• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad people.
Considering how bad the writing generally is so far, I can't blame them. Casshern Sins is the type of show that shouldn't be watched on a weekly basis.

Casshern Sins Ep. 5
i8mDSzGWT8fDs.jpg

Nope, couldn't have been him.
Decent episode, it was almost good. Casshern died for our sins.

Tales of the Abyss 8
Ah yes, the big reveal
that Van is evil and Luke is a replica.
The whole destruction of Akzeriuth was quite spectacular compared to how it was in the game. Though the game made you feel awful about the whole thing a lot more
with the little kid pinned down by the body of his father slowly being swallowed up by the sludge while calling out for mommy.
The anime really makes Luke's realization that
is Asch's replica
all the more earth shattering where he starts blindly swinging at Asch there at the end.
AAGVM.jpg

Luke's going to go listen to some Linkin Park

Speaking of Casshern Sins...

Mysterious Girlfriend X 9

If it's atmosphere, it's Yamauchi!

I hate to image spam, but this is one time when I have to. I could screencap almost the entire thing really. Top-tier direction, with amazingly creative coloring. I had high expectations going into this, and they were still blown away. Only reinforces my belief that Shigeyasu Yamauchi should never direct a full show again, but instead direct an episode of every show worth anything.

The idol talk made me nervous, since apparently the Idol Arc was when the manga went downhill. Hopefully we don't run into any issue with that in the brief time remaining.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Considering how bad the writing generally is so far, I can't blame them. Casshern Sins is the type of show that shouldn't be watched on a weekly basis.
Writing is the least important thing in a anime.

Risette

A Good Citizen
id say animation is the most important
some anime is closer to a slide show than actual animation
Watch Casshern, you'll like it. It's beautiful.

I hate to image spam, but this is one time when I have to. I could screencap almost the entire thing really. Top-tier direction, with amazingly creative coloring. I had high expectations going into this, and they were still blown away. Only reinforces my belief that Shigeyasu Yamauchi should never direct a full show again, but instead direct an episode of every show worth anything.
Hey, there's 33 DBZ episodes of his you can watch. And several DBZ movies. And the DB 10th Anniversary movie.

PS any colored outline shots?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watch AMVs of Casshern Sins for the goodness. The rest is dull and uninspiring.

Good writing and plotting can help a show surmount the animation mediocrity. Example: the first season of LotGH.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Has anyone here watched the original Casshern to begin with? It has a blue Rush the robot dog. That surely means it kicks arse?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
You don't know how good a anime truly is.. till you try watching one without subs and it STILL comes off as watch-able. If a anime can't pass that test, it is not a good anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Storytelling is most important, and both animation and writing are a part of that. If you can tell a good story without words then more power to you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Indeed. Nobody gives movie 10 a chance because it's not Hosada.

Let me also throw a mention to Dead End no Bouken because it's pretty decent.

Has anyone here watched the original Casshern to begin with? It has a blue Rush the robot dog. That surely means it kicks arse?

I plan to watch Shinzou Ningen Casshern in its entirety someday. I'm just waiting for the right time.

Branduil

You don't know how good a anime truly is.. till you try watching one without subs and it STILL comes off as watch-able. If a anime can't pass that test, it is not a good anime.

Writing is not limited to dialogue. Also, you're right. Just look at Rahxephon.

Storytelling is most important, and both animation and writing are a part of that. If you can tell a good story without words then more power to you.

All good anime should do that, but a show without dialogue doesn't imply a show without writing.

Hey, there's 33 DBZ episodes of his you can watch. And several DBZ movies. And the DB 10th Anniversary movie.

I don't know if Yamauchi is enough to get me to watch DBZ.

PS any colored outline shots?

Not quite sure what you mean, honestly.

Everything is important.

Yes. I try to judge the totality of a work and how everything works together instead of zeroing in on only one aspect and ignoring everything else.

but.... the live action was bad

Casshern Sins is nothing like the live-action Casshern movie (which I actually liked).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Good writing and plotting can help a show surmount the animation mediocrity. Example: the first season of LotGH.
LOGH direction and art is pretty solid though. And it's animation is certainly passable for a 110-episode series. Definitely doesn't have the quality of say DEEN.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Didn't know that was a thing.

I like it.

Agreed.

I snagged Puss in Boots and Lupin the Third: Strange Psychokinetic Strategy, plus the Valkyria Chronicles art-book. Haven't been to A-Kon in ages, and nothing's really changed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Laws of Eternity:

9ejCA.jpg

Anime's answer to The Divine Comedy.

Except, it's better because The Divine Comedy didn't have giant mammoths. Or fifteen-minute insert songs about Atlantis.

Casshern Sins Ep. 6
iRMkS3A1GHtAT.jpg

She's such a tsundere. :3
The fight between Casshern and Dio was short but sweet. The writer was really padding the script by having Casshern repeat every single damn thing. -_- He really is Jesus. That one woman with Dio was rather :Chet.

Narag

I haven't been reading anipages much because ben's lupin posts don't interest me, but I noticed this massive Votoms post today and holy molly man.

I'd meant to marathon it this season (or was it last season, can't remember), which I've pushed off to Summer (vaguely), but I really should get around to it.

Looks like a fun read.

Edit: After skimming over it and catching the memoriam of Hiroshi Koizumi, I suppose he's the reason episode 2 of Mellowlink was so satisfying.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dropped The Knight in the Area, Hyouka, Fujiko Mine, Saint Seiya Omega, and Sankarea on a whim. Those were shows I was following because I thought I had to watch them but wasn't really enjoying them. Hopefully this thinning of my schedule can make me appreciate anime again.

Uchip

Banned

You can go way back to the black and white Disney animations that had no voice acting and very little point. But they were still fun to watch. Cant say the same for dialogue heavy anime powerpoint presentations.

In order of importance

Cute
character design
Character behavior
Animation
PLOT
plot
Setting
Writing
Sense

This doesnt make much sense, as a lot of what makes the character behavior and cuteness is the animation itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom