• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I never said I hate exposition. I just don't like the exposition in F/Z. I do not find the lore interesting like I do in some battle series. That's not to say I don't find exposition in other ones annoying as well, but there are usually more things about the anime/manga that I like in that case. With F/Z, I find myself zoning out whenever someone other than Rider is talking and end up not knowing what is going on.

Well, that explains why you keep confusing character development scenes with exposition.

Jex

And I'm not particularly happy about being vindicated about Sankarea, either. I wouldn't be nearly as negative toward it as I am if it hadn't had such a strong start, so I find it incredibly regretful that my worst fears for the show are coming to pass. It deserved much better than it got.

Shows which decline in quality after the opening are generally painful to watch but, by and large, that's the way most shows are anyway. It's just not usually quite as painful as with Sankarea, where the decline in quality was so fast and so noticeable.

Dresden

Fate/Zero - 21

The show is so good I capitalized the title for once.

I had mixed feelings about the chase in the beginning, but man . . . what comes after was exceptional. All that interplay of irony and pathos and tragedy.

The centerpiece of course
was Kariya's encounter with the woman he loved in the church, with Archer and Kirei watching. Just the complete destruction of Kariya into a husk of a man, moreso than he ever was, the master marginalized since the beginning, and defeated so effortlessly by Tokiomi, now coming to grips with the ruin of his plans. Fucking loved it. Also appreciated the actual choking/murder of Aoi Tohsaka. Could've been a totally humdrum affair but the brutality of it all was played up by the intimations of violation and rape, Kariya forcing himself upon her, the slight hitch of her skirt up her thighs as he forces himself into her, Kariya's two faces mismatched up against another with the tears streaming out of his human one. He snapped, and he snapped really fucking hard. There's a lot more I loved about that entire scene.

And man, Kirei is fucking glorious.

trejo

Fat Xerox 20-21

Being pretty much everyone in this show is suffering.

There were actually a number of things that didn't make a lot of sense to me that I'm fully expecting to get adressed for the BD release, or hoping, at least. Stuff like
why did Saber not notice that the Rider she first saw wasn't riding his chariot? Why didn't she leave once it was obvious he didn't have Iri? Why did she just walk away without finishing him off and without saying anything? Why does every single CG vehicle in this show look so awful? Who was that guy Kerrytugu was questioning? Why is Zouken such a cartoony villain? Why did Kariya not try to explain his innocence any further before going all crazy? How could someone even care about Tohsaka's death anyway?
etc.

Now time to go back a few pages and check out that mess of black bars I couldn't read before.

Dresden

Fat Xerox 20-21

There were actually a number of things that didn't make a lot of sense to me that I'm fully expecting to get adressed for the BD release, or hoping, at least. Stuff like
why did Saber not notice that the Rider she first saw wasn't riding his chariot? Why didn't she leave once it was obvious he didn't have Iri? Why did she just walk away without finishing him off and without saying anything? Why does every single CG vehicle in this show look so awful? Who was that guy Kerrytugu was questioning? Why is Zouken such a cartoony villain? Why did Kariya not try to explain his innocence any further before going all crazy? How could someone even care about Tohsaka's death anyway?
etc.

Now time to go back a few pages and check out that mess of black bars I couldn't read before.
1. That was odd, but in the books I think Saber is trying to get away but Rider engages first. It really is a problematic scene--it doesn't make a lot of sense, at least for me. Saber would at least attempt some dialogue before spamming her haxxor move like that, you'd think.

2. She didn't feel that she wanted to get into another engagement. Ionian Hetairoi, yo. Saber had already realized that Irisviel was not on board and she wanted to get back, fast.

3. They veer from decent to bad, for me.

4. Kariya's brother, iirc.

5. Because he's a FSN character.

6. Because you can't explain away the corpse of your avowed enemy in front of the dead man's wife as she approaches you in the few seconds you are allotted before she overwhelms you.

7. Because she was his wife.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 06

aYdvX.jpg
Every. Fucking. Time.

Anyhow.

Pretty simple episode this week. Ibara went full tsundere this episode and I kinda liked the conversation in the first half regarding the seven deadly sins. It was a somewhat interesting introspective from these characters. The character interactions were once again pretty amusing to watch. The mystery this episode was... pretty lame, I thought. All that just because
he confused a for d
? Really?

I dunno, not sure what else to say here. It definitely wasn't the most interesting episode so far that's for sure.

Rosario Vampire 19
Cause why not have a costume change for no real reason.
Uh huh, another boring episode with an even more stupid "fight". Not sure if you can really call it a fight where they literally get hit by an enemy attack and OHKO the enemy right afterwards. And, we have two insert songs! I'm guessing they are trying so very hard to sell those CDs here. So very hard.

jman2050

Fate/Zero - 21

The show is so good I capitalized the title for once.

I had mixed feelings about the chase in the beginning, but man . . . what comes after was exceptional. All that interplay of irony and pathos and tragedy.

The centerpiece of course
was Kariya's encounter with the woman he loved in the church, with Archer and Kirei watching. Just the complete destruction of Kariya into a husk of a man, moreso than he ever was, the master marginalized since the beginning, and defeated so effortlessly by Tokiomi, now coming to grips with the ruin of his plans. Fucking loved it. Also appreciated the actual choking/murder of Aoi Tohsaka. Could've been a totally humdrum affair but the brutality of it all was played up by the intimations of violation and rape, Kariya forcing himself upon her, the slight hitch of her skirt up her thighs as he forces himself into her, Kariya's two faces mismatched up against another with the tears streaming out of his human one. He snapped, and he snapped really fucking hard. There's a lot more I loved about that entire scene.

And man, Kirei is fucking glorious.

I loved the
black screen with quick cuts to stills of Kariya attacking Aoi. It obscured what Kariya was about to do while completely intimating the intent and brutality of the act. And you're right about how the framing of the scene added a subtle sexual connotation to go along with it.

That was probably the most effective scene in the series so far.

Dresden

I loved the
black screen with quick cuts to stills of Kariya attacking Aoi. It obscured what Kariya was about to do while completely intimating the intent and brutality of the act. And you're right about how the framing of the scene added a subtle sexual connotation to go along with it.

That was probably the most effective scene in the series so far.

Yeah, definitely.
Those quick cuts really accentuated the mental echoes of Kariya's descent, as well. The voicework fills in the black absence of the screen. It has room to reverberate, to work.

Just fucking good, man.

And I mentioned this in the Fate/Zero OT, but Zouken just feels so unnecessary.

Also, motherfucking Kirei! Dude is so swag.

Dat smirk.

Dresden

Why is Kirei so apathetic towards everything
was it ever explained? is he just a psychopath
I think it's well established at this point that
Kirei's apathy is just a facade and he's profoundly fucked up inside.
Kirei's face there was such a great moment.

I giggle every time I think of his faces from episode 17. It's such a perfect "this is fucking retarded" face. You can see the disgust on his face. It's so blank but it's just there, man.

its hard to call something a remix when it has almost nothing in common with the original
good though
Shut it. It has plenty in common: chill as fuck, same singing children samples, sax in it, what the what. It's easy to call it a remix when it takes thematic elements and provides a whole new perspective on them.

Awesome though.

Dresden

Huh? Did they ever mention this anywhere?
I don't know if they did. Perhaps they covered it in episode one. It's something that's carried over from F/SN, and even in there it doesn't really go into it, it's just something you glean on the periphery of the fandom.

But he's so boring. :(
(F/SN spoilers ahead) Poor
Tokiomi. :( Only wanted to seek knowledge but in the end he literally gets backstabbed by his protege, his servant betrays him, his wife gets choked to death over his corpse, one of his daughters is getting worm raped, and the other gets banged by an orange-haired douchebag who's the adopted son of Kerry Tugu (one of his enemies) in the future.

jman2050

And I mentioned this in the Fate/Zero OT, but Zouken just feels so unnecessary.

I refer you to my previous post on this matter!

Zouken (like Sakura and, to an extent, Saber for that matter) are victims of the fact that this is still a prequel to an existing work. It's no coincidence that the most gripping characters are the ones that operate exclusively in this particular story.

trejo

For whatever reason, I think it came up at the beginning of the series? Maybe when Kariya was arguing with Zouken about Sakura?

Ah, well I guess that makes sense. All of that non-stop talking made my eyes glaze over at times so perhaps I missed it. And it's not like it was essential information anyway.

Also, I stopped going over to the OT because a number of those guys seem to be a little too into the whole Type Moon universe stuff and to be quite honest they kind of scare me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Legend of the Galactic Heroes] 027

Are Julian and Yang the new Robin and Batman? CREEPY

Holy fucking shit there's like motherfucking space battles and shit blows up and now you follow the soldiers and they count their strikes like in LotR and fuck it looks like fucking Star Wars where the fuck was all this awesomeness hiding?

Aim for the Ace! 8-12 - The best things about this show are the OP and ED. As for the show itself though... well, it has its ups and downs. This is probably an 8/10 series.

Note - I think I get some of the episode breaks wrong here. Is there an episode list somewhere, so I can figure out exactly what was in each episode? They start to blend together when you watch a bunch at once...

Ep. 8 - In this episode, the writers are sexist. The girls are all crazy jerks, while the guys are reasonable, sane people who try to explain to the silly girls why they're so crazy. Sure, Ochofujin, the MC Oka, and her friend Maki aren't as bad as the rest, but still, the imagery and events of this episode are VERY strong patriarchy-sexism. Quite unpleasant.

Yes, the above is basically what the plot of the episode is about. Apart from that... um, evil girl's really really stupid. Even beyond the above, it's also very hard to believe that almost the entire female team all agree with her... oh come on. She's so stupid that she cant' even realize that
Ochofujin isn't on her side and will not go along with her stupid plot
, but somehow she can get the loyalty of every single other girl on the team apart from Oka and Maki? Even for Japan, that's not very plausible. This is the worst episode of the series I've seen. No good points in this one.

Eps. 9-10 (I think) - The last episode's idiocy averted, there's a match. But because one team quit, it's Oka v. Ochofujin! Before that though, Oka's nervous the night before, and goes out to train at school. Coach just happens to be there at the same time, and takes her out to eat for dinner, saying that she needs to have eaten before the tournament. Yeah, that's not creepy at all... :S Oka tries to escape without actually telling him she wants to leave, but fails, so she's forced to eat. Anyway, as for the match, Oka's awful as usual. She loses 6-0, 6-0. However, about halfway through the match, Oka
actually manages to be good enough to force Ochofujin to actually try for about two minutes in the middle of the match, during one ridiculously long volley. (And by ridiculously lon , I mean like "has there ever been a professional volley that went on for that long" ridiculous.)

Somehow, this moment of competence is actually enough to impress Ochofujin and coach. But... um, she lost, really, really badly. Apart from that volley, she rarely even touched the ball. And she's supposed to be so good that she deserves the huge amounts of special attention coach gives her, that the other girls were complaining about in ep. 8? Um... sure, she was actually decent for a moment, but seriously... she loses the top matches really, REALLY badly.

Of course I know that she eventually will get really good, but is there a reason for that beyond that she's the main character, so via her main character powers she'll eventually be great?

Ep. 11 (unless this was ep. 10?) - In this episode, Ochofujin gets jealous that Oka is the coach's favorite and might actually get good if she keeps practicing, and tells Oka that she either should quit, or stop being friends (of sorts) with her. Oka quits...
before coming back four days later, because she likes tennis too much to quit for good. Fortunately Maki secretly saves Oka's tennis racket, when she tries to throw it away...
Also, this episode shows off more insane geography. So um, their school is in a city right on the ocean, and also right next to giant mountains that you never see except for this episode? This doesn't make a lot of sense...

Also, Oka is a jerk too. Sure, she's nice to other people, but she mistreats her poor, poor cat Goemon several times in episodes 9-11. Accidentally hitting him with a dart (even if it was an accident, what were you doing that there for...)? Kicking him off the bed? You're mean!
At least she didn't cut him with those scissors, when she was going to cut up her racket and he sat on it...
The part where Goemon took some photos of Oka in revenge for how she'd pulled his tail and taken pictures of him was funny stuff, though. :) Goemon, best character in this series by far!

Finally, Coach is a stalker. Sure, there have been several ... convenient coincidences ... where he arrives at school at night at the exact same time she's there, but this time it's one too far! He's clearly stalking her. You should be creeped out by that, not happy to see him!

Ep. 11-12 (after she returns) - Oka's back to training. I wonder if she'll get two points before getting wiped out in straight sets again, next time? Also, Coach is a jerk in the name of making her better. Again. Then she goes into another match. This time she actually has a chance. Clearly this opponent isn't as good as the two that have blanked her.
Yes, she actually wins, after a tough effort. Good job.

In the aftermath, Oka actually starts to get popular. I think she has a fanclub now... evil girl still hates her and shows it in various petty was as usual, though. As for Ochofujin, she's irritated that Oka's getting good enough to distract people's attention away from her, I guess... I guess she wishes Coach would pay her more of that attention he does Oka, too, but that Oka's good now is her biggest issue. But she wants nothing to do with that stupid idiocy headed by evil girl, she'll just show her skill on the court. Good for her, that's the right way to approach it. But Coach certainly shows Oka too much favoritism... I know she needs the most training for sure, but still, some of it goes a bit far (the dinner, the stalking, the way he brushed off Ochofujin at that practice...)

Anyway, Ochofujin does well in her match againt Midorikawa (that other girl who beat Oka badly earlier on), until
Midorikawa gets injured in a pretty stupid way. I mean, bleeding like that and an injury from hitting the court with her hand? I don't know...

... Um, and what's Coach's connection with Midorikawa, anyway...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aim for the Ace! 8-12:

Yep. This show rocks so hard. The show is always stylin, Oka's disco inspired outfit was the best. Goemon is also the best cat ever. Coachie is a total player. Midorikawa is so awesome. And Ochou finally revealed her true colors (which explains why shes buddies with the awful Otowa in the first place).

God bless this show.

. And Ochou finally revealed her true colors (which explains why shes buddies with the awful Otowa in the first place).
That's not really true... as I said, she wants nothing to do with evil girl's stupid stunts. She does want to be the best and be recognized as that, and does have a problem with Coach's favoritism, but she's not going to support that meanness, and instead just wants to show her ability through tennis...

As for that conversation at the end, well, what she said was true.

trejo

Y'know, going back to read everyone's impressions I realize I had a much more apathetic reaction to
the church scene
. I dunno, I
never really cared much about Kariya and even less about Aoi so there was nothing there to make me feel anything about these characters

It's too late, trejo.

You're already moon.

Who would win in a fight between Shiki and Kerrytugu?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ace o Nerae! 8-12:

Bellbottoms, jammies, salty bitches, crying, blushing, exploding butterflies and stalker coaches. This show has everything.

Ranko has a disgusting man face and should wear a paper bag over her head.

Jex

Fat Xerox 20-21

etc.

Because Kariya is a failure of a human being.

Jex

I loved the

It wasn't subtle though, it was just effective.

Anyway, as for the sequence itself
most of the time when an anime shows a scene of brutality like that the director doesn't seem to understand how to make it uncomfortable and unpleasant for the audience. Here, though, it was done very well and I was reminded of the infamous Perfect Blue rape sequence. Powerful stuff.

Soma

Because Kariya is a failure of a human being.

hey i'd like to see you try to save a little girl while
being infested with worms, being on the brink of death, and trying to control Berserker who hardly even listens to you in the first place. :(

Ultimadrago

Ace o Nerae! 11-12

Ugly girls (like "Chubby" and Ranko) need to get off of my tennis courts!

Coachie still doesn't give a damn while giving a damn. He's still cool.

There was some delicious salt as well.

Ace o Nerae! 8-12:
Ranko has a disgusting man face and should wear a paper bag over her head.

Words of a wise man.

Jex

[Legend of the Galactic Heroes] 027

Are Julian and Yang the new Robin and Batman? CREEPY

Holy fucking shit there's like motherfucking space battles and shit blows up and now you follow the soldiers and they count their strikes like in LotR and fuck it looks like fucking Star Wars where the fuck was all this awesomeness hiding?

Well, you see in the future space combat will be fought with axes.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 9

all i learnt from this was that badass priests should team up with badass dogs, deadbeats kicked out of their parents house end up working for the god of thunder and lazy people should just marry someone that isn't. such valuable life lessons~

trejo

Seriously, the more I think about it the more I hope this shit gets adressed for the BD.

If Saber was in such a hurry to get to Iri why didn't she leave immediately after she realized she wasn't there. Okay, so let's say she really wanted to tussle. She saw an opportunity and decided to take advantage of it but then, why the fuck did she just turn around and leave? Why did she end up wasting a perfectly good Kamehameha against Rider like that? She had the chance to finish off an adversary right then and there. That's one less thing to worry about but nooo, she just said nothing and left with no explanations or justifications given whatsoever. She couldn't have been in such a huge hurry to find Iri if she had time to expend her mana fighting Rider just for shits and giggles, apparently.

So stupid.

Rosario Vampire 20
In our next episode of Supernatural Bachelor, it's time to visit the in-laws! It was decent I guess, mostly cause they were basically causing the breakdown of mother-in-law there and breakdowns are always fun. The side gag of Kokoa basically bicycling through Japan and outspeeding everything was decent as well.

Dusk Maiden 8

Heartwarming episode. I loved the scene when
Yuko and Niiya were running to the roof.
Seemed pretty well animated to me.

And of course things can't get
too happy
, so we got the post-credits scene. Though honestly, this will probably lead to a pretty blueballs ending. We only have like 4 episodes left, right?

Narag

Seriously, the more I think about it the more I hope this shit gets adressed for the BD.

If Saber was in such a hurry to get to Iri why didn't she leave immediately after she realized she wasn't there. Okay, so let's say she really wanted to tussle. She saw an opportunity and decided to take advantage of it but then, why the fuck did she just turn around and leave? Why did she end up wasting a perfectly good Kamehameha against Rider like that? She had the chance to finish off an adversary right then and there. That's one less thing to worry about but nooo, she just said nothing and left with no explanations or justifications given whatsoever. She couldn't have been in such a huge hurry to find Iri if she had time to expend her mana fighting Rider just for shits and giggles, apparently.

So stupid.

The more I think about that scene, the more I want to revisit the extended conversation in the courtyard between her, Rider, and Gilgamesh as I'm wondering if something he said then really got under her skin.

Strike Witches Ep. 1

i65YDDpw6FsO4.gif

Strike Witches 13,789 (6, not including BOXes) (Gonzo/FUNimation)
2008/09/26 14,863 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 6)
2008/10/24 14,133 Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2008/11/28 13,665 Vol. 3 Limited Edition
2008/12/26 13,731 Vol. 4 Limited Edition
2009/01/30 13,134 Vol. 5 Limited Edition
2009/02/27 13,207 Vol. 6 Limited Edition
2010/06/25 *7,011 Blu-ray BOX (Twelve episodes)
2011/05/10 *5,416 Encore Press Blu-ray BOX
ite00jVZvkPcK.gif

*blows brains out*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The one you should really be pitying is
oni coachie
because
his girlfriend has a face of chiseled granite, poodle hair, and giant spindly spider legs

HAHAHAHA

All I'll say is that you should keep watching before judging. :p

Still wrong though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom