• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yu-Gi-Oh S0 3

Prophetic ep and also a really good engaging one what with Jonouchi and Honda sticking up for Yuugi and Kaiba being better developed than the last two antagonists. Yami game was pretty awesome this time around especially with all the psychotic Yuugi faces.

Using Duel Monsters are the framework worked so well too. Imagine if they based a whole series around this concept!

You make me want to rewatch all of Yu-gi-oh again.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure 13-18

It seems the show is no longer content with just sending one villain at a time, because while Poisony continues to torment the Cures wherever they go, another member of the Dark Five, Kiriya, has now infiltrated their school as a transfer student and started involving himself in everyone's personal lives.

Except...he doesn't actually seem all that villainous. Sure, he's backed up Poisony in her schemes once or twice, but over the six episodes he's been around so far, he hasn't really done anything to actively harm the Cures or anyone around them. The few times he has made an ass of himself (eg.
playing football a little too violently
and
tearing up a love letter meant for him
) seem to be more due to his inexperience with human decency than an actual desire to cause harm, and thanks to a constant stream of lecturing from Honoka, he seems to be honestly trying to improve in that regard.

At this rate, it seems only a matter of time before a full-on heel-face-turn sets in, and indeed in the latest episode, Honoka and Nagisa were saved at the last moment from one of Poisony's more deadly traps by an unexplained force that could well have been Kiriya's doing.

But no worries! It doesn't look like the show has given up on throwing multiple villains into the fray yet, because judging from the next-episode preview, it looks like the final member of the Dark Five is also going to get in on the fun. Villains, villains everywhere!

As a side note, I don't think I've mentioned yet that the show's ending theme is really catchy. It was stuck in my head all yesterday. (Papayapaya~!) The opening theme is amazing too, of course, but that's such a classic that I've known it for years, so it doesn't leave quite as big an impression.

Oh, and it was so sweet in episode 13 when the Science Club girls
all secretly agreed to name their project after Yuriko instead of Honoka
. YOU GUYS WIN AT FRIENDSHIP FOREVER.

Lucky Star 04

tL5c79Fl.jpg

Heh.

I do like seeing all those KyoAni merchandise just being sprinkled around the show.

Futari wa Precure 13-18

It seems the show is no longer content with just sending one villain at a time, because while Poisony continues to torment the Cures wherever they go, another member of the Dark Five, Kiriya, has now infiltrated their school as a transfer student and started involving himself in everyone's personal lives.

Except...he doesn't actually seem all that villainous. Sure, he's backed up Poisony in her schemes once or twice, but over the six episodes he's been around so far, he hasn't really done anything to actively harm the Cures or anyone around them. The few times he has made an ass of himself (eg.
playing football a little too violently
and
tearing up a love letter meant for him
) seem to be more due to his inexperience with human decency than an actual desire to cause harm, and thanks to a constant stream of lecturing from Honoka, he seems to be honestly trying to improve in that regard.

At this rate, it seems only a matter of time before a full-on heel-face-turn sets in, and indeed in the latest episode, Honoka and Nagisa were saved at the last moment from one of Poisony's more deadly traps by an unexplained force that could well have been Kiriya's doing.

But no worries! It doesn't look like the show has given up on throwing multiple villains into the fray yet, because judging from the next-episode preview, it looks like the final member of the Dark Five is also going to get in on the fun. Villains, villains everywhere!

As a side note, I don't think I've mentioned yet that the show's ending theme is really catchy. It was stuck in my head all yesterday. (Papayapaya~!) The opening theme is amazing too, of course, but that's such a classic that I've known it for years, so it doesn't leave quite as big an impression.

Oh, and it was so sweet in episode 13 when the Science Club girls
all secretly agreed to name their project after Yuriko instead of Honoka
. YOU GUYS WIN AT FRIENDSHIP FOREVER.

I think I recall an episode that happens later on where they decide to sing the ED for the reason you like it.

Eleuin

Valvrave is super-entertaining as long as you don't try to take it seriously. It doesn't really ask to be anyway. First episode is pretty blase but the absurdity quickly picks up afterwards. I haven't watched the other two, but the consensus seems to be that Gargantia is worth watching and Majestic Prince is not.
Flowers of Evil.
Valvrave - impossible to take seriously but has flashes of Code Geass-tier entertaining insanity if you approach the show as a comedy rather than a drama.

Gargantia - has mecha but isn't really a mecha show. Still easily worth watching for the gorgeous background art and the exploration of how people from two culturally-opposite societies interact.

Majestic Prince - ugly, not funny.

Also try Attack on Titan, Yuyushiki, and Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san from this season. Everyone watching Aku no Hana seems to love it as well.

Thanks guys I guess I'll check out everything except Majestic Prince.

As for Aku no Hana / Flowers of Evil I forgot to mention how I watched the first episode a while ago and couldn't get over how jarring the rotoscoping was to me (detail inconsistency, poor lip syncing etc).
Does it get any better? I've read the manga so I know how amazing the story goes but I don't think I can handle the rotoscoping just to get there.

Soma

As for Aku no Hana / Flowers of Evil I forgot to mention how I watched the first episode a while ago and couldn't get over how jarring the rotoscoping was to me (detail inconsistency, poor lip syncing etc).
Does it get any better? I've read the manga so I know how amazing the story goes but I don't think I can handle the rotoscoping just to get there.

I think it does or perhaps I just got used to it. It bugged the hell out of me in the beginning of the series but it's become a non-issue at this point.

I got used to the rotoscoping as well, and I feel it really works in the show's favor. It's been consistently great episode after episode. The most recent two episodes have especially knocked it out of the park.

Mature

Thanks guys I guess I'll check out everything except Majestic Prince.

Yes.

Haganai dub, boys and girls.

Anime News Network said:
Kodaka Hasegawa - Jerry Jewell
Yozora Mikazuki - Whitney Rodgers
Sena Kashiwazaki - Jad Saxton
Rika Shiguma - Alexis Tipton
Yukimura Kusunoki - Ashleigh Domangue
Maria Takayama - Kristi Kang
Kobato Hasegawa - Alison Viktorin

Wierd hearing Jerry Jewell in a role like this. He'll always be Lau from Black Butler to me.

Mr.Jeff

Though I wouldn't mind them in a Super Robot Wars kind of game, alongside Strike Witches, Sky Girls and IS.
Weird, I was kinda hoping for something akin to Fire Emblem or Advance Wars (although naturally with only tanks).

Watching Tokyo Godfathers tonight. I hope it's as good as I hear it is.

cajunator

Banned
Date a Live 07

I saw this episode already since Kurumi showed up in it, but it was worth seeing again.
Kurumi is one dangerous girl. Her outfit is hnnngh and the way her hair covers up the clock in her eye. Damn she's amazing. Also imouto #2 showed up. How many imoutos does MC have? This show continues to be ridiculously fun. Also ARA ARA <3

rankings:

Kurumi >>> Tohka > Yoshino > Origami > Reine > Yamae > Imouto Mana > Origami's AST squad > Imouto Kotori

cajunator

Banned
I'm almost getting convinced to watch Date a Live for the Clock Eyes Yandere action.

Wise words

Always works. Always.

Clockface is above all the others, but actually this show is fun from the beginning. The girls are all pretty great. Some nice action fighting scenes too.

That seems like a large rankings list for 7 episodes

Not really. Certain characters definitely stand out. Kurumi just steals the show though.

Jyw9i7a.jpg

Does he look like girl to you, sir?

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East 4

Kind of an underwhelming end for the corrupted Monk, even after the twist was revealed. Really warming up to Gen and Ko, hope they appear more.

And lol at Satomi not realizing the reason he was chosen was because he was prettier than any girl.

Jex

Garden of Words:

Shinkai's best looking film yet. Too bad my client crashes when I try to seek or else I'd post some screencaps.

Story was okay, typical Shinkai although I wish it had a "happy ending" instead of this bittersweet shit.

You would ask the wind not to blow? The tides not to flow? The starts not to shine?

Jex

How does one screencap the falling rain, the ripples on a pond or the burst of water droplets hitting flower petals?

It is impossible.

Well, one can use a variety of methods to capture the images and turn them into gifs, or one can just google image such the film and search by type 'animated'.

&#12450;&#12524;&#12473;&#12486;&#12483;&#12489;&#12539;&#12487;&#12451;&#12505;&#12525;&#12503;&#12513;&#12531;&#12488; S4 1-4

I can't say I'm really feeling this so far as most of the jokes feel like they're just piggybacking off of stuff that was far funnier in the first three seasons. It's like, "Hey, remember this scene/joke/guy/cameo and how funny that was????"

Maybe it gets better but this is pretty disappointing so far. :(

Don't worry it gets much better. Rewatching has made the beginning episodes much more enjoyable too.

I'm almost getting convinced to watch Date a Live for the Clock Eyes Yandere action.

Clockface attitude and voice are legendary ..but if you can lower your expectations for the first 12 minutes you should be ok. The anime really goes in the right places afterwards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, one can use a variety of methods to capture the images and turn them into gifs, or one can just google image such the film and search by type 'animated'.

But for wallpapers jexhius, WALLPAPERS.

....What the hell does K-On! even mean?

I was sort of expecting them to make it the band name in episode 11, but that didn't happen.

So is it just random?

I was sort of expecting them to make it the band name in episode 11, but that didn't happen.

So is it just random?

Well, Light Music Club is keionbu.

EDIT: I guess the question was more of why it's spelled that way, in which case wakarimasen lol.

cajunator

Banned
I mean impression posts here.
Most of them seem to suggest it being pretty shit, even by harem standards.

Well it definitely isnt shit. Its glorious. I mean, its a harem. what do people expect it to be like? Its designed to throw cute girls at the Mc at every turn and it does a great job of it, while also having the battle aspect. Its very very good at what it does.

So is it just random?

K-on is light music club or something.

Theonik

I didn't know this was an option...
It wasn't until relatively recently so it makes sense.

So is it just random?
K-ON! is a pun on Keionbu which is light music club.
The band itself will be named later I think if it hasn't already.

Stulaw

Oreimo s2 ep 9
Well, that was a pretty mellow episode
I guess Ruri just wanted Kirino and Kyousuke to get along. Kirino still says that she hates him, but it's obviously the opposite, and the fact that Kyousuke still can't just say that he loves Ruri without thinking about Kirino's feelings is a bit worrisome
also, next week
My Little Sister Can't wear a Wedding Dress
probably a bit misleading.

So do they sing in English too? Stuff like that would bother the hell out of me, plus I don't even like a vast majority of dubs.

No, it's pretty disappointing honestly, considering even Futari wa Precure sung its ending theme in english for one of the episodes, then again, it also did change the names :/.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
OreImo S2 09:

Kuronekocute_zps4367082a.jpg

Do you even need to fucking ask? HNNNNNG!

This episode featured a role-reversal in that Kirino is the one helping Kyousuke with his problem. The pacing of this episode felt deliberately slow, yet there seemed to be more cuts to different angles for the expressions of the characters. I get the feeling this episode was trying to feel really climactic, like this was the end of some amazing arc or something, but I just didn't feel the impact. I think if Kyousuke and Kuroneko had
been dating for more than an episode, and maybe had seen more of Kirino's reactions to said dating,
it might have worked.

I will add however that for once Kirino wasn't a complete bitch. I know, I'm just as shocked as you are. It only took, what? 24 episodes? Even though her feelings are still all over the park, for one episode she finally showed some sincerity. Would have been nice if this had happened much sooner.

Frankly I don't know where they're going to take it from here, but considering how few episodes are left, I have a feeling this won't end well for Team Kuroneko. :/

Midonin

Muromi 09

Yeti is so a Hastur. And having Wiseman voiced by the Hochu Otsuka was a great choice. This show just keeps getting zanier. Muromi has a shellphone and what appears to be a shell bag of holding. Who knows what else she's keeping in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom