• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky Star 12

hvBy35U.jpg
3SV2ixb.jpg

I love you seiyuu and reference jokes. I really do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Chihayafuru 2] 22

Fucking false advertisement. I see no mammies.
DFC, etc.

Was surprised Chihaya didn't further damage her hand in this match. Thought for sure there would be a hand collision at some point in the match.
I'll just say keep watching, as it gives them an out for the season finale.

-----

So another ANNCast with Funimation that I half listened to. Some interesting sales facts:

Mass Effect did "well" for them, but that somehow means meeting "80-90% of expectations"... so it's successful but not as successful as they thought it would be? :p
Blood-C is also one of their higher selling series. lol

Older releases that seem to be doing well for them include Tenchi Muyo Geminar War, One Piece, Black Lagoon, Dragon Ball GT and Trigun.

Funico is pretty much dead, but they "don't know". lol

Quasar

The epilogues were great. I'd like another season based on them or even just the bad endings to see some of them, especially Haruka's
http://sadpanda.us/images/195531-JFFE6CA.jpg
So
cold

Certainly I would be happy if we got more stuff from in between the initial stories and their epilogues, like we got in Amagami SS+. But I guess that is all stuff that never appeared in game form (of course I have no idea what of the anime appeared in game form - whether it all comes from the game or whether they anime folks created extra stuff).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Certainly I would be happy if we got more stuff from in between the initial stories and their epilogues, like we got in Amagami SS+. But I guess that is all stuff that never appeared in game form (of course I have no idea what of the anime appeared in game form - whether it all comes from the game or whether they anime folks created extra stuff).
Teacher arc first, and so forth!

Jex

[Valvrave] - 9

Huh, the mecha action and choreography was actually entertaining in it's own right this week. Weird, I wasn't expecting that aspect of the show to actually be competent.

I'm not too concerned, at present, that the series hasn't done anything overtly crazy for a couple of weeks. I'm sure it's just building up to it. I believe in Valvrave.

CorvoSol

Slayers NEXT 15

So I definitely think 2nd Season is the best season of Slayers. That said, this episode is creepy as hell, because it is all about scary dolls, and when I was younger, my older sister had a collection of creepy as hell dolls. Oh, and Xellos kisses Lina. Amelia makes sure Gourry doesn't see. He's too busy being a jellyfish.

anime is pretty close, manga has some crazy arcs.
one manga for example turned that bad Haruka ending into a complete story.

Hibiki & Teacher or bust imo.
Oh god yes.
Teacher would be good too.

Jex

[Crest of the Stars] - 1 (Re-watch)

As you tend to at the start of a series, the overall director of the series Yasuchika Nagaoka directed and storyboarded this first episode. In most cases this means that the first episode of any given series has much better direction, and sometimes better animation and art, than later episodes in the show because extra time and effort was poured into it.

That's not really the case here; instead I'd argue that this is one of the worst directed episodes in the entire series. I can't fathom why that would be the case, unless Yasuchika Nagaoka is just a bad director which could very well be the case because I've never seen any other works directed by him, but whatever the reason the results are unimpressive.

There's a number of weird, canted shots that make the visuals unnecessarily confusing. The jarring, erratic editing causes further confusion as we cut from one image to to another with no apparent rhyme or reason leaving whole sequences of the episode nothing but a string of bizarre images that fail to create a sense of place, mood or time. I imagine the idea behind this editing was to place the viewer in the middle of a chaotic battle sequence but there's good ways to portray this and poor ways to portray this. If I, the viewer, can't make sense of the images in front of me then I can't be made to feel like I'm in the middle of a chaotic battle when I literally don't know what's going on.

Oh, I really can't complete any discussion of this episode without talking about all the terrible visual after effects that were used on the animation. It feels like someone just got a hold of photoshop and liberally slapped filters and effects all over the place. It's garbage. Let's not talk about the character designs either, they're the worst kind (well, not quite the worst, but nearly) of 90's character designs.

The opening music is really good though!

It's worth saying that I still enjoy this series quite a bit and would recommend it highly to others but I can't deny that, this episode at least, suffers from serious problems.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think she got one on a fan disk and the teacher had some web exclusive thing.
Actually, it's funny. IIRC, the teacher arc in the original game was a "bad ending". But they retconned that and made her a possible waifu with the exception that
dude graduates before they can hook up

The rule is that fanboys always win. Always. lol

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam 33

So Bright and the gang stop off in Dublin for a chat and, well, to make a long story short, my boy Judau decides he's had enough of playing second fiddle to an invalid like Kamile, so he PUNCHES A WORLD LEADER IN THE FACE. That's right, Judau PUNCHES A MAN IN THE FACE. So cool. Meanwhile purupurupurupurupuru! Oh, and Fa is back. Not that anyone ever cared, because Fa is the undisputed WORST GIRL.

fertygo

DaiGuard - 12

Awesome episode, Its great to see the comedy aspect shine in the supposed intense episode and all blend nicely.. man, such a nice feeling when you hyped up seeing the big robot makes appearance, its one of the reason you watch mecha show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Teacher arc first, and so forth!

SS+ failed because otaku have the same attitude toward romance that they have toward high school life: it's all downhill after you actually achieve your goal. More courtships arcs for everyone!

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 22

chihayas222.jpg

Another good episode, the pacing wasn't as quick as I'd like it to have been but they made good use of the match by focusing on the actual players for most of it. I swear to god though if
Taichi loses the final
then I'm gonna be real pissed.

Actually, it's funny. IIRC, the teacher arc in the original game was a "bad ending". But they retconned that and made her a possible waifu with the exception that
dude graduates before they can hook up

The rule is that fanboys always win. Always. lol
It just goes to show that sometimes the fanboys know what's up!

SS+ failed because otaku have the same attitude toward romance that they have toward high school life: it's all downhill after you actually achieve your goal. More courtships arcs for everyone!

Do you really need to blame otaku here? You can see similar phenomena in, say, shoujo romance manga, where the final confession and hookup only comes at the end of the story. Writing about an already firmly established romantic relationship and making that relationship interesting is a difficult thing to do.

This is a good list, but it needs to include Requiem from the Darkness.

If I'd seen it, I'd probably have included it.

Jex

The original series starts sprinkling original stuff fairly early on, and overall is paced and written in a way to not make it seems like there is an obvious adaption/original turning point.

I would not recommend watching the first show as a replacement for the early brotherhood episodes.

Honestly, it is more ideal to watch the entire first series, then watch Brotherhood. Both are good shows really, though I think the original is far better directed, and the writing is a lot better in many areas as well. Readers of the FMA manga hyped the shit out of the original story, but in reality, it's not really that much more amazing.

That's a bit controversial, but I broadly agree.

Most of the problems with the first FMA series have to do with the ending(and that dreadful movie). BONES gonna BONES.
I really liked the idea they presented at the end, especially considering how different the writers deviated from the source material while still having it all make sense within the rules of alchemy, but I think they just didn't execute it well enough.

CorvoSol

Godannar 6

So it occurs to me in this episode that, although Goh and Anna have been married legally for some time now, they
have not had sex yet, judging from Anna's reaction to some sexy talk last episode and the fact that in this episode, Goh is shown to still share his room with his little bro.
Meanwhile, we get some crazy reactions to the revelation that
Goh's old partner, Mira, is still alive. And that they had had sex.

Still crazy that Goh married a high school girl.

yami4ct

Most of the problems with the first FMA series have to do with the ending(and that dreadful movie). BONES gonna BONES.

Original FMA anime's end was bad, but I can't say the manga's end was much better. When I read that, I almost immediately soured on the whole series. Original anime's end was good concepts executed terribly, manga's end was bad ideas executed competently. I'm not actually sure which I prefer.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 115
I probably shouldn't be surprised that Hotaru x Chibiusa doujinshi are a thing. But they shouldn't. Just like other stuff the perverts at Toei (IKUHARA) included in here. Which I won't link because banhammer.

Are they ever gonna address why
Pluto is suddenly able to travel through time? I thought she was trapped by the door or something.
Who put all this Key in my Toei?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey speaking of FMA, does anyone know if The Sacred Star of Milos is canon within the Brotherhood series?
I don't believe so, but it takes place before any of the conspiracy stuff, so it could fit into either series I suppose.

They really should have just given that volume away for free to anyone who had proofs of purchase for every volume from SS.
Poor anime fans, always getting trolled.

It just goes to show that sometimes the fanboys know what's up!
Broken clock and all that?

Guys I'm halfway through ep2 of Dennou Coil. Does the show get more interesting later on or is it pretty much the same thing throughout?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 115

Are they ever gonna address why
Pluto is suddenly able to travel through time? I thought she was trapped by the door or something.
Legitimate plot hole
that doesn't exist in the manga because events in R and S differ. Her appearance is pretty much handwaved in the anime.

Jex

[Valvrave] 9: Random Thoughts

We all know that anime series love to reference each other. As with a couple of the other big shows this season, Valvrave makes a very overt Evangelion reference this episode, namely that (Evangelion and Valvrave 9 spoilers)
that all the pupils in the school were, unwittingly, part of the Valvrave program just like how everyone in Shinji's class is a potential Evangelion pilot.

The other reference this episode made was to The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. This one's a bit more unusual because everyone takes stuff from Evangelion but I haven't a Macross reference this specific in sometime. They students basically use the same pinpoint barrier system that the Macross has:

This system always seemed terribly impractical to me which is probably why I haven't seen it any other show. The idea that the people in control of the shield have to be fast enough to react to enemy attacks and move the shield into place to block them always seemed very silly to me. I assume that it's in this series as some kind of joke, but I can't be sure. It's an absurd enough system to fit into the Valvrave universe.

Yeah, I know, I've seen too much anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Conqueror of Shambala is freaking Godwin's Law: The Movie. How can you not love that?

edit: DAMN YOU IKUHARA

If
Nazis
are all it takes for you to be interested in something, it's high time that you finally watch The Laws of Eternity.

Original anime's end was good concepts executed terribly, manga's end was bad ideas executed competently. I'm not actually sure which I prefer.
I think that's a pretty good way of putting it. I didn't really like the climactic finale in Brotherhood, but I definitely enjoyed the resolution a lot more than the original series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom