• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you guys might enjoy this.

9IhfR.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The subplots aren't particularly involving, though: they're not the sort of strands that would take a lot of time to sort out. There's still the setup underpinning the entire setting which also acts as the main driving force of the plot, that is, the mystery of the scub corals/Renton's origins, and even the problematic Truth subplot hinges around this central mystery. The episodic content has all served to drive character development (and it hasn't exactly been subtle about this; the show tends to hit you over the head with its themes) while fleshing out the universe.

Ao isn't a great show, but I think we're overreacting a tad bit right now. This being Bones, anything is possible, but for now I'm content to see just where it's heading.

I can't rule out any subplots receiving more attention than they deserve because the show has already wasted time giving characterization to characters that haven't earned or warranted that extra focus yet (Fleur, almost certainly Elena in the future). I really wish that Ao had more compelling comrades, because the current selection is only serving to hinder his self-discovery.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, sexy Kobayashi!

hmm, it looks like crunchyroll really is picking up what matters most next season

it'll have to wait till i've seen this masterpiece
Are you doll?
I've a feeling it's going to be one of those animator specific things where some just get it and some don't.

Mitsuo Iso certainly seems to have a grasp on it. He did the tank scene linked above, part of the opening scene in 0080 that opens that youtube vid where the guns have such force and recoil in the GM hands, and this scene from Blue Submarine 6 where there's recoil evident in subtle movement of the jacket and the bouncing strap.

http://i.minus.com/ibu85ufR5hdyih.gif

I think I get what you mean though as sometimes they just feel like props. Then again I think I'm thinking too much about this.
Oh yeah, that looks better.

Maybe there's a good reason for people like Kojima to go into the woods and play with airsoft guns and pretend to be fake soldiers. :p

Funny enough, I don't think there were many shots of them actually shooting guns straight on in that episode of Jormungand. It was mostly profile shots except for when they showed Jonah's sight picture as he was aiming at the Dragon.

I've a feeling it's going to be one of those animator specific things where some just get it and some don't.

Mitsuo Iso certainly seems to have a grasp on it. He did the tank scene linked above, part of the opening scene in 0080 that opens that youtube vid where the guns have such force and recoil in the GM hands, and this scene from Blue Submarine 6 where there's recoil evident in subtle movement of the jacket and the bouncing strap.

I think I get what you mean though as sometimes they just feel like props. Then again I think I'm thinking too much about this.
The forest scene in that sakuga reel is from Hashire Melos, the last notable Osumi production I'm aware. Excellent drama that I watched part of the way through, though I've yet to finish it.

Obviously the solution is we should all watch more anime.
I've just rewatched today's Green Jacket, Narag. We can talk about that.

Well, that is (probably) true, but I don't think it would have been better to cut that part from the adaptation of the chapter that corresponds to this latest episode, because I think it gives an important advise on Medaka's volition limits outside her present facade, rather than simply presenting further characters and plot lines cheaply on a flashback (that, well... it obviously does!), and they left that scene also for that reason.

Of course, NISIOISIN developed that further as I suppose he planned to do, but he had an opportunity with his own work that GAiNAX (probably) doesn't have now.

Well in the manga chapter, it was only an outline rather than an actual detailed, semi-silhouetted design. I see your point though.

Dresden

I can't rule out any subplots receiving more attention than they deserve because the show has already wasted time giving characterization to characters that haven't earned or warranted that extra focus yet (Fleur, almost certainly Elena in the future). I really wish that Ao had more compelling comrades, because the current selection is only serving to hinder his self-discovery.
Fleur's development had to happen. I could empathize with this sentiment if the show had gone off into a three-episode arc about her daddy issues, but it was resolved in the space of a single episode while developing more of the 'pointless' government subplots and furthering Ao's integration into Bleu.
Are you astounded about how it's one of the best shows of the season?
Sometimes I feel bad that I haven't caught up yet with MGX. Then I remind myself that Riichii gave up on it too.

Novid

Banned
Some of those nightmares just seem like fanfiction, unless it just never happens in the anime releases that Ive been getting since late 09. I dont know if its crazy or impressive that the JPN studios would actually choose the dub voice cast.

which makes the whole One Piece situation even more insane because if Toei made the dubbing act choices (thats a BIG if) then el o el.

survivor

Banned
Tsuritama 7

Did that
fucker Natsuki just slap Sakura? Asshole, you just crossed the line.
Good follow up to the previous episode and it's good thing they shifted focus to Natsuki now.
I wonder if his sister just ran away somewhere or got involved with the alien thingy

My only disappointment is lack of Erika screen time, such a travesty.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The answer depends on if it is Happy Science related.

Happy Science teaches reincarnation, so to have been born as an anime fan in this life means that I have nowhere to go but up in the next. Maybe I'll get to be a plankton or a gnat.

Narag

Lupin III (1971) 12

Last of the Osumi episodes and it was a fun one. It was a bit more whimsical than I expected from his episodes what with the apparent running gag of the Elder being untied and tied back up and Lupin's snowmobile accident. It was rather impressive how so much was done with so little regarding the setting. I think everything took place either in the cave, the cabin, or the snowfield. Fujiko & Lupin interaction in the cave was top tier too. Great stuff.

Dresden

Assuming reincarnation does exist, we'll probably be reborn into an era when everything is CG and traditional animation is a niche fetish for ultra billionaires who sponsor a few artisans in their spaceships.

Serial Experiments Lain 5-7

Is this real life?

I hope the next few episodes will finally start to explain something. Even if it doesn't, I just cannot stop watching this series. Apparently I like some trippy stuff.

Ultimadrago

Lupin III: A Woman named Fujiko Mine 10

Uhh-huh.

On one hand, it could have been boring. On the other hand, I didn't leave very satisfied. It was notable, but I didn't feel more than a bit more "enlightened" by it, even if it was on details that I didn't care to know. That being, the episode did not add weight to the plot for me, merely some details.
I almost forgot that all paths end to Fujiko until "she" reminded me again that it's "her" story.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You could be the Thoth of this era. You never know!

Let me just get on my spirit phone and see if El Cantare picks up. I wouldn't mind knowing the purpose of my life.

Assuming reincarnation does exist, we'll probably be reborn into an era when everything is CG and traditional animation is a niche fetish for ultra billionaires who sponsor a few artisans in their spaceships.

Just my luck that I'll finally be reborn as a Japanese person and all I'll have to look forward to are crippling social rigidity, sexual repression, and (possibly) enslavement by the Chinese.

wonzo

Banned
This is on my watchlist too.
Is it as cute as it appears?
it's a 7 minute injection of cute

which makes the whole One Piece situation even more insane because if Toei made the dubbing act choices (thats a BIG if) then el o el.
i remember reading somewhere a long time ago that oda didn't really have any issues with the 4kids edits but i can't find the interview anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom