• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Crunchyroll got DD Fist of the North Star
4dc0b7ac3f1a68607761df243340b1f31370367800_full.jpg

You wa shock!!!

Also, apparently nobody likes Mahoromatic. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's because anime journalists make game journalists look like actual journalists.

The medium that anime journalists cover will never be successful enough to be riddled with bribery and anticonsumer apologism, so we'll never be able to see how journalists would operate under similar circumstances.
spoiler alert: exactly the same

Mr.Jeff

And honestly I can't quite put my finger on exactly why. There are certain things I can easy point to, but I've put up with worse for other games so that becomes moot.
It's the horrific dorm music isn't it? Hearing that over and over again is just utterly soul destroying.

That's because anime journalists make game journalists look like actual journalists.
That is ice cold but ultimately true. A good test of this is to read the synopsis of any ANN review on their front page and see how awful it is every time.

I don't really know what you can do outside of translating stuff if you're not writing for a Japanese website/magazine tbh

I know it would be hard, especially if the person isn't in Japan. I'm just saying it's no surprise no anime journalist are recognized like game journalists when it's mostly just regurgitating info from a Japanese source.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
GAINAX ratingz

Evangelion
Gurren-Lagann
Gunbuster
End of Evangelion
Re: Cutie Honey
FLCL
-------------------line of dislike---------------------
Diebuster
Shikabane Hime
Dantalian no Shoka
Medaka Box
Panty & Stocking
Rebuild

B-But Q was the best rebuild film!

image.php

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Saying "I don't like Panty & Stocking" is basically the equivalent of saying "I hate to laugh and also I kick puppies for fun".

Truth.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GAINAX ratingz

Evangelion
Gurren-Lagann
Gunbuster
End of Evangelion
Re: Cutie Honey
FLCL
-------------------line of dislike---------------------
Diebuster
Shikabane Hime
Dantalian no Shoka
Medaka Box
Panty & Stocking
Rebuild

http://asset3.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=138657&dateline=1369941951
Still disappointed at the lack of Hanamaru Yochien in any of these lists.

Further proof, if proof were needed, that people should stop being too serious about Japanese cartoons: Taking anime too seriously (Japan Times).

So yes, a popular art having so transformational an effect on individuals and society must be studied. But in Condry’s study the nonacademic reader is likely to soon lose interest. The jargon-heavy prose, with a parenthesized citation of some previous study punctuating nearly every sentence, is demanding without being rewarding.

“What I find most provocative about the notion of moe,” he writes, “is the assertion of the value of an internalized consumption.” Moe is provocative all right, but “internalized consumption” doesn’t come close to capturing it, and you put down the book suspecting you could learn a lot more watching a single anime film than you could studying a whole library of books about an art form that, after all, simply was not meant to bear such ponderous intellectual weight.

Not a biased review at all. lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's the horrific dorm music isn't it? Hearing that over and over again is just utterly soul destroying.

It's an interesting point about the music. At a basic level I do really like the music, but it's not the sort of music that works well for me when constantly repeated. And this is an RPG, music is be frequently looped and repeated.

Detective Conan 207:
"It's okay, I have an alibi! I was on the other side of town plotting a different murder!"

That was a pretty enjoyable episode. I think some of these unique AO cases can be pretty fun, even if it's not too hard to figure out what's really going on. I appreciated how it tried to something different, and the way the truth was revealed. Kogorou, despite having some idiotic moments early on, also got to show some intelligence in this story at a few points. I'd prefer for TMS to do more stuff like this and less episodes involving jumping on moving buses.

BluWacky

Also, apparently nobody likes Mahoromatic. :(

I would venture a guess that most people in the thread haven't seen Mahoromatic. It's "of its time" - there have been so many maid/magical girlfriend shows since that it's kind of lost any notability.

This is another moment where I feel old; I can't believe it's been ten years since Mahoromatic TV ended...

Necrovex

Revolutionary Girl Utena 6

Utena_zpsf4b0ac20.png

That makes two of us.

What's wrong with this school?! Horses and a runaway kanagroo. This school needs to be shut down and be reevaluated.

If there is a Neogaf equivalent in the Utena universe, someone probably made a thread involving Nanami and Tsuwabuki.

Anyway, this was a really fun episode. The plot wasn't advanced at all, but it developed more of Nanami's character. I have a semi-like/hate relationship with her.

I also hope it doesn't take another five days for me to watch the next episode. This inconsistent (and incompetent) scheduling for my second part-time job really screws me over.

You can like Mahoromatic for the fact that it was one of the last cell-produced anime.

The show is (from a visual point of view) still watchable unlike many other anime from 2001/2002.

Dead

well not really...yet
I would venture a guess that most people in the thread haven't seen Mahoromatic. It's "of its time" - there have been so many maid/magical girlfriend shows since that it's kind of lost any notability.

This is another moment where I feel old; I can't believe it's been ten years since Mahoromatic TV ended...
Its the least bad of the of the bottom of the barrel gainax shows. I wouldn't even call it outright bad actually, at least the first season, just not in the same ballpark as the classic gainax shows.

Midonin

Yuyushiki 09

I, too, believe in the power of lucky boobs. Also glad that Aikawa's group got more screentime. Fumi's my favorite of the three, though I think that's mostly because she has a newbie voice actress, thereby making me pay more attention to her. I don't think the Data Processing Club can support more than the three members it already has anyway.

Strike Witches 01

About time!

Strike Witches 01

*Links may be NSFW
So, do they actually explain why their school uniforms are School swimsuits + a shirt? And why no-one is wearing trousers? Not that I'm complaining or anything mind you!
A satisfactory amount of butts and :SDBurton.
There was also :chet overal one word to describe this is lewd butt it's also cute. Look who's talking.

Because Humikane loves his butts, that's why he made a whole franchise dedicated to it. Bless him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, it was in second place in mine!

(Admittedly it was also third from last.)
:(

Everyone should watch it.
Indeed!

I always love that silly reaction gif. lol

Everyone probably thinks that it's just a lolifap show.
Well, a teacher does hook up with a student and then fly her away to America. How did he get away with that? lol

Metrotab

Banned
That's some 90s nostalgia for sure.

Majestic Prince - 9

Finally, a bit of plot development I can get behind. Looks like there's also a little love triangle complex developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom