• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
The Curse of Kazuo Umezu

this OVA/Movie is extremely weird and creepy from start to finish. It's not über scary but with the right atmosphere i.e. a darkened basement alone, it really gets the job done. I was feeling bit anxious and creeped out the whole time. I don't know why, but the old comic/manga style characters felt really spot on and contributed towards the creepiness factor. All-in-all, it was great and if you got an hour to spare try to watch it.

KZKdoJJ.png

this guy is definitely the one that creeped me out the most

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 8

So in this episode, Porun got depressed because he has to live with Hikari but she has no personality.

No, seriously, that's actually what happened. I feel pretty sorry for the little guy. He's all like "even when I do bad things, she doesn't get angry, I don't think she cares about me-popo!"

So of course in response to this, Hikari has to undergo CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, as a result of which she was able to...half-heartedly get angry at Porun, and give the most generic "I WILL PROTECT MY PRECIOUS TAKOYAKI STAND" speech you ever heard. No, Hikari, it's not an upgrade when you try to augment "lack of character" with "generic facsimile of emotion". This just amplifies the problem.

If you don't hate it from the bottom of your soul by now, something is wrong.

I don't know about the bottom of my soul, but it does cause me actual pain that a good series has been reduced to this.

cajunator

Banned

So in this episode, Porun got depressed because he has to live with Hikari but she has no personality.

No, seriously, that's actually what happened. I feel pretty sorry for the little guy. He's all like "even when I do bad things, she doesn't get angry, I don't think she cares about me-popo!"

So of course in response to this, Hikari has to undergo CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, as a result of which she was able to...half-heartedly get angry at Porun, and give the most generic "I WILL PROTECT MY PRECIOUS TAKOYAKI STAND" speech you ever heard. No, Hikari, it's not an upgrade when you try to augment "lack of character" with "generic facsimile of emotion". This just amplifies the problem.

I don't know about the bottom of my soul, but it does cause me actual pain that a good series has been reduced to this.

Thats what bothers me about it,. but at least you know that the show got better instead of worse from that point on. Recent iterations have been decent to great.

Theonik

whoa why is the first episode 47 minutes.
40 minute of walking in circles.
It's meant to give some necessary context into what the hell is going on. The later epeisodes are better though I liked the first one too, while I'm in the minority for that I admit.

Itshappening.gif

Thats what bothers me about it,. but at least you know that the show got better instead of worse from that point on. Recent iterations have been decent to great.

By that he means follow up series, not Max Heart. Don't kill yourself too fast. You'd might lose interest, as it does better better afterwards.... Although Suite might be a potential second worst lowpoint (but leagues beyond Max Heart).

Basically it was a money grab after Futari Wa was unexpectedly hugely successful. then they composed themselves and made SplashStar.

And people hated it despite it being much better. Like I said, Shiny Luminous NTR'd Success-chan and nearly killed the franchise by doing so.

cajunator

Banned
I mixed up the wording. Max Heart was very successful. More than it deserved. Shiny Luminous stole Success chan from Splash Star and nearly killed the franchise by doing so.

Yeah I remember reading that. Kinda fucked up. But terrible things tend to be successful. Look at Sword Art Online.

CorvoSol

Giga slave is the most powerfull spell , no contest.

The ragna blade is cool & all and is a very very high spell but there is no contest the giga slave is more powerfull

How is that determined, though? Cuz the Ragna Blade looks basically exactly like the Giga Slave did.

papayas fuckin SUCK. Green beans are happy candy to me. I also love artichokes and asparagus spears and spinach/kale.

Papayas are truly awful. I do like artichoke and asparagus and spinach and kale, though. Papayas are so, so bad, though.

cnet128

Banned
Yeah I remember reading that. Kinda fucked up. But terrible things tend to be successful. Look at Sword Art Online.

And Oreimo.

Now now, you two. OreImo is legitimately good (even if the new series is a little lacking in execution) and I quite enjoy SAO as well (you guys here in general are waaaaaaaaay too hard on that series, even if it is clearly inferior to Accel World and the two series' popularity should be reversed). Neither of them deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Max Heart.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 9

Honoka's birthday again. This allows me to compare it with Honoka's birthday episode in the original series and despair. God, there are nearly 40 episodes of this to go. And two movies. I just want it to be behind me already T_T

Oh yeah, third antagonist was introduced this episode too. Caring is not an emotion that I can bring myself to associate with this development.

Now now, you two. OreImo is legitimately good (even if the new series is a little lacking in execution) and I quite enjoy SAO as well (you guys here in general are waaaaaaaaay too hard on that series, even if it is clearly inferior to Accel World and the two series' popularity should be reversed). Neither of them deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Max Heart.

Honoka's birthday again. This allows me to compare it with Honoka's birthday episode in the original series and despair. God, there are nearly 40 episodes of this to go. And two movies. I just want it to be behind me already T_T

Oh yeah, third antagonist was introduced this episode too. Caring is not an emotion that I can bring myself to associate with this development.

Just take your time or else doing other Precures might be difficult.

cajunator

Banned
How is that determined, though? Cuz the Ragna Blade looks basically exactly like the Giga Slave did.

Papayas are truly awful. I do like artichoke and asparagus and spinach and kale, though. Papayas are so, so bad, though.

People say durian smells bad but I think papayas are far more vile and nasty.

I got through like 18 episodes of max heart and just.....gave up for a while.
might go back to it if im really bored.

Oregairu 10

That Sagami girl is a bitch. Yuki needs to be her old self again so she doesn't let her walk all over her.

Yaoi girl is turning into a fave after recommending Hikki x Hayato then Totsuka x Hayato

Quasar

Photo Kano 10 - after the past few stories I didn't really like this one. Part of it being I think the other lead being a classmate of his kid sister rather than someone his own age or older. Then again I was fine with the Sae/Nansaki stories in Amagami SS.

In any case it was also a story that never really went anywhere. Which I guess is true of all the PhotoKano stories where all we get is the first chapter in a story (like Amagami where we get at least some kind of epilogue), but this one felt even more so.

The amount of SAO cosplay at MCM was disgusting. Disgusting. I wanted to punch every Kirito cosplayer there.
Then I saw a 14 year old with a LOGH cosplay and it was all OK.

I think SAO cosplayer's well Kirito's sometimes do have some rather impressive looking swords. Still I wish to find that perfect Kirito cosplayer someday, its like trying to find an Ichigo, Free!, or etc, where only the famous cosplayers can do it.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 10

Cake factory episode! Pretty generic, but felt like one of the better episodes of this series so far. This may or may not be related to the fact that Hikari barely appeared in it, only really showing up at the very end to back up the Cures for their finisher.

You know what annoys me about Hikari the most? She stole Porun. Porun is adorable and it's difficult not to smile whenever he's on screen, but now that Hikari's around, she steals all his screentime, and he doesn't get to go off on his own or do anything without her. Fuck you, Hikari. This series would be many times improved if you didn't exist and Porun got all your abilities instead.

Syrinx

Hataraku Maou-Sama 10

Despite whatever Chet might tell you, yes there are such things as boobs that are too big.

Going into a haunted house in your swimsuits seems kinda...like an iffy proposition. That's a pretty creepy trick they pulled off though. Or maybe it's bush league. I don't know, I've never been in a haunted house. Actually I may have been in one, but it was lame as shit. Whatever, I think that would have got me. I would have been onto them with the whole "My mama. She's gone" thing. But it takes a bit of an unexpected turn.

Poor Alciel can't catch a break. But how do you get that sick from too much udon?

Just in case you haven't noticed,
the manager for the Sentucky Fried Chicken is a sketchy guy, and is from Ente Isla (I always forget the name of this place), and is there to cause trouble. Don't know what he'll do yet. But if he's out to get Maou, I suspect it'll involve Chiho, but Emi and Suzuno will fuck him up. We'll see I guess.

I wonder when Vanguard will hit tv, theyve dubbed 101 episodes now so it seems strange to keep it youtube exclusive.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit 99 (engDub)

Kind of bordered on the boring side as there was no cardfight at all but
seeing Aichi in tears of joy at the memory of Buster Blade
was worth it.

Shergal

Has anyone seen "Welcome to the NHK"? is it really as good a psychological thriller as they say?

Psychological thriller? I don't think so.

I somewhat enjoyed it, anyway. It's very inconsistent, both in production and narrative, but it has some nice characters and situations. And a great OST, too.

Guess i'll be skipping Welcome to the NHK. How's serial experiments lain? Is it better than Steins;Gate?

Not the same kind of thing. I think Lain is infinitely better though, but keep in mind it's pretty dense and has a heavy atmosphere.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 10

Cake factory episode! Pretty generic, but felt like one of the better episodes of this series so far. This may or may not be related to the fact that Hikari barely appeared in it, only really showing up at the very end to back up the Cures for their finisher.

You know what annoys me about Hikari the most? She stole Porun. Porun is adorable and it's difficult not to smile whenever he's on screen, but now that Hikari's around, she steals all his screentime, and he doesn't get to go off on his own or do anything without her. Fuck you, Hikari. This series would be many times improved if you didn't exist and Porun got all your abilities instead.

She's like Togepi, and Porun's Misty!

Oh hay, PsionBolt is a member now!

Tamerlane

Banned
Guess i'll be skipping Welcome to the NHK. How's serial experiments lain? Is it better than Steins;Gate?

Watch Boogiepop Phantom first. It's probably the most hard to follow, psychologically dense anime out there.

Also is this thread suitable for long-form anime analysis stuff? I was thinking of doing a tribute to Kenji Nakamura thing analyzing some of the filmmaking techniques he uses, but I don't know if that's advisable since this thread is so stream of consciousness.

Shergal

Watch Boogiepop Phantom first. It's probably the most hard to follow, psychologically dense anime out there.

Also is this thread suitable for long-form anime analysis stuff? I was thinking of doing a tribute to Kenji Nakamura thing analyzing some of the filmmaking techniques he uses, but I don't know if that's advisable since this thread is so stream of consciousness.

I would read it.

Responses would depend on the interest the content generates, but from time to time there is some interesting discussion and analyses on directorial technique. If you want to write it, you may as well post it here!

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 5:
Despite being surrounded by water constantly, we still get a beach episode. It's fun, although there were a couple of moments that I thought were slightly uncomfortable in terms of casual discriminatory jokes. I've seen worse in anime, but I wish this show was better than that. Bebel also seemed to be miraculously in much better health this time around.

Overall, it was another solid episode of the show, and all the characters had some good moments. It's not the best the show has had to offer, but it's still worthwhile fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom