• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Character designs and animation should be joined together. Bad character designs make for bad looking animation.

cajunator

Banned
You can go way back to the black and white Disney animations that had no voice acting and very little point. But they were still fun to watch. Cant say the same for dialogue heavy anime powerpoint presentations.

This doesnt make much sense, as a lot of what makes the character behavior and cuteness is the animation itself.

It is what it is unless it isn't then its not.

Defuser

Writing is the least important thing in a anime.

ibnyXTuR7OwZS2.gif
'

I bet you like Guilty Crown.

Acchi Kocchi 09
TtNoI.gif

Cutest thing this side of ever.
Nice episode, good use of over the top electronics. Same old, same old, but at least it's still as cute as it has been.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There is certainly a relationship between the two, but they should be kept separate.
I disagree. Character designs are an important component of animation. It's not just a matter of "looking good", but character designs poorly suited to animation lead to... bad looking animation, even in the hands of talented animators. Good animation character designs tend to learn towards simplistic in detail while remaining visually striking. Overly complex character designs are just nigh impossible to move convincingly.

Also some character designs that aren't necessarily complex but still lead to bad looking animation. See: Bleach. Even the "well-animated" episodes look bad, because of how terrible the character designs are. And it's not a "I don't like this" (that's a given) type of terrible, but a "everything is so blocky and huge you can't begin to move this shit" type of terrible.

Star Driver is the best thing ever.
I knew you'd come around to appreciate Igarashi!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
LOGH direction and art is pretty solid though. And it's animation is certainly passable for a 110-episode series. Definitely doesn't have the quality of say DEEN.
So what you're saying is that animation serves a larger purpose as LOGH is not a middling show despite having only passable animation.

I disagree. Character designs are an important component of animation. It's not just a matter of "looking good", but character designs poorly suited to animation lead to... bad looking animation, even in the hands of talented animators. Good animation character designs tend to learn towards simplistic in detail while remaining visually striking. Overly complex character designs are just nigh impossible to move convincingly.

Also some character designs that aren't necessarily complex but still lead to bad looking animation. See: Bleach. Even the "well-animated" episodes look bad, because of how terrible the character designs are. And it's not a "I don't like this" (that's a given) type of terrible, but a "everything is so blocky and huge you can't begin to move this shit" type of terrible.
Facilitating the animation isn't the primary job of the character designs. (Edit:) Realistically the character designs do have to be compromised to help out the animators, though.

cajunator

Banned
You can have ugly character design with great animation. You can have great design with SHAFTIMATION. Either way it can still be good.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So what you're saying is that animation serves a larger purpose as LOGH is not a middling show despite having only passable animation.
Hey, you need good direction and storyboarding to drive that animation. Also LOGH animation quality might be better than "passable" it's been so long since I've seen it!

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 34

There were plenty of neat sakuga moments in the various fight scenes this episode and it looks like there'll be plenty more where that came from in the next episode with the fight between
Gon and Hisoka.

Exactly. Koike's designs for the current Lupin show are a good example of ones that look good on paper, but in practice are much too detailed to get good animation out of. On the other hand, Horiguchi's simple designs for K-ON work wonderfully for creating that show's super-fluid animation.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Exactly. Koike's designs for the current Lupin show are a good example of ones that look good on paper, but in practice are much too detailed to get good animation out of. On the other hand, Horiguchi's simple designs for K-ON work wonderfully for creating that show's super-fluid animation.
Yeah, Koike's designs for Lupin are a decent example. Even the bits of "good animation" I've seen in specific places is still weird looking and weightless because the detail and overall visual style are not quite cooperative with movement, at least with TV-level budgets.

In a way, his designs are a step back to the stiff looking, hard to move character designs of the original green jacket series. It's no coincidence that series 2 and series 3 are considered (and just are) more visually appealing despite having much simpler character designs -- it's because these simpler character designs lend themselves better to animation.

Uchip

Banned
Yeah, Koike's designs for Lupin are a decent example. Even the bits of "good animation" I've seen in specific places is still weird looking and weightless because the detail and overall visual style are not quite cooperative with movement, at least with TV-level budgets.

In a way, his designs are a step back to the stiff looking, hard to move character designs of the original green jacket series. It's no coincidence that series 2 and series 3 are considered (and just are) more visually appealing despite having much simpler character designs -- it's because these simpler character designs lend themselves better to animation.

How lupin should have looked
my_spoon_is_too_big.jpg

Uchip

Banned
Characters can look cute in stills.

Im decensitised to the generic anime style of "cute"
repetition has turned it into something rather ugly to me
cute animation ie. mannerisms and expression does so much more for a character than say having gigantic bug eyes and tacked on cat ears

I wasn't impressed by the animation in the original series; it's good to hear that the next two have more to offer in that regard.

Yeah, this is amazing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cute animation ie. mannerisms and expression does so much more for a character than say having gigantic bug eyes and tacked on cat ears
Well, having four ears isn't really cute to begin with.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Of all the things we go through here and elsewhere I think having an extra set of ears isn't that big a deal!

Anyway it worked for Kouga Yun.
Loveless-v02-ch01-pg-001.jpg

How do manga artists make cute characters then, or are you saying there are no cute manga characters?

Uchip

Banned
How do manga artists make cute characters then, or are you saying there are no cute manga characters?

they can, but its not as substantial as when all the factors (voice, animation etc) combine

i was mainly referring to anime because more often than not, detail is lost in the conversion and characters lose some of the original mangakas charm

Kagami

In order of importance

Cute
character design
Character behavior
Animation
PLOT
plot
Setting
Writing
Sense

Pretty similar to what I'd write.
  • Character design definitely dominates my enjoyment of animation. If the characters don't look appealing to me, it's really hard for me to watch it, and if I really like them, it elevates my overall impression.
  • Consistently being on-model to those designs is thus really important also.
  • Behavior/personality - Yep.
  • But after that I'd add in voice acting. Bad acting can make a show painful. Good acting and attractive voices are a joy to listen to and get me attached to characters.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If it weren't for the language barrier I'd suggest that Lafiel try watching shows audio only to see how many truly succeed.

Uchip

Banned
If it weren't for the language barrier I'd suggest that Lafiel try watching shows audio only to see how many truly succeed.

sometimes I wonder if Japanese voice acting is actually better, or if its just that im not a native speaker and cant pick up on when it is bad

If Lafiel could understand Japanese, that would defeat the purpose of the exercise. Whoops, misread your post. That would certainly be one way to try and more objectively evaluate the dialogue and voice acting.

cajunator

Banned

I agree that mannerisms and character behavior go a long way towards making a character cute.
Cat ears alone aint gonna do it.
Mayoi neko overrun for example is a pretty boring show despite having a catgirl prominently featured.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
sometimes I wonder if Japanese voice acting is actually better, or if its just that im not a native speaker and cant pick up on when it is bad
It's a mix, but it's without dub rewriting and forcefit acting that usually detracts further. Exceptions exist, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom