• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Seed HD Remaster BD Episode 40
tumblr_mnwbeoIRXJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I think he has to be my favorite of these Gundam pilots new gen, something about him. Anyway the OP is kind of catchy, somehow found myself looping it back at least four times. I like it. Plot stuff was emotional and rather intense but did give big things, continuously impressed with Lacus, its like everything around here goes swimmingly fine and just really great. The Eternal is amazing
Kira swooping in at just the right time made me smile, and what not
. I was hoping ep 41 events would never come to pass
I just dont want to see Natarle and the Dominator have to go against Murrae and the Archangel + Eternal, she was with us for so long and started to grow on me that it will be quite sad if she ends up losing or dying, maybe she can defect?

Will watching Clannad make me cry just like Ano Hana did to me?

I saw Clannad and it wasn't tear jerking at all to me. I didn't see After Story because the
harem was a little too much for me
in this anime. Also Sunohara was my favorite character and I was kinda mad that the show
ended and he didn't have one thing good happen to him. Even the soccer thing with his sister wasn't all that great either. He was such a funny and good character too.

Though I'm not very emotional so I don't cry mostly. I did get a little wet eyed when i was watching Angel Beats. Holy crap that show got to me.

survivor

Banned
^ scared of quoting you due to spoiler tags, but I do appreciate the reply.

No. the after story...YES
I guess it doesn't hurt to try the series then.

Maybe. I cried for both Clannad and After Story, but I cry at a lot of things. I also think I'm not as discerning or critical as others here (a lot of posts here make me think to myself, "I guess that is pretty ridiculous if you think about it..."). I can definitely imagine that a lot of people here found most of Clannad too melodramatic and ridiculous, lol.

I like melodrama so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hattori

Banned
I saw Clannad and it wasn't tear jerking at all to me. I didn't see After Story because the
harem was a little too much for me
in this anime. Also Sunohara was my favorite character and I was kinda mad that the show
ended and he didn't have one thing good happen to him. Even the soccer thing with his sister wasn't all that great either. He was such a funny and good character too.

Though I'm not very emotional so I don't cry mostly. I did get a little wet eyed when i was watching Angel Beats. Holy crap that show got to me.

I dont want to spoil anything but
After Story is Harem FREE,
you should give After Story a go

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I keep hearing about Clannad (because I'm a sentimental old sod) and have been meaning to give it an honest spin but damn I hate those character designs.

iwontletyou.jpg

ItsHappening.jpg

Oreimo 5

Ending: Better than the previous ones.

While it may have been only for a short time, the witnessing of the beginning of a yandere is always a time for celebration and joy. Thought she would've had feelings for Kyosuke instead of Kirino, but I don't really mind who the recipient is. So long as she continues downward on the path of righteousness, everything will be well.

For me, anyway.

OceanBlue

If you enjoy melodrama, you'll probably find something to enjoy in Clannad (and the other KyoAni Key VN adaptations, for that matter).

I wouldn't recommend Air, even if there is melodrama in it, lol. I liked Kanon 2006 though.

That reminds me. If you do decide to watch Clannad, watch the KyoAni TV series and not the movie. I don't think anyone will confuse the two now, but people were making that mistake when it came out.

Oreimo 5

Ending: Better than the previous ones.

While it may have been only for a short time, the witnessing of the beginning of a yandere is always a time for celebration and joy. Thought she would've had feelings for Kyosuke instead of Kirino, but I don't really mind who the recipient is. So long as she continues downward on the path of righteousness, everything will be well.

For me, anyway.

You had me right at yandere. I think I'm going to add Oriemo to my list even though I haven't seen all of season 1 yet. I gotta see this happen.

Tenumi

Banned
I will take any opportunity to recommend Clannad and Clannad After Story. Together they are my favorite all-time Anime series. Also, Nagisa was the first anime character that I really "fell in love" with (not literally of course).

I keep hearing about Clannad (because I'm a sentimental old sod) and have been meaning to give it an honest spin but damn I hate those character designs.

Clannad is very good in it's second season. Seriously, the After Story is beautiful for what it is.

The first season...not so much. Despite what I've said, it's not exactly bad, but there isn't really that much there except to set things up. There's a few great moments in there (as well as quite a bit of funny moments) but there's nothing really that amazing in there. The After Story on the other hand, is worth watching.

I'm pretty sure Save 'N Quit is watching the first season.

Wow, that's even better! I think I left exactly on episode 4 too since I remember leaving right after
her friend had the breakdown from the MC girl lying to her.
So I guess I left off on episode 4.

Clannad is a must watch if you like drama. I think it handles the comedy/serious mix very well. The character design might put some people off but I took it in stride.

Afterstory is even better.

cajunator

Banned
Teaching anime can save the anime industry by causing them to buy overpriced DVDs!

Anime dvds are definitely not overpriced. They are bargains.
now some blurays are a tad pricey..

Will watching Clannad make me cry just like Ano Hana did to me?

It will make you curl up in a ball of depression.
its really good though.

I kinda have a thing for drawing hair. Does that count as a fetish?

Certainly!

I wouldn't recommend Air, even if there is melodrama in it, lol. I liked Kanon 2006 though.

I didn't really like Air either. It quickly flew into unnecessary obtuseness. I did enjoy Kanon 2006 back when I watched it, though I've changed so much as an anime fan since then that I don't know if I still would now.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't recommend any of the KyoAni Key shows in general, but for someone who enjoys Ano Hana's melodrama, they're the closest equivalent.

Karneval Opus 9: Blue Rose
tumblr_mnwehw3WFK1qbxqfpo1_500.png

My favorite two bumbling characters in awhile. Absolutely hilarious how it all went down, especially red hair. Fairly good for an episode 9 of 13 and Tsukumo's performance was something special. I like how they gave Tsukumo many chances to succeed
And Tsukumo almost did but to run into Karoku, I chuckled

Sparrow's Hotel 9
tumblr_mnwf2t3lJQ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best episode yet. Though Id have to agree at least with my preferred ways for stuff, at least in Tsuritama Natsuki was seme, and in Daily Lives of High School Boys, Hidenori was seme, Otto Rocket was seme (twister uke), and in K Fushimi is Seme. Though at least quickly thinking of some actual yaoi manga, I can only think of one uke megane character (Kaeru no Prince-sama)

Jewelpet Kira Deco 28

JnSVmjU.jpg

I love these cartoony deformations.

One of the weaker episodes, but it still had great moments. Coal's struggle between depression and his desire to keep his job was hilarious and led to a lot of great off-model drawings like the one above. Rald's "mofu" sentimental ballad injected a satirical strain into an otherwise conventional ending, showing the show to be self-aware that it can't ask for that much melodramatic emotional investment over a character we've only barely known for one episode. It reminded me of all the terrible karaoke singers at the restaurant I was at last night, though it was more on pitch than most of them!

I realized at work today that all the rebuild movies have nothing to do with Gainax and that I had no way of rectifying this for 6 hours, it was painful.

Also, apparently nobody likes Mahoromatic. :(

I liked it but when I've got to compare it to the rest of Gainax's work of course it's gonna be low on the list. It's like having a gourmet burger among lots of Kobe beef and new york strip steak, suddenly the great burger just isn't a priority anymore.

Still disappointed at the lack of Hanamaru Yochien in any of these lists.

Stop ignoring the bottom of the page, mine had it!

Mahoromatic was the first anime recommended to me in high school so I have some fond memories of it.

Also that gainax ending.

Eh I don't think Mahoromatic qualifies for the infamous Gainax ending. It needs to be something slapped together with a shoestring budget or at least disappointing in some way like the Evangelion TV ending or the His and Her Circumstances one.

Hyouka vs K-On!.

Both Kyo Ani works.

I've seen one of their shows before (Clannad/Afterstory) so I'm more interested in whichever one has more feels.

Help me AnimeGAF.

Curiosity is totally a feel right? Hyouka, but if you MUST have something catering to "traditional" feels then by all means K-On.

To be honest, I find anything that's heavily emotional tends to give me feelings of warmth. In fact I'm the kind of person that finds listening to Joy Division to be uplifting.

I wonder how you'd feel while watching Kotoura-san.

Teaching anime can save the anime industry by causing them to buy overpriced DVDs!

Sadly these are college students, they would totally pirate all of it.

Shergal

Hyouka is the greatest Kyoani show.

K-On!! is the second greatest, and the movie is the greatest Kyoani thing.

Also, I'd say that both give "feels" well enough if they manage to grab you and get you attached to the characters.

cajunator

Banned
K-on production values are exceptionally high.
it is superbly animated and the small stories and day to day adventures therein are highly enjoyable.

cajunator

Banned
If only Hyoukas episode length was cut in half it would be perfect.
its saddled by several episodes where even less happens than in K-on.

OceanBlue

Hyouka is the greatest Kyoani show.

K-On!! is the second greatest, and the movie is the greatest Kyoani thing.

Also, I'd say that both give "feels" well enough if they manage to grab you and get you attached to the characters.

I think Hyouka is a little more subtle about it in the end, though, which is why I think K-On is more of what he was asking for.

In the end, I think they're both strong shows which aim for different things, which is why I don't really feel comfortable directly comparing them beyond saying, "It depends on what you're looking for."

zeroshiki

I thought the first few episodes of Hyouka were great as a form of slice of life mystery anime. When they get to the film arc though, the whole just completely takes off reaching its peak during the entire cultural festival arc. Basically, there is no "down" in Hyouka for me.

fertygo

Dai-Guard 01

I'm interested after ducky mentioning this often, also wasn't this are Mizushima's head director debut?

Anyway good start, the robot fight are awesome.. picturing heavy and stiff robot fighting alien, sure they make good stuff back then.

A lot happens in every Hyouka episode (well, besides 6 maybe).

I actually liked Episode 6. Not a lot happens, and it's probably the weakest episode of Hyouka, but it was still fun to watch for me. Like always, it had good dialogue, and it managed to make the completely mundane and kind of dumb 'mystery' still feel sort of engaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom