• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Saki 1

So I tried to give the first episode of the original a try and I had to stop when they started playing. Does mahjong play a big role in the anime cause I know jack shit about it

I saw some hints of pure love in the first 5 mins so I'm interested in continuing it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kids on the Slope;;Kids on the Dope

Were the animators on dope when they made this?

The animation is great, but why did they chose to make the shadows and the highlights so soft? It looks like the people are made out of sand, and a Photoshop beveled image in some parts.

Worse of all they combined this awful shading technique with a thick, black outline. The outline stays the same throughout the image, with the same thickness and everything. The outline has total closure. There are no breaks, different colors, or softening to dilute the thick black outline and make it sink in with the image.

The combination with the outline and the soft shading makes the art in this show like a lazy photoshop painting, that uses the worst, and most elementary brushes.

http://i.imgur.com/1OTXj.jpg[IMG]

Note the top and bottom screen. No, the bottom screen is not from the show, but note how harmonious it is with the top. Some parts of each image are exactly the same, like the back of the kid's head.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VYuDj.jpg[IMG]

This image looks like something out of Apollon. Note the thick black outline that is the same throughout. Notice the shading that makes each character like grainy mud.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/DcscX.gif[img]

This gif shows how soft shading and highlights can be used appropriately. The soft shading is used sparingly in the face and the hands. In the face it is used to show blush in the face and in the hands it is used to give depth. Soft shading is never used too much because it can make the image look like cancer.

Also in this gif, the outlines are not the same color or size. This gives the image a more sense of realism, because humans do not look like pen outlined blobs.

I am sorry if I come off a bit strong. This is my break time and I meant to use it to watch this show. Instead of finishing it I decided to write this post in order to express my dismay. I am dropping it without question.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/DcscX.gif

No, but, seriously: I have no problems with Sakamichi no Apollon's style whatsoever. It's different, but it's cool. It looks good in motion. It's a shame you'll drop it because of such issues.

cajunator

Banned

Were the animators on dope when they made this?

The animation is great, but why did they chose to make the shadows and the highlights so soft? It looks like the people are made out of sand, and a Photoshop beveled image in some parts.

Worse of all they combined this awful shading technique with a thick, black outline. The outline stays the same throughout the image, with the same thickness and everything. The outline has total closure. There are no breaks, different colors, or softening to dilute the thick black outline and make it sink in with the image.

The combination with the outline and the soft shading makes the art in this show like a lazy photoshop painting, that uses the worst, and most elementary brushes.

1OTXj.jpg

Note the top and bottom screen. No, the bottom screen is not from the show, but note how harmonious it is with the top. Some parts of each image are exactly the same, like the back of the kid's head.

VYuDj.jpg

This image looks like something out of Apollon. Note the thick black outline that is the same throughout. Notice the shading that makes each character like grainy mud.

DcscX.gif

This gif shows how soft shading and highlights can be used appropriately. The soft shading is used sparingly in the face and the hands. In the face it is used to show blush in the face and in the hands it is used to give depth. Soft shading is never used too much because it can make the image look like cancer.

Also in this gif, the outlines are not the same color or size. This gives the image a more sense of realism, because humans do not look like pen outlined blobs.

I am sorry if I come off a bit strong. This is my break time and I meant to use it to watch this show. Instead of finishing it I decided to write this post in order to express my dismay. I am dropping it without question.

I don't really want to just blurt out that you're wrong, but you're wrong.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Zero no Taukaima F- Complete

http://metanorn.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Zero-no-Tsukaima-F-06-000170.jpg

Day of the kugiloli. Oh boy. I knew it was going to be bad but damn. So many plot threads dropped like hot shit and others resolved quick as fuck. Arguments resolved in less than 10 minutes. For example the whole bit about Saito not being a nobleman was never even brought up again. They really needed more episodes or to have utilized their earlier seasons in a better fashion. Harem hijinks didn't serve any purpose and weren't even good as otaku insertion.

Despite this being a horrible TV series it still manages to be better than the second and third season. They toned down somewhat on the ecchi and seemed to be atleast trying to tell a story.

The whole dragon bit was stupid as fuck and not that interesting. I mean they recite throughout the season that they need the 4 Void Users and in the end half the numbers work. Like what the fuck. How did this shit sell in Japan?
It bombed. Nobody but the most die-hard fans cared about this season.

Branduil

He does have other points though. You may not agree with them but lying and said he just did what you just said is being dishonest.

I didn't say that though. The photoshop filters and Yugioh fanart are completely irrelevant to the rest of his post because they aren't what he is critiquing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I didn't say that though. The photoshop filters and Yugioh fanart are completely irrelevant to the rest of his post because they aren't what he is critiquing.
Oh true, but I think the photoshop filter post was to focus on how the back of the kids head looks the same after get filterized.

cajunator

Banned
Besides Tsumiki, Potemayo, and Fear Kubrick, are there any other characters with gradient color changing hair of godlinesS? Or is that all?

NewFresh

That was a fun impression to read, so thank you for that. Now with regards to the art style of the show. The soft shadowing effect has a pretty clear intention, in that it is a way to further differentiate the characters from the background imagery. Usually this is something I would hate, because it typically gives the whole thing a very "cartoon-ish" vibe. But in the case of Apollon, once in motion it looks remarkably good. The animation is what really sells it, which is best seen in the
fight on the roof
and
the drum solo
; the latter which also involved some use of CG, but CG done well.

Joule

Just went though the Xebec duo this season.

Upotte! 1+2: It doesn't surprise me that this is a Xebec show. They've certainly honed their craft in making pervy shows. The very familiar character designs (Kanokon, Ladies versus Butlers) also attribute well to that. Props to you Akio Takami. On to the content though, the first episode was certainly very about as expected from a Xebec show. Pulled all the triggers on that front. I was quite amused, dat gun innuendo, gimme that base sexual humor. Episode 2 though was fun without being too much on the pervy stuff. Gun play and onee-sama rifles. Also a little bit educational too. It's always good to work in informational stuff in a fun way.

Better than I expected! Though that thread and the impressions already told me all I needed to know.

Haiyore Nyaruko-san 1: KANA ASUMI. I think I'd watch every show with her in it. Omigawa move aside. That ear worm OP as well. The actual show though was entertaining too. cthulhu as a magical girlfriend is a good thing. Interstellar CQC, h-doujinshi the most desired entertainment by aliens, alien demon pokemon battles... just a bunch of fun gags. I want to make some gifs but it looks like all the prime moments have been well recorded already.

[redacted] all around.

----
Surprisingly the Xebec pair is actually kinda good! This really the season of --- girlfriend. Cthulhu, ghost, zombie, drool. 3/4 are good thus far.

Branduil

Oh true, but I think the photoshop filter post was to focus on how the back of the kids head looks the same after get filterized.

I guess, but I still don't see how resistance to photoshop filters is relevant in any way. If you want to argue a show looks bad, use the actual imagery of the show. Bringing in outside example which have no connection with what you are talking about just makes your argument appear weak.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zetman 03
JBp3e.jpg

This girl has a face like a manatee. Creeps me out, especially when all the old man faces are so rich with detail. Info dump episode (mostly of stuff I already assumed/knew) with a fight mixed in. Didn't really do a lot for me and I don't really know if I'll stick to this show. This show is just hitting the story beats way too fast and it's kind of just out of control at this point. Even the sloggy info dump couldn't really reset the emotional bearings.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think I would HATE the show if it went this direction. I'm really glad it didn't.

Nyarlolithep is just too... permissive for an ancient god from times immemorial. If you are gonna play the harem angle it makes more sense for such an otherworldly entity to be begrudgingly awestruck about the human sacrifice I mean love interest.

Joule

Maybe I would enjoy Nyarlolithep if it were voiced by Kugimiya instead of Kana Asumi. :/
I think I like her more when she plays male characters than her usual stuff. If she played Mahiro instead of Kitamura I could see that working out well. Also NO. : (

Oh it looks like Kugimiya is in the show too.

Nyarlolithep is just too... permissive for an ancient god from times immemorial. If you are gonna play the harem angle it makes more sense for such an otherworldly entity to be begrudgingly awestruck about the human sacrifice I mean love interest.
Stop imposing your banal human logic upon the infinite vastness of the cosmos.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I never thought someone would use Shaft as the good example of how a show should look.

"You mad bro" type posts can get you banned. It's a dumb meme anyways.

You're insinuating that I would do posts like that here. :lol

Maria-sama ga Miteru S2 08

I don't like this Touko girl at all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Besides Tsumiki, Potemayo, and Fear Kubrick, are there any other characters with gradient color changing hair of godlinesS? Or is that all?

It's technically not anime, but look up art of Hijiri Byakuren from the Touhou universe if you want to see a really awesome example. I'm no Touhou fan and I'll never really understand why otaku love it so much, but it's inescapable on fanart sites so somehow I'm familiar with dozens of characters that I know nothing about. If you love gradient hair, you'll love Byakuren.

Hakurei Reimu is the best

Joule

It's technically not anime, but look up art of Hijiri Byakuren from the Touhou universe if you want to see a really awesome example. I'm no Touhou fan and I'll never really understand why otaku love it so much, but it's inescapable on fanart sites so somehow I'm familiar with dozens of characters that I know nothing about. If you love gradient hair, you'll love Byakuren.

Hakurei Reimu is the best
Reimu's cool. I like Marisa better though because lasers.
Mad Pierrot, arm pit fetish confirmed.

Has Cajun not seen Manabi Straight? Gradient hair for days.

This girl has a face like a manatee. Creeps me out, especially when all the old man faces are so rich with detail. Info dump episode (mostly of stuff I already assumed/knew) with a fight mixed in. Didn't really do a lot for me and I don't really know if I'll stick to this show. This show is just hitting the story beats way too fast and it's kind of just out of control at this point. Even the sloggy info dump couldn't really reset the emotional bearings.

You know, I don't think I've seen you make 1 positive post. Just something I've noticed. Though, I'd probably agree with you in this case once I see the episode.

Tsuritama 1

Like the first episode of previous Nakamura shows, I'm really not sure where this is going to go. It's got the relaxing life by the sea vibe, but then it's more energetic than most slice-of-life shows thanks to the bright, vivid art design and perky music, and then there's this whole "saving the world" stuff? It's pretty baffling. Unlike the first episode of previous Nakamura shows, I found this thoroughly enjoyable. Nakamura's directing style in the past has tended towards the obscure, and especially at the beginning of Trapeze and Mononoke it's been so obscure that it distances me from the narrative and characters. This time the direction was handled just right to draw me into this quirky version of Enoshima, and everything worked together as a total package to set the right atmosphere. The watery depiction of the protagonist's social anxiety is inventive and evocative. Haru is a complete enigma, and I could see others being turned off by his high-pitched voice, but I found him charming. Maybe he squirted me with his water gun. The fishing scene did a good job of expressing the joy and excitement of reeling a fish in.

I'm excited to see where this one goes. It feels like there's a coherent artistic vision behind it, unlike that show that shall not be named but rhymes with sea.

Kids on the Slope 1

I can see the visual problems others have complained about. The simple way the characters are drawn makes them look flat, which conflicts with the depth the gradiant shading is attempting to give. Some of the shots are particularly unsuccessful:

But most of the time it doesn't bother me, and the general environmental design and lighting gives off the right atmosphere. The pacing is great, fitting in a lot of character development without feeling rushed.

The portrayal of music is spot-on, as expected from Watanabe. The contrast between Naoru's grudging resort to the piano as an escape and Sentaro's joyful, primal love of the drums is perfectly portrayed by the scenes at Naoru's relatives' home and the lovingly animated drum sequence in the basement of the record store. I also liked the contrast between their two interpretations of Moanin' - Naoru's nailed what happens when a classically trained pianist attempts to play jazz. The use of background music to depict his psyche was smart, opening up from the initial isolationist drone when he enters the classroom to the drums underlying his delightful jaunt at the end. This is the kind of attention to detail that I can get behind.

I don't know if this is blasphemy, but I like the ED more than the OP.

It's interesting how much I'm able to personally sympathize with the protagonists of both these shows, although more so with that of Kids on the Slope since I love the piano but hate fishing.

duckroll

In terms of appeal and direction, I think it's pretty obvious that the OP is intended to be more appealing to general audiences including male demographics, while the ED is very specifically targeted at more feminine tastes. As such, it is not surprising that most people here would prefer the OP over the ED. I really like several of the touches in the ED from Akemi, but the only thing which I feel is rather lazy/lame is the use the spiral lines which seems lazily lifted from the visual design of Penguin Drum. Both Akemi and Nakamura worked on MPD and the Apollon ED, so the similarity there isn't surprising, but they are both also capable of something more original imo, so that was disappointing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Reimu's cool. I like Marisa better though because lasers.
Mad Pierrot, arm pit fetish confirmed.

Has Cajun not seen Manabi Straight? Gradient hair for days.

Nothing wrong with Marisa! I'm also pretty partial to Patchouli and Youmu, plus tons of minor characters. Japan churns out so much high-quality art for these characters on a daily basis, I might as well enjoy it.

Touhou infected me with dozens of disgusting and reprehensible fetishes. I can count like ten from Reimu alone. Mikos are my weakness <3

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You know, I don't think I've seen you make 1 positive post. Just something I've noticed. Though, I'd probably agree with you in this case once I see the episode.
I make positive posts all the time. About stuff that's actually good like Space Bros., Sankarea, KotS, MGX, and Lupin. I also had favorably impressions about E7AO and Saint Saya Omega. If anything I might be too lenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom