpg

Even Love is fatigued by the heavy amount of advertising.

This might have been the most plastic shit-heavy episode of Precure I've ever seen. Seriously, they had to use like five different toys just to refill the stupid milk bottle for that stupid baby character, while the parents of Japan collectively wept for their finances. It had a funny moment here and there like
Love forcing herself to eat spicy food in order to produce tears for the magical milk formula
, but it was mostly really blatant toy peddling with a side of the girls trying to make the Precure equivalent of Almost Pizza.

IN STORES NOW!

Fresh Precure! 09:

Miki is basically what would happen if Momoka from Heartcatch became a Precure. She really is perfect. This was basically the standard "character has an opportunity that would force them to stop being a Precure but they turn it down to honor their obligation" episode that happens once a season. Not much to talk about, other than finally learning the nature of Labyrinth. They're basically
an eeeeeeeevil dimension of BIG GUB'MINT RUN AMOK........or something. They seriously just want to turn the universe into a giant bureaucracy. No joke.

There was also some creepy segment at the beginning about a member of Labyrinth being able to directly influence the rate of births and deaths on earth, I suppose we'll find out about that later.

Fresh Precure! 10:

Man, I'm beginning to wonder just how deep the rabbit hole of Precure episode cannibalism goes. Apparently the Miyuki/Candy body swap episode in Smile was a repackaged version of this episode (and, as with any instance in which I notice such repackaging, I'm not ruling out the possibility of these episodes being repackaged from series yet more previous.) Decently funny, but I've seen it all before.

Huh, parts of that style looks similar to the Penguindrum OP...
*checks staff listings for Nodame*

Storyboard:
Kunihiko Ikuhara (OP)
Episode Director:
Kunihiko Ikuhara (OP)

...ah, that would explain it.

Anyway, that's an awesome OP song, and the show itself has just moved up several spots on my backlog.
Ikuhara also did the opening for Aoi Hana, which is great too. He really should do more.
You're using the term "pandering" as a "things you want to see" thing rather than just fanservice (which technically it is which is why using it as a pejorative is stupid). Yeah, I like over the top designs, but the ones in Symphogear are fine. The color scheme works and there's a creative mesh of separate shapes that fit in a thematic sense as well for each character (diamonds, wing mosaics, etc). There's more to a design than just how much it covers, which is always a stylistic choice.
I know that. To be fair, magical girl shows in general have stupid outfits. They are just not typically as sexual as the outfits in Symphogear.

LogicStep

That fucking sucks because I'm lmao watching this. Funny as shit, especially that weird kid. I'm gonna watch ep 3 now but I'm enjoying it a lot. Why the hell wasn't it more popular or whatever to get more seasons. Oh well.

Anime is also worth a watch. Shit obviously doesn't look as great as Slope (it does have some pretty ok cg hands), but it's different, but similar.

I still personally enjoy the drama a bit more.

Yeah Slope is pretty fucking nice so far. Maybe I'll give Nomade a shot, but since I already know what happens I dunno...

1stStrike

Banned
Just finished UN-GO. It made a bit more sense after I went back and watched episode 00 which I somehow missed before. Explained all the back story and such.

While it's a short anime, and the story can be nonsensical at times, I enjoyed it overall. I wish that they built a more cohesive story and gave us more time with the characters, though.

Oh, and that ending song. It's now stuck in my head and I'm addicted to it. *shakes fist*

Makoto

Guilty Crown 15

I... actually enjoyed this episode.
Shu's dilemma over ranking the students felt genuine for a change. The transition to his moment of solitude didn't feel overly dramatic at all, nor did Hare's embrace of Shu either. Ignoring the general inconsistencies thus far (the government's army posing little to no threat to Shu when he has Inori's Void equipped), this was probably the most natural episode yet.

The most important moment of the episode came in the opening minute where Shu tells a student that it doesn't matter how strong your Void but rather how you use it. Souta and the rest of the Rank F students more than likely had useful Voids but the ranking itself was so mismanaged that it became a lost cause once those very students got their hands on the copy and tried to prove that they were useful. As irrational as their attempt to retrieve more of the vaccine was, it was very understandable as to why they did it. A panic of sorts simply swept over them. The school was on the brink of cannibalizing itself. The student body had just achieved order and stability. The sighs of relief from those in Rank F however are all for naught as they now find themselves on the chopping block once more. The question as to what that chopping block entails is unknown and that's what makes them alarmed. Then Hare went out with a bang and I... didn't laugh. Shu started beating up people and I took it seriously. Interesting.

Guilty Crown 15

I... actually enjoyed this episode.
Shu's dilemma over ranking the students felt genuine for a change. The transition to his moment of solitude didn't feel overly dramatic at all, nor did Hare's embrace of Shu either. Ignoring the general inconsistencies thus far (Shu being able to destroy the entire government army for instance), this was probably the most natural episode yet.

The most important moment of the episode came in the opening minute where Shu tells a student that it doesn't matter how strong your Void but rather how you use it. Souta and the rest of the Rank F students more than likely had useful Voids but the ranking itself was so mismanaged that it became a lost cause once those very students got their hands on the copy and tried to prove that they were useful. As irrational as their attempt to retrieve more of the vaccine was, it was very understandable as to why they did it. A panic of sorts simply swept over them. The school was on the brink of cannibalizing itself. The student body had just achieved order and stability. The sighs of relief from those in Rank F however are all for naught as they now find themselves on the chopping block once more. The question as to what that chopping block entails is unknown and that's what makes them alarmed. Then Hare went out with a bang and I... didn't laugh. Shu started beating up people and I took it seriously. Interesting.

You had pretty much the exact same reaction as me while everyone else laughed at
Hare's death
:/. Nice to have a nakama.

duckroll

Just finished UN-GO. It made a bit more sense after I went back and watched episode 00 which I somehow missed before. Explained all the back story and such.

While it's a short anime, and the story can be nonsensical at times, I enjoyed it overall. I wish that they built a more cohesive story and gave us more time with the characters, though.

Oh, and that ending song. It's now stuck in my head and I'm addicted to it. *shakes fist*

Every time someone here watches all of Un-Go, my powers grow stronger... and stranger. :D

1stStrike

Banned
Every time someone here watches all of Un-Go, my powers grow stronger... and stranger. :D

I don't get what the hub bub is about. It's an interesting show with some unique aspects to it!

Anyway, are there any other shows that empower duckroll which I should know about? I need to make sure I avoid them :D

madp

The Light of El Cantare

It can't be stated enough that future Un-Go watchers need to eschew airing order or the traditional viewing concept of "watch series, then movie" and either watch the film before beginning the series or between episodes six and seven to correspond with the original timing of the film's Japanese theatrical release and subsequent appearance of
Betennou
in the show.

Un-Go Episode 0: Inga-ron can't remedy the series' extremely confusing editing or the quality of the narratives themselves, but my viewing experience would have been significantly improved had I begun the series with an understanding of the backstory, character relationships, and motivations of all major characters. It was really a very terrible decision on Bones' part not to include these very basic and vital details in the show itself, not to mention the mockery of
putting characters in the OP and ED of the show that ONLY EXIST IN THE FILM
. Ridiculous.

Makoto

You had pretty much the exact same reaction as me while everyone else laughed at
Hare's death
:/. Nice to have a nakama.
Yeah, I'm going through the Winter thread, reading GC impressions as I go along but I suppose I'm not surprised at the impressions of the episode as it must have been hard to not be cynical about Guilty Crown if one made it this far on a weekly basis.
Hare hough, had the most important support Void that the viewers know of so far, so even if one didn't really care about Hare as a character, it was certainly a blow to the group's Void synergy. That alone was enough to make me sympathetic about her passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom