• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 09:

AHNCPl.jpg

So Yuuko was only pretending to remember Teiichi? That explains how generically lovey-dovey the first half of the episode felt.

The segue to Yuuko's flashback was actually a pretty cool effect, with the school being constructed in reverse until only the old school remained. Experiencing someone else's flashback in the first person is kind of a novel concept, too, although considering the importance of the next episode's revelations, I'd rather just see the perspective switched to third-person again because I don't quite trust Silver Link/Oonuma not to fuck up the storytelling if they force themselves to do the entire thing through Yuuko's eyes.

Looking forward to the truth finally being revealed, even if they've been telegraphing ahead the fact that Yuuko was a human sacrifice since the beginning of the series. Only the particular circumstances of this remain unknown.

Saint Seiya Omega 10

Quite a bit of talking but pretty good. Yuna has continually been useless though. The others put up a good fight. Whenever I see Haruto, or he does a movie I just think of Naruto, maybe thats why I like him so much; the handsigns combined with Earth style jutsu for one.

Plot:
Nice surprise arrival by Seiya! Finally seeing the franchise trademark character for the first time, or I guess second if he was in that flashback 10 weeks ago, was nice, and he even spoke. I wish we knew where he was but I did enjoy his attack saving our favorites

wonzo

Banned
Berserk - Golden Age Chapter I: Egg of the High King

no still shots could possibly do justice to how bad the cg is in motion, and that's not even touching on some of the QUALITY line work. fuck you studio 4c... the golden age arc deserves much better than this :(

Puss in Boots (1969)

I set my expectations accordingly for this one, knowing it would have a musical number in it somewhere, knowing the plot was pointless, and ever aware that the swords—were pointed. But the film definitely impressed me with not only its fluid animation, but its rough, sketchy, and off-the-walls satire of the typical Disney flick. The key animators had too much fun making fun out of thin air with this one, yet they also took time out to sneak some subversive scenes in here and there, not to mention the fact that Pero himself is a con-man well above the rest. It's not everyday that a cat works with an army of mic to con the farmers and out-of-town-ers into preparing a royal procession down a country road, accompanied by a widely-variable gramophone that Pero's loyal retainers can barely handle!—but wait: there's more! And more.

Seeing as this is the penultimate film of any historical interest in the Toei catalog (a list made final by Taro the Dragon Boy, which is definitely worth a look from what I've heard), I'm glad that the animators, particularly the ones that would find themselves heading up major projects at TMS and NipponAni, essentially went all-out with nothing to lost and everything to gain from doing a project like this. Sure: the characters are one-dimensional, made of lines of sharp like blades, but the never-ending number of gags, upheavals, and Lucifer making a complete and utter fool of himself was just too damn funny. A real feel-good experience, a project that combats the butchered Horus with its own brand of tongue-in-cheek satire and, by proxy, conscious mockery of the studio executives themselves.

Tales of the Abyss 10
9QAuU.png

It's not like I'm brave for you or anything.
Wow, the most epic sword fight so far in this anime has been between Luke and a nameless Oracle Knight. This episode has probably been the most humorous too, with Guy's girl phobia and just cute Meiu antics. But man, everyone seems to take a huge shit on Luke, even if what happened in Akzeriuth was pretty much not his fault. You'd think the fact that they learn that
he's a replica
would make them sympathize with him, but nope, fuck that Luke guy. Next episode goes into Jade's backstory, so I'm curious how they will incorporate it into the story, seeing how in the game it mostly ties into a side quest.
X9DN2.png

Being Meiu is suffering.

Soma

Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the High King

I dunno. I thought it was decent and if anything it's gotten me really interested in reading the manga and wanting to complete the anime series. As someone who wasn't really bothered by the CG in the Rebuild movies... it was pretty bad here even for me. Devoid of detail and it just looked really jarring. There were some really nice moments and great looking scenery but the character animations and models were just... downright bad at times.

I'm not sure how much detail in the overall story was left out here so I don't know how good or bad this movie did the series justice.

Bulzeeb

Fate/Zero 22

Typo in the episode? That sign said 21..

Anyway all my tears, the episode had the best interaction of the anime thus far,
Waver's scene with the grandfather and then the friendship scene with Rider, and how I thought he was actually going to send Rider on alone and we'd see no more Waver got me emotional. And then when he picked him up and put him on the hours and Waver was all agitated and conflicted with emotions of happiness, was so lovely. True friends.

Waver has consistently been my favorite.

this, to be honest Weaver and Rider are the only characters in this anime I care about, a shame we all now how this ends

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aim for the Best! the Movie (the first half anyway)

Awful. Just awful. An incoherent rushed mess with none of the atmosphere or charm of the series. The soundtrack is garbage, the fanservice is limited, the movie skips out on so many important plot points of the first movie, some characters don't even exist at all (poor Otowa) and the others get zero screen time or relevance. This movie does absolutely nothing right

My love for you is like a truck.
BERSERKER
Screw you Cajun, I just had to watch that—again!

I don't know if I'll have enough time on my schedule to do a review for the next episode of Ashita no Joe, but I'm going to try post-E3. Dezaki is the Anime Tezuka, after all, so I must do my part and revel in his greatness.

I expect that when I wake up later today that the OT will be closed, considering GAF's server problems yesterday. I shall see you all after E3.

Narag

Fate/Zero 22

Calm before the storm? There was a lot to like this episode.

Brief NGE spoiler mention within. I assume most have seen it but I'd rather play it safe.

Waver/Rider interaction was top notch as usual. Waver using all his Command Spells was unexpected but Rider's insistence he see things through to the end was another great example of his infectious personality inspiring people to accompany him in pursuit of his dream. Next week's episode title hints at something Rider heavy so I'm excited about that.

I assume it was intentional to make Kirei & Kiritsugu very similar to start. Maybe not to the point that I (among others) confused the two initially but their manner, character design, and same dead eyes gave the pair a feeling of being cut from the same cloth. It's been interesting to see how the pair have since diverged though as Kirei continues to break down while Kiritsugu is doing what he can to hold himself together. Kirei strangling Irisviel was rather brutal in how sudden her death was. I expected something a bit prolonged.

On that note, the Irisviel sequence at the end was creepy as shit. I don't think I've been as weirded out since the first time I saw the tank full of Rei Ayanami clones. I assume folk familiar with TYPE-MOON stuff have a better grasp of what happened but, seeing as I don't, I'm left both bewildered and curious about what's in store for Irisviel.

That would be sad.

Although if avatars are turned off I shall reign supreme.

Should ask for the sailor moon pony back if that happens for old time's sake

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 09:

So Yuuko was only pretending to remember Teiichi? That explains how generically lovey-dovey the first half of the episode felt.

The segue to Yuuko's flashback was actually a pretty cool effect, with the school being constructed in reverse until only the old school remained. Experiencing someone else's flashback in the first person is kind of a novel concept, too, although considering the importance of the next episode's revelations, I'd rather just see the perspective switched to third-person again because I don't quite trust Silver Link/Oonuma not to fuck up the storytelling if they force themselves to do the entire thing through Yuuko's eyes.

Looking forward to the truth finally being revealed, even if they've been telegraphing ahead the fact that Yuuko was a human sacrifice since the beginning of the series. Only the particular circumstances of this remain unknown.

These guys need to play Persona 4 already.

Tales of the Abyss 11
Dat tea drinking. With how pretty much nothing happens in this episode story-wise you'd think it was a filler episode, but this was in the game too... Anyways, It's the story of why Jade is so weird. He creates fomicry because he's to lazy to buy his sister a new doll and then meets a cute professor and eventually ends up killing her. So he tries to bring her back with a replica, but later realizes he can't apologize to a clone with no memories of the past. So he gives up on that and is now he's just a wisecracking "old man" who has a thing for prepubescent girls. I may or may not have made up that last part.
vblSC.jpg

Jade's sister can't possibly be this cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom