• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
VXrKx.gif

*Writes down Redline on 'Next to watch list'*

Korra no Densetsu 8

Re-watched it again... hoooooooly shit. I want it to be next Saturday already.

Articalys

At this point, I'm just worried that the last three episodes of Fate/Zero are going to be so intense that my heart will give right out while watching them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
At this point, I'm just worried that the last three episodes of Fate/Zero are going to be so intense that my heart will give right out while watching them.

I have no doubt in my mind about that. My heart's totally going to fail me during the final scenes.

Articalys

I would also like to add that, at the end of Fate/Zero 22,
they used that twisted version of "let the stars fall down" perfectly

qcf x2

I certainly respect that everyone has their own interests, but I can't help feeling that by restricting your gaze as much as you do you might be missing out on anime you'd enjoy. I don't know what you've seen, but have you tried more offbeat shows such as Gankutsuou, Mononoke, or Tatami Galaxy? Well-made shows that may be a bit outside your comfort zone but offer a powerful experience you can't get anywhere else, such as Haibane Renmei, Mushishi, or Wandering Son (from the director of Fate/Zero!)? Older shows such as Dirty Pair, Future Boy Conan, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Movies such as Genius Party, Memories, or Hosoda's One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island?

You can take or leave these suggestions as you please, but they'd be good departure points for further exploration of the history of anime if you feel so inclined. I know some people consider having a backlog a burden, but I view it as a positive - there's always something to look forward to.

At any rate, if you want an airing show to watch during the summer, I'd suggest Binbougami ga!. It's a comedy, from the director of Gintama, that doesn't fit into any of the categories you mention. The chapter of the manga that I read was hilarious, and fits the strengths that this anime team has already shown, so I expect the show to be quite good.

Thanks for the suggestions. I always take them into account. I really don't have a preferred genre or anything. Some of my favorites:

Gunbuster/Diebuster
Gurren Lagann
Nadia
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Steins;Gate
Michiko e Hatchin
YuYu Hakusho
Geass

I even really liked Mahoromatic. See? All over the place. I just have learned that certain formulas usually don't work for me. I still give like 4 or 5 shows per season a chance, it just so happens that they usually end up really disappointing me (Space Pirates, with that incomparably excellent intro). I'll see what you guys think of the summer season and go from there. It looks weak right now to me, but I didn't have reason to believe Fate, Steins, Michiko, etc would be good, so I don't mean to be entirely dismissive.

I think I actually do have Tatami Galaxy and Mushishi on what's left of the backlog. I tried watching LotG and idk if it was me or what, but it was almost literally a slideshow with text. I dig retro stuff (see above list), but the episode I saw just looked lazy. I may give it another shot, as I've never heard a bad thing about it.

Genius Party seems pretty cool. I recently watched Angel's Egg. Not much a One Piece fan, but I will def try to check out the other stuff. Thanks!

The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of Uruk~ 09
Let's switch it up!
So something happens and everyone suddenly is paired with other named characters. It was not bad seeing new group dynamics and I guess it was an excuse for more backstory from pretty much everyone. They are being cryptic behind real reasonings and all that stuff.
I was surprised that we had our first named character death. I guess the show is being serious now.

Tales of the Abyss 7
a9KK8.jpg

Girls love.
So seamless. With actual fighting involved, this episode was pretty great. You'd think that with Asch and Luke being very similar that they'd be creating hyper resonances every time they clash swords, which was never brought up in the game, so it was cool seeing it in the anime. They kind of just blast through Chesedonia without actually doing much. I wonder what they'll do with Tear's pendant, since they made such a big deal about it in the first episode. And this episode brings out the worst in Luke. Good thing the events of the next episode will shut him up for a while.
zk1C9.jpg

Legretta <3

Thanks for the suggestions. I always take them into account. I really don't have a preferred genre or anything. Some of my favorites:

Gunbuster/Diebuster
Gurren Lagann
Nadia
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Steins;Gate
Michiko e Hatchin
YuYu Hakusho
Geass

I even really liked Mahoromatic. See? All over the place. I just have learned that certain formulas usually don't work for me. I still give like 4 or 5 shows per season a chance, it just so happens that they usually end up really disappointing me (Space Pirates, with that incomparably excellent intro). I'll see what you guys think of the summer season and go from there. It looks weak right now to me, but I didn't have reason to believe Fate, Steins, Michiko, etc would be good, so I don't mean to be entirely dismissive.

I think I actually do have Tatami Galaxy and Mushishi on what's left of the backlog. I tried watching LotG and idk if it was me or what, but it was almost literally a slideshow with text. I dig retro stuff (see above list), but the episode I saw just looked lazy. I may give it another shot, as I've never heard a bad thing about it.

Genius Party seems pretty cool. I recently watched Angel's Egg. Not much a One Piece fan, but I will def try to check out the other stuff. Thanks!

No problem. I'm glad that you're at least open to the possibility of trying new things. I'd also recommend checking out this thread, an extensive list of lesser-known anime from the 2000s with pictures and descriptions, and see if anything catches your fancy.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes was a low budget series; its appeal lies mostly in the large scope of the narrative and the multi-faceted characters rather than any strong visual excellence. I would recommend starting with the movie Overture to a New War, which presents the events of the first two OVA episodes in a much elaborated fashion with very strong visual storytelling and characterization. If that ends up drawing you into its world, you should be able to get through the less impressive OVA series.

I'm not a One Piece fan either, as you will see if you look at my recent impressions of the TV series, but the Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island film is worth watching even for those who aren't, and doesn't require prior familiarity with the franchise. Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) brings all his flair for directing to the table and creates a really strong, moving, atmospheric character piece. Don't let the franchise it belongs to make you dismiss it, as it's really its own thing.

Young Animator Training Project 2011 - Wasurenagumo

Visuals were quite good. Unfortunately the script was on the weak side, though it certainly wasn't bad considering the run time.
A giant, fire-breathing spider demon residing in a lake was rather silly. Did that old man deceive the girl? Also, what was up with this?

Instro

Im inclined to disagree, how are people not completely baffled as to why the characters are doing the things they do? or why you should care about them?

I think the strength of the film establishes the characters and themes without really needing the backstory. I was certainly able to engage the film with only very minimal knowledge of what One Piece is about.

Instro

Visuals were quite good. Unfortunately the script was on the weak side, though it certainly wasn't bad considering the run time.
A giant, fire-breathing spider demon residing in a lake was rather silly. Did that old man deceive the girl? Also, what was up with this?

Hard to say if he actively deceived her or not, but that is the impression I got when they show in the end that the old man has some sort of demon in his house as well.

derp, double post.

Uchip

Banned
I think the strength of the film establishes the characters and themes without really needing the backstory. I was certainly able to engage the film with only very minimal knowledge of what One Piece is about.

Its not even the best One Piece movie though :p

Im inclined to disagree, how are people not completely baffled as to why the characters are doing the things they do? or why you should care about them?

I watched it with only the sketchiest awareness of the franchise. While the initial cold open on the boat was a little jarring, the opening setpiece with catching the giant fish clearly established the team dynamics and their sense of camaraderie, giving you motivation to care about what happens to them as the situation unravels.

Its not even the best One Piece movie though :p

That's a matter of opinion that I can't personally weigh in on, but the impression I've gotten is that it's the best film to watch for those not otherwise invested in the series.

A giant, fire-breathing spider demon residing in a lake was rather silly.

It sounds like a typical folktale monster to me. That's basically what this was - a modern Japanese fairy tale.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

The history nerds represent the otaku. They're not scared by the monsters like a regular person would, because they're potential waifus.

The old man knew what would happen to him because he had already been through it.

Lupin the third: Fuji tits 09

Wow, that was a good episde.
Confirmed Mine to be damaged goods, molested/raped/tortured as a child. I liked the painted girl story too, I expect the gunmen to keep her around as a waifu though. Mine really went from tough and independent, to horribly damaged and suicidal.

Articalys

I missed it last week, but after catching episode 2 tonight, I've gotta say, the Deadman Wonderland dub is *BLEEP*ing fun to watch.

Articalys

I think they've really figured out something with this combination of new shows for Toonami though. First everyone laughs at how ridiculous DMW is, then while we're still vulnerable Casshern Sins crushes everyone's souls into a fine powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom