• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jormungand 10
tumblr_m5j9sn1DRi1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

Pretty solid episode, the plane seen was epic even if I knew not what the weapon even does, something about a
122m flachette steel arrows or something sci fi'ish
. And specifically for that moment
how the infrared jammer disrupting the missle and it exploded and then the flares to cause the others to miss. Really memorable scene

Great team dynamics and nice conclusion to the Outspoken Doctors for Human Rights mini arc.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I actually haven't seen anything KEY related, although I plan to watch Clannad in the near future, just to get a feel of the stuff they do.

Air could be a better choice since it's shorter though, and I saw that Dezaki directed the movie. Is it any good?

Watch Clannad, its definitely the best of the lot.

Clannad AS is one of my favorite series ever. There are some really amazing moments in that series.

Jeez. Then again, Teru really is the main attraction. They're basically building up the heel.

Yeah, Teru's the villain,
and Toki and Kuro are her unfortunate victims.

Also, I think Teru's ridiculous troll of a pre-match press conference was pretty good stuff. Acting so cute, before what she was about to do... :lol We know that's not who you really are, Teru...

Casshern Sins Ep. 19

This show would have been so much better if Yoshida and Yamatoya had written every episode. Yet another sort of weird episode, though.
I'm so confused, where was Ringo during the fight and at the end?
The flow of the episode was odd too. The animation for the fight was great. I wish Umakoshi would stop making women fight in heels. :\ At least he didn't give Lyuze any.

1stStrike

Banned
Azazel-san OVA 3 END

a rather fitting end to one of the best shows of 2011.
lucifer's so moe~

I loved Azazel-san. I was laughing so hard throughout, especially when they went to the
anime convention and had the scene in the bathroom.

So many laughs.

Edit: I so need a gif of
Beezelbub's
evil grin in episode 10.

beezel24h91h.jpg

Soma

Yeah Azazel-San was definitely one of the funniest anime shows from last year besides Nichijou.

and Blood-C

Makoto

Guilty Crown 11

Given the script, I'm actually impressed that the director was able to scrounge up something that seemed emotional. The sequence
with Inori singing was dumb from a narrative perspective (healing bridges and impeccable driving from teenagers, to name a handful)
but it was presented well.

"Shepard, you're supposed to be dead!"
"I
heard someone sing a song and
got better."

Want to try being a little less condescending there and give me some reasons why they're bad? Only problem I see is underboob (which I don't really consider a problem in the first place).
Of course you don't mind the outfits, since they are pandering to you. The villain's outfit is so top heavy it looks ridiculous, not to mention the underboob and exposed stomach. How is she supposed to fight in that?
How is an anime with a character that skips to school while singing for close to a minute...dark comedy genius?! what even? one of the worst first episodes Ive ever seen.
Oh, it gets better.

Serial Experiments Lain 1-4

This series felt to be moving too slow after watching the first two episodes, but then after watching episodes three and four I feel the series is moving way too fast? I do not want to spoil myself, but it appears to me that simply watching the complete series once will not lead the average viewer understanding the full plot.

After Lain's
confusing change of personality from the timid girl to outspoken computer genius
, I have no idea what to expect as to how the obvious missing plot sections will be displayed.

Of course you don't mind the outfits, since they are pandering to you. The villain's outfit is so top heavy it looks ridiculous, not to mention the underboob and exposed stomach. How is she supposed to fight in that?

You're using the term "pandering" as a "things you want to see" thing rather than just fanservice (which technically it is which is why using it as a pejorative is stupid). Yeah, I like over the top designs, but the ones in Symphogear are fine. The color scheme works and there's a creative mesh of separate shapes that fit in a thematic sense as well for each character (diamonds, wing mosaics, etc). There's more to a design than just how much it covers, which is always a stylistic choice.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 10

Well now, this was encouraging. I was afraid Fujiko was going to be marginalized as a sidekick. Nice to see the femme fatale status was retained some. Episode didn't quite grab me which might be my fault as I'm feeling rather inattentive tonight.

Counterfeit bills and clock towers though? Between this and some elements I've seen shared between this series and the one currently airing, I find it so interesting the franchise apparently influences itself so heavily.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 10
You can never win.
Ok episode. Mostly it was them doing summer related stuff, then game room related stuff. Of course, the need for a mystery came up at the very end of the episode, but at least a murder mystery sounds fun.

Lupin III (1971) 10

Well now, this was encouraging. I was afraid Fujiko was going to be marginalized as a sidekick. Nice to see the femme fatale status was retained some. Episode didn't quite grab me which might be my fault as I'm feeling rather inattentive tonight.

Counterfeit bills and clock towers though? Between this and some elements I've seen shared between this series and the one currently airing, I find it so interesting the franchise apparently influences itself so heavily.
Miyahata Lupin (though more Miyazaki) repeats itself a lot, especially throughout the latter-half of the second TV series, usually when Telecom's involved in the production. I thought this episode was good, though it doesn't have as much psychological impact and character development. Also: direction felt more typical and with less of the contrasts I loved from the Osumi episodes. The good thing is that there's at least a memorable premise here—the next episode's only remembered for its final scene, which I suspect was the defining Miyahata moment, where everything about their collaboration finally clicked.

Episode 12 also doesn't rank up with 9 and 4, but it's still an excellent episode with the usual Osumi baggage and direction. Last of its kind!

Haven't seen it yet, though reception looks mixed. I'd rather finish up Hashire Melos first, as it's more Osumi than anything else he's done for the Lupin franchise post-GJ.

After that, I'll go ahead and watch Cowboy Bebop fo'ril. Seeing as Watanabe's mainly-influenced by Osumi, I figure this is the best course of action.

Branduil

Kids on the Slope 9

ibsgM6h87D0Z73.jpg

You're not alone, Kaoru.

iUbjAWXhMbUFj.jpg

The message of this show is that music gets all the chicks, no matter what kind of person you are.

It's nice to see this show looking good again, the art direction was very nice in this episode.

It's just a little detail, but the colors chosen for the outfits in this scene were really appealing. In particular Kaoru's outfit, that scarf is pretty bold, but it's complemented really well by the vest.

iCF4fRwCBNRMn.jpg

ijQT15SYpuZhB.jpg

This arc was quite rushed, but they ended it about as well as they could in this episode. A huge improvement over the previous one in that regard. The session in this episode was fantastically animated, and I also really liked the bgm for the last scene.

iPVTBOAZuY2GD.gif

Are there animators who specialize in slapkuga?

Zetman 11

Kouga looked different than he did before, like much improved. But otherwise he gets my award for one of the worst characters this season.
How dare he kill Hayami. Sure that was a shocking reveal that he was not that good, but still, he was just doing it all for Alpha's and for Amagi. Nothing that really required he get killed over. What was Kouga thinking? Haitani's motives are still unclear to me and that seemed odd to involve something with Tanaka only for it to be brushed aside. Im guessing it will be brought to light next episode sending Jin into a fit of rage?

Good episode anyway.

LogicStep

I watched Toradora and loved it. Watched Ano Natsu de Matteru yesterday in one sitting and it was amazing, loved it. What else can I watch that is like these shows?

Right now I'm watching the first episode of Kimi ni Todoke but I'm not really feeling it much. I'll give it some time though.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 11
You guys are sitting awfully close to each other.
Fun episode of the murder mystery. I did like the grainy live action reactment of the murder and there was lots of fanservice as well. Oh yes, there was the whole Phoenix Wright parody at the end which was amusing.

Branduil

I watched Toradora and loved it. Watched Ano Natsu de Matteru yesterday in one sitting and it was amazing, loved it. What else can I watch that is like these shows?

Right now I'm watching the first episode of Kimi ni Todoke but I'm not really feeling it much. I'll give it some time though.

Watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

By virtue of being shoujo instead of being made for men, KnT is going to be tonally different. The fact that the girl is the main character (most of the show is her internal monologue), apparently makes it insufferable to people.

Trying to think of anime is a bit tough for me at the moment for some reason. Maybe ParaKiss or Honey and Clover?
I can think of a lot of shoujo, but if you don't like KnT, I'm not sure if you'd like those. (Hana Yori Dango for one. I've heard good things about Lovely Complex.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom