• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kemeko DX Ep. 1

Overall this was decent. The humor didn't really work for me, I chuckled a few times. Fanservice was unnecessary, rolled my eyes at some of the shots. Production values were better than expected, the action actually wasn't too shabby. I would have preferred less CG, but there was definitely some good animation. Hopefully the production values stay at this level. In regards to the non-comedic writing, there isn't too much to say. It's not particularly bad, other than some cheap attempts to get an emotional rise out of the audience.
ib1S4NFVwDopj3.jpg

This scene in particular.

iDIIGijvGwwha.gif

A sample from one of the action scenes.

Theonik

It definitely started out slowly though. I have two questions concerning the ending:

1. When did Lelouch decide to take a fall and let Suzaku rule? In the C space?
2. Did Charles and Marianne choose their path because they feared Schneizel and felt it was the better alternative?

And damn, Nina was infuriating!
After leaving C's world, and the flashback was after beating Schneizel, that's was part of the Keikaku and why Suzaku helped him gain power.
Charle's and Mariane were planning it for a long time with CC and VV, Charle's got the idea after seeing his family stabbing each other in the back for power and how the world is filled with lies I think. They really thought it was a better world as opposed to a response to Schneizel

sleepykyo

Kemeko DX Ep. 1

Overall this was decent. The humor didn't really work for me, I chuckled a few times. Fanservice was unnecessary, rolled my eyes at some of the shots. Production values were better than expected, the action actually wasn't too shabby. I would have preferred less CG, but there was definitely some good animation. Hopefully the production values stay at this level. In regards to the non-comedic writing, there isn't too much to say. It's not particularly bad, other than some cheap attempts to get an emotional rise out of the audience.

iDIIGijvGwwha.gif

A sample from one of the action scenes.

That is amazing.

Ultimadrago

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4s7zdW6hm1qbyxr0o1_500.gif[img]

Bad.

Also last Hyouka episode - boring.[/QUOTE]

ponpo reviews are the meaning of love.

[quote="Jintor, post: 38315677"][IMG]http://f.cl.ly/items/0d3l0J2C1F0o0L1c2h1v/13383362181337274491749.jpg[IMG]

I really don't know where the fandom of based Madoka sprung up from but it's really amusing[/QUOTE]

So are all woman named "Madoka", playas?

Articalys

Hyouka 6

Sure, this episode was very laid back in its pacing, but I didn't really mind. I still like the characters and their interactions, and a simpler mystery is fine for me too.

-----------------

Also, I was wondering, exactly what constitutes things being "spoiler-worthy" for various shows? It seems like every person has a different scale for each series, so seeing some people black out certain things while others leave them out in the open can be a bit troublesome.
Not that people ever follow proper spoiler decorum anyway, but was just wondering.

Also, I was wondering, exactly what constitutes things being "spoiler-worthy" for various shows? It seems like every person has a different scale for each series, so seeing some people black out certain things while others leave them out in the open can be a bit troublesome.
Not that people ever follow proper spoiler decorum anyway, but was just wondering.
When in doubt, use spoiler tags.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Spoiler code everything. Black bars forever.

survivor

Banned

I initially was using them on plot twists or new reveals but I started seeing spoiler tags for mostly plot related stuff so I started following that. I'm still unsure about what's spoiler-worthy so I just do this:

wonzo

Banned
i'm actually rather fond of the mundane nature of Hyouka's mysteries >:

Bodacious Space Pirates 21

Whoa, what an action packed episode!
Ai should've won :(
This show has certainly jumped up in quality ever since they switched to brand new stuff not from the books.

Ultimadrago

Around these lines.

For "Slice-of-Life" genre, (Hidamari Sketch), I tend to be open about more things because at the end of the day, I never believe it will spoil the experience for someone if they decided to get up and watch. I'll spoiler a few things just to not make it all out in the open, but most of the events in such a genre hold little "following weight."

Everything else (and comedy) will usually gain a spoiler for specific events and not get spoilers for harmless observations on character growth, development (as long as I don't tie it with an event I consider "important" or one that could "hinder" someone's discovery of they decided to watch on their own) and common/simple actions.

Also, "spoiler-jokes" and whatnot.

I feel like I could write more on this for some strange reason, but that's simplifying how I spoiler things.

Articalys

Oh, I definitely err on the side of caution myself, but there are a few things I've noticed left open that, even if 90% of the people here find it trivial, probably still deserve tags. And then there's the issue of what sorts of screencaptures are spoilerish...

Well, anyway. Time to finish things off with Fate/zero.

Kids on the Slope: Episode 06

Kaoru's moving stuff continues to remind me of my school years. Fun times.

I love that Rock is being demonized in the series, hahaha. Also, kudos to Kaoru for trying to keep Sen out of trouble without making what's her name look bad. He should just tell him already, though. : \

DRAMA

previews, plot stuff in an episode, conclusions well thats what I follow, oh and final attacks...I hate having final attacks spoiled...well I dont wanna be banned for spoilers again so I guess Im extra cautious

-----------------

I'm usual only spoiler specific events and such if I'm directly talking about an event or something. Otherwise, it is just my vague random ramblings of the episode I just watch.

Defuser

Anything that causes a wtf, a twist, a big change in the plot. If I don't spoiler, I'll try to make it vague as possible in order not to ruin it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fate/Zero 21
I've seen pretty much all of the plot conflicts laid out already, so I guess I don't really have to even bring them up. I guess this is what happens when bad VNs get turned in to huge productions.
The CGfest in the first half of the episode really just didn't do anything for me. Felt really silly and low intensity. The back half was forced drama where stupidity reigns supreme to create false tension.

Makoto

Princess Jellyfish (Kuragehime) 11 (FINAL)

If I had to describe Princess Jellyfish, I’d call it a delicious entree that left a very enticing aftertaste minutes after you’ve eaten it. It was not one of those “I gotta watch one more episode...” Type of shows but whenever I finished an episode, it left a lot to reflect on. I had this show in my backlog for a long time. Too long. But I got around to it and it was a good experience. The relatively unique character designs were outstanding and I loved that the “stylish,” were given doll-like appearances. The character designs in general tell a story in and of themselves which I feel is a testament to the show’s brilliance.
You can see the incredible change when Tsukimi goes from this sweatpant-wearing shut-in to a beauty icon thanks to Kuranosuke’s makeover. Though it’s a bit over-the-top, you’re capable of understanding why Kuranosuke’s brother wouldn’t be able to recognize “before” Tsukimi following a date with “after” Tsukimi, because that on-the-fly character design is so successful
. Elements like that really complement the show’s themes of image and recognition.

Sort-of tangent,
what partly gives me such appreciation for it is that it avoids the anticipated reaction/outburst cliche of Kuranosuke’s love for crossdressing. His family already knows what he does, so we as the audience are already free from the yelling match that typically erupts from such plot elements in general media. Kuranosuke is never caught by the Sisterhood, so we also don’t have to endure the, “OMG U WERE A GUY?” Reactions that I’m sure a lot of people were dreadfully expecting. Didn't have to put up with that stuff at all (with the exception of Tsukimi which was integral to have).

If I had to change one thing, it would be the pacing. I felt shorthanded with the ending. In terms of narrative, the ending is certainly complete but as far as the characters go, I feel like someone’s trying to sell me the manga (which is probably the case). I probably would have condensed the first half in order to give more space to expand the second half. Though I wasn’t completely satisfied with the ending, it didn’t hinder my enjoyment at all. It was an experience that convinced me to reflect on how I see others. 4/5

Squid Girl 12 (FINAL)

I didn’t find Squid Girl to be very funny. In fact, the most it got out of me were a few chortles. What it lacks in the comedy department, I think it makes up for with its charm. The art direction is so clean and simple. You’d probably be hard pressed to find a QUALITY still from the show. The show gets better as it goes along. It’s once the characters settle-in and become familiar with each other does the show live up to some of its potential. Not much to say when it comes to this other than the first skit of episode 11 was a better mystery than anything I’ve seen from Hyouka (this jab at Hyouka wasn’t intentional, it was just the first thought that came to mind after watching the skit). 3/5

survivor

Banned
Squid Girl 12 (FINAL)

I didn’t find Squid Girl to be very funny. In fact, the most it got out of me were a few chortles. What it lacks in the comedy department, I think it makes up for with its charm. The art direction is so clean and simple. You’d probably be hard pressed to find a QUALITY still from the show. The show gets better as it goes along. It’s once the characters settle-in and become familiar with each other does the show live up to some of its potential. Not much to say when it comes to this other than the first skit of episode 11 was a better mystery than anything I’ve seen from Hyouka (this jab at Hyouka wasn’t intentional, it was just the first thought that came to mind after watching the skit). 3/5

Agree with you there. I just felt it wasn't as comedy driven as I expected it to be. The show is very charming and they got some good moments but as a comedy show, it falls short.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fate/Zero's great.
I really like parts of it. Other episodes just don't do anything for me. I think the action peaked back in like the eighth episode with
Kirutsugu versus Kayneth in the mansion.
A lot of stuff after that has been pretty limp wristed.

Thoraxes

Bodacious Space Pirates 21

Whoa, what an action packed episode!
Ai should've won :(
This show has certainly jumped up in quality ever since they switched to brand new stuff not from the books.
Well that's good. I thought they did a poor job with turning the book's content into anime from what I know of it.

survivor

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 7

This is stupid.

First half was good and the highlight was Anthy getting slapped. Then we started getting into more lame dueling and it went downhill.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really like parts of it. Other episodes just don't do anything for me. I think the action peaked back in like the eighth episode with
Kirutsugu versus Kayneth in the mansion.
A lot of stuff after that has been pretty limp wristed.

Shit will definitely get real in the next couple of episodes in terms of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom