• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline Dub

Not as good as the Japanese cast, but not bad by any means. With the added benefit of not having to look at the bottom of the screen and then quickly shift my eyes back up to only find I've missed the action, I think it puts it way above the Japanese version for people who don't understand the language.

The whole cast was great, but Liam O Brien absolutely NAILED Frisbee. Loved Morris as Trava as well.

Also watched this on a big-ass 65 inch TV, so that made it even more awesome.

Speaking of Trava: I've been interested in that for a while. Any impressions? It looks like the precursor to Redline (from Ishii and Koike), though probably less glamorous overall.

flawfuls

Speaking of Trava: I've been interested in that for a while. Any impressions? It looks like the precursor to Redline (from Ishii and Koike), though probably less glamorous overall.

It's nothing special, but it's worth a watch I guess. It's pretty much the exact same thing as redline, but inferior in every way.

It's nothing special, but it's worth a watch I guess. It's pretty much the exact same thing as redline, but inferior in every way.

Bah, should have watched it first then. Ah well, guess I'll check it out anyway. Trava is among my favorite characters (though Shinkai sucks).

I still have time left. Only watched the first few scenes of Redline thus far, so I'll wait to grab Trava and get the prologue out of the way (and it seems to be set in the same universe, too!).

Solune

Fate/Zero - 21

The show is so good I capitalized the title for once.

I had mixed feelings about the chase in the beginning, but man . . . what comes after was exceptional. All that interplay of irony and pathos and tragedy.
I don't know if it's just me but I loved the chase scene.
Aim for the Ace! 8-12:

Yep. This show rocks so hard. The show is always stylin, Oka's disco inspired outfit was the best. Goemon is also the best cat ever. Coachie is a total player. Midorikawa is so awesome. And Ochou finally revealed her true colors (which explains why shes buddies with the awful Otowa in the first place).

God bless this show.

I endorse all of the above.

flawfuls

Wait I take back my last statement. I got Trava mixed up with Tailenders. I've only seen a bit of Trava so I don't have an opinion of it.

It's much shorter than Redline (45 minutes in 4 segments—an OVA through-and-through), and it'll probably be low-budget by comparison. But I like the premise a lot, and it looks like it's worth a try.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dragonball Z 154

vlcsnap-2012-05-28-02h45m52s0.png
Norio Wakamoto yelling loudly enough for everybody on Earth to hear him.

Cell's second form looks goofy.

Branduil

Hyouka 6

i5cHR6nHmV2fv.jpg

Stop pretending you don't like it, Houtarou.

It seems as if each arc is going to begin with mundane mysteries, so the people who disliked the first few episodes aren't going to like this one. Nor will they like the fact that the entire episode basically takes place in one room. Definitely one of the weaker episodes, although the character interaction is still enjoyable, and KyoAni does its best to create interesting framing and blocking.

Also, Satoshi should really just go out with Mayaka if he's already getting nagged anyway.

idioXpCLoIQ8k.jpg

I liked this shot just for how many layers of depth are present. I count at least nine.

Is this show stealth edutainment for teaching English to otaku or something?

Nisemonogatari 1-11
I like Araragi when he's serious and not a pushover. A lot of funny moments. Episode 8 was hilarious and creepy at the same time. Almost every girl is Tsundere.
Can't wait for Kizumonogatari.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ace o Nerae! 8-12

So damn good. Bitches be salty and plotting all day, every day. Oka with that animal abuse, Ochou with that ultimatum and love you/crush you attitude, Todou with those sparkles (damn you), and Coachie being the boss that he is and RUINING MY OTP OF OKA AND OCHOU.

Yami to Boushi 13 [FINAL]

RsfPG.png

This is some bullshit!
You have this girl travel multiple worlds in search of the love of her life only to get shafted in the end? What the FUCK! I knew it was foolish of me to let myself get wrapped up in this nonsense as it was already confusing as hell to begin with, but to see Hazuki so damn close to getting her girl back only for Hatsumi to go "I'm sorry, but I can't go back. I need to go back to my gigantic library of eternity where I won't be doing anything relevant whatsoever." was just a punch in the gut. And who in the hell thought it would be a great idea of having the girl come back as her love's daughter? "Yeah, when we see each other again, I'll be your daughter."

What the hell?!

The kissing scene had no effect on turning this around for me. If anything it just made it worse, like pouring vinegar on a papercut. What irritates me more is that the crazy douche guy who was prancing around during the series got a better ending than Hazuki. That's so fucked. And the fact that right after she "resolved" everyone's story she wanted to go out adventuring again which totally turns her reason for leaving Hazuki to shit.

I thought Strawberry Panic got me good when they robbed me of my
Yaya and Hikari pairing.
Boy was I in for a treat.

If it wasn't 1am in the morning I'd be drinking...

Screw it, this calls for one.. or a couple.

/yurigrief

wonzo

Banned
It's much shorter than Redline (45 minutes in 4 segments—an OVA through-and-through), and it'll probably be low-budget by comparison. But I like the premise a lot, and it looks like it's worth a try.
Don't let the low budget look of the show fool you. Trava is full of sakuga moments. It's great!

Yami to Boushi 13 [FINAL]

RsfPG.png

This is some bullshit!
You have this girl travel multiple worlds in search of the love of her life only to get shafted in the end? What the FUCK! I knew it was foolish of me to let myself get wrapped up in this nonsense as it was already confusing as hell to begin with, but to see Hazuki so damn close to getting her girl back only for Hatsumi to go "I'm sorry, but I can't go back. I need to go back to my gigantic library of eternity where I won't be doing anything relevant whatsoever." was just a punch in the gut. And who in the hell thought it would be a great idea of having the girl come back as her love's daughter? "Yeah, when we see each other again, I'll be your daughter."

What the hell?!

The kissing scene had no effect on turning this around for me. If anything it just made it worse, like pouring vinegar on a papercut. What irritates me more is that the crazy douche guy who was prancing around during the series got a better ending than Hazuki. That's so fucked. And the fact that right after she "resolved" everyone's story she wanted to go out adventuring again which totally turns her reason for leaving Hazuki to shit.

I thought Strawberry Panic got be good when they robbed me of my
Yaya and Hikari pairing.
Boy was I in for a treat.

If it wasn't 1am in the morning I'd be drinking...

Screw it, this calls for one.. or a couple.

/yurigrief
lol. just think of the future
mother & daughter incest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Guys I think I'm in one of my mood swings when I hate anime. I get them like once every two years or something. I just can't bother myself to check any currently-airing shows anymore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's because everything pales in comparison to LOGH.

Guys I think I'm in one of my mood swings when I hate anime. I get them like once every two years or something. I just can't bother myself to check any currently-airing shows anymore.

And you're complaining about it? Dude, you have a chance to break free from the clutches of the worst medium out there. Run! Run and don't look back!

But serial, know need to force yourself to watch stuff. Everyone has those days.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You have not even begun to understand the meaning of sadness.

sonicmj1

Why is Kirei so apathetic towards everything
was it ever explained? is he just a psychopath

The short answer is yes.

For the record, I must have some kind of soft spot for mustache-twirlingly cartoony villains, because Zouken is kinda growing on me. Though maybe not in the way the authors intended.

And I'm not particularly happy about being vindicated about Sankarea, either. I wouldn't be nearly as negative toward it as I am if it hadn't had such a strong start, so I find it incredibly regretful that my worst fears for the show are coming to pass. It deserved much better than it got.

It really did. It hurts seeing the potential shown by the first three episodes getting squandered like this.

I might have been less disappointed if I hadn't forgotten this was a DEEN show.

Trava 1 (out of 4)

Okay Flawfuls: this isn't Redline. This is Lupin, and even then it's Lupin set on a Bebop scale. Seriously. It's all about the double-act between a jerk-ass, off-the-walls lagomorph humanoid named Trava—and his trustworthy, frank-and-fatherly crustacean friend Shinkai. They found a girl at the end too, she's pretty transient and, for reasons still unknown, an amnesiac with a scar and an hourglass figure that completely puts Fujikoike's to shame.

Sure: this was definitely just wheel-spinning and introductions. But there's something compelling about the way Katsuhito Ishii wrote the dialogue, planned out the quirky characterization, and worked with Takeshi Koike on the brisk, snappy direction with which Trava's intimate tale of remote scouting and mutual discovery in the depths of interstellar space is woven. Not to mention how expressive and interesting the off-model animation from Koike and the other key-ers can get at times, supplemented by smart variations in directing (one scene feeling like an ode to 2001's pod sequences, before becoming something quite different!). Overall, though, the brisk pacing and befitting short length of this first episode made everything work together, and I'm already hooked on what seems to be an engaging podunk space opera of sorts. With very Western animation, ideas, and bro-slapping.

The people who worked on this OVA should be enough indication of how great this was. Ishii and Koike at the helm, assistant directing from Sayo Yamamoto (hmm doesn't seem familiar), and even Hiroyuki Imaishi does keys and storyboarding in the next couple of episodes! Can't wait for the next.

Branduil

infinite stratos dub 1 "All My Classmates are Female"

i've never seen an episode of this before and i wish i'd have kept it that way. i can't even begin to imagine how someone could watch this shit without the ridiculously bad dub. i mean, even with the awful accents it's almost completely unbearable to watch this shitty collection of terrible anime tropes ranging from the abusive older sister, the snobby rich girl, the ditzy teacher, the lame and boring as fuck harem protagonist and the tsundere childhood friend.

fuck otaku forever for lapping this shit up in droves.

You've finally experienced the show which redefines "so bad it's awful."

Risette

A Good Citizen
Trava 1 (out of 4)

Okay Flawfuls: this isn't Redline. This is Lupin, and even then it's Lupin set on a Bebop scale.
Speaking of Koike and Lupin, when I viewed the Party 7 opening (animated by Koike for a live-action Ishii movie) -- I immediately thought that Koike would be perfect for a Lupin reboot and talked about it with a friend. This was before even the rumors began. Then like a month or so later, the rumors began. Then I was right. I am a prophet.

Too bad Yamamotofujiko is terrible.

Koike's doing a great job on the new series, that's for certain. He's also bogging it down in the process, leading to budget inconsistencies. Damn is it slick, though. This Trava stuff, of course, is so much more natural for Koike.

I like Yamamoto's style, mainly because it works for the kind of witty Lupin she's doing, but it could be better overall (some of the blame lying at the feet of the episode directors). Koike would definitely do a better job with the character relationships and development, but I guess the producers were scared shitless of Redline's long production time, delays, and difficulties.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Koike is a better director than Yamamoto simply because he knows how to have fun. Something Yamamoto seems incapable of; going by her work in Michiko and Lupin.:p

Koike is a better director than Yamamoto simply because he knows how to have fun. Something Yamamoto seems incapable of; going by her work in Michiko and Lupin.:p
Duckroll and Jexhius are gonna nab ya, Lafiel!

If fun means goofing around, then yes. But she certainly likes sharp wit, which I find pretty fun too.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Come back to the thread when you can describe it, then. I can describe it easily: slick and flashy, but dry. Dry can be looked over when everything else is working nominally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom