• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I miss Penguindrum thursdays. :(

But look at the positive effect its had on Japanese society!

TOKYO — The police on Sunday arrested one of the two remaining fugitive suspects from the doomsday cult behind the 1995 nerve-gas attack on the Tokyo subway, Japanese media reported.

The reports said the police in the Tokyo suburb of Sagamihara arrested Naoko Kikuchi, 40, a former top member of the Aum Shinrikyo cult. Ms. Kikuchi is accused of manufacturing the sarin gas used in the attack, which killed 13 commuters and sickened at least 5,000 more.

Ms. Kikuchi had eluded the police for 17 years, even though her photograph has appeared on wanted posters across the nation. Her arrest came five months after another cult member wanted in connection with the attack, Makoto Hirata, surrendered to the police.

Cult members released the gas during the morning rush hour on March 20, 1995, as part of what they believed would be an apocalyptic battle with the government. The cult’s blind guru, Chizuo Matsumoto, who went by the name Shoko Asahara, was convicted of masterminding the attack and was sentenced to death.

After all those years of nothing, then MPD, then that happening. Coincidence? It is obviously destiny.

Branduil

Kyou no Go no Ni

Ah yes, all this collarbone talk reminded me of this gag:

Boy Kobayashi would love this episode of Hyouka!

jblm11ihdcSLSw.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ikuhara? Less ambiguous? ;)

Speaking of which, both Usagi and Utena end up unaware of their own victory.

Hey, man, I'm complaining about actual non-symbolic things here! I saw nary a rose petal in that scene.

Clearly, Usagi still had a better ending by virtue of actually surviving!

I know that nothing in Utena's finale implies that she's dead, but being spirited away to another plane or somewhere where Anthy will never find her might as well be just as bad.

wonzo

Banned
Hyouka 7

Muuuuch better than last weeks episode (dat manservice!). This show's at it's best when the characters are actually doing things and aren't couped up in that stupid classroom.

KyoAni fans get hype! Everyone else abandon ship!

http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kotenbu/story/09/

"Murder mystery in the abandoned town on the old hill"

Apparently it's a sort of continuation of the next episode, since they're investigating the truth behind the movie they watched at the screening.

Script: Shoji Gatoh
Storyboard/Director: Naoko Yamada (K-On director!)
Animation Director: Chiyoko Ueno
Excellent, this is gonna be great!

survivor

Banned
Bakemonogatari 4

Episode didn't hold my attention that long, the banter wasn't that interesting. Araragi seriously gotta stop smacking Mayoi, I won't stand for this abuse.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 7...

ud2x7.jpg

Hey, I didn't say it this time!

Okay, I'm going to attempt a Hyouka review without using the "b-word."

As has been said before, a change from the classroom is always welcome, though that still does not make an episode "entertaining." The characters seem to be playing off each other on an informal, friendly level again. Yet, I still feel nothing towards any of them. I don't like any of them, I don't care if all of them lose a foot (left or right) next episode (heck, that would make things better). In face, the entire cast could be changed for the entirety of the season by the next episode and I could sleep through watch the show just fine. By the seventh episode I would expect to at least moderately enjoy one of the characters. The cast has a heartbeat, but I see no life worth noting.

Have I used "the word" yet? No? Okay, good. As for the episode in specifics,
hanging clothes looking like someone hanging
...*sigh*.

Tl;DR: What I say about this show every week, Pinky.
zzTAN.jpg

Compliment of the week: Hey look, it's a ladybug taking a bite out of a flower!

Tales of the Abyss 9
jnRhC.png

Mascot Power, HO~!
Man this was a boring episode. Of course, nothing really happens during this part of the game either, but at least there were fights in the cave, but I guess they wanted to fit in Luke's new haircut. Luke's floating disembodied head is creepy. Like the game, they probably won't explain how he cut it so well with Tear's throwing knife. Oh well. There should be ample amounts of conflict in the next episode as Luke and the gang find themselves in Daath to rescue Ion.
noviH.png

Ultimadrago's favorite character in his favorite series.

I don't think dragging out any of the episodic stories in Casshern Sins would have served them well.
But they are too short. :\ We need longer run times, damn it. I would put up with the crappy episodes being longer if it gave the better episodes more breathing room.
Introducing a character and then killing them off in the same episode doesn't work very well.

But they are too short. :\ We need longer run times, damn it. I would put up with the crappy episodes being longer if it gave the better episodes more breathing room.
Introducing a character and then killing them off in the same episode doesn't work very well.

If you're good, you don't need more than a half hour to create sympathy for a character. I've seen some very powerful episodes that do exactly what you describe.

duckroll

If you're good, you don't need more than a half hour to create sympathy for a character. I've seen some very powerful episodes that do exactly what you describe.

Oh goodie. Hosanna is admitting that Yamauchi is a hack! Casshern Sins is terrible because the director is bad! Yay! :D

One Piece 19

So Zoro was an annoying brat as a child too.

I can't say "I want to get stronger!" is a compelling motivation for me. However the gender discrimination did provide a somewhat interesting hook
and Kuina's death was fairly effective, if sudden.

Oh goodie. Hosanna is admitting that Yamauchi is a hack! Casshern Sins is terrible because the director is bad! Yay! :D

I've always maintained that Yamauchi is an excellent episode director but a terrible series director.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but in the context of Casshern Sins it's harder to pull off.
People sure like using that word around here.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 7
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m52fcsfsbG1qk2b8oo1_500.gif
Apart from Chitande messing scenes up
Oreki getting overheated for one at her...
, taking time away from Satoshi and Oreki, I think it was really good. They should have gone to the baths more, as both Satoshi and Oreki were funny. The objects obscuring views was rather creative and kind of funny, though that one was unnecessary, though that entire scene was good. Hilarious recap scene of what went on there and the morning after scene of them both.

Mystery was captivating especially with the visual genjutsus.
This is maybe the definitive DTL post.

Makoto

Hyouka 7

I wonder how many times they're going to use the formulaic Chitanda pestering a groaning Oreki who sucks it up and goes along with her simply
because he wants to get into her pants
(exaggeration). I think I'd be able to enjoy these adventures if Oreki would actually engage in them because he genuinely wants to and not because he wants to satisfy Chitanda. There were a lot of Scooby comparisons mentioned with this episodes and you know, the appeal of that show was that the Mystery Gang loved their mysteries. A lot of the excitement would be lost if it was just Daphne badgering a complacent Fred into investigating the haunted house.

Ultimadrago

Who's the Shaggy of the Hyouka group?

Oreki.

Because at the end of the day (sans wanting to smash Eru as reward for being a good boy) he just wants to go home.

The guy from Episode 3
who was doing the not-pot in the classroom

Nevermind. This is a better answer, though I'd argue that Shaggy isn't that "clever."
Infrared sensors and all.

He'd just
do his do in the stairwell
like all normal teenagers.

Ultimadrago

Then again, Shaggy can change into costumes and deceive the common man within seconds. Therefore, he might be cleverer...or just a fast dresser.

This is life's true mystery.

But does he go around eating dog treats?

He wishes he could eat Eru's dog treats. Hey-oooo....

Anyone?

Makoto

Oreki.

Because at the end of the day (sans wanting to smash Eru as reward for being a good boy) he just wants to go home.

Nevermind. This is a better answer, though I'd argue that Shaggy isn't that "clever."
Infrared sensors and all.

He'd just
do his do in the stairwell
like all normal teenagers.
I forgot about the
infrared sensors
. I'd agree with Oreki though. As far as intentions go, they both don't want any part of the mystery. Shaggy's just a lot more entertaining about it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mysterious Girlfriend X 09:

Great episode, even if the experimental visuals didn't always work very well. Saturating scenes with a particular color was effective at conveying emotion, but generally at the cost of simply looking really out-of-place. I really appreciated the attention to detail in this episode, as there seemed to be an even higher level of subtle facial expression than normal in addition to various momentary cuts to mundane objects. The production values were visibly high.

I still find Urabe a frustrating, off-putting character, but the ending to the episode was at least consistent with how I would have expected her to react given the situation.
Her selfishness really knows no bounds, does it?
The fetish of the week was
hair-mussing
, and I'm glad to see a return to more unconventional subject matter after the past couple of weeks. The series never fails to excellently capture the essence of awkward teenage romance, but the weirdness is fairly important to my enjoyment!

Oka still best character by several lightyears.

Geneijin

Rewatch the first season, it was already there.
When looking at Apollo, Rena's magical eyes always saw a winged puppy.
It wouldn't upset me so much if this didn't demand a sequel with this revelation. It overthrew any good the original series had made and everything is nonsense at this point.

Fate/Zero 21

"Boring storyboarding" my ass.

Kariya is an idiot, but I guess we knew that already.
As always, Rider is the best character. The chemistry between Waver and him is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom