• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I nearly bought a Pleiades figurine at an anime con this year. Such an adorable show. wish it was licensed. Subaru anime isnt as good as Nissan anime though.

Ultimadrago

The KyoAni rankings: Nichijou > Festival Arc Hyouka > KOn! > Pre - Festival Arc Hyouka > Tamako Market

I don't know, I wouldn't have too much difficulty ranking their output:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
End of Evangelion
Wings of Honneamise
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Nadia the Secret of Blue Water
FLCL
Gunbuster
DieBuster
Daicon IV
Panty and Stocking
Otaku no Video

All the other shit.

This looks about right. Though I still have Diebuster, Gunbuster and Nadia on the backburn.

Crunchyroll got DD Fist of the North Star
[.IMG]http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/4dc0b7ac3f1a68607761df243340b1f31370367800_full.jpg[/IMG]
Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star is doubling up Crunchyroll duties with his starring role in the super-deformed anime spin-off DD Fist of the North Star. The series starts streaming today at 5pm Pacific.

I already got my Hyadain OP but I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to watch it.

I nearly bought a Pleiades figurine at an anime con this year. Such an adorable show. wish it was licensed. Subaru anime isnt as good as Nissan anime though.

Wasn't there also a BMW funded anime too? What's with all these car companies advertising through OVAs?

Are you talking about Rinne no Lagrange?

Nah, he means this. I didn't mean to rank it so low since I did find it amusing but with any list some things have to be ranked high and some things low.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You forgot the best one:

1347146893270.png

Speaking of Persona 3 whens that anime coming out. P3's OST is legendary.

Haven't reached her yet. ;_;

BluWacky

It's just KuroBas with swimming.

Unlike KuroBas, though, I think a lot of people will watch it because it's not a Shounen Jump adaptation and because it's KyoAni.

Therefore there will be a whole load more butthurt (irony intended). This is anime fandom, after all.

Girls und Panzer 7

Not even going to show the match? That's bullshit. I'm not watching this show to see girls get lost on a ship.
I'd rather they waste their time with the upcoming Soviet fight than against the Italians.
Second half of the Pravda battle and a rest/mid-season upgrade episode right before the final battle. It also has the 5th OVA that stands out among the others in that they introduce one of the loaders of the Pravda KV-2 crew.

It might be that we're seeing a growth in sales in later volumes because this one may be the first volume that isn't supply constrained in the first week.

Volume 6 sales might be even better, given that Actas took three months just to do those last two episodes.

Then it makes some sense as to why the sales are so high, those were damn good episodes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well...thats a bit extreme

Perhaps, but I have a hard time with P3 and I get tons of flack from my JRPG bros for it.

And honestly I can't quite put my finger on exactly why. There are certain things I can easy point to, but I've put up with worse for other games so that becomes moot.

Mature

Episode three is the biggest homage to Evangelion I've seen in anime since RahXePhon. I bet he'd like that too.
Are you referring to KareKano or Re:Cutie Honey?

Thank you for the response! My favorites are:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Serial Experiments: Lain
Ghost in the Shell (1 & 2)
Akira

I like shows/movies that are fairly serious in tone, along with being thought provoking.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Shin Sekai Yori
Mobile Police Patlabor: The Movie
Mobile Police Patlabor 2: The Movie
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Memories
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise

cnet128

Banned
People failing at finishing Persona 3? NAKAMA!

I'm in the middle of that game myself (no, I haven't got as far as Aegis yet). I enjoy it, but damn is that game looooong. I keep getting distracted by other games...and light novels...and anime...so I never find enough time to actually play it. I'm pretty sure my new Precure addiction isn't doing anything to help that, either.

Speaking of which,

Futari wa Precure 35

Today Nagisa got asked out on a date by some guy. I thought he had good taste, but then he
abandoned all interest in her after catching a glimpse of Cure Black and falling in love at first sight
. Silly Hasekura, don't you know Nagisa is much cuter when she's not transformed? You totally deserved that rejection.

/XX/

The show spirals away from itself not just because of budget/director issues but because it makes no attempt to resolve anything. A non-ending is okay - lord knows we've had enough of those in anime - but leaving off in the middle of a story arc as if the show isn't ending is immensely frustrating. At least most shoujo adaptations of unfinished manga give the audience some kind of made-up ending or just adapt up to the end of an arc.
Well, on this case the "director issues" are why there are no attempts to resolve anything! Reticence from Ms. Suda to accept the story progression and original ending Hideaki Anno had prepared made for a spiteful non-conclusive... thing, instead.

I remember when people tried to get me to watch the YuruYuri JAV.
Come on, you were practically asking for it... ;-)

In the end, even if it was an usual TMA production (as many cover images posted here recently) we should be grateful Goro respected the 'YuruYuris' and didn't do anybody in that one.

Nakamura shows are really notorious for having really short marketing cycles. Remember the Tsuritama garbage before they revealed it? :(
The series definitely went under the radar! Various images of undisclosed production material related to Mr. Nakamura's new work in a website... and next thing I know is KURICORDER QUARTET playing live cool music from the series at that noitaminA conference! The rest is history... sweet, refreshingly sweet history.

O man Harpy parroting 4chan was amazing :D I'm curious what the original text said, wonder if the show just found memes from 2ch
Yeah, it was slang from 2ch... and the original text is in the speech bubbles. Although sometimes fair equivalents, some substitutes alter the perception we can have of the translated expression based on their different origins. Some on that episode were more text-speak than 'memes', anyway (like in 'orz', 'wktk' or 'ktkr'... not in 'nurupo', 'jienotsu' or 'warosu'). I appreciate such extensive work in searching for the better localized fit, though.

Yeah, I'm just poking fun at Shaft because of its reputation and because the Negima movie was (apparently) not very good and seemingly rushed. If Kizu is the last entry in the series, do you think the movie will start airing in Japan after the TV series is over? I think one of the anime charts I read said the new "second season" is two cours, so that would mean at least Winter 2014, right?
Yep, and Zenmonogatari was confirmed as two 'cour' by the NISIO Tsūshin (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42576474).

Don't worry, 2014 isn't that far away, and with such production companies backing this movie it is going to come to fruition sooner or later. Now, think on the kind of limbo a project without sponsors for nearly a decade as is Yasuomi Umetsu's KISS & CRY keeps suffering... comparing both should probably serve to make you feel somewhat better. :'-)

Can anyone think of any other examples of cloned animation? For some reason there's something in my head about Anno reusing animation from Nadia in Evangelion, but the only reference I can find to something similar is him reusing key animation from Macross in Otaku no Video as suggested here.
One I was thinking about recently is the animation on the "psycho-graph" ('PSYCHIC ESSENCE THRESHOLD SIGNAL') MAGI display readings for Neon Genesis Evangelion being straight up lifted from 'DATA NO.6', music video by the group FENCE OF DEFENSE and directed by Hiroyuki Yamaga... which was inspiration for Mr. Anno's opening for NGE, according to Mr. Yamaga himself:

YAMAGA: If you leave out HONNEAMISE, the productions that really are my own work would be GUNBUSTER and OTAKU NO VIDEO. That, plus a music video for a rock band...

M: For Fence of Defence?

YAMAGA: Right.

M: What was the song?

YAMAGA: I can't remember the title...['Data No. 6'?] but I may have it around here someplace...[LOOKS UNSUCCESSFULLY]

M: What of your own personality or style were you able to put into the music video?

YAMAGA: It was my directing style, 100%. I didn't much care for the music itself, though.

M: What was the concept for the video?

YAMAGA: Hmm, that's a tough one...I'm not sure how to describe it. But simply put, you know the opening of EVANGELION? If you take out the characters, the video was quite similar...Anno used it as a considerable reference in designing the EVA opening.
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/16352/MANGA-NGE-Is-volume-9-in-stores-yet/#16352

As Mr. Reg-chan would say: "Anno sure is a hack!"

I thought it was kind of interesting to find this stuff out anyway. Thanks for your information as always /XX/. :)
At your service! :)

I like how Nafe is like a hundred pages behind yet she (he?) still reads every post and responds to the stuff that interests her (him?).
Really! I find it very a commendable effort. You can do it, Nafe!

People failing at finishing Persona 3? NAKAMA!

I'm in the middle of that game myself (no, I haven't got as far as Aegis yet). I enjoy it, but damn is that game looooong. I keep getting distracted by other games...and light novels...and anime...so I never find enough time to actually play it. I'm pretty sure my new Precure addiction isn't doing anything to help that, either.

Speaking of which,

Futari wa Precure 35

Today Nagisa got asked out on a date by some guy. I thought he had good taste, but then he
abandoned all interest in her after catching a glimpse of Cure Black and falling in love at first sight
. Silly Hasekura, don't you know Nagisa is much cuter when she's not transformed? You totally deserved that rejection.

Just let SDBurton enjoy his fuwafuwa time in girl land. (need to finish P4G soon anyway).

Anyway, well it's not like he really wanted Nagisa anyway. There's still FujiP and Honoka to back her up there.

Jex

This looks about right. Though I still have Diebuster, Gunbuster and Nadia on the backburn.

Nadia is somewhat understandable, considering it's length (with or without the Island Arc) but I urge you to watch the Buster OVA's as they are relatively short.

Syrinx

Just let SDBurton enjoy his fuwafuwa time in girl land. (need to finish P4G soon anyway).

Anyway, well it's not like he really wanted Nagisa anyway. There's still FujiP and Honoka to back her up there.
I just got around to finishing that the other day. Now I still have a ton if handheld RPGs to play. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Atelier Totori Plus, Fire Emblem: Awakening, etc. And this doesn't count all of the old CRPGs I need to play.

Ezalc

Perhaps, but I have a hard time with P3 and I get tons of flack from my JRPG bros for it.

And honestly I can't quite put my finger on exactly why. There are certain things I can easy point to, but I've put up with worse for other games so that becomes moot.

I remember one of the early mid bosses caused me to quit the game for like a week. Fuck their resistances and shit that early on. The game is fun though, best girl is Mitsuru don't listen to the Aegis fans, this is coming from a man who loves blondes with blue eyes.

Rayearth

Neo Member
I'd rather they waste their time with the upcoming Soviet fight than against the Italians.

I'm actually looking forward more toward the Anchovy OVA than the 2014 movie if only because it may be the only battle in the show in which the forces are pretty even (maybe tilting in favor of Oarai). It's hard to play up those stupid two-man Italian machinegun "tanks" as anything actually dangerous, and Oarai might actually lose their plot armor/evasion for the match.

I just got around to finishing that the other day. Now I still have a ton if handheld RPGs to play. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Atelier Totori Plus, Fire Emblem: Awakening, etc. And this doesn't count all of the old CRPGs I need to play.

RPG backlogs are just the worst. FE:A's time suckery ended up sucking out my time from Etrian Odyssey IV, which I only put about 20 hours into it.

RurouniZel

I remember one of the early mid bosses caused me to quit the game for like a week. Fuck their resistances and shit that early on. The game is fun though, best girl is Mitsuru don't listen to the Aegis fans, this is coming from a man who loves blondes with blue eyes.

I like Yukari myself, but yeah there are a lot of little gameplay things that I just don't like much for whatever reason. :/. Like, they're okay individually but not all at the same time if that makes any sense?

I'm actually looking forward more toward the Anchovy OVA than the 2014 movie if only because it may be the only battle in the show in which the forces are pretty even (maybe tilting in favor of Oarai). It's hard to play up those stupid two-man Italian machinegun "tanks" as anything actually dangerous, and Oarai might actually lose their plot armor/evasion for the match.

Oh I'd definitely like to see it, but in terms of the tv run of the show, I think it was best that they skipped it. The way they made it out to be made their attitude at the beginning of the Pravada match make sense.

Syrinx

I like Yukari myself, but yeah there are a lot of little gameplay things that I just don't like much for whatever reason. :/. Like, they're okay individually but not all at the same time if that makes any sense?
Dungeon crawling can get pretty tedious in that game. And the battle system is competent, but not great. The star of that game (and Persons 4, though I liked the gameplay better in that game) is the interactions and relationship building with the other characters. The tie-in with the Persona fusing makesit very rewarding too.

The only face in anime I can recognize is the Aniplex guy, but thats because of livestreams and hes quite memorable.

I dont think Ive seen faces of any anime journalists and what not, oh the manga lady that used to be at About.com, Deb is it?

Doesn't RyougaSaotome write for Japanator? You know, when he's not busy living the anime/LN life.

Yeah, you usually never see their faces. And most of the news is basically just translations from Japanese media, save for the few times they report on shows getting picked up by western distributors.

RurouniZel

Dungeon crawling can get pretty tedious in that game. And the battle system is competent, but not great. The star of that game (and Persons 4, though I liked the gameplay better in that game) is the interactions and relationship building with the other characters. The tie-in with the Persona fusing makesit very rewarding too.

And there's also the personas. I often have a hard time understanding what they excel at because all of the spells/abilities have weird names.

Kurita

I don't really know what you can do outside of translating stuff if you're not writing for a Japanese website/magazine tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom