• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's about a boy searching for a place to call home. I mean, at one point the show even dyes his hair. Themes of alienation/ostracism run all throughout, and the last few episodes (excepting the Truth eps) have all been about his integration into the unit, which in itself operates as an independent actor of sorts in the field.

We could just fuck around and say it's the Mass Effect 2 of E7, though. DaddyIssues: AO.
I thought it was about Elena Peoples being moe?

Did anything really come out of that
Papa guy dying a few episodes back?
It seems like they dropped that entirely.

That just sounds like a lot of extra hard work to me!

Plus, you do realise that you're talking about Studio White Fox, right?
Well, I did ask if there were any examples of sakuga shooting. lol

cajunator

Banned
I'll be honest - the only thing I can remember about the first half of Eureka 7 is that Holland is a giant dick. Maybe it'll take 26 episodes for AO to set up the dickishness of one of its characters. :p

Hah, true. I mean, I look at something like that Ghost Recon movie that came out a few weeks ago and even though that's basically a CG-fest, it looks like the guys are shooting weapons and also being shot at.

Are there any examples of "sakuga" involving soldiers shooting weapons? I'm wondering if it's a quality issue rather than an issue with the medium itself.

I enjoyed the way it was done in Cat blue Dynamite.
But Romanov is awesome so thats to be expected.

ZetaEpyon

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 13

What's the point?
Good episode. I like that they are dwelling on the fact that everything is repeating and I am even more impressed by how long it took for Kyon to actually realize that. Pretty nice that everything doesn't fully repeat and that it was addressed pretty quickly in the run of eight episodes. Though, can't imagine what they could be doing in repeating all this stuff six more times.

While I agree the concept is interesting, anyone who has only ever watched Endless Eight after the TV run was finished can never truly understand the frustration of having to endure it for eight full weeks real time.

While I agree the concept is interesting, anyone who has only ever watched Endless Eight after the TV run was finished can never truly understand the frustration of having to endure it for eight full weeks real time.

Yeah, I can't imagine having to deal with pretty much the same eight episodes over and over, over a span of eight weeks. :p

I guess I was lucky I never followed Haruhi during its rebroadcast and season 2/

Jex

Ah, gotcha. After going back and actually watching the ED for UN-GO that is an impressive conversion. I shamefully skip most ED's =\

There's nothing inherently shameful about that. Most ED's are distinctly inferior to their OP's.

Hah, true. I mean, I look at something like that Ghost Recon movie that came out a few weeks ago and even though that's basically a CG-fest, it looks like the guys are shooting weapons and also being shot at.

Are there any examples of "sakuga" involving soldiers shooting weapons? I'm wondering if it's a quality issue rather than an issue with the medium itself.

The Ghost Recon is a good example for unrealism, for examples weapons don't have a muzzle flash like in the video, it's a Hollywood thing.

The scene after the OP is pretty much how it would look like in reality

1stStrike

Banned

What have I gotten myself into?

seitokaioq8ao.jpg

This anime is hilarious, but it's also insane.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dude was a throwaway character, there to say one line and to leave one note.
Like everything else on the show then?

The Ghost Recon is a good example for unrealism, for examples weapons don't have a muzzle flash like in the video, it's a Hollywood thing.

The scene after the OP is pretty much how it would look like in reality
Well, whatever it is, something about how the soldiering in the show and in that last episode of Upotte just seems off.

What have I gotten myself into?

This anime is hilarious, but it's also insane.
You're watching "Girls say the craziest things" the anime!

Jintor

Today they got me started. Bioware shouldnt be fucking talking. Just because they got that cushy EA money and thinking they hot shit with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age. HOLD the phone boys... what that smell? BULLSHIT. First off NO ENDING for MASS Effect. I MEAN fucking Capcom gave me a DAMN good ending with Dragons Dogma. WHERE was that shit son? I mean if these folks were so "Talented" and EA hired all these major VA's to give out NO ENDING? FUCK THAT Nonsense.

Let me get to the main point though... Funi getting there folks on this Dragon Age SHIT, and I do mean SHIT shows how desprate these fuckers have gotten. This is OMG SRLY shit son. Not only The sequal is bad...this...i cant even call this anime - i cant even call it animation... its just dude bro shit comissioned by d-squad teams. Its like they said, "OMG i rememember dragonball z and some shit rite and toonami right so likes have some like this pixar thing and what not and it would be the greatest shit ever..."

ugh. no. This is why we cant have nice things folks. There is a reason why CGI is used very sparaginly in anime folks. It just LOOKS horrible. Not the fault of the animators. IT just does. Out of place. So when you have fuckers who cant come up with an ending (watch them steal from Dragons Dogma i bet you) say they know anime? dont make me laugh. Toonami had to come back to REMIND these hipsters what the GENRE MEANS FOLKS. Forget the Moe - thats a trend that is being transformed into something much more than NTR bullshit. When somebody who does nothing but look at fake ass vectors all day says they know anime? Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Glorious.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 14
This was pretty much a throwaway episode, literally.
I don't think anything new happened and all I did was think there were slight changes in clothes and maybe dialogue or even animation.

Narag

QkAQrl.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on what I find wrong about the shooting/action in Jormungand or Upotte, but the way they're shown makes it feel like they're shooting laser tag guns and not real weapons. They're basically modern day GI Joes.

Maybe it's the sound mix and the shots aren't loud enough, maybe it's because you can't show fine grain adjustments that people make between shots just to readjust after recoil, maybe it's as simple as the fact that they just stand there and don't give one fuck. But for whatever reason, even the cartoony freddiew youtube special effects movies end up feeling more like watching someone shoot a real weapon than what I've seen here.

Heck, maybe it's just something you can't animate at all?

Man, now you've got me thinking about this. There goes tonight.

Guess who dies in the latest Fujikoike!
Oscar!

Good episode, though I wasn't able to understand it's gratuitous amount of dialogue. More Goemon, less Fujiko, a lot of Zenigata and Oscar. Ultimately, though, it's just the prelude to the last two episodes, which I assume comprise a full two-parter.

Kingdom ep 2

Shin really sounds like Ichigo at times...which kind of makes him cool. Intense action and was really pretty epic, especially with
Hyou...or rather the king
. The animation style looks so nice for what they accomplish with the sword twirling and special effects.

Oh and Pride - Nothing's carved in stone is a good op.

Medaka Box 11

yooooooooooooooooooooooo

Too bad it's only from the flashback from chapter 20

Alright, bring on the disappointing anime-original last episode and let's wrap this up.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX! FUCK YOU GAINAX!

HQuZ9.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, now you've got me thinking about this. There goes tonight.
Haha, it's just been bugging me.

Watching the intro to Jormungand 10 again, I actually see that they try to simulate the body moving in sync with the recoil, but it still doesn't look right. Beyond the confusing geography of the scene, nothing has any weight in the world and nothing looks real. I dunno... I still can't put my finger on it.

Novid

Banned

Watching the intro to Jormungand 10 again, I actually see that they try to simulate the body moving in sync with the recoil, but it still doesn't look right. Beyond the confusing geography of the scene, nothing has any weight in the world and nothing looks real. I dunno... I still can't put my finger on it.

they forgot the side to side motion.

/XX/

Huh? They are following a straight path on the adaptation, nothing strange here.
Yet...

Narag

I was actually watching the Kusanagi vs Tank scene thinking about this. It's like she's battling against the recoil when she braces her body as it fires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uK8V9jG7Wjg#t=164s

Narag

Hrm, yeah. It also helps that the camera doesn't linger on her as she shoots, as they do with all the shots in that Jormungand episode.

I've a feeling it's going to be one of those animator specific things where some just get it and some don't.

Mitsuo Iso certainly seems to have a grasp on it. He did the tank scene linked above, part of the opening scene in 0080 that opens that youtube vid where the guns have such force and recoil in the GM hands, and this scene from Blue Submarine 6 where there's recoil evident in subtle movement of the jacket and the bouncing strap.

ibu85ufR5hdyih.gif

I think I get what you mean though as sometimes they just feel like props. Then again I think I'm thinking too much about this.

/XX/

They're teasing something they'll never get to :(
Well, that is (probably) true, but I don't think it would have been better to cut that part from the adaptation of the chapter that corresponds to this latest episode, because I think it gives an important advise on Medaka's volition limits outside her present facade, rather than simply presenting further characters and plot lines cheaply on a flashback (that, well... it obviously does!), and they left that scene also for that reason.

Of course, NISIOISIN developed that further as I suppose he planned to do, but he had an opportunity with his own work that GAiNAX (probably) doesn't have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom