• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Man I envy you guys who can do pretty much anything at work, things just get too busy to even think about goofing off where I work. Feels like its been forever since I've been here even though I think I managed a post or two sometime yesterday. It's kind of weird that I feel compelled to catch up on so many pages of posts when by the time I catch up I've either forgotten what I wanted to reply to or don't feel its worth dredging up something so ancient at that point. Now all my thoughts and reactions are doomed to float in the aether of the not internet, oh well.

My plan on my day off today was to marathon/poopsock Utena until sexy cars happened but I reached an episode where I had to step back and digest what the hell just happened.

Utena 21

The nice thing about the black rose arc is all the attention side characters get who would otherwise be swept aside and ignored in lesser shows, even one of Nanami's lackeys gets a whole episode to herself! What I didn't like was how everything ends up maintaining the status quo but this gets addressed thematically later on. Damn that eternity of school life.

Utena 22

Its so weird to get an episode that's so lacking in flash in this show but I guess this was intended to emphasize that such a dry character would get such a dry treatment. Even if it was all to set up the next episode that doesn't make this less of an exposition dump. It kind of makes me wish hour long anime was more of an acceptable thing seeing all the time constraints this show sometimes has to deal with. It worked wonders to balance out the info dumps in Katanagatari for example and Darker than Black S1 which was almost all two part stories would've benefitted greatly as well.

Utena 23

And THIS is where I had to stop my marathon to figure out what the hell just happened.
Mamiya was dead the whole time, didn't start the fire, AND the whole time he was Himemiya?! WHAT? Clearly she's a freaking witch and Chu-chu is her familiar. I can understand Mikage being delusional/tricked but EVERYONE was seeing the mirage of Nemuro Memorial hall still standing? Conveniently most of the characters don't remember a thing about the black rose duels and Akio continues to pull a wonderful revolver ocelot. I look forward to any quadruple-crosses or chats with the president! You just can't have a shadowy puppet master like this and not have a betrayal of some sort.

What sort of work do you do?

survivor

Banned
Children Who Chase Voices is his worst movie feel free to skip entirely.

Go for 5cm per second.

He already watched 5cm/s and didn't like it. That's why I recommended Children to see if his other type of movies might interest Deputy Dangle more.

Articalys

The newest list of series to vote on DAISUKI is now up:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/survey/299/
UZrzNIm.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Black Rose Saga in Utena will make a lot more sense once you finish the show. Keep in mind the fate of
Nemuro, specifically Akio's conversation with him at the end.

After some Shinkai discussion going around yesterday, it made me feel pretty curious. Which of his films would you guys recommend? I saw 5 Centimeters Per Second years ago and was left feeling very cold towards it. I can't deny that it looked pretty though! And that's always the one of his body of work that seems to get thrown around a lot when it comes to recommendations. I plan to watch The Garden of Words over the weekend as well. I mean 46 minutes can't hurt, right?

Watch Voices of a Distant Star and A Gathering of Cats (from AniKuri15). They're even shorter (30 minutes and 1 minute, respectively).

/XX/

The photographies by catalina (@ginban_catalina) of the Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's Original Drawing Collection book show it as of fine quality:

庵野秀明責任編集「安彦良和アニメーション原画集「機動戦士ガンダム」」と「文藝別冊/KAWADE夢ムック 総特集 山田太一」が届いたー♪:録画地獄:So-net blog
http://catalina.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-05-30-1

Looking good, in my opinion!

And, you know, I find great that Studio Khara (or χαρα) promotes an art-book edited by Hideaki Anno (https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/340313905798709249)... but, what happened to the Takeshi Honda complete works one that was promised and they also promoted two years ago? Announced and then it dissappeared into thin air. :-(

cajunator

Banned
My roommates just showed a new friend Cat Soup.
He has been enlightened. About to show him Dragon Half. now THAT is gonna be fun :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Utena 23

And THIS is where I had to stop my marathon to figure out what the hell just happened.
Mamiya was dead the whole time, didn't start the fire, AND the whole time he was Himemiya?! WHAT? Clearly she's a freaking witch and Chu-chu is her familiar. I can understand Mikage being delusional/tricked but EVERYONE was seeing the mirage of Nemuro Memorial hall still standing? Conveniently most of the characters don't remember a thing about the black rose duels and Akio continues to pull a wonderful revolver ocelot. I look forward to any quadruple-crosses or chats with the president! You just can't have a shadowy puppet master like this and not have a betrayal of some sort.
Deeper. Go deeper.

What sort of work do you do?

I'm a pharmacy technician which consists of a lot of trying not to fuck up and get people killed, that and dealing with people's insurance which is a nightmare all its own. Medicine is serious enough business that I don't think patients would appreciate seeing me goof off and watch anime. It may not sound like it but I like my job for the most part it, its certainly not boring.

/XX/

Regarding DAISUKI, is there a way of checking which shows are going to be available on which region? Searching on a per-show basis isn't very practical... :-(

e_i

Go for 5cm per second.

I don't agree. The movie is him trying to emulate Miyazaki, but it's not worth skipping. At least, watch it for the gorgeous scenery.

Theonik

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a Pixiv search gone wrong.

Doki Doki wishes it was trending as much as Smile.

Come on, Smile is still curb stomping you when it comes to fan arts being submitted. Not that I entirely mind...
Regina will save Doki Doki. You'll see. /7th

If you want :firehawk then look no further than the Korean masterpiece, DOGGY POO.
Doggy Poo is too deep for Firehawk. Not sure if he can deal with it.

Valvrave 08:

oh man L-Elf
WAS JUST PRETENDING TO BE RESTRAINED THE WHOLE TIME
AAAAAAAAAAAGHFHHHHHHHH. Best thing about the episode was
I WILL REVENGEANCE AINA guy just suddenly getting ganked in the hallway on his way to the batcave
That part literally killed me. Everyone around me at the time must have thought I was demented.

For fuck's sake people...

DO NOT WATCH MAX HEART. PRETEND IT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST.

Enough people have suffered. Don't add yourself to the body count.
There can never be enough blood in the journey to enlightenment.

on the List I note that you mention Baoh, but not specifically the dub. It must be the dub.
That's why I mentioned as such on my version of the list!

I don't like the idea of saying I poopsocked Futari wa Pretty Cure: Max Heart.
Sounds lewd.

Why can't we ever resolve waifu wars this way?
Because School Days.

Nozoki Ana OVA (Sexy Extended Version)

Skimmed through this version and it's exactly the same except they added the
teacher
stuff and not the amazing
NTR BONER.
:/
That's a disappointment.

Garden of Words is in the same direction as 5cm/s although you might appreciate its different approach to romance. I'd say watch Children who Chase Lost Voices since that's his most different movie.

Go for 5cm per second.
Watch Voices of a Distant Star and A Gathering of Cats (from AniKuri15). They're even shorter (30 minutes and 1 minute, respectively).

I'll keep these in mind for the future. Maybe Garden of Words will inspire me to go through his filmography after I start and finish a couple other backlog shows that I have lined up next. Hell, I'll even watch 5 Centimeters Per Second again since I might have a different perspective on it after 4 or so years.

Mr.Jeff

I don't follow.
I think he's trying to say if you're going to follow a pattern, a relatively long 14 point one is at least better than something like:
1)Trip and fall onto female character
2)Screamed at and slapped in the face
3)Force of slap causes you to trip, go to 1).

It doesn't excuse it though.

Having been watching Snafu... I'm feeling really insecure about my masculinity right now. I'm feeling really attached to Saika Chan. I... I think I'm still straight. I think.

Totsuka tends to do that.

Speaking of Oregairu, is it true that they seriously axed a huge amount of content from the last arc for the anime adaptation?

Don't read the LN, but after hearing from some other places, it looks like they skimmed over Volume 5 completely except for the end, being Yui's date from episode 9.

Valvrave the Liberator Episode 8 – Princess of Light
tumblr_mnq02wvQdh1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mnq02wvQdh1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Haruto is L-elfs sugar? Nice, loved that whole scene and even the peace sign and what not. Last episode and this one have really brought the series to a new level for me. Otherwise I dont have much more to say on the episode, it went in the logical direction, did everything I expected it to and more, and what not. Its hitting its stride as people would say.

I hope Thunder isnt the one that becomes the pilot. I would much rather Kyuuma becomes it. After sitting there and seeing that he could do nothing, and for such a great character thats been around since the beginning and what not, he deserves it. I still would hope L-elf gets a Valvrave, and somehow I almost feel as if Shoko would get one, but I think she would also die due to the plot to make Haruto change or something. A-drei as well should pilot, he's always there too.

cajunator

Banned
I'm a pharmacy technician which consists of a lot of trying not to fuck up and get people killed, that and dealing with people's insurance which is a nightmare all its own. Medicine is serious enough business that I don't think patients would appreciate seeing me goof off and watch anime. It may not sound like it but I like my job for the most part it, its certainly not boring.

Pharmacy.
thats neat.
definitely have to pay attention to what youre doing!

The twist is that it's a terrible Scientology parable written to force Will Smith's son into a starring role.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.
might go watch it a second time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He already watched 5cm/s and didn't like it. That's why I recommended Children to see if his other type of movies might interest Deputy Dangle more.
Whoops, I didn't read the whole convo.
I don't agree. The movie is him trying to emulate Miyazaki, but it's not worth skipping. At least, watch it for the gorgeous scenery.

iYaPQIaMoykn7.png

Acosta

Attack on Titans 08

I don't understand anything anymore :p still cool, I really like the action and the characters.

Valvrave 5

WTF I'm watching? :|
A romantic triangle now? come on
If 6 is not super amazing I think I will drop this. (the ending song is great).

Yuyushiki 7

Some episodes make me laugh loud, not this one, but there is something in this show that makes it so adorable no matter what, it´s like seeing kitties or puppies doing something funny. I just wish they stopped with the innuendos.

Live a Date Ep 3

Err, well, I started watching it because I was curious about the girl with the yellow eye (really like that character design), but the show is insane. Sometimes it amuses me, sometimes I enjoy it, and sometimes I wonder why I'm wasting my life watching this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Space Brothers] 59

A very mute but emotionally powerful episode, up to the revelation that
whatshisface had died
. I understand the point was to show the shock in Pico and Vince's character, but
the way it was framed with the quivering lips and spastic camera cuts are ridiculously melodramatic for what had been a beautiful episode in its "low-key"ness.

Metrotab

Banned
These episodes are true nailbiters, the battle never ends!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 80: The Battle of the Corridor - Part II: Kaleidoscope

~ If we all strive for our common goal, our victory is all but assured. ~

And another Admiral falls. RIP von Steinmetz.
Battle Reinhard is best Reinhard. Things seem to go a lot better too when he's directly ordering things instead of relying on plans. Most of the strategies are quickly picked up on by Yang anyway, so better get that attrition going and figure things out on the spot.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Garden of Words:

Shinkai's best looking film yet. Too bad my client crashes when I try to seek or else I'd post some screencaps.

Story was okay, typical Shinkai although I wish it had a "happy ending" instead of this bittersweet shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom