• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
I agree that mannerisms and character behavior go a long way towards making a character cute.
Cat ears alone aint gonna do it.
Mayoi neko overrun for example is a pretty boring show despite having a catgirl prominently featured.

Kind of like how cats are the cutest things on earth, but nyan koi is a meh show?

Kagami

On model meaning just good general drawing quality? Or do you really want animation to stay strictly on model all the time?
Probably the former, if I'm understanding your question.
I certainly don't object to deliberately deforming character faces for expression, if that's what you mean.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I certainly don't object to deliberately deforming character faces for expression, if that's what you mean.
Indeed, also deforming in ways that make sense rather than detracting from movement with random deviations.

Very stylized animation tends to go off-model, which isn't a bad thing at all. I'm sure that's what pizzaroll had in mind with that question.

In order of importance

Cute
character design
Character behavior
Animation
PLOT
plot
Setting
Writing
Sense

Order of importance

5w5EB.gif

everything else.
Characters > Animation > Setting > Story

Jintor

God I wish idolmaster was more interesting

at least it wasn't outright painful like oreimo, it was just... super bland.

I looooooved the character designs though. Presumably it was designed for that.

If it weren't for pizzaroll liking it, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll considering the source material.

I think Idolmaster would have been better if it hadn't been adapted from a weird self-insert idol raising game.
I assume the show doesn't address how screwed up the whole idol culture thing is, though I think it would be fun to pit anime otaku against idol otaku.

Yeah, Idolmaster has some nice production values but most of the narrative and characterization is bland and dull. The Producer is just about as terrible as the average harem lead, and the cast has little chemistry together. Whenever it tries to be serious, it just falls flat.

Episodes 8 and 9 were really good though, since they eschewed idol drama for pure silly comedy. A couple other episodes tried to do that, but their scenarios didn't come off as well as these two.

Dresden

I enjoyed episodes 4~9 a lot, with it peaking at the Yamauchi episode.

The serious episodes did bring me the hilarity of ep23, though.

trejo

The damaged goods named Fujiko Mine 9

Man fuck this show. I'm done here.

When Fujiko
fell off the cable car I genuinely hoped she would die

wonzo

Banned
idolmaster would have been better if the replaced the bland self-insert producer with ritsuko

Space Bros 10

there are few things more horrifying than being stuck inside a cg bus for several hours.

Kagami

The mailwoman delivered some friends today!

This is the limited edition box, which according to writing on it, is called the Super Regrettable Box. ("Pretty Girls x Regrettable (Personalities) x Game = Super Regrettable Box")

It comes with the main game (PSP), the Tokimeki Memorial parody game "Kirameki School Life - the wonder years" (PSP) that they played in episode 2 of the TV series, an artwork/staff commentary book, a DVD (42 min) with (a) audio commentary from the characters as they play through one of the game routes, (b) a video segment of Yozora and her air-friend Tomo giving a class on how to make friends, and (c) a collection of the TV commercials for the game.
Also two alternative "Playing States Portable" game case jackets: "Taynle of Friend" and "THEiDOLLM@STER SP," which should fit PSP UMD cases.

"THEiDOLLM@STER SP" jacket, a card with a download code for a custom PSP theme, and three see-through shitajiki.

Branduil

idolmaster would have been better if the replaced the bland self-insert producer with ritsuko

Space Bros 10

there are few things more horrifying than being stuck inside a cg bus for several hours.

Especially cg buses from a future where auto paint no longer exists.

trejo

It is interesting though.

I can't remember if I've asked you this before but could you expand on what exactly it was you found so interesting about it? Chances are I won't see it your way but I'd at least like to know what someone who is interested in more than simple moeshit saw in it.

Jex

Yeah, Idolmaster has some nice production values but most of the narrative and characterization is bland and dull. The Producer is just about as terrible as the average harem lead, and the cast has little chemistry together. Whenever it tries to be serious, it just falls flat.

Episodes 8 and 9 were really good though, since they eschewed idol drama for pure silly comedy. A couple other episodes tried to do that, but their scenarios didn't come off as well as these two.

My feelings about Idolmaster are similar to my feelings about Hyouka - both works have impressive production values and they're clearly the works of very talented teams. However, no amount of beautiful cinematography or smooth animation can save a boring story with weak characters.

Articalys

Okay, two months in now, I am awfully close to calling Subarashiki Sekai as the ending song of the season.
Altair is a very very close second though.

Jex

Ah, so Apollon featured yet another
haircut as character change
moment. Japanese writers need to figure something else out. :p

In defence, of er, Japanese writers I suppose, hair cuts are used that way by writers all the time in the West, quite often with female characters. It doesn't make much sense to single out Japan for blame on that front.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If it weren't for the language barrier I'd suggest that Lafiel try watching shows audio only to see how many truly succeed.
You'd need to give me a visually intensive show that I haven't seen though. Otherwise the exercise is pointless!

Kagami

Agreed on the lack of chemistry/connection between characters. They definitely feel like they come from the fighting-game school of character creation, where each one is created to be fun/attractive in isolation but not really as part of a larger whole.

When the story itself actually is a fighting-game tournament (e.g. Queen's Blade TV) that can be OK (although even Queen's Blade TV tossed in an original character to add more camaraderie), but something like IdolM@ster inevitably winds up compared against other ensemble cast team shows like Strike Witches where the various interactions between the characters are a big part of the fun.

Jex

Kids on the Slope, on the other hand, operates on the level of "felt" reality. Especially because the whole series has been compressing time to an incredible extent, it gives the impression of an imagined recreation of what teenage romance(/bromance) feels like, bouncing from emotional high to low. That certainly creates a "soap opera"-like atmosphere.
While the time compressions aspect of Kids on the Slope is certainly a detriment to the series I don't think it's the soul cause of some of the shows other issues. Wandering Son was a heavily compressed adaptation but I still felt like most of the characters (most of the time) felt like believable people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom