• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your pick, sensei?

Nagisa!
tumblr_mlvezaJegf1spqr87o1_500.jpg

Though Ill always be on #TeamRival

I'm sitting here at work wondering if I've torpedoed my productivity by making a GAF account. I'm glad most video sites are blocked and Youtube is heavily throttled, I don't think anyone here would get anything done otherwise.

Good thing my job is simply to just stay awake. I work front desk at a hotel during 11pm to 7am and my bosses literally told me, "you can pretty much do anything you want to help you not fall asleep."

So here I am. Should be playing some Professor Layton though. I brought it with me but didn't even crack open my 3DS the whole night.

Westlo

Nozoki Ana OVA (Sexy Extended Version)

Skimmed through this version and it's exactly the same except they added the
teacher
stuff and not the amazing
NTR BONER.
:/

That shit at that club was nuts, wish it was animated, so hot, so much rage, dat ntr.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of people's time at work... I'm at work now... watching ep. 5 of Attack on Titan...

Man I get WAY too busy to watch anime at work.
The only exception is New Years Eve, when we have the trucks off the road by 11 Pm and until 4:30 am. I usually watch a movie or build a puzzle.
We do have flatscreens so usually we can watch a bit of TV.

Futari wa Precure 1-11

OH GOD, WHAT AM I DOING.

Hi, PrecureGAF. I have succumbed to your promises of cute and happiness and OH GOD OVER 450 EPISODES AND COUNTING. You'll probably tell me that I should start with Heartcatch or Smile. To that I say: HAH! When I start a series, I start from the beginning, damn it. I don't CARE if there's no continuity. I don't CARE if Max Heart is the most terrible creation known to man. I don't CARE if the chances that I'll actually find enough time to get as far as Heartcatch or Smile in my lifetime are depressingly low. I'M STARTING AT THE BEGINNING AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

...Honestly, if I get through Futari wa to Max Heart and it successfully breaks my spirit, I might at that point consider skipping to some of the later series. But if I do, that will mean I have LOST. This is not what I desire. I'm going to do my damnedest to do this the way my heart tells me I should do it, and that means I start here, where it all began.

Impressive dedication. SO you will take the same path that i did ?
There will be troubled times , some challenges( beware of yes precure ) but hopefully you will prevail. The precure experience in the right order is the best IMO.

Don't forget the movies if you're a completionist !

For fuck's sake people...

DO NOT WATCH MAX HEART. PRETEND IT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST.

Enough people have suffered. Don't add yourself to the body count.
Lol .it's too late ! It's no use !

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Heartocatchi Precure - Starting with the best according to y'all. 10 episodes~ here, too. Too fun, I can't help but simultaneously fall off the couch laughing and die a little inside every time one of the mascots shits out a heart seed or whatever. I mean really, wtf lol
Because I haven't posted it in ages...
The Freudcatch Formula:

1. Person feels constrained by their ego/superego
2. Bad guy shows up, extracts heart flower
3. Monster made from extracted heart, goes on rampage
4. Monster discovered, Precures transform
5. Small exchange of attacks
6. Monster then starts yelling out as the expression of the victim's id
7. Bad guy mocks the victim's problems
8. Precure (usually Blossom) rebuts mocking, shouts "I've had enough"
9. Finishing attack
10. Heart returned to victim's body
11. Mascot shits out a coin
12. Shot of coin going into container
13. NOW THE HEART TREE WILL GET BETTER

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sounds about right so far. I'm ok with that, though. Kumojacky is a boss.
The rigidity bothered me for the majority of the show. Like, any variation of that formula or antics inserted between steps are rare. I would say it's worth sticking with, though, because there are non-formula episodes and those are pretty cool.

Necrovex

What kind of crazy grocery do you work at? I'm both intrigued and wary of a grocery that is so...chill.

I don't want to name the store, since tin-hat reasons (it's a major chain store in Florida and Georgia). Anyway, the reason why I believe the store allows it is the costumer-first policy, and the location being in Florida. Old people simply don't give a damn at that point. I saw one man only buttoning the first two-lower button on his button up shirts. I seldom see people dress like that, but holy hell when it does occur.

I know all about how full time work can destroy free time and motivation to watch anime. It zaps your energy for one.

I'm hoping once I can finally stabilize my work situation that I'll be able to watch anime. But as of now, all I'm doing is working and kind of hanging with friends (and even that is rare). :-(

cajunator

Banned
. The reason why I believe the store allows it is the costumer-first policy, and the location being in Florida. Old people simply don't give a damn at that point. I saw one man only buttoning the first two-lower button on his button up shirts. I seldom see people dress like that, but holy hell when it does occur.

I'm hoping once I can finally stabilize my work situation that I'll be able to watch anime. But as of now, all I'm doing is working and kind of hanging with friends (and even that is rare). :-(

Oh I know ALL about this believe me. One of my friends I can only hang out with maybe once every two weeks because our schedules dont line up at all. It really kind of sucks.
Especially working a bunch of extra days. Its like man, give me a damned break so I can enjoy my anime! Right now Im watching Date a Live and life is pretty good. Episode 4 has turned into a full on harem at MC's home sort of situation but those are fun sometimes, even if its an old and tired idea.

cajunator

Banned
I wish I had money for things like this. But then, of course, my bedroom would be full of these kind of things.

I'm hoping to have Smile Precure finished by the second week of June at the latest. Then, I shall continue onwards in my Backwards Precure watch!

Im having problems with space at this point.
I dont really want to unbox the most recent ones until I can put them somewhere where dust wont get all over them. the curio is super full.
Maybe Ill look into getting an Ikea detolf shipped here.
How many figures can those things usually hold?

Jex

Gaint Robo is far more family friendly than Redline.

It's far better too.
Is Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still safe for family watching? Or am I being too daring by showing it to my family?

Otherwise I might just go with Nobita's Dinosaur Movie (2006). Or Redline.

My main problem with the Giant Robot OVA's, in your situation, would be that they're too long, you'd be better off going for a movie.

Necrovex

Oh I know ALL about this believe me. One of my friends I can only hang out with maybe once every two weeks because our schedules dont line up at all. It really kind of sucks.
Especially working a bunch of extra days. Its like man, give me a damned break so I can enjoy my anime! Right now Im watching Date a Live and life is pretty good. Episode 4 has turned into a full on harem at MC's home sort of situation but those are fun sometimes, even if its an old and tired idea.

The only good thing about working part-time at this store is the ability to study Japanese during my hour-long break. I, at least, can feel somewhat productive for that day.

cajunator

Banned
Date a Live 04

Yoshino is ADORABLE.
Like really really adorable. Also kind of a little smartass.
And then OH SHIT.
Houston we have a problem!

The alarm sound in this show is creepy as hell.
This is a very enjoyable series.

ranking:

Tohka > Reine > Yoshino > Origami > Yamae > Imouto

Having been watching Snafu... I'm feeling really insecure about my masculinity right now. I'm feeling really attached to Saika Chan. I... I think I'm still straight. I think.

The Totsuka Route has so many good moments animated.
If only there were a Hayama one too, instead of it only being in my eyes, I mean the one friend character in the anime.

Code BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA R2 23

Going into this, I just want to say that the way R2 ACTUALLY ended was Suzaku killing Lelouch at the Kurugi Shrine, then keeping his promise to shield Nunally from The Emperor. Since the Emperor's scheme pertains only to the fever dream of insanity that these last 5 episodes have been, I'm assuming that after doing this and exposing Geass and clearing Euphemia's name, Suzaku destroyed all things related to Geass to avert future hazards. He became the Knight of One and freed Japan and over a long period of years the UFN caused the Empire's power to dwindle. THE END.

Then, the next year after, Sunrise released a movie sequel and it's just an hour and a half of Nina being savagely beaten to death.

We now return to your regularly programmed lapse of sanity.

Nunally throwing that crane and making the rainbow in the OP never ceases to be corny to me. As a teenager, I would have loved the HELL out of this show and rooted for Lelouch to the BITTER end.

You know Suzaku, you're gonna have to run it by me again, what Prince Sneasel has done, because I can't think of a damn thing. Aside from implying for the sake of yaoi fangirls and :DTL that he and Canon were gay, I haven't learned a SINGLE thing about Sneasel this entire time. It's funny that while Odysseus was probably meant to be the milque toast character, Sneasel's the one who wound up that way. He's like an empty jack in the box. I keep cranking expecting something, and when the box opens . . . ta da, nothing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some
Nunally tearing Lelouch a new one
to bask in. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of Lelouch pretending to be some comic book villain to hide the truth that isn't actually the truth. No better way to get people to believe you're a scumbag than to tell them you are one, I guess.

OH HERE WE GO FUCKING NINA GETTING TO FEEL SO GUILTY. MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE. YOU KNOW. DEVELOPED A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION. FOR PRINCE SNEASEL. WHICH HE HAS NOW USED. What in the name of the God of Mecha, WHAT did you think you were building when you made a goddamn GIANT NUCLEAR BOMB?

Princess Cornelia is the Best Girl in the show. Possibly the best character. She also had one of the best mecha, because it had a frickin' cape.

If this speech passes for character development for Prince Sneasel, consider me underwhelmed.

OH GOD DAMN YOU GOD OF MECHA WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME!??!!? I MEAN SERIOUSLY, FIRST YOU TAKE
Ray and Charles
FROM ME, THEN
Kamina, and my bro, Kamille Bidan,
AND LET'S NOT FORGET
Princess Euphemia
NOW YOU DO THIS?

WHY YOU DO THIS? WHY WOULD YOU
kill Cornelia?
WHY?

Is Sayoko's Maid thing stuck to her head? If not, why is she still wearing it in a hospital bed?

HEY. HEY WRITERS. HEY. You know who DOESN'T understand why Lelouch is doing this? ME. THE AUDIENCE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Why is Suzaku working with Lelouch now? WHY WOULD YOU MAKE SUCH AN ENORMOUS CHANGE AND THEN NOT EXPLAIN IT FOR OVER AN EPISODE? Please stop making cryptic allusions to the Zero Requiem! I didn't skip an episode, so you can't pretend like I did!

Gee, Lelouch, tell me again, why did all those people die? It couldn't be the numerous times you ordered people against their will to kill themselves en masse, could it? Or the multitude of people you murdered through subterfuge? Or the time you
forced your sister to murder innocent people before you murdered her yourself, you slimy, craven scumbag piece of dirt.

Like, am I supposed to feel sorry for Lelouch? Am I meant to sympathize with him or his cause at all? How can I? I don't even know what that cause IS anymore, and every shitty, evil, petty thing he's done so far stands between me and giving him the benefit of the doubt. This barely even seems like the same PLOT anymore.

Hey you know what I like? Nina is working for the shitbag who
murdered her beloved Euphemia
and also has betrayed Sneasel, but nobody goes "Oh she makes her way to the top by betraying everyone constantly" like they did with Suzaku, even though you know, it's the same thing. Fuck you, Canon. If Sneasel is a side character trying to be a main character you're an extra from another show entirely.

NO. WAIT. You can't just musically montage over the fact that
Valetta is pregnant with Ogie's baby.
!! GET BACK HERE WITH THAT.

"I'll make both of you into records on my harddrive." Bwahahahahahaha. That's . . . a line. In this show.

How does Prince Sneasel know Lelouch better than anybody else? Lelouch vanished when he was like, eight. And now suddenly Sneasel is an expert on him? The only one on your side who'd know would be Nunally, bro.

You know, it SOUNDS all exciting as they rearrange for all these different battle formations at once, but basically this would look really dumb to anybody watching it, and be annoying as hell to the soldiers participating. Lelouch's soldiers I can buy, because they're forced into Geass obedience, so they MUST do as he says. But Sneasel's would get fed up or someone (Tamaki) would crack and initiate combat.

Lelouch's plan is to send all his guys to die until his brother's nigh infinite supply of nuclear warheads runs out. Tell me again why anyone thinks Lelouch is smart at all? This is the stupidest plan of the ever.

Nevermind. Lelouch's plan requires he rely on Nina. He's fucked. Even if he succeeds, he'll have to listen to her whine about how successful she was, and well, then he'll wish he'd lost.

You are going to watch the last episode and laugh so hard you'll rupture something.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Having been watching Snafu... I'm feeling really insecure about my masculinity right now. I'm feeling really attached to Saika Chan. I... I think I'm still straight. I think.

Don't worry. We all go through this in SNAFU. Just emphasizes how poor the other girls are.

cajunator

Banned
Not directed at me, I know, but I'm thinking about watching Date a Live myself. And maybe OreImo too, just to see if they actually have the guts to go with that ending.

Date a Live is a lot of fun.
Like a whole lot.
Its like TWGOK but with the girls being powerful spirits and stuff, so when they get upset, shit gets broken. The OP/ED are nice too. The character designs are pretty awesome too.
I want a figurine of just about every girl in this show. So much cute. So much awesome.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The kinsey scale goes from 0 to 6. So what if you're not a 0? Just accept it.

/XX/

Exactly, which is why I think that it's would be a good thing if the thread slowed down in the next few days. Anyone casually checking into the thread at the moment who isn't used to the kind of content that gets discussed within might just assume that it's all fairly vapid, when in fact that there's plenty of interesting comments and discussions within, as well lots of of enjoyable arguments about favourite characters and so forth. It's just important not to skew too far in a direction where there's far too much 'noise'.
It wouldn't be a proper community without its good dose of chit-chat, and knowing about people's vanal thoughts and preferences (for butts or otherwise) also gives necessary character to every further word by each poster, purely informative or not, so I welcome this relaxing ambient... although precisely this definition by Hitokage of 'mono no aware' can resume a problem derived from that:

Mono no aware is the appreciation of the flow of time, as seasons, years, and generations pass. Kind of the opposite of nostalgia without looking into the future.

... all those posts that pass away in the blink of an eye, all those feelings almost inadvertibly going their way out, but at the same time also make me eager of all the rapid succession and loads of interesting instant feelings expressed you will get in here, so in the end it evens out... conflicting but exciting notion!

Teekyu

That was awfully tiring for something that took less time than a trip to the bathroom, it was also LEWD. AIM FOR S2.
Wait for the more "savisu"! Shin Itagaki demands it...

Yeah, he's pretty great. His post on Nausicaa can be found here.

He even looks beyond film and explains how the language of comic books work as well his Watchmen stuff is excellent, see here.
SO nice! Thank you. I remember seeing his name while searching for Bill Benzon articles on (now defunct) The Valve blog (his dissertations always point out distinctions in the use of sound & music design that I find amazing to discover, I love his take on Walt Disney's Fantasia; http://www.thevalve.org/go/valve/article/episode_order_in_fantasia_revealing_the_human_mind/), but I didn't know he had his personal place to share these analysis. Excellent!

The Simpsons continues to go with everything!
Eight seasons with a bunch of unquiet young writers definitely make for a lot of topics to be explored!

After Free, sharp chins will be a thing again.
'Chinpocalypse_of_Evangelion.jpg'

Real answer: water animation is hard work.
That is why Mr. Miyazaki wants it all for himself:

GhibliWorld.com - The Ultimate Ghibli Collection Site - SUZUKI TOSHIO INTERVIEW said:
Suzuki: The waves are an important theme. He never makes others draw the waves. He draws them all by himself. He is devising to find a better way on how to express waves and sea. He is enjoying it. I don't know if it works well.
http://www.ghibliworld.com/suzuki_toshio_interview.html

Well, I think he would make EVERYTHING if he really could! The scribbly/wobbly feel they have is something lovely that he uses a lot on his animation lately, but sometimes I'm not sure if this is in part the years taking its toll from him.

I love good water effects, we need people like Masayuki or Shinya Ōhira on every work...

Nudull

Banned
So, I haven't actively watched anime in a good while, though I've dipped in and out over the past year and a half. Still, with me being free for the whole summer, I figured I'd get into it again. I've been hearing interesting things about Attack on Titan, and Devil Survivor 2 looks neat enough, at least, so I hope things go well.

jewelpet kira deco - 01

This has to be the ugliest anime bus I've ever seen.

He would be so depressed to hear you say that. (And he has enough character that I can confidently say that.) The look of the Decobus reminds me a bit of Yuri's CG car in Penguin Drum, in that it goes for a glossy look that would be impossible with 2D animation.

As with most of the other tacky, shiny things in the show though, it's handled wryly enough that I didn't mind. The proliferation of junk in the show is so gauche, but it's amusingly subversive about it.

I feel like the tackiness of the deco gets toned down as the series progresses, or perhaps I've just gotten used to it. At any rate, the show's self-awareness of that and its position as a promotional vehicle for the franchise, its willingness to play around and outside of the broad constraints placed on it, keeps it feeling fresh.

note: opal-hime is my favorite jewelpetthing

Sawashiro does a great job with both Opal and Labra.

So, I haven't actively watched anime in a good while, though I've dipped in and out over the past year and a half. Still, with me being free for the whole summer, I figured I'd get into it again. I've been hearing interesting things about Attack on Titan, and Devil Survivor 2 looks neat enough, at least, so I hope things go well.

DeSu2 is fun with tons of demons and attack spam and interesting character developments. Its sold me on the game.

cajunator

Banned
Date a Live 05

Hhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

followed by a bit of badassery. Yoshino is painfully adorable.
Her rabbit angel/demon whatever is formidable.
This show epitomizes the term "girl fight".
I wonder if Origami and this organization as a whole have some shady purpose? Is Imouto really MC's sister?

oh yeah. forgot rankings:

Tohka > Yoshino > Reine > Origami > Tamae > Imouto

Tohka is still the best because...well she is.

survivor

Banned
Garden of Words
I don't really remember 5cm/s, but I want to say it's a lot more subtle rather than less emotional. I can see why the climax wouldn't hit as hard, but I would say that's why it feels more realistic.
I think it's more that I liked the way the relationship in 5cm
was broken up and the eventual "reunion" hit me harder than say only meeting on rainy days and the crying scene at the end of Garden of Words.

You mean the after-credits scene? What was he saying there, actually?
I honestly thought you knew what he was saying at the end because your review pretty much was on point on what will happen after the end of the movie. Basically the translations were:
I now think that I was learning how to walk then, as well. One day, once I'm able to walk a far, far greater distance, I'll come for you.

The rain technology (these aren't spoilers, but linking them in case you want to see the stuff fresh when you watch it) in the movie was very impressive.

cajunator

Banned
Hmm a hot springs episode. Actually my least favorite kind of episode. Except for swimsuit episodes which I like even less. That probably sounds a bit weird doesn't it?

Jojo (2012) - 2

We have a mask that turns people into Vampires. Yeah.

Damn. This show certainly lives up to the "bizarre" part of it's title so far.

And so Jojo, I must ask you...Dio? Or no Dio?

I couldn't resist.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 24

NO WAY I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING

Looks like they finally brought out the 5 minutes of stock, though.

Also, I could buy the "they're letting the Precures win because nefarious plan" before, but now it's really dumb.

cnet128

Banned
Not directed at me, I know, but I'm thinking about watching Date a Live myself. And maybe OreImo too, just to see if they actually have the guts to go with that ending.

Which ending exactly? Presumably it's going to follow the light novels, which aren't over yet (final one comes out in a week's time, can't wait!) but I don't recall anything happening in them so far that would warrant the kind of controversy you're implying.

Most of the "omg I can't believe OreImo went there" scenarios I've seen people talking about around here either come from the non-canon PSP games (which include routes where Kyousuke marries practically every girl in the series, including an EXTRA-non-canon scenario where
it's revealed that Kirino and Kyousuke aren't actually blood related, so they get together
), or else from taking illustrations from the LNs out of context (such as novel 9, which contrives to get Kirino and Kyousuke
dressed up like a bride and groom thanks to some antics involving one of her modelling photo shoots
). I can't think of anything that's happened in canon that would prompt the same kind of controversy.

Futari wa Precure 12

Our third major villain, Poisony (great name you've got there), hits the scene! And turns out to be significantly more competent than the previous two. Instead of facing the Cures head-on, she
steals Mepple from Nagisa's pocket while distracting her with chocolate
. Since the Cures are essentially powerless with even one of their mascots missing, you'd think this would be pretty decisive, but unfortunately Poisony isn't quite as clever when it comes to obtaining the second mascot.

First mistake: She
brings Mepple along with her when she tries to trick Honoka
. Since the two mascots can sense each other, this raises suspicions immediately, plus of course bringing the two mascots in such close proximity vastly increases the chances of the Cures transforming in the end. If Poisony had simply hidden Mepple somewhere, they would have been powerless against her.

Even so, she could probably have got away with it if she'd just followed the same
pickpocketing tactic
she employed with Nagisa. Instead, she tries to
trick Honoka into handing over the mascot of her own accord
because, you know, nothing could possibly go wrong with that.

In the end, even this gambit almost proved successful, only being thwarted by an
awesome grandmother ex machina
. But even now, Poisony had the clear advantage! The Cures were still powerless, and she had an army of zombies AND a hostage mascot on her side! She would still have got away with it if she didn't fail epically at
actually keeping the hostage captive
. Mepple simply
slips out of her grasp by transforming
(if I was CorvoSol I would start a conspiracy theory at this point about how she clearly let Mepple escape because she had longer legs and could easily have caught up with him) and once the Cures and mascots are reunited, Poisony really doesn't stand a chance.

That said, I have to give her some credit: she does at least know when to cut her losses, since by the time the Cures transform, she
has already left the scene
. This way, she can return to scheme another day, instead of, you know, tasting a PRECURE MARBLE SCREW to the face. Not bad, Poisony, not bad.

After some Shinkai discussion going around yesterday, it made me feel pretty curious. Which of his films would you guys recommend? I saw 5 Centimeters Per Second years ago and was left feeling very cold towards it. I can't deny that it looked pretty though! And that's always the one of his body of work that seems to get thrown around a lot when it comes to recommendations. I plan to watch The Garden of Words over the weekend as well. I mean 46 minutes can't hurt, right?

cajunator

Banned
Which ending exactly? Presumably it's going to follow the light novels, which aren't over yet (final one comes out in a week's time, can't wait!) but I don't recall anything happening in them so far that would warrant the kind of controversy you're implying.

Most of the "omg I can't believe OreImo went there" scenarios I've seen people talking about around here either come from the non-canon PSP games (which include routes where Kyousuke marries practically every girl in the series, including an EXTRA-non-canon scenario where
it's revealed that Kirino and Kyousuke aren't actually blood related, so they get together
), or else from taking illustrations from the LNs out of context (such as novel 9, which contrives to get Kirino and Kyousuke
dressed up like a bride and groom thanks to some antics involving one of her modelling photo shoots
). I can't think of anything that's happened in canon that would prompt the same kind of controversy.

Futari wa Precure 12

Our third major villain, Poisony (great name you've got there), hits the scene! And turns out to be significantly more competent than the previous two. Instead of facing the Cures head-on, she
steals Mepple from Nagisa's pocket while distracting her with chocolate
. Since the Cures are essentially powerless with even one of their mascots missing, you'd think this would be pretty decisive, but unfortunately Poisony isn't quite as clever when it comes to obtaining the second mascot.

First mistake: She
brings Mepple along with her when she tries to trick Honoka
. Since the two mascots can sense each other, this raises suspicions immediately, plus of course bringing the two mascots in such close proximity vastly increases the chances of the Cures transforming in the end. If Poisony had simply hidden Mepple somewhere, they would have been powerless against her.

Even so, she could probably have got away with it if she'd just followed the same
pickpocketing tactic
she employed with Nagisa. Instead, she tries to
trick Honoka into handing over the mascot of her own accord
because, you know, nothing could possibly go wrong with that.

In the end, even this gambit almost proved successful, only being thwarted by an
awesome grandmother ex machina
. But even now, Poisony had the clear advantage! The Cures were still powerless, and she had an army of zombies AND a hostage mascot on her side! She would still have got away with it if she didn't fail epically at
actually keeping the hostage captive
. Mepple simply
slips out of her grasp by transforming
(if I was CorvoSol I would start a conspiracy theory at this point about how she clearly let Mepple escape because she had longer legs and could easily have caught up with him) and once the Cures and mascots are reunited, Poisony really doesn't stand a chance.

That said, I have to give her some credit: she does at least know when to cut her losses, since by the time the Cures transform, she
has already left the scene
. This way, she can return to scheme another day, instead of, you know, tasting a PRECURE MARBLE SCREW to the face. Not bad, Poisony, not bad.

I liked Poisony as a villain. She was the only one of the originals that wasnt a complete pushover and she actually accomplished stuff. She was the first actual threat to Nagisa and Honoka.

survivor

Banned
After some Shinkai discussion going around yesterday, it made me feel pretty curious. Which of his films would you guys recommend? I saw 5 Centimeters Per Second years ago and was left feeling very cold towards it. I can't deny that it looked pretty though! And that's always the one of his body of work that seems to get thrown around a lot when it comes to recommendations. I plan to watch The Garden of Words over the weekend as well. I mean 46 minutes can't hurt, right?

Garden of Words is in the same direction as 5cm/s although you might appreciate its different approach to romance. I'd say watch Children who Chase Lost Voices since that's his most different movie.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Children Who Chase Voices is his worst movie feel free to skip entirely.

Go for 5cm per second.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure 24

NO WAY I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING

Looks like they finally brought out the 5 minutes of stock, though.

Also, I could buy the "they're letting the Precures win because nefarious plan" before, but now it's really dumb.
You are so close to the good part, though.

Man I envy you guys who can do pretty much anything at work, things just get too busy to even think about goofing off where I work. Feels like its been forever since I've been here even though I think I managed a post or two sometime yesterday. It's kind of weird that I feel compelled to catch up on so many pages of posts when by the time I catch up I've either forgotten what I wanted to reply to or don't feel its worth dredging up something so ancient at that point. Now all my thoughts and reactions are doomed to float in the aether of the not internet, oh well.

My plan on my day off today was to marathon/poopsock Utena until sexy cars happened but I reached an episode where I had to step back and digest what the hell just happened.

Utena 21

The nice thing about the black rose arc is all the attention side characters get who would otherwise be swept aside and ignored in lesser shows, even one of Nanami's lackeys gets a whole episode to herself! What I didn't like was how everything ends up maintaining the status quo but this gets addressed thematically later on. Damn that eternity of school life.

Utena 22

Its so weird to get an episode that's so lacking in flash in this show but I guess this was intended to emphasize that such a dry character would get such a dry treatment. Even if it was all to set up the next episode that doesn't make this less of an exposition dump. It kind of makes me wish hour long anime was more of an acceptable thing seeing all the time constraints this show sometimes has to deal with. It worked wonders to balance out the info dumps in Katanagatari for example and Darker than Black S1 which was almost all two part stories would've benefitted greatly as well.

Utena 23

And THIS is where I had to stop my marathon to figure out what the hell just happened.
Mamiya was dead the whole time, didn't start the fire, AND the whole time he was Himemiya?! WHAT? Clearly she's a freaking witch and Chu-chu is her familiar. I can understand Mikage being delusional/tricked but EVERYONE was seeing the mirage of Nemuro Memorial hall still standing? Conveniently most of the characters don't remember a thing about the black rose duels and Akio continues to pull a wonderful revolver ocelot. I look forward to any quadruple-crosses or chats with the president! You just can't have a shadowy puppet master like this and not have a betrayal of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom