• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

I wonder if there's a canon order any more, since the rebroadcast was in chronological order with S2 slotted in between S1 episodes.

I thought both orders were designated as each characters recollection of events. Kyon's being the non-linear order, whereas Haruhi's order is chronological.

Ano Hana

Finished this, thought I should write a post about it, but I don't care enough to waste anymore time on it, so I'll make it short.

A below average show with above average production values, so I guess it's average then?
Why is this show popular? I really don't get it. Usually I can see the appeal of popular shows even if I don't like them myself, but here, there's nothing.

People are suckers for sappy melodramas, even if they're poorly executed.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 07
J0adU.jpg
It's only cheating if you get caught.
So, let's play baseball!
A pretty tame episode compared to what has happened earlier. It does set up the whole keep Haruhi entertained or else aspect, so good for it.

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/12/28009l.jpg[/IM]

[B]Ano Hana[/B]
The premise is good, I guess, although everything is really unconvincing, and the emotional scenes have zero impact.[B] The characters are bland, boring, uninspired, didn't like any of them.[/B] The way the story is presented is too slow, a lot of the scenes were unnecessary, probably trying to make me get to know the characters, but the characters really don't feel like people at all

That's the reason I scored it 5/10 on MAL (without the production values it would be a 3 or a 4), but now, thinking about the show, maybe it should have been lower. Maybe I'll think about it some more.[/QUOTE]

What? Not even Yukiatsu or Jinta? Both of them had the better development in the series while really Anaru and definitely Tsuroko were bland.

The story was really only hindered by too many episodes. If it had ended at the [spoiler]fireworks[/spoiler] then it would have been so much better.

wonzo

Banned
You know what, I really don't ever want to become that guy who just says 'read the manga, it's inherently superior' but in this case I will have to recommend that you consider reading the manga. It's considerably less hideous than the modern anime adaptation.

Also, you should really check out the original 1987 OVA 2001 Nights. I can guarantee that it contains no CG. I don't know why they called the more recent titles TO, but it's all adapted from the same manga.
Yeah, once I finished watching the first part I realised it was an adaptation so I'll check that stuff out sometime, but I can assure you that I wasn't watching this stuff for the plot!

Ano Hana

Finished this, thought I should write a post about it, but I don't care enough to waste anymore time on it, so I'll make it short.
just be glad you can now appreciate this fine work

Steroyd

Fate/Zero S2 - 4

WHY DID I STOP WATCHING THIS SHOW???

The only correct answer is that you marathoned Fate Stay Night prior and you just got burnt out after the first episode of Fate Zero.

Guilty Crown 7

And one of the reasons I wanted to watch Guilty Crown finally makes his appearance. I was not disappointed.

Dan, a true American hero. /(O_O)

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/12/28009l.jpg[IMG]

[B]Ano Hana[/B]

A below average show with above average production values, so I guess it's average then?
Why is this show popular? I really don't get it. Usually I can see the appeal of popular shows even if I don't like them myself, but here, there's nothing.
The premise is good, I guess, although everything is really unconvincing, and the emotional scenes have zero impact. The characters are bland, boring, uninspired, didn't like any of them. The way the story is presented is too slow, a lot of the scenes were unnecessary, probably trying to make me get to know the characters, but the characters really don't feel like people at all. They each have one thing that characterizes them and that's it, it just repeats itself for the entire run. Like something out of a shounen show, except this is not a shounen (unfortunately). Maybe if it was a movie it would flow better and have less boring moments, but as a show, it really suffers from having to fill out 11 episodes. The last couple of minutes in episode 16 of Toradora for example, had more emotion in them than the entirety of this show, and those scenes could also be described as melodramatic, but it was done in a good way.
The show really looks good, the animation is consistent and the art on model like 95% of the time.
That's the reason I scored it 5/10 on MAL (without the production values it would be a 3 or a 4), but now, thinking about the show, maybe it should have been lower. Maybe I'll think about it some more.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, had this been feature length I feel it would have been better, and another issue I had with the show is the lack of showing flashbacks outside of the one scene when they hung out in the secret base.

And I blame Secret Base for it's popularity, goddamn song.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
28009l.jpg

Ano Hana

They each have one thing that characterizes them and that's it, it just repeats itself for the entire run. Like something out of a shounen show, except this is not a shounen (unfortunately).

After all the Medaka Box discussion this season, I now often have a perverse tendency to imagine what a given show would be like after a sudden genre shift to battle shounen. AnoHana would certainly be an interesting series to shift genres, especially after
revealing that Menma actually is a ghost and therefore opening the world to the possibility of supernatural powers
. I imagine the Super Peace Busters having to protect Menma from various evil orders seeking to use the power of ghosts to their own ends/dogmatic exorcists attempting to send her soul away before her wish can be granted/etc. and her wish being something that can only be granted if Jintan becomes Hokage/Pirate King/King of Soul Society/etc. It could work quite wonderfully, I think.

Grzi

After all the Medaka Box discussion this season, I now often have a perverse tendency to imagine what a given show would be like after a sudden genre shift to battle shounen. AnoHana would certainly be an interesting series to shift genres, especially after
revealing that Menma actually is a ghost and therefore opening the world to the possibility of supernatural powers
. I imagine the Super Peace Busters having to protect Menma from various evil orders seeking to use the power of ghosts to their own ends/dogmatic exorcists attempting to send her soul away before her wish can be granted/etc. and her wish being something that can only be granted if Jintan becomes Hokage/Pirate King/King of Soul Society/etc. It could work quite wonderfully, I think.

They could do a pretty good Bleach crossover.
I wouldn't be surprised if a doujin already existed.

cajunator

Banned
That song was so cheap, they could have had a loli cross dressing rapist confess his love to Jintan, and then that song starts for the ending credits, and people just start bawlin'.

That song is so beautiful. It deserved a much better show for sure.

Jesus fucking christ I hope my work doesn't check my history anytime soon.

You wont get burned if you dont stick your dick into the fire.

1stStrike

Banned
I wasn't sure what was going on at first when I watched episode 1, but it's got me intrigued. I like the character design and the stories have been interesting.

Also... the weird
transforming
sidekick is pretty bizarre, but I like it.

un-go-01_03d69wc.jpg

I thought I was watching the wrong kind of anime when that scene happened...

un-go-ep-11-001-614x3umghz.jpg

un-go014s8x49.jpg

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 08
This was a pretty good episode. I think it's the first season 2 episode to be aired as I don't remember watching this. The whole thing was time was pretty interesting and how Kyon affected the past without him knowing it. It's a pretty laid back episode though I am liking all these things that are happening or have happened at the same time without anyone really knowing it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wasn't sure what was going on at first when I watched episode 1, but it's got me intrigued. I like the character design and the stories have been interesting.

Also... the weird
transforming
sidekick is pretty bizarre, but I like it.

Is duckroll blackmailing you, perchance?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Duckroll can't blackmail me. I'm watching this of my own free will =\

Carry on, then! Just don't be frightened if duckroll acts a bit too excited when he sees someone watching. New Un-Go impressions to him are like fresh, warm blood to a predator.

Geneijin

Ano Hana

Disagree. If you want to know why it's popular, you have to look better. It's why I think you're misappropriating your criticisms.

The premise is good, I guess, although everything is really unconvincing, and the emotional scenes have zero impact. The characters are bland, boring, uninspired, didn't like any of them.
This is one reason why. Firstly, you have no investment in the characters as you're generally describing them all as bland, boring, and uninspired, so you don't care for the undeveloped character stories. Secondly, you don't like melodrama apparently, which is fine, but I disagree the impact was naught as you're ignoring one of the biggest reasons it's popular: the melodrama. The direction was entirely there.

The way the story is presented is too slow, a lot of the scenes were unnecessary, probably trying to make me get to know the characters, but the characters really don't feel like people at all.
And this is why you don't see its appeal and popularity. It wasn't a story that was too slow. It lacked focus. Ano Hana was a mess of appealing ideas. The characters embodied very appealing ideas. Easy to sympathize. There's just no character depth, but they weren't not people unless the melodrama was that off-putting to you.

The last couple of minutes in episode 16 of Toradora for example, had more emotion in them than the entirety of this show, and those scenes could also be described as melodramatic, but it was done in a good way.
Ano Hana was melodramatic so...

1stStrike

Banned
The Un-Go ED is really cool though, it's one to watch, not skip. :)

Yes, I can see I haven't been doing it justice :p

I'm really fond of this part in the first episode when the music kicks in:

It's better with sound - click the image to go to the video.

The way the sidekick walks around is just so weird/cute.

cajunator

Banned
Disagree. If you want to know why it's popular, you have to look better. It's why I think you're misappropriating your criticisms.

This is one reason why. Firstly, you have no investment in the characters as you're generally describing them all as bland, boring, and uninspired, so you don't care for the undeveloped character stories. Secondly, you don't like melodrama apparently, which is fine, but I disagree the impact was naught as you're ignoring one of the biggest reasons it's popular: the melodrama. The direction was entirely there.

And this is why you don't see its appeal and popularity. It wasn't a story that was too slow. It lacked focus. Ano Hana was a mess of appealing ideas. The characters embodied very appealing ideas. Easy to sympathize. There's just no character depth, but they weren't not people unless the melodrama was that off-putting to you.

It was a show with great ideas and character potential that just lacked a direction to take it all in. The core of the show about Menma was really depressing but beautiful, but it was all muddled up by stupid forced meldrama from the other characters. Menma herself wasnt the problem at all. she kept the whole thing together (as you'd expect)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Mahou Poni Twilight-Chan 6: Boast Busters
It's funny because it's like "Ghost Busters" except that she's busting the villain who boasts a lot, and "boast" rhymes with "Ghost"

Twilight-chan has just mastered level 25 Magic after grinding after reading a few books. It includes valuable spells such as "summon a door and doorframe".

Anyway, a traveling Magician named Tricksy shows up and begins... wait for it... boasting about how awesome she is because she can summon a level 1 lightning bolt and has level 1 telekinesis. Of course, Twilight-chan could beat her using only 1/10th of her power, but decides not to, because she's a shy pony desuu~.

Unfortunately, Tricksy-sama foolishly says she can also defeat the fabled boss, Ursa Major. It has claws that snatch and jaws that bite.

Anyway, some hooligans decide to find the legendary Ursa Major, and eventually they stumble across a terrifying monster that must be it.

Of course, Trixy quails before the might of Ursa Major, and so it's up to Mahou Poni Twilight-chan to save the day!!

Of course, Twilight-chan realizes that it's not actually the final boss, but only the Mid Boss, Ursa the Minor. She easily defeats it, busting the boaster.

Happy ending for everyone~

Grzi

I understand that the melodrama could be the reason for the popularity, hence the comparison with the scene from Toradora below, but in Ano Hana, it's hard to take it serious because it's extremely stupid most of the time. The characters just act stupidly and ruin certain moments. A good example would be
Yukiatsu's dressing up as Menma.
There wasn't really a reason a character would act that way, not that they couldn't explain why he did it, but they really didn't, it was just there, I was supposed to accept him acting that way because he's extremely sad because of Menma and everything that happened, but it's really unconvincing. It just made me laugh at the stupidity of it all.

Maybe, but it was very shallow. I don't dislike melodrama if it's done right, here it was filled with too much stupid stuff for me to care.

Yeah, that's why I was comparing that scene with it, I see that it could be misinterpreted from my post, my bad.

Tamanon

Banned
You know, rewatching my Brotherhood DVDs, it's a travesty the chopping they do for Yui's "Again", the first OP, to air it on regular television.

Makoto

Guilty Crown 10

PTSD, self-pitying, Inori's really odd realization of love and Shu's attempt at using Hare as a substitute for Inori. I actually chuckled when Hare slapped Shu. So much that has happened to Shu post-episode 9 feels out of place and I have to admit, I find it funny rather than sympathetic.
This drama feels too advanced for school kids. I thought I was immune to Guilty Crown's writing, but this episode man. This episode has made me realize what I'm dealing with here.

I thought the music worked well for what it set out to accomplish it really conveyed many of the emotions well and even the song, led to a better identity for Inori. It also worked to complete Shu and Gai too. I liked how Shu's and Gai's relationship evolved during those first few episodes. And Daryl is quite underrated, Kenji Kido, Yahiro too.
I feel the music has been getting better, almost as if the people behind it have finally found a way to mold it properly.

jman2050

28009l.jpg

Ano Hana

The premise is good, I guess, although everything is really unconvincing, and the emotional scenes have zero impact. The characters are bland, boring, uninspired, didn't like any of them. The way the story is presented is too slow, a lot of the scenes were unnecessary, probably trying to make me get to know the characters, but the characters really don't feel like people at all. They each have one thing that characterizes them and that's it, it just repeats itself for the entire run. Like something out of a shounen show, except this is not a shounen (unfortunately). Maybe if it was a movie it would flow better and have less boring moments, but as a show, it really suffers from having to fill out 11 episodes. The last couple of minutes in episode 16 of Toradora for example, had more emotion in them than the entirety of this show, and those scenes could also be described as melodramatic, but it was done in a good way.
The show really looks good, the animation is consistent and the art on model like 95% of the time.

Ano Hana was a case of a show not using its time wisely at all. Your comment that the story should have been told in movie form was spot on, as I felt exactly the same way. The first and last episodes are very good, it's everything inbetween that's the problem.

Also people like it because it looks very good and tragic love stories between familiar character archetypes is cheap easy dramabait. I mean, you can put forth the effort to actually make your cheap romance story good (see: Toradora, even Ano Natsu) but sometimes you don't have to. Also see: Anything KEY has ever been involved with.

And I blame Secret Base for it's popularity, goddamn song.

The song is excellent, gotta admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom