• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lupin III (1971) 12

Last of the Osumi episodes and it was a fun one. It was a bit more whimsical than I expected from his episodes what with the apparent running gag of the Elder being untied and tied back up and Lupin's snowmobile accident. It was rather impressive how so much was done with so little regarding the setting. I think everything took place either in the cave, the cabin, or the snowfield. Fujiko & Lupin interaction in the cave was top tier too. Great stuff.
If there's one episode I think got meddled with the most after Osumi got fired (or when the ratings didn't look too good coming-in), it's this one. A simpler premise indeed, though there's one interesting I noticed about the character relationships here:

Whereas the crime organization is almost-always seen working together and in each other's presence the whole time, Lupin and the gang are distanced both physically and mentally, drifting into each other across a vast winter wonderland. It's an effective way to symbolize the underlying conflicts of interest between each party involved, and it's even more significant when the leader of the crime job willingly honors his organization's code, killing himself needlessly upon failing to retrieve the statues. Meanwhile, those without dignity and a shred of trust between each other live on to do battle, whether in the midst of an inhospitable blizzard in Hokkaido (or wherever, Osumi didn't care for real-life settings that much), or even in the gang's hotel room. The episode's got that interesting contrast between the yakuza mentality of doing criminal business, and a distinctly-Western way at getting the job done. In the end, though, a smart elder living a "primitive lifestyle" slips everyone up.

So, it's not at all simplistic an episode. But it starts out fast and ends faster. Things can pass you by without time to digest interesting new information.

Lupin III: A Woman named Fujiko Mine 10

Uhh-huh.

On one hand, it could have been boring. On the other hand, I didn't leave very satisfied. It was notable, but I didn't feel more than a bit more "enlightened" by it, even if it was on details that I didn't care to know. That being, the episode did not add weight to the plot for me, merely some details.
I almost forgot that all paths end to Fujiko until "she" reminded me again that it's "her" story.
Well: it's only going to appeal to you if you haven't given up on the main arc already. I think the middle section of the series has definitely had the most trouble in making certain that viewers are still interested in both the episodic stuff and the main plot itself, and that's the main flaw with the execution overall. I stuck with the show, and it's doling out great episodes and plenty-enough consistency to end well. For me, this episode was just outright-fun and surprisingly-interesting.

5 and 6 are still awesome episodes, though. Never did understand why Duckroll liked 7, and 3-4 are middling.

Narag

If there's one episode I think got meddled with the most after Osumi got fired (or when the ratings didn't look too good coming-in), it's this one. A simpler premise indeed, though there's one interesting I noticed about the character relationships here:

Whereas the crime organization is almost-always seen working together and in each other's presence the whole time, Lupin and the gang are distanced both physically and mentally, drifting into each other across a vast winter wonderland. It's an effective way to symbolize the underlying conflicts of interest between each party involved, and it's even more significant when the leader of the crime job willingly honors his organization's code, killing himself needlessly upon failing to retrieve the statues. Meanwhile, those without dignity and a shred of trust between each other live on to do battle, whether in the midst of an inhospitable blizzard in Hokkaido (or wherever, Osumi didn't care for real-life settings that much), or even in the gang's hotel room. The episode's got that interesting contrast between the yakuza mentality of doing criminal business, and a distinctly-Western way at getting the job done. In the end, though, a smart elder living a "primitive lifestyle" slips everyone up.

So, it's not at all simplistic an episode. But it starts out fast and ends faster. Things can pass you buy without time to digest interesting new information.

I really like that take on it as it gives me something to think about. That would explain why the organization had this rigid feel throughout what with the command structure while Lupin's side was relaxed beyond care at times. Just sitting in the snow while using the mortar on the village seems like a fine example of this.

Milky Holmes 3

I'll give the show one thing; it has some awesome facial expressions. Dat Umezu.
Yes, yes it does.

Milky Holmes 4

Was... was that the MLP theme around the middle of the episode 0_o
I don't know, but I think the first season of Milky Holmes predates MLP, doesn't it?

Anyway though, that's the episode with that bear you showed a picture of in it, right? Hilarious stuff.

What have I gotten myself into?

seitokaioq8ao.jpg

This anime is hilarious, but it's also insane.
Sex Jokes: The Anime. It's good.

Happy birth- what?

seitokai2xo8m7.jpg
Well, why not?

Is this the most inappropriate anime ever or what?

seitokai4oqmlq.jpg

seitokai33hk64.jpg
About the only bad thing about SYD is that it's pretty repetitive -- everything's sex jokes, all the time, and some repeat. Apart from that it's pretty good though, and it's absolutely worth watching all 15 episodes (including the three OVAs). It's funny stuff as you have seen.

This is on my watchlist too.
Is it as cute as it appears?
Yes it is, and it's reasonably good too. Also episodes are only seven minutes each, so they don't take long.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
With my luck I'll probably pop out in the Aryan Republic of Arizona.

At least when The Narco-Fascist Kingdom of Sinaloa invades the southwest, you'll probably be safe if you join forces with the Theocratic Confederation of New Texas.

Phi Brain 2 - 10
tumblr_m5gq30CPxN1qmzddso2_500.jpg

Two beach episodes! That was actually a pretty good episode with Kaito and Gammon being hilarious. Funniest moment was definitely split between Kaito's reaction over no puzzles and then the everyone staring at Ana taking off the shirt and not at the model, Elena. Did they really forget who Ana is?

Plot was basic but fun, can't wait for the next part.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
About the only bad thing about SYD is that it's pretty repetitive -- everything's sex jokes, all the time, and some repeat. Apart from that it's pretty good though, and it's absolutely worth watching all 15 episodes (including the three OVAs). It's funny stuff as you have seen.

I can't remember if the source is a 4koma, but it feels like an old sketch show where they do a joke a minute in order to just keep the pace fast and keep the audience entertained. That way, if a joke bombs, you've already forgotten because they've moved onto another joke.

But yeah, it's also thematically pretty one note.

I really like that take on it as it gives me something to think about. That would explain why the organization had this rigid feel throughout what with the command structure while Lupin's side was relaxed beyond care at times. Just sitting in the snow while using the mortar on the village seems like a fine example of this.
Lupin's gang has never been a permanent establishment, yes. The problem's he has with Fujiko, to which Jigen and Goemon refrain from dealing with a good deal of the time, are always the problems that bring him and the whole plan down, if at all. And it's implied that, when they aren't doing a job, they're off doing their own business (sans Jigen who almost-always seems to stick around with Lupin—Fujikoike did a great job of explaining why, too).

I think this group mechanic is quite interesting in itself, and the two Lupin productions that play with it the most are Mystery of Mamo and Strange Psychokinetic Strategy. The former film definitively deals with Fujiko and her relation to the Lupin gang itself, whilst the latter live-action film crafts new backstories and personalities for each of the characters, in turn changing the group dynamic itself (furthermore by Goemon's absence). Pretty cool stuff.

Don't forget: ANN's illustrious Zac has declared Madoka "the best anime I've seen in years and years". Now go out there and buy those BDs!
Dying here srsly.

I had to wait and watch some early Madoka prior to watching some aged fellow's LD copy of Devil Hunter Yohko at A-Kon earlier this month. Didn't stay around too long, though.

Dresden

This post is one of the best posts I've seen in the history of NeoGAF... nee... the internet itself. The English language might as well go extinct, because no one will ever do better.

-"Anime News Network"

One of the rarest breeds of posts: a visually stunning, high-concept piece that also happens to have a poignant structure and relatable metaphors.

-"Anime News Network"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's both the hyperbole and the act of putting up a wildly positive review endorsing a show at the same time that you plaster your site with ads for said show, which is tacky at best.
Well, for the latter, I figured everyone would be used to that based on the site skins you see on IGN and GameSpot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One of the rarest breeds of posts: a visually stunning, high-concept piece that also happens to have a poignant structure and relatable metaphors.

-"Anime News Network"
Quite possibly the most compelling, visceral, gut-wrenching, action-packed posts made so far. The flair of Michael Bay, but tempered by the deliberateness of Michael Mann. Truly, the voice of a new generation.

-"Anime News Network"

LegatoB

It's both the hyperbole and the act of putting up a wildly positive review endorsing a show at the same time that you plaster your site with ads for said show, which is tacky at best.
Yeah, it was a lot funnier when they put up a review completely shitting on Dragon Age: Why Anime? while the site was plastered with an ad for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom