• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

My Aikatsu watching has reached episode 33 (aka all of them), and I'm really enjoying the series so far, even more than I said I was before. The stories are simple but compelling, and a lot of that hinges on the characters. I really liked the way episode 31 handled its reveal. It was never outright said that
Ichigo's mom was Miya
, but it was implied with enough subtlety for its target audience, that it made for a really heartwarming family bonding episode.

I can't wait to see what Kaede brings to the show. A returnee from America who focuses on stage magic? I'm looking forward to what tri- illusions she pulls out of her hat and brings to Ichigo's circle of friends.

I've thought of how one might teach anime, or any television, in a college setting. The real problem is the semester system pretty much makes it impossible. Which is why, I presume, it's much easier to teach the Utena movie than to teach the entire Utena TV series.

It's called a course in animation.

Ultimadrago

K-On! 1-3

rmeui4frj94u65sdy.png

You could have fooled me.

These consecutive episodes are not quite good (same as I remembered them) with the guitar purchasing, episode two, as the worst of them. The introductions that span them are all standard, but the out-of-focus passing of the remaining club members in Yui's initial introduction is something I've found neat simply for the touch. The occasional cute antics between the members are where I left them I guess, with Ritsu being the most entertaining of them, but the overall tone stales between the three episodes.

Mouryou no Hako 9

dundundunnnxjswx.png
turtlee4snc.png

It's true, Seki. You are a turtle.

It's time I return to that mystery head-losing mystery. It has been a while, so I covered my tracks a bit before watching this episode. Continuing from where we left off, more researchers on the case pick new details from Yoriko's lonely and unfortunate upbringing while Eno...well, continues to be a rather odd guy. Perhaps less "odd", he is apologetically straight-forward and brief (while having quite the intelligence).

The
break-in
especially exercised this trait of his with a musical score to match. After a glimpse of the out-of-luck mother's event, she shares that her immediate family was good-for-nothing just like her own daughter's!

This is coming off a bit strong as a summary, but Eno's conversation with Yoriko's mother is the highlight of the episode and contradictory to his own style of speech at times, it's simple. Afterwards, there's a scene shared between Kiba and that lady from before. My next dip into the story will not be nearly the length of the passing one, hopefully. The direction and characters are still solid as ever. The ending was not a bad poor either.

uhohm0xfd.png

Oh no! I always lose what limited ground I have left when he does!

Though near the ending, I was pondering on whether the literature publication order offered to Seki from Kyougokudogogurtdoudotodou putting his warped order of events in order had an alternate purpose such as describing Seki displaying disorderly direction during the case and or simply some inexperience in writing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've thought of how one might teach anime, or any television, in a college setting. The real problem is the semester system pretty much makes it impossible. Which is why, I presume, it's much easier to teach the Utena movie than to teach the entire Utena TV series.

We watched a lot of stuff in my Visual Arts: Anime class.

Grave of the Fireflies, Tekkonkinkreet, Angel's Egg, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Mind Game, Tale of Genji, Sword of the Stranger, Pale Cocoon, Cat Soup, and Voices of a Distant Star, among others. Some of them in class, some of them for homework.

K-On! 1-3

These consecutive episodes are not quite good (same as I remembered them) with the guitar purchasing, episode two, as the worst of them. The introductions that span them are all standard, but the out-of-focus passing of the remaining club members in Yui's initial introduction is something I've found neat simply for the touch. The occasional cute antics between the members are where I left them I guess, with Ritsu being the most entertaining of them, but the overall tone stales between the three episodes.

If I told you that I didn't think much of those three episodes when I started the show, would you believe me? Episode 4 is when I started falling in love with the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Grave of the Fireflies, Tekkonkinkreet, Angel's Egg, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Mind Game, Tale of Genji, Sword of the Stranger, Pale Cocoon, Cat Soup, and Voices of a Distant Star, among others. Some of them in class, some of them for homework.

Did you watch any TV series though? Movies are much easier to teach when you only have a class that lasts anywhere from 10-14 weeks.

To teach what makes good animation.
I'm talking about reading anime rather than producing anime though.

Jojo's 1993 Adventure OVA 2

N'Dour was a man until the end. One of those characters who shown to be a warrior with pride even to his grave, as seen in other Jojo parts. Gotta love me some tactical fightan!

Ultimadrago

That sounds like a largely solid selection (Graveyard of the Fireflies, Perfect Blue, Sword of the Stranger, Princess Mononoke) including what I've heard of some of them (Galactic Railroad, Angel's Egg, Cat Soup). I could imagine you had some fun in there!

cnet128

Banned
But first in your heart, right?!

I'm sorry, firehawk. I can't bring myself to downrank Gurren Lagann, even for the PandaNeko Dance.

"I've been Precure free for 3 years 7 months and 2 days."

*group applause*

That doesn't sound healthy.

Yuyushiki 9

I think the only correct pairing in this series is Yui x Everyone. Her little impromptu "date" with Aikawa this episode was rather sweet.

Also, Mom-Sensei continues to be best teacher ever.

However, watching this show is giving me Nagisa withdrawal symptoms. Back to Precure I think.

Mr.Jeff

I couldn't tell you, I remember seeing it in a drawthread on /a/. Nanoha's expression along with the whiteboard are absolutely perfect though.
I do love that image. Probably my second favourite Nanoha related image. It's the little details on the blackboard that make it such as "Male = Shoot to kill".

Haly

Yeah it was fun, except the instructor insisted on analyzing everything through Campbell's monomyth.

When she wanted me to monomyth Voices of a Distant Star I was like "fuck that".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only FLCL, but not the entire thing.
Right.

I look at it this way. Say you were someone who wanted to teach Evangelion and in this ideal world, all versions of Eva were licensed and readily available. It'd be so easy to run to End of Evangelion or, god forbid, the Rebuild films, because it's just easier to fit that into the context of a course than a 26 episode series.

Unless you built an entire course around teaching Evangelion - which I've seen done with certain novels - but I have no idea if deep-reading every single episode of Evangelion (or any series outside of The Wire, and even that has the dreaded season 5) is a worthwhile enterprise.

I'm sorry, firehawk. I can't bring myself to downrank Gurren Lagann, even for the PandaNeko Dance.
RIP in Peace, PandaNeko.

7Th

If you're just select episodes out of context, what's the point?

It would be a class about cinematography, direction, animation and script-writing; you know, the real meat of anime. After all, the medium won't be like literature until it moves beyond the superficial non-technical discourse.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, you mean like analyzing the stories of anime? Wouldn't that basically be like a film study class?
Basically, yes.

It would be a class about cinematography, direction, animation and script-writing; you know, the real meat of anime. After all, the medium won't be like literature until it moves beyond the superficial non-technical discourse.
Yeah, Liberal Arts degrees aren't completely about production though. Even the ones that focus on driving you toward an MFA track have some kind of "reading" course to teach what certain things mean in a certain context, so that you know how to use those tools to convey meaning.

wonzo

Banned
I don't understand why people use shots from that episode as a point of contention— like they're off-model shots or somtehing. Isn't it supposed to look cartoony like that for a fight or something?
Yes and they don't like it because they have bad taste. (which is p. self evident with caring about naruto/bleach in any capacity whatsoever)

Dear Flowers of Evil,

This is how you do rotoscoping.

Up yours,
The entire field of animation.
I didn't know they rotoscoped things in braille.

7Th

Yeah, Liberal Arts degrees aren't completely about production though. Even the ones that focus on driving you toward an MFA track have some kind of "reading" course to teach what certain things mean in a certain context, so that you know how to use those tools to convey meaning.

Isao Takahata said:
What counts the most it is not the real, nor even the relationship with the real; it is only the line and the way of drawing.

How can a single man be so wise?

cajunator

Banned
Golden Boy - 2

Dubs like these deserve an award. The voice actress really underlines the hypocrisy well in her character.

Thats Tiffany Grant. Used to hang out with her at the college anime club when she would visit as well as the anime convention she used to attend. Tiff is a great person. She was able to hang around because houston is only three hours away when she worked for ADV.
Actually tiffany was in the first episode, as the computer programming boss. The hot one with the skintight suit and the Koenig Competition Evolution.

I'm pretty sure that's Madoka, though the back of the head seems a bit off.

It is Madoka.

Haly

Right.

I look at it this way. Say you were someone who wanted to teach Evangelion and in this ideal world, all versions of Eva were licensed and readily available. It'd be so easy to run to End of Evangelion or, god forbid, the Rebuild films, because it's just easier to fit that into the context of a course than a 26 episode series.

Unless you built an entire course around teaching Evangelion - which I've seen done with certain novels - but I have no idea if deep-reading every single episode of Evangelion (or any series outside of The Wire, and even that has the dreaded season 5) is a worthwhile enterprise.
You could devote 3/4th of your course time to discussion and 1/4th to viewing, and then assign the other episodes as homework. So, let's say it's a MWF course with 2 hours for MW and 1 hour for F. The syllabus for teaching something like Kino no Tabi (which lends itself to discussion) would look like this:

M: Syllabus, introduction. Watch Ep 1.
Homework: Watch Ep 2 and 3, some writing.

W: Discussion of Ep 1, 2 and 3. Watch Ep 4
Homework: Watch Ep 5 and 6, some writing.

F: Discussion of Ep 4, 5 and 6.
Homework: Some writing.

M2: Discussion of Ep 4, 5 and 6, Watch Ep 7.
Homework: Watch Ep 8 and 9, some writing.

W2: Discussion of Ep 7, 8 and 9, Watch Ep 10.
Homework: Watch Ep 11 and 12, some writing.

F2: Discussion of 10, 11 and 12. Watch Ep 13.
Homework: Watch Ep 13, Some writing

M3: Discussion of Ep 13 and post mortem of series, watch Ep 1 of next series.

And so on and so forth. Obviously, this would be a very demanding schedule to stick to and in practice I think two episodes every class is probably more reasonable than three. Still, you could do two or three 13 episode series like this over the course of a semester, as well as some time to dedicate to a standalone paper. I don't think it's that bad, however, because watching anime is ludicrously easy compared to reading "literary fiction".

cajunator

Banned
You could devote 3/4th of your course time to discussion and 1/4th to viewing, and then assign the other episodes as homework. So, let's say it's a MWF course with 2 hours for MW and 1 hour for F. The syllabus for teaching something like Kino no Tabi (which lends itself to discussion) would look like this:

And so on and so forth. Obviously, this would be a very demanding schedule to skip with and in practice I think 2 episodes every class is probably more reasonable than 3. Still, you could do 2-3 13 episode series like this over the course of a semester, as well as some time to dedicate to a standalone paper.

A class to discuss Kino's journey? One of favoritest of favorites in the whole wide world? What a dream course!

BluWacky

The MA I was considering doing offers a module on Japanese Television Since 1953 - the course summary is here. I would assume that most of the required viewing is done outside the lecture theatre, and it does stretch over two terms, but it doesn't seem to be impossible to teach using long-form media.

I don't know what the expectation is in terms of undergraduate teaching in American colleges, but to watch a single arc of Utena would take about 5 hours. Is it unrealistic to expect someone to spend 5 hours a week on preparing for a class? I mean, when I was an undergraduate, I took two papers a term and only had 1 hour's contact time for each - the rest of the time I was supposed to be reading or writing essays for those classes. Do you take many more courses per term as an American college student?

I honestly think 7th is right - isolated episodes and scenes (and movies) are by far the best way to teach someone about anime, as opposed to media in general. Much of the interesting analysis posted here and elsewhere is borne out of a general understanding of how to critique cinema, but if you're actually looking to teach anime in particular I think one should have at least a rudimentary understanding of what you're actually looking at rather than treating it as a film that happens to be a cartoon, if you get what I'm saying.

Stulaw

K-on! The Movie

Despite watching both seasons years ago, and reading the entire manga, getting all the songs and pretty much being a massive fan of the series, for some reason I never watched the film, why? I have no idea, and now that I've watched it, I'm filled with love and excitedment yet again like all that time ago.

So as you can probably already tell, I really loved the film, it covers all the parts after season 2 ended,
right up to the original 4's graduation
which wasn't put in the manga, but I'll count it as canon, since the manga covers more afterwards.
Warning, there may be spoilers
So most of the film is in Japan, where the girls are planning a present for Azusa for putting up with them for the past 2 years and on the way, they here that other clubs are going on graduation trips to other countries the world, so through a random act, Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Mugi, all choose a place they want to go to, and by chance, they choose to go to London (UK) and decide to bring Azusa with them. The parts in Japan tended to be hilarious with Yui trying to cheat to get her choice, and also not knowing that Europe is a continent,. The film was very Yui orientated, with there being more of her, and Azusa than anyone else (not that I'm complaining). Yui's ditsiness is where a lot of the comedy comes from, as well as some hilarity with Ritsu.

Yui's punishment had me cracking up.

I was actually impressed with how they did London, I'm from London, and although almost all the English people there tended to have "Landan" accents, I'm glad they did that rather than have Japanese people try to speak English. It also showed how hard it can be to go to a country and not really know much of the language, since even Mugi, who is the most fluent in English out of the girls struggled when people talked faster than she could keep up. I also liked that they even covered the fact that tourists can get confused when it comes down to getting to the right hotel because of the many franchises and chains around the city (in their case it was Hotel Ibis). They even went to a Sushi restaurant, and through confusion, and a bit of Ritsu saying yes to everything, they ended up playing there. They also ended up playing another time right at the end of their trip in a Japanese culture festival, which was pretty neat.

And the last third of the film was back in Japan, where the girls planned out Azusa's present and did their last performance before graduating. It was all a lovely and heart-warming part, and it really did make me feel like I'd never see them play together again :'(. The music was great as always, and there were a couple of songs that I hadn't heard before, including the one in the credits called Singing, which the gif below is from.

konsingingkonmovieendin.gif

Anyway, I'd just like to reiterate that I love this film, and it made me want to watch the entire series all over again, which I will be doing after my exams are over :).

Edit: Damn, a whole page went over while I wrote this.

Closest I ever got to anime in college was during my Shakespeare class. The professor would show us various international film adaptions of Shakespeare's works, and she asked the class if we'd like to watch Romeo X Juliet.
Fuck majority votes!

K-on! The Movie

Despite watching both seasons years ago, and reading the entire manga, getting all the songs and pretty much being a massive fan of the series, for some reason I never watched the film, why? I have no idea, and now that I've watched it, I'm filled with love and excitedment yet again like all that time ago.

So as you can probably already tell, I really loved the film, it covers all the parts after season 2 ended,
right up to the original 4's graduation
which wasn't put in the manga, but I'll count it as canon, since the manga covers more afterwards.
Warning, there may be spoilers
So most of the film is in Japan, where the girls are planning a present for Azusa for putting up with them for the past 2 years and on the way, they here that other clubs are going on graduation trips to other countries the world, so through a random act, Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Mugi, all choose a place they want to go to, and by chance, they choose to go to London (UK) and decide to bring Azusa with them. The parts in Japan tended to be hilarious with Yui trying to cheat to get her choice, and also not knowing that Europe is a continent,. The film was very Yui orientated, with there being more of her, and Azusa than anyone else (not that I'm complaining). Yui's ditsiness is where a lot of the comedy comes from, as well as some hilarity with Ritsu.

I was actually impressed with how they did London, I'm from London, and although almost all the English people there tended to have "Landan" accents, I'm glad they did that rather than have Japanese people try to speak English. It also showed how hard it can be to go to a country and not really know much of the language, since even Mugi, who is the most fluent in English out of the girls struggled when people talked faster than she could keep up. I also liked that they even covered the fact that tourists can get confused when it comes down to getting to the right hotel because of the many franchises and chains around the city (in their case it was Hotel Ibis). They even went to a Sushi restaurant, and through confusion, and a bit of Ritsu saying yes to everything, they ended up playing there. They also ended up playing another time right at the end of their trip in a Japanese culture festival, which was pretty neat.

And the last third of the film was back in Japan, where the girls planned out Azusa's present and did their last performance before graduating. It was all a lovely and heart-warming part, and it really did make me feel like I'd never see them play together again :'(. The music was great as always, and there were a couple of songs that I hadn't heard before, including the one in the credits called Singing, which the gif below is from.

konsingingkonmovieendin.gif

Anyway, I'd just like to reiterate that I love this film, and it made me want to watch the entire series all over again, which I will be doing after my exams are over :).

Edit: Damn, a whole page went over while I wrote this.

I completely agree with you. The movie is fantastic and a great way to send off the series.
I loved those parts in London.

Haly

Wow, that gif actually makes K-ON look good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How can a single man be so wise?
What would Okada say? :p

And so on and so forth. Obviously, this would be a very demanding schedule to stick to and in practice I think two episodes every class is probably more reasonable than three. Still, you could do two or three 13 episode series like this over the course of a semester, as well as some time to dedicate to a standalone paper. I don't think it's that bad, however, because watching anime is ludicrously easy compared to reading "literary fiction".

The MA I was considering doing offers a module on Japanese Television Since 1953 - the course summary is here. I would assume that most of the required viewing is done outside the lecture theatre, and it does stretch over two terms, but it doesn't seem to be impossible to teach using long-form media.

I don't know what the expectation is in terms of undergraduate teaching in American colleges, but to watch a single arc of Utena would take about 5 hours. Is it unrealistic to expect someone to spend 5 hours a week on preparing for a class? I mean, when I was an undergraduate, I took two papers a term and only had 1 hour's contact time for each - the rest of the time I was supposed to be reading or writing essays for those classes. Do you take many more courses per term as an American college student?

Honestly, I don't expect that much of undergrads these days. lol
I suppose one way to make people drop out of a course about anime is to make it workload heavy and find ways to fail people who think that all they need to do is watch cartoons.

I guess I also am mindful that most students are also taking 4 other courses with similar workloads, so you can only expect so much.

I honestly think 7th is right - isolated episodes and scenes (and movies) are by far the best way to teach someone about anime, as opposed to media in general. Much of the interesting analysis posted here and elsewhere is borne out of a general understanding of how to critique cinema, but if you're actually looking to teach anime in particular I think one should have at least a rudimentary understanding of what you're actually looking at rather than treating it as a film that happens to be a cartoon, if you get what I'm saying.
Well, I look at it this way. It's fine to teach the various meters of poetry, but at some point you'll want to read a poem to see what iambic tetrameter actually feels like. Of course, it depends on what the aim of the course is and how it's situated within the context of a major, if at all.

If it's a first year course and the only media course at your university (like the one I'm at), trying to get too technical is wasting everyone's time since you'd be better off telling people who are really interested to transfer to another school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom