• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Your loss. More ghost sex for me.

Don't come crying to me when your soul gets sucked out through your penis.

goldfishum_zps008afda2.jpg

My clock says that there are a good 2 1/2 hours left in the day!

Anipages and raito-kun (both blog and twitter) are both good sources of specific critical articles and information, but they're not really general review sites, especially raito-kun.
General reviews aren't my thing anyway. I find it more interesting to review different parts of a production, or to review it by arc/by episode and analyze on a recap system every now and then. And since most anime fans are aware of the big famous shows, doing more obscure productions is a better idea anyway.

General reviews aren't my thing anyway. I find it more interesting to review different parts of a production, or to review it by arc/by episode and analyze on a recap system every now and then. And since most anime fans are aware of the big famous shows, doing more obscure productions is a better idea anyway.

I think many popular and famous shows cry out for critical attention for the very reason that they are famous - there are quite a number of problematic works that get embraced by a large section of the community, such as Ano Hana, and which badly need sensible perspectives to counterbalance the general gushing. Even for the popular works which are good, analysis to show fans why they are good and hopefully begin to educate them on how to think about animation for themselves is useful.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon 11

Good final episode.
Sawaki regained his powers rather nicely, dude properly just needs to get kissed to get his power. I wonder if he has sex, the shock will be too strong and he will lose it permanently. The Sawaki-Yuuki talk was weird. I thought they would spend more time on that issue but Yuuki just gave some philosophical crap and they moved on.

Overall I loved the series. The comedy was nice, it was educational and there was always something happening. In those type of slice of life anime, you always have characters just sitting and talking forever making it very dull. Moyashimon had a lot of comedy going on to never have a dull moment with the exception when it becomes an educational anime. And even then, learning about microbes isn't so bad. Maybe the lack of real drama might be an issue for some people but to be honest I never thought about it while watching.

Only two gripes about the series

The whole way Yuuki situation was handled was weird. Sawaki is his childhood friend and they both seemed very accepting of each other, I mean Yuuki believes in Sawaki's ability. So with all of that I never really got why he just ignored Sawaki for probably months. It just felt how they wrote him out of the anime and just brought him back in the last two episodes.

2. I still don't like how they are keeping Oikawa in the dark about Sawaki's ability. Doesn't seem fair when she is pretty much a close friend of him right now.

Anyway, does the live action series cover the same materials? Is it even worth watching?

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's true, too. Then again, the anime community is blissfully-unaware of many things, taking the tree for the forest in terms of overall perspective.
Plus you have people that are willfully ignorant, lashing out at any attempt to bring information to their eyes, as a few within this thread/community demonstrate.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
http://i.imgur.com/OM3U1.jpg[IMG]

Good.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. That's awesome. I never knew about this spin-off manga.

It made me notice how my Catalan is a bit rusty, though. It's been almost five years since the last time I was in Andorra, I think.

Plus you have people that are willfully ignorant, lashing out at any attempt to bring information to their eyes, as a few within this thread/community demonstrate.
AKA most of the world, unfortunately (though GAF is the exception, phew). The anime community isn't very good with accepting new thoughts and views on certain topics, I'd imagine, but I've been out of it for so long that I just don't know what's going on sometimes.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can't read any of that. What does it mean?

It's talking about the Strike Witches: The Witches of Andorra manga. They're proud of it.

The title is "A manga with Andorra as the setting", and it goes like "Strike Witches is one of the most popular series among the Japanese manga fans. And among the otaku, the name used to describe thos efans, there are many who live outside of Japan..." In the side they talk about some of La Vella's landscapes that you can see in the manga.

It's talking about the Strike Witches: The Witches of Andorra manga. They're proud of it.

The title is "A manga with Andorra as the setting", and it goes like "Strike Witches is one of the most popular series among the Japanese manga fans. And among the otaku, the name used to describe thos efans, there are many who live outside of Japan..."

I thought it looked like Strike Witches. Was just wondering what it was saying about it. Thanks.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yami to Boushi 09

89VCj.png

This guy. And here I was hoping Lilith
would be on Hazuki 24/7. Why would you even like this guy Lilith, stay on the true pure path that is yuri!

Naruto Shippuden 117 - 126
tumblr_m4lz9qK3Z81rwbs8po1_500.png

I guess I would put this fight, as the best non Naruto fight in Shippuden. It went so well for
Deidara
. Have you ever noticed how powerful Sharigan is? Sasuke is truly the best user and was so cool, his sword also works well. I enjoy the variety in giving numerous characters powerful justus and kekkeigenkai beyond just the main character, Naruto. It keeps things fresh. I will miss
joking Tobi whom is now revealed in the episode as Madara Uchiha, and Deidara

Kakashi Chronicles was good though. Arent there still theories that
Obito is alive?

Dub wise, I wish they had someone else as Karin, in the game (Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, and Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations) I couldn't warm up to her and even here in the anime I still cant, its something about the voice that sounds off, like shes out of breath at times too.

Star Driver next I think then rewatch Soul Eater and my backlog of on disc anime is done (well have to watch Redline and Dragon Age this week...)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 107:

0GAjzl.jpg

OH SHIT, DARK BUNNI--err, just rats, I guess.

I was totally not looking forward to an episode about
Chibiusa having a crush on a boy
, but it was decently entertaining. Average fight, average humor, but the important thing is that I'm slowly being coaxed into not hating Chibiusa.

Usagi's psycho voice when everyone insulted her cooking was amazing.

Sailor Moon S 108:

EvPQ0l.jpg

If Sailor Moon took place in 2012, Mamoru would graduate college and spend two fruitless years searching for even the most menial work as his mental health slowly declines and he ultimately kills himself.

HELL OF TERRIBLE ENGLISH. Really great episode, though!
Drunken Usagi is terrifying. The worst traits of her personality magnified x100000.

Daimon incompetence is always fun. I'm beginning to wonder how they're ever going to defeat
Eudial when she immediately bails at the first sign of trouble

qgktml.jpg

Haruka and Michiru's smugface is the best thing. Would avatar but I like Tomoe too much.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's Kunihiko Ikuhara, for those who aren't familiar with Hito, or who don't immediately think of Ikuhara when they see roses and fencing.
Other hallmarks of his direction were present but aren't as easy to convey through still images.

Episode 25 was one of the best I've seen so far in the show. Found myself laughing pretty hard, especially at one particular scene which was simply amazing.

Eureka Seven Ep. 40, 41, and 42

Three good episodes in a row, I'm impressed. It almost makes up for how awful 39 was. There was some great animation too, though they had to reuse a little animation as a result. Unfortunately, it was even more blatant this time.
R.I.P. 909. ;_; It's also sad that the Nirvash spec 2's abilities are pretty much always used to run away. I get it, Renton and Eureka don't want to kill anyone, but they could at least take out some antibodies. :\
Nothing Strike Witches is good, unless that article is ripping it to shreds.

trejo

Sankarea 8

I think I'm ready to drop this show.

I thought I could manage the serious drop off in quality if the show continued at least being interesting in its premise but they haven't really done anything worthwhile with any of the characters in quite some time and I get the feeling that's not about to change much soon. Perhaps I'll come back for the last episode or something but for the time being consider me disappointed.

Hyouka 5

It's just that it takes more than nifty direction and pretty visuals to keep me interested in something. Nothing about these characters or their stories does absolutely anything for me, at all. At the end, the big reveal left me with a massive feeling of dissatisfaction and I couldn't believe I'd wasted so much time finding out about the uncle's backstory only for it to end up being some absolutely banal shit about
some stupid festival getting shortened and the uncle getting caught up in the school's petty conflicts
with the stupid pun that makes up the show's very title being something of a facepalm-worthy cherry on top. I hate the way the way they try to build all this mundane and pedestrian stuff up into something it's not and I really, really don't feel like bothering myself with any of it any longer, Eru's eyes be damned.

Narag

Fate/Zero 20-21

I'm sort of glad I caught these back to back
Ending of the chase scene with Saber was rather bizarre. Kiritsugu's show of emotion and apparent loss of composure when he used the Command Spell would have been so out place without the excellent 18-19 to lead into this. I suppose we're due for a big clash at the end

Lupin III A woman Named Fujiko Mine 7

Goemon was cool but his antics were pushing that given the apparent altitude. Episode also struck me as weird as apparently I had little idea of what time period this occured in. That's always sort of awkward. Fujiko's just awful when in the lead role too.

Lupin III A Woman Named Fujiko Mine 8

Now this is more like it. The show shines when a large portion of the main cast is present and Fujiko's the binding element. Story deficiencies can be overcome when that chemistry is just right. Looking forward to the resolution of the Count stuff as that's the most interesting thing going on.

I thought this guy's head was stuck in the pillar.

Poyopoyo 20

I'll buy ten.

Poyopoyo 21

I hope this show never ends.

Space Brothers 8

So this is the luck Mutta needed. It's nice it was actually given some play rather than simply lip service by the JAXA guy pushing for his hiring.

Space Brothers 9

Glad I watched 8 and 9 back to back too.
Dealing with the sudden realization of a younger sibling's mortality is a little sobering and unexpected given how "feel good" the show has been so far.

The in-universe tragedy was a surprise as well.

Shiba Inuko-san 6-8

Disappointing. Letdown of the season although 7 was pretty funny.

Golgo 13 18

Mention of this reminded me it was on Netflix and that I had put it on hold. I remember why now too as for every awesome episode like the one where the guy develops new assault rifles or the violin ep there's a bunch of boring ones to trudge through. Show starts off strong then sort of tails off as far as I've seen. I'm surprised the dub didn't force a bunch of English accents given the setting for this episode. At least the actual execution of the killing shot was entertaining.

AKB0048

Failed generation sure sounds ominous.
Was Acchan the one that quit? Is this really being used as a plot device??
Kanata looks to actually be an interesting character. I hope she's around for a while.

You don't say.

Sailor Moon S 113

Uranus/Neptune/Pluto transformation scenes all in a row? We're not worthy.

Then this?

i6CmBrDc8rMfs.gif

That whole opening scene was fab.

Another one of those Sailor Moon in a Nutshell type of screengrabs.

It's wonderful how deliberate it is use to use the shadowed face on Tomoe anytime that lab coat goes on.

Sailor Moon S 114

Mimete trolled hard.

Hyouka 06
CB8y7.gif

I would just like to say nothing happened!
While it was an episode where they talk about the daily sins and solve a silly problem, it was still looking great along with the different ways to directing our focus that kept me watching. I'm not even sure where they'll go from here seeing as they did solved the title problem last week, but I guess I'm enjoying their slice of lives along with expressive imagery.

Jex

Sankarea 8

I thought I could manage the serious drop off in quality if the show continued at least being interesting in its premise but they haven't really done anything worthwhile with any of the characters in quite some time and I get the feeling that's not about to change much soon. Perhaps I'll come back for the last episode or something but for the time being consider me disappointed.

I am always proud of anyone who's able to drop a show they are watching!

I wonder if anyone did a piece when Sora no Woto photo-referenced a Spanish town.
Doubtful. Probably because it was a Spanish town full of French people who make Venetian glassware on Switzerland's French border, in a country that has a soldier princess playing Amazing Grace on a trumpet, following a Shinto-Christian religion with a miko-nun, treating tropical diseases only children get, accepting yen as currency while not being able to read kanji, celebrating Spanish traditions mixed with Chinese New Years legends, shooting at African owls (that try to keep them away from schoolgirl ghosts) with German rifles.

Why drop Fate Zero?

The atmosphere doesn't do anything for me, the exposition is intrusive and messes up the pacing, the only character I like hasn't shown up once in season 2, the fights are subpar. I might pick it up again when it's over, but at the moment, I see no reason to continue.

Branduil

The atmosphere doesn't do anything for me, the exposition is intrusive and messes up the pacing, the only character I like hasn't shown up once in season 2, the fights are subpar. I might pick it up again when it's over, but at the moment, I see no reason to continue.

I still don't understand how you can complain about exposition and its effect on pacing while enjoying battle shounen shows.

I still don't understand how you can complain about exposition while enjoying battle shounen shows.

I never said I hate exposition. I just don't like the exposition in F/Z. I do not find the lore interesting like I do in some battle series. That's not to say I don't find exposition in other ones annoying as well, but there are usually more things about the anime/manga that I like in that case. With F/Z, I find myself zoning out whenever someone other than Rider is talking and end up not knowing what is going on.

Edit: To clarify, I actually do like the concept of the Holy Grail War and stuff involved with it, but I find the way it is explained and the volume of said explanation massively boring. I thought it was better done in what I watched of FSN and easier to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom