• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who never watched the original and is probably never going to, I'll just say that Brotherhood itself is pretty good and serves as a stand alone series separate from the original.

They can be watched independently of each other, as far as I know.

Maybe the early episodes of Brotherhood aren't as disappointing if you don't realize just how badly they butchered the Nina story. I just don't think the early episodes will have nearly as much impact if you have no prior experience with the franchise. The Brotherhood staff assumed that everyone had already seen those episodes, so they just hacked out some lackluster condensed versions of them.

But everyone should watch the original, because it's a great show.

Fate Zero - 1

So there's the holy grail that grants a wish and as expected, everybody's all "IT'S MINE IT'S MINE" for it, causing a massive war.

Well those guys sure chose poorly.

Good lord, this is like Code Geass R1^4. We're seeing like, four different perspectives here who all have their own reasons for going to this war.

Holy crap at that Kariya dude, damn this shit's messed up. He better not be Urobuchi's first target.

So it's a buddy-buddy magical warfare show? Yeesh this could get confusing. But then again, Code Geass was a bit confusing on my first run so I'll keep an open mind. However, I'll be expecting quite a few tragedies as this IS an Urobuchi show after all. I'm aware of all his tricks. He's not gonna fool me this time.

Just finished Episode 7 of JoJo

So bummed that Zeppeli died T_T. I wish they had at least kept him on for another 3-4 episodes at least, he was such an awesome character. please tell me the new members will compensate for the loss. Oh and Dio is an evil son of bitch, but so damn cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe the early episodes of Brotherhood aren't as disappointing if you don't realize just how badly they butchered the Nina story. I just don't think the early episodes will have nearly as much impact if you have no prior experience with the franchise. The Brotherhood staff assumed that everyone had already seen those episodes, so they just hacked out some lackluster condensed versions of them.

But everyone should watch the original, because it's a great show.

See, the only thing that really needed to happen in the first arc was :roymustang, and as a first time watcher, I thought that was an amazing moment - so the build up to that was well done anyway.

It's kind of interesting, because those characters aren't even explored in the second season, either. But that's okay. They at least have their OVAs.

That's because Tomoyo and Kyou's routes are the only two in the VN to go in a genuinely romantic direction; it'd be impossible to properly adapt them into a linear narrative and still go end up with Nagisa at the end.

The Count of Monte Cristo, Final

Well, it's been one wild ride. I'm not entirely pleased with the ending, and not because
The Count died, because they prepared the audience for that,
but because
they never really make it clear that Albert is The Count's son. It's implied once or twice, with Albert's hair being the color of Edmond Dantes' and not young Fernand's, and with Mercedes and Edmond being betrothed and with her keeping mementos of him, especially one in Albert's room.

But
he's not the Count's son.

OK, I'm sure someone here can answer this question. I know it's not the greatest, but my son is into Full Metal Alchemist and I want to know if there is a proper viewing order of the anime since Brotherhood came out. I've heard they skip and condense some pretty important things in the beginning of Brotherhood, so I'm wondering if there is a point to watch to in the original series, then jump over to Brotherhood or something like that.

Just watch all of the original series, as it's really good and its unique take on the material is well handled. I'm not as fond of Brotherhood, due to its erratic pacing and overall worse direction, but you can watch that afterwards if you're curious. If you do so, skip to episode 15 or so, since everything beforehand is a subpar version of what the original anime already covered.

CorvoSol

Godannar 5

A COSMO BASE? Geez, why would I work at Dannar Base when literally every other base in this show sounds cooler? DINO BASE. OASIS BASE. COSMO BASE. DINO BASE. I mean come on!

I . . . I'm pretty sure Anna's mom's breasts just bounced so spastically that they busted her bodice open. That or, uh, her chest actually just got larger?

cnet128

Banned
OK, I'm sure someone here can answer this question. I know it's not the greatest, but my son is into Full Metal Alchemist and I want to know if there is a proper viewing order of the anime since Brotherhood came out. I've heard they skip and condense some pretty important things in the beginning of Brotherhood, so I'm wondering if there is a point to watch to in the original series, then jump over to Brotherhood or something like that.

It's awkward, really. The original series certainly gives a better treatment of some of the earlier material than Brotherhood, but it also takes a lot of liberties with it (lots of shuffling with the timeline, the same events happening in different orders, different contexts, or with slightly different outcomes), so it probably wouldn't work very well to watch the two series together. That could easily get confusing. I wish they'd made Brotherhood a true "definitive version" rather than the halfway house we ultimately got, because it puts newcomers to the series in an odd position.

As things stand, the best way to get a "definitive version" is probably to just watch Brotherhood, but read along with the manga at the same time up until about halfway through the series, so that you get to cover the parts that were rushed/skipped over. (Also, it might be best to just skip the first episode of Brotherhood entirely, since it's an anime-original one-shot episode that could be considered a bit spoilerish. Maybe start off by reading the first few chapters of the manga to get the proper introductions, and then jump into Brotherhood straight from episode 2?)

RoeBear

Fate Zero - 1

So there's the holy grail that grants a wish and as expected, everybody's all "IT'S MINE IT'S MINE" for it, causing a massive war.

Well those guys sure chose poorly.

Good lord, this is like Code Geass R1^4. We're seeing like, four different perspectives here who all have their own reasons for going to this war.

Holy crap at that Kariya dude, damn this shit's messed up. He better not be Urobuchi's first target.

So it's a buddy-buddy magical warfare show? Yeesh this could get confusing. But then again, Code Geass was a bit confusing on my first run so I'll keep an open mind. However, I'll be expecting quite a few tragedies as this IS an Urobuchi show after all. I'm aware of all his tricks. He's not gonna fool me this time.

I loved the show immensely, but the first episode has some really bad pacing problems. I realize that it sets up the entire show, but still.

That scene with the walking around Kerei made me almost throw up...

Air 01

Is it just me or is every single mom in these Key animes totally a MILF who doesn't look much older than the main characters?

People seem waaaaay too friendly in this show. I mean, at least two people so far have just straight up walked to the MC who's kinda the shady type and they hit it off incredibly well and don't have any problem with it. Seriously, what. He's not even putting any effort in for this one, and from the first episode it really seems like the MC isn't pushing along the story at all.

Why do people say "eeehh" or "beeeee" when they stick out their tongues in anime? Isn't the most natural thing to do is say "mmmmm"?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Godannar 5

A COSMO BASE? Geez, why would I work at Dannar Base when literally every other base in this show sounds cooler? DINO BASE. OASIS BASE. COSMO BASE. DINO BASE. I mean come on!

I . . . I'm pretty sure Anna's mom's breasts just bounced so spastically that they busted her bodice open. That or, uh, her chest actually just got larger?

If you really love Dino Base team, you should definitely watch the second season. Well, I mean you watch the second season anyways, but still.

Dead

well not really...yet
The original series starts sprinkling original stuff fairly early on, and overall is paced and written in a way to not make it seems like there is an obvious adaption/original turning point.

I would not recommend watching the first show as a replacement for the early brotherhood episodes.

Honestly, it is more ideal to watch the entire first series, then watch Brotherhood. Both are good shows really, though I think the original is far better directed, and the writing is a lot better in many areas as well. Readers of the FMA manga hyped the shit out of the original story, but in reality, it's not really that much more amazing.

Now and Then, Here and There 2

ibai7gzjKHxNdC.jpg

E-excuse me?

So practically everyone in this show is insane and/or an asshole and it's all incredibly unsettling. This is going to be a long 11 more episodes.

Aria The Animation 1

I really like the setting and soundtrack, but I guess my tastes still won't allow me to enjoy something this uneventful. Thought it would be good to compliment my hype for Animal Crossing, but I guess not.

fertygo

DaiGuard - 08

Suddenly its getting on personal level, but that also going well!
The show continue to be surprisingly impressive and well made, you'd care a lot to the cast.

Erigu

Now and Then, Here and There 2
E-excuse me?
I don't remember the original Japanese, but I guess it might have been something like "capture him if he's unharmed ("buji"?), and just kill him otherwise ['cause we have better things to do than to nurse him back to health]".

EDIT: Nope, stupid in Japanese as well!

Photo Kano 10 - after the past few stories I didn't really like this one. Part of it being I think the other lead being a classmate of his kid sister rather than someone his own age or older. Then again I was fine with the Sae/Nansaki stories in Amagami SS.

In any case it was also a story that never really went anywhere. Which I guess is true of all the PhotoKano stories where all we get is the first chapter in a story (like Amagami where we get at least some kind of epilogue), but this one felt even more so.
The epilogues were great. I'd like another season based on them or even just the bad endings to see some of them, especially Haruka's
http://sadpanda.us/images/195531-JFFE6CA.jpg
So
cold

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't remember the original Japanese, but I guess it might have been something like "capture him if he's unharmed ("buji"?), and just kill him otherwise ['cause we have better things to do than to nurse him back to health]".

EDIT: Nope, stupid in Japanese as well!
Yeah, that's not a mistranslation.

cnet128

Banned
Chihayafuru2 22

Well, Chihaya vs Shinobu wasn't quite as intense or climactic as it could have been, since ultimately Chihaya's injury did put her at a clear disadvantage. But that's not to say it wasn't intense. Witnessing Shinobu's skill in action is always a remarkable sight, and this match was no exception.

Since a victory for Chihaya was clearly out of the question from the start, this match became more of a showcase of the two genius players' personalities playing off against each other. Chihaya's determination and focus really threw Shinobu for a loop; she had obviously been looking down on Chihaya to an extent as a player focused on the team side of the competitive karuta world, but this match forced her to see that Chihaya is still just as serious about the solo side of the game.

This match also made it clear just how far Chihaya has come since their last encounter. The last time she faced Shinobu, there was an insurmountable gap in skill between them, and Chihaya could barely even comprehend Shinobu's technique (beyond some evocative imagery). This time around, while she's still a long way from actually matching Shinobu in skill, their skill levels are now undeniably comparable. Chihaya demonstrates a clear understanding of Shinobu's technique, and comes tantalisingly close to replicating it. Even with her injury, she still manages to take a number of key cards from Shinobu, and as we see after the match, Shinobu is seriously shaken by the fact that Chihaya managed to do so well against her.

Oh, and...dat shirt-lifting moment. Chihaya is on Shinobu's wavelength all right XD

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I thought you were all just gone ;_;

Clannad 16

"Youhei's Gay" jokes are great :lol. Mae's kinda annoying though, not a fan of her so far (but she's not sticking around for now, so that's fine). Akio's still a boss, probably the best character in the show.

Tomoya and Tomoyo would probably be a good couple for having similiar names and being total trolls, but she's still only #3 right now for me. But now Nagisa has some more vocal challengers, so it should get fun.
But we all know the who the winner will be, don't we?

Pretty sweet basketball match though.
I loved the part where Tomoya was about to lose the game. He way that he was giving up and falling back (both physically and mentally) into his old, broken, cynical self, only to be pushed onwards and upwards (again physically and mentally) with the encouragement of Nagisa.

CorvoSol

Attack on Titan 4

Potato Girl is Best Girl. Seriously. Waifu material there. Goddamn, the instructor has a mile long stare that could see through solid steel. That guy's face is quite possibly more terrifying than the Titans'.

OH DAYUM. WE'RE BACK A DINOSAUR STORY.

Quasar

Chihayafuru2 22

Well, Chihaya vs Shinobu wasn't quite as intense or climactic as it could have been, since ultimately Chihaya's injury did put her at a clear disadvantage.

Was surprised Chihaya didn't further damage her hand in this match. Thought for sure there would be a hand collision at some point in the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom