• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

I've really got to watch Hyouka at some point

You should! It's a lovely show. In fact, KuwabaraTheMan just recently finished it and gave his impressions on the show:
My final verdict is that Hyouka was a fantastic show and absolutely deserves every accolade which it has received. I loved the characters (especially Mayaka) and the situations they wound up in, and of course nothing more even needs to be said about the production values. I'm sad that I don't have any further episodes to watch, but I also feel satisfied with how the show was as a whole.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit 98 (eng dub)
tumblr_mnw89wB1EB1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty amazing episode, Misaki Tokura proved why shes the best female cardfight player
Goddess of the Sun, Amaterasu combined with CEO Amaterasu is such a great combo
and then Kamui Katsuragi exhibiting great skills showcasing why he is my favorite cardfighter for Team Quadrifolio.
Beating Tetsu after all these episodes, yes!
. It was fun and so many cards, and an actual canon Aichi Kamui moment.

-----
Also got more anime, finally have another complete series in my collection, thanks to Sentai for bringing out every episode of Tegami Bachi.

Jintor

You should! It's a lovely show. In fact, KuwabaraTheMan just recently finished it and gave his impressions on the show:

I feel like I need to be in the mood for something relaxing though and I already have too many of those shows on backlog. I'll bump it up the queue though after I get to 12 episodes of Polar Bear.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 85: The Decree for the Moving of the Capital

~ What will be left after all the "dangerous people" were disposed of? ~

Peacetime again in the Neue Reich, and peacetime means bureaucratic power struggles like always. These episodes are just as tense as the wartime battles, but now it's chess of the minds and positions instead of fleet movements and engagements. I'm surprised how beautifully Rubinsky got Lang into a tancer position, meanwhile holding up the 'mirror' that Lang is the one in charge of the business relationship.
I do think the woman Rubinsky hangs out with is smarter than him. There's just this feeling I have about her that she's more than meets the eye.
Truniht's shamelessness truly is beyond all borders. The man does not give a single fuck.
Seeing Reinhard alone, working endlessly to fulfill some vague promise for Annerose, is quite the tragic image. The most powerful man in the galaxy, but powerless there where it seems to matter the most.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
[Dokidoki! Precure]

I don't know why people are so adamant on Regina being Ace. That character is obviously the Trump Kingdom Princess.

I just really have a feeling
that she will be. Like Kirbyguy said earlier, I can totally see this getting the Fresh treatment as Regina seems like she was designed to become that heel turn type of villain.

=============================

Crime Edge - 05

Okay, scratch what I said earlier. Vice President is without a doubt the best girl in this show. She has it all~!

Here's hoping we get to see more of her lewd side later.

OceanBlue

I feel like I need to be in the mood for something relaxing though and I already have too many of those shows on backlog. I'll bump it up the queue though after I get to 12 episodes of Polar Bear.

Mmm, just to be clear, Hyouka isn't exactly iyashikei like Aria, YKK, or K-On. As long as you're going to watch it, I guess when you watch it isn't a big deal, lol.

Now that I think about it, does Mushishi count as an iyashikei series? To me it does, but I'm still not completely clear on what counts as iyashikei.

Ultimadrago

Cat Soup OVA

I was inspired to watch this due to a previous avatar of Dresden's of a curious cat. I'm pleased to say it was pleasantly peculiar. Its character design is simple and quite different (I believe it has a manga, so there's a source to it all). The beings themselves speak a type of "Animalese" similar to the denizens of Animal Crossing games only at times directing the audience through single-image or text speech bubbles. This assisted with some positively offbeat creature designs and locations kept me watching for what was next.

The personality of the young leading cat is rather unapologetic, which I liked. The tone and visual design of the work is much the same way with innocent lives and limb expended with no extra second spared for remorse. Even the end credits stayed consistent with the events leading up to the end.

It's too short to go on telling too much, but Cat Soup is not something I would've predicted watching for the week.

As far as recommendation go: It's certainly worth watching, especially if you're looking for a bit of "Weird." to walk away with. I specifically want to call out DakkuMauji to watch this. I think it's right up his alley (and only thirty minutes) because of "cats" and "strange" and "strange cats".

Now that I think about it, does Mushishi count as an iyashikei series? To me it does, but I'm still not completely clear on what counts as iyashikei.

Considering how dark and bleak some of the Mushishi stories get, I wouldn't count it as an iyashikei/healing anime. For me, a healing anime would be something where you can plop in any episode and know you'll get a relaxing dose of fluffy optimism.

Tenumi

Banned
that she will be. Like Kirbyguy said earlier, I can totally see this getting the Fresh treatment as Regina seems like she was designed to become that heel turn type of villain.

The term everyone is looking for is 'face turn', if this was based off of the pro-wrestling usage of the terms

Gravijah

Cat Soup OVA

I was inspired to watch this due to a previous avatar of Dresden's of a curious cat. I'm pleased to say it was pleasantly peculiar. Its character design is simple and quite different (I believe it has a manga, so there's a source to it all). The beings themselves speak a type of "Animalese" similar to the denizens of Animal Crossing games only at times directing the audience through single-image or text speech bubbles. This assisted with some positively offbeat creature designs and locations kept me watching for what was next.

The personality of the young leading cat is rather unapologetic, which I liked. The tone and visual design of the work is much the same way with innocent lives and limb expended with no extra second spared for remorse. Even the end credits stayed consistent with the events leading up to the end.

It's too short to go on telling too much, but Cat Soup is not something I would've predicted watching for the week.

As far as recommendation go: It's certainly worth watching, especially if you're looking for a bit of "Weird." to walk away with. I specifically want to call out DakkuMauji to watch this. I think it's right up his alley (and only thirty minutes) because of "cats" and "strange" and "strange cats".

Excellent.

OceanBlue

Considering how dark and bleak some of the Mushishi stories get, I wouldn't count it as an iyashikei/healing anime. For me, a healing anime would be something where you can plop in any episode and know you'll get a relaxing dose of fluffy optimism.

I guess I'm just too eager to get away from the "slice of life" category because it just feels like such a loaded term at this point, lol. Also, it kinda felt like it had a similar pacing to YKK and Aria, so I guess I kinda stuck them all together.

Regarding Mushishi, I feel as if the show has positive things to say about relationships, nature, and humans in general despite some of the bleaker stories in the series. In regards to iyashikei, though, I agree that it probably doesn't fit.

Well Natsume fits to that description perfectly too. Best healing anime after Aria. Waiting for next season already.

I think it'll be both
Imo the twist should be :

Regina + baby = cure ace.
it would make more sense to me.
=============================

Crime Edge - 05

Okay, scratch what I said earlier. Vice President is without a doubt the best girl in this show. She has it all~!

Here's hoping we get to see more of her lewd side later.

I wonder how long you will say that.

OceanBlue

Well Natsume fits to that description perfectly. Best healing anime after Aria. . Waiting for next season already.

I heard Natsume was good as well, but it has so many seasons that I'm intimidated to start, lol. Can you give me a nice hook so I can push myself to watch it? :D

Mr.Jeff

Hyouka vs K-On!.

Both Kyo Ani works.

I've seen one of their shows before (Clannad/Afterstory) so I'm more interested in whichever one has more feels.

Help me AnimeGAF.

Personally I'd go with Hyouka but I wouldn't recommend it if you have low tolerance for sequences where nothing but talking happens. It gets a lot of detract for having glacial slow character development but I enjoyed the character interactions enough that this was never a problem.

K-On I'd never recommend since I personally can't get on with it. Mainly since the faces really weird me out and I don't like Yui especially. I can appreciate why others like it but urgh.

In terms of feels though, K-On probably wins out because it's meant to be all about that in the second season.

I will probably need to re-read this post tomorrow since I am up stupidly late again.

I heard Natsume was good as well, but it has so many seasons that I'm intimidated to start, lol. Can you give me a nice hook so I can push myself to watch it? :D

Well let's just say that it's one those rare series that will only get better with each season. It has also the best cat in anime:
tumblr_maoicvGt8a1qamhyd.jpg

Personally I'd go with Hyouka but I wouldn't recommend it if you have low tolerance for sequences where nothing but talking happens. It gets a lot of detract for having glacial slow character development but I enjoyed the character interactions enough that this was never a problem.

K-On I'd never recommend since I personally can't get on with it. Mainly since the faces really weird me out and I don't like Yui especially. I can appreciate why others like it but urgh.

In terms of feels though, K-On probably wins out because it's meant to be all about that in the second season.

I will probably need to re-read this post tomorrow since I am up stupidly late again.

I'm considering revising this and just alternating between each show each episode. That way I can get a taste of both and ultimately decide for myself if I want to focus on one or the other.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching four episodes for homework each class wouldn't be that high of a workload, though. Most literature classes I took would have a comparable or higher amount of reading assigned between classes. I think you could easily cover several full shows over the course of a semester with that type of pace.

I guess that's fair. I suppose the other thing to think about is logistics. At least with contemporary anime, you can get kids to buy CR memberships for a term. With normal TV, you are basically SOL and are limited to whatever's on Netflix or whereever... which might even change at any time.

1 Hyouka to 3 K-On!'s and 1 Kimi to Boku.

Hmm, I guess I can start K-On! then flip a coin or something for the other two (then watch the other one after).

Thanks for helping me decide.
I was wondering who suggested Kimi to Boku and saw that it was DTL. lol

I guess that's fair. I suppose the other thing to think about is logistics. At least with contemporary anime, you can get kids to buy CR memberships for a term. With normal TV, you are basically SOL and are limited to whatever's on Netflix or whereever... which might even change at any time.

Teaching anime can save the anime industry by causing them to buy overpriced DVDs!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
To be honest, I find anything that's heavily emotional tends to give me feelings of warmth. In fact I'm the kind of person that finds listening to Joy Division to be uplifting.

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure: 41

I like these character finales. It didn't feel like there was that much solo battles this season, at least compared to Heartcatch, so these are a nice change of pace.

Bonus image because Yayoi is adorable.

A friend of Yayoi is a friend of mine!

Did hanamaru youchien ever come out in the US?

No unfortunately it didnt.

Oh GOD yes!! <3 <3

Of course I knew you would like that XD

Hyouka vs K-On!.

Both Kyo Ani works.

I've seen one of their shows before (Clannad/Afterstory) so I'm more interested in whichever one has more feels.

Help me AnimeGAF.

Both of them!

Syrinx

I have Hyouka in my backlog. Will watch when I can. But I also have a ton of other shit, so I guess I'll get there when I get there.

I guess I'm just too eager to get away from the "slice of life" category because it just feels like such a loaded term at this point, lol. Also, it kinda felt like it had a similar pacing to YKK and Aria, so I guess I kinda stuck them all together.

Regarding Mushishi, I feel as if the show has positive things to say about relationships, nature, and humans in general despite some of the bleaker stories in the series. In regards to iyashikei, though, I agree that it probably doesn't fit.

I wouldn't call Mushishi "slice of life" either. That can be a very broad description, but I think the useful meaning for it should be a series focused on the ordinary lives of ordinary people. Mushishi, meanwhile, is focused on the extraordinary.

Instead of giving it a genre classification, I'd prefer to call it a series of short stories about humans and the supernatural and leave it at that.

Well Natsume fits to that description perfectly too. Best healing anime after Aria. Waiting for next season already.

Yeah, Natsume's Book of Friends is similar in concept to Mushishi, but it's much more light-hearted. It's something I'd be willing to call a healing anime, at least in its episodic stories - the multi-episode stories of the later seasons move away from that.

Cat Soup OVA

You got me at thirty minutes.

she'll be into babies o_O
She obviously have to grow up first , since they have 5 stones that allow miracles to occur , this shouldn't be too hard to do.

Well let's just say that it's one those rare series that will only get better with each season. It has also the best cat in anime:
tumblr_maoicvGt8a1qamhyd.jpg

How to great nyanko-sensei is ?

The answer :

He is ELEGANT !

Natsume_dvd_06.jpg

Slow down girl !

And even human girls are falling for him.

Best anime cat ..... that isn't a cat girl.

OceanBlue

I wouldn't call Mushishi "slice of life" either. That can be a very broad description, but I think the useful meaning for it should be a series focused on the ordinary lives of ordinary people. Mushishi, meanwhile, is focused on the extraordinary.

Instead of giving it a genre classification, I'd prefer to call it a series of short stories about humans and the supernatural and leave it at that.

Sounds good to me, lol. I don't necessarily agree with that definition of slice of life, but it doesn't really matter. A good summary is definitely much more useful.

Yeah, Natsume's Book of Friends is similar in concept to Mushishi, but it's much more light-hearted. It's something I'd be willing to call a healing anime, at least in its episodic stories - the multi-episode stories of the later seasons move away from that.

Is this another endorsement of the anime? Lol, I guess I should put it on my backlog.

Will watching Clannad make me cry just like Ano Hana did to me?

Maybe. I cried for both Clannad and After Story, but I cry at a lot of things. I also think I'm not as discerning or critical as others here (a lot of posts here make me think to myself, "I guess that is pretty ridiculous if you think about it..."). I can definitely imagine that a lot of people here found most of Clannad too melodramatic and ridiculous, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom