• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, those posts I were typing up for A Certain Scientific Railgun are gone. Stupid GAF servers.

A Certain Scientific Railgun 04-05
Gosh, I really love the OP of this show.

looking! the blitza loop this pulanet to searcha way
only my railgun can shoot it ima sugu

Kuroko is so adorable.

CorvoSol

High School of the Dead 1

I've endured CGI Mecha for some time now, but I don't know if I'm ready to accept the CG Zombie future.

I think this girl has just told my boy Rick Grimes here that he's stupid more times in one speech than Asuka did in the entirety of Evangelion. Also main guy is Rick Grimes because I saw a girl with a samurai sword in the OP and she is officially Michonne. The rest will fall in place as I go. Shut up, this is non negotiable.

Damn, Rick Grimes is genre savvy as hell. Sees people go nuts, immediately knows to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse. It's good to know this show provides hometown in addition to life. Also, spears aren't swords, and make for subpar anti-zombie melee weapons.

Hahaha, well, he's not going to last long. HAHAHAHAHA DAMN THAT'S COLD. "DAMMIT BITCH I SAID LET GO!" HAHAHAHA.

Damn, I'm in.

trejo

I'd say if you want the best of both worlds then watch the original up until around the halfway mark or whenever it is that
Hughes bites it
:( and then switch over to Brotherhood.

For the record I'm one of those who thinks the original TV ending sucked and the clusterfuck that was Conqueror of Shambala's plot just further compounded that belief. Brotherhood's endgame was perhaps much simpler in that regard but I found that simplicity a lot more comfortable and befitting, in a way.

Also, vanilla FMA doesn't have
Ling nor quite nearly as many scenes of King Bradley fucking shit up like a boss
which just makes it automatically the inferior version, imo.

Now I'm confused, because first it was shitting on the movie, and now I'm hearing otherwise.

If nothing else, it's a very pretty looking movie and has some legit impressive action sequences that are likely to satisfy your inner sakuga whore. It's just that everything else about it can go die in a fire, that's all.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Well I was thinking of watching another episode of Clannad, but now that I'm buzzed and slightly depressed and thinking about my mediocre high school experience I probably should not watch it right now :lol

I'd say if you want the best of both worlds then watch the original up until around the halfway mark or whenever it is that
Hughes bites it
:( and then switch over to Brotherhood.
One thing the original show has over Brotherhood is the series of episodes where Ed and Al journey to various places and help people out/prepare for the Alchemist Exam and meet the soldiers. The world and character building really contributed to my interest in the narrative, and it's unfortunately absent in Brotherhood in favor of a more quick and concise pace. However, I don't think jumping between the two series is a good idea, primarily because the alchemy behind the Homunculi is fundamentally different in each, and their connection to the greater picture could really confuse people.

Quasar

No arguments there.

Well I liked it just as much I think. At least certain arcs.

As for the question I don't think its really a otaku thing. Its primarily a high school romance show with a epilogue to show couples newly married or thereabouts. At least the ones that have such things, like Haruka for instance. And it makes sense given the show setup and the Japanese view of high school.

Still I am kind of curious about why we never got to see an epilogue for all arcs. Or is that meant to infer that they broke up at some point and so showing them not as a happy couple just isn't really useful.

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 115

EgkTl9sl.jpg

Why is Téa from Yu-Gi-Oh in Sailor Moon with black hair?

Jewelpet Kira Deco 33

The villain's plan:
1. Don the persona of a classy Shibuya teen to woo Pink.

xWbNjvX.jpg

2. Don a fursuit to woo Ruby.

ND9Wx0h.jpg

3. Double-time like a boss.
4. ????
5. Profit!

Hattori

Banned
Plastic Nee-san~

this show so hilarious and random, I freaking love it. Nee-san character is amazingly funny and cute. The only caveat is that it's so short, I want more dammit! Oh well, it's still pretty fun to watch.

hKtk6FU.gif

CorvoSol

Attack on Titan 5

No, okay, seriously
is Eren dead for like, realsies? Because if so fuck this show. Bad enough I had to deal with this shit in Gurren Lagann, but not only are decoy protagonists just fucking a bad joke, thank you ever so much for building up a world's worth of mystery around Eren only to not solve any of it and kill him off. Fucking fuck.

duckroll

Girls und Panzer OVA 5 - Snow War

The best one yet. So good. Yukari is god-tier. Anyone who disagrees is just wrong. Nothing much more to say here! I would totally buy a minigame collection with Yukari just doing Yukari stuff - Warioware style.

mAcOdIn

[Valvrave] 9: Random Thoughts

We all know that anime series love to reference each other. As with a couple of the other big shows this season, Valvrave makes a very overt Evangelion reference this episode, namely that (Evangelion and Valvrave 9 spoilers)
that all the pupils in the school were, unwittingly, part of the Valvrave program just like how everyone in Shinji's class is a potential Evangelion pilot.

The other reference this episode made was to The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. This one's a bit more unusual because everyone takes stuff from Evangelion but I haven't a Macross reference this specific in sometime. They students basically use the same pinpoint barrier system that the Macross has:

This system always seemed terribly impractical to me which is probably why I haven't seen it any other show. The idea that the people in control of the shield have to be fast enough to react to enemy attacks and move the shield into place to block them always seemed very silly to me. I assume that it's in this series as some kind of joke, but I can't be sure. It's an absurd enough system to fit into the Valvrave universe.

Yeah, I know, I've seen too much anime.
Sorry you had to watch Eva and Valvrave, that is too much!

Anyways, why didn't Sega ever do an arcade Macross pinpoint barrier arcade game as a troll? Can you imagine, walking by the machine, which would be an enclosed affair, hearing the awesome music blaring(we're assuming they used the awesome Robotech score and not the shitty Macross one naturally) and salivating at the thought of experiencing a modern arcade valkyrie simulator just to put in your one dollar, watch the opening sequence and getting pumped at the awesome graphics and itching for your chance to fly around and blast some zentradi while transforming and shooting barrages of missiles just to watch your onscreen avatar rush to a secluded room and sit at the barrier defense system station and play some shitty minigame. The trolling points would be amazing.

Dresden

jewelpet kira deco - 03

Behold Coal's budget-constrained swag:

His superiors might not pay him well, but trial apps will see him through. Another amusing episode.

• I still find the idea of having jewels for eyes (I just picture the soulless luminosity of a dollfie) or even a forest where jewels and other such doodads grow on trees to be kinda creepy.
  • Sapphi instantly climbed to the top of the Jewelpet Bestpet Rankings (tm) when she proclaimed her desire to find the philosopher's stone. Dat thirst for knowledge!

Jex

Sorry you had to watch Eva and Valvrave, that is too much!

Anyways, why didn't Sega ever do an arcade Macross pinpoint barrier arcade game as a troll? Can you imagine, walking by the machine, which would be an enclosed affair, hearing the awesome music blaring(we're assuming they used the awesome Robotech score and not the shitty Macross one naturally) and salivating at the thought of experiencing a modern arcade valkyrie simulator just to put in your one dollar, watch the opening sequence and getting pumped at the awesome graphics and itching for your chance to fly around and blast some zentradi while transforming and shooting barrages of missiles just to watch your onscreen avatar rush to a secluded room and sit at the barrier defense system station and play some shitty minigame. The trolling points would be amazing.
If only Sega had your flair. All you'd need is a shitty track ball and a few audio clips and you've got your whole game!

wonzo

Banned
Kuromajo 30-32 END

kuromajo30.jpg

truly the most dangerous substance known to man

And so ends the first season of a fairly silly, inoffensively, and ultimately fun series about a young witch apprentice getting constantly trolled by her teacher. I liked it overall and I'll definitely check out the second season whenever that gets translated.

CorvoSol

lol just keep at it Corvo, Eren sucks anyways it's all about Mikasa

Yoko was amazing, too, but
Gurren Lagann wasn't as good without Kamina.
It's the same way here. What are my choices now?
Pouty pushover kid turning into a strong guy by the death of his friend and boring ass cold girl who is good at everything? It's like a house of cards. Armin and Mikasa were decent supporting characters, but if Eren is dead, fuck the show because none of these shits are leading character material.

Fuck this show. All it takes is one stupid decision for cheap shock value during one episode and I wasn't expecting it to go down 5 in.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well I liked it just as much I think. At least certain arcs.

As for the question I don't think its really a otaku thing. Its primarily a high school romance show with a epilogue to show couples newly married or thereabouts. At least the ones that have such things, like Haruka for instance. And it makes sense given the show setup and the Japanese view of high school.

Still I am kind of curious about why we never got to see an epilogue for all arcs. Or is that meant to infer that they broke up at some point and so showing them not as a happy couple just isn't really useful.

Truthfully I just like making cynical assumptions at the expense of otaku culture even when I know that any issue is typically more nuanced. In reality, I just think that SS succeeded largely on the merits of its novelty as a "multiverse" romance, the fairly even likability of the waifus, and the then-popularity of the PS2 VN.

SS+ arrived more far-removed from the VN's release and unable to reproduce the sense of novelty; furthermore (and the thing I disliked most about it), the show relied on reopening narratives that were neatly wrapped up "happily ever after"-style in the original. SS+'s mini-arcs were either forgettable fluff or unnecessary romantic complications (except Rihoko, of course) and were all fairly inconsequential in terms of their effect on their respective relationships' status quos. It was, to me, simply an unnecessary sequel.

As to the inconsistency of showing epilogues for some arcs but not others, I don't think that there's any implication that arcs lacking epilogues end in eventual separation. I could name a few possible reasons, but it would only be baseless speculation.

It's the same way here. What are my choices now?
Pouty pushover kid turning into a strong guy by the death of his friend and boring ass cold girl who is good at everything? It's like a house of cards. Armin and Mikasa were decent supporting characters, but if Eren is dead, fuck the show because none of these shits are leading character material.

Fuck this show. All it takes is one stupid decision for cheap shock value during one episode and I wasn't expecting it to go down 5 in.

While I mostly agree with your feelings about Mikasa and Armin, I'd say the next few episodes are still worth watching.

jgminto

Attack on Titan 5

No, okay, seriously
is Eren dead for like, realsies? Because if so fuck this show. Bad enough I had to deal with this shit in Gurren Lagann, but not only are decoy protagonists just fucking a bad joke, thank you ever so much for building up a world's worth of mystery around Eren only to not solve any of it and kill him off. Fucking fuck.

Attack on Titan 6

Yup.
Eren's dead.
Fuck this show.

I don't get this attitude at all. Sounds like something DTL would say.

fertygo

Corvo about to go full tomato again.
[Valvrave] 9: Random Thoughts

We all know that anime series love to reference each other. As with a couple of the other big shows this season, Valvrave makes a very overt Evangelion reference this episode, namely that (Evangelion and Valvrave 9 spoilers)
that all the pupils in the school were, unwittingly, part of the Valvrave program just like how everyone in Shinji's class is a potential Evangelion pilot.

The other reference this episode made was to The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. This one's a bit more unusual because everyone takes stuff from Evangelion but I haven't a Macross reference this specific in sometime. They students basically use the same pinpoint barrier system that the Macross has:

This system always seemed terribly impractical to me which is probably why I haven't seen it any other show. The idea that the people in control of the shield have to be fast enough to react to enemy attacks and move the shield into place to block them always seemed very silly to me. I assume that it's in this series as some kind of joke, but I can't be sure. It's an absurd enough system to fit into the Valvrave universe.

Yeah, I know, I've seen too much anime.
I thought the same during the episode lol "Its from Macross"

Yeah its impractical but the concept about it they found unused energy and they like "we can use this" with modifying it, its not for battle use from the first place.. Valvrave also told the similar thing to us with L-Elf modify thing to use.

mAcOdIn

Corvo about to go full tomato again.I thought the same during the episode lol "Its from Macross"

Yeah its impractical but the concept about it they found unused energy and they like "we can use this" with modifying it, its not for battle use from the first place.. Valvrave also told the similar thing to us with L-Elf modify thing to use.
My biggest gripe concerning the usability of such a device, aside from the necessity to actually intercept everything manually is how exactly would you realistically emit such a shield? Wouldn't it require shitloads of stationary emitters all across the ship or mobile ones made for such a thing? And if not, why can't they shape it into ridiculous shit like a giant energy sword and just go to fucking town?
If only Sega had your flair. All you'd need is a shitty track ball and a few audio clips and you've got your whole game!
Yeah, seriously, it'd be cheap as hell to make.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 34

JUB7UMc.jpg

I can't get enough of these faces!

Cupid forced love plots are already a favorite of mine, but then they went above and beyond and threw in a body/personality merge plot on top of that! Great stuff. The moral of the story is that too many cooks spoils the broth.
Gray was the best.

nvjHcie.jpg

Labra asking the tough questions.

jewelpet kira deco - 03

• I still find the idea of having jewels for eyes (I just picture the soulless luminosity of a dollfie) or even a forest where jewels and other such doodads grow on trees to be kinda creepy.

Just wait til you get to the Sweetspets.

CorvoSol

While I mostly agree with your feelings about Mikasa and Armin, I'd say the next few episodes are still worth watching.

I'm not dropping it yet. Not yet anyway. Still pissed off about it, though. I'm going to marathon to the latest episode and see how I feel by then.

I don't get this attitude at all. Sounds like something DTL would say.

Then for once in my life let it be written that I agree with DTL.

Attack on Titan 7

Calling it now:
Big ugly elf Titan is Eren reincarnated and people who get eaten as Titans become Titans and that's how they reproduce and part of a larger scheme which will inevitably be some part of some poorly conceived bullshit anime scheme.
Episode 5 more or less torpedoed my opinion of every aspect of this show not related to the action and music.

Stop crying and watch one more episode.

One more episode did not favorably alter my feelings toward this show.

sonicmj1

I can't agree with this at all. Gurren Lagann was plenty fun at the beginning, but all the emotional punch of the show, and the significance of the characters continuing to fight and believe in themselves, comes because of
Kamina's death and Simon's ability to move on from it.

I know that some people just want to watch the characters they like succeed and stop all the bad things from happening, but for me, it means much more if they fail sometimes and have to overcome painful setbacks. Fighting on through adversity makes them more human.

Either way, I think your feelings about Titan could change after you see more of it.

fertygo

My biggest gripe concerning the usability of such a device, aside from the necessity to actually intercept everything manually is how exactly would you realistically emit such a shield? Wouldn't it require shitloads of stationary emitters all across the ship or mobile ones made for such a thing? And if not, why can't they shape it into ridiculous shit like a giant energy sword and just go to fucking town?

Macross can use giant barrier, we see it couple of time, but especially when they cause giant explosion and expelled to space.

They can't move or attacking while using it, I'll assume that sliding thing just a little solution for that.

CorvoSol

I can't agree with this at all. Gurren Lagann was plenty fun at the beginning, but all the emotional punch of the show, and the significance of the characters continuing to fight and believe in themselves, comes because of
Kamina's death and Simon's ability to move on from it.

I know that some people just want to watch the characters they like succeed and stop all the bad things from happening, but for me, it means much more if they fail sometimes and have to overcome painful setbacks. Fighting on through adversity makes them more human.

Either way, I think your feelings about Titan could change after you see more of it.

Gurren Lagann became less enjoyable to me for two reasons following
Kamina's death
: first and foremost was the introduction of Nia. Nia's awful and I don't feel the need to explain that in any way. The second reason was the show suddenly tried to get all serious, and being serious was not Gurren Lagann's strong suit.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great show, and there was plenty of fun to be had after that point, but I dunno.
Killing Kamina so soon in the show has never sat with me.
Which I think is another thing:
it's one thing to do the heroic sacrifice at the end, people move on from that because whatever. But discarding a character early in a show isn't a choice I agree with.

CorvoSol

You sucked so bad at analyzing corvo, hahaha.. that's what make your post funny though, I love you man.

Analyzing what? I'm not looking to do an analysis, just stating how I felt.
Kamina's departure, coupled with the arrival of Nia and the attempts at being serious lessened my enjoyment of the show.
That's all.

fertygo

Analyzing what? I'm not looking to do an analysis, just stating how I felt.
Kamina's departure, coupled with the arrival of Nia and the attempts at being serious lessened my enjoyment of the show.
That's all.

I give the comment to that Titan prediction bro..

Only a moment you wrong you making a new one again haha.. maybe this one have more luck.

sonicmj1

Gurren Lagann became less enjoyable to me for two reasons following
Kamina's death
: first and foremost was the introduction of Nia. Nia's awful and I don't feel the need to explain that in any way. The second reason was the show suddenly tried to get all serious, and being serious was not Gurren Lagann's strong suit.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great show, and there was plenty of fun to be had after that point, but I dunno.
Killing Kamina so soon in the show has never sat with me.
Which I think is another thing:
it's one thing to do the heroic sacrifice at the end, people move on from that because whatever. But discarding a character early in a show isn't a choice I agree with.

I mean, I don't care much for Nia, so that's one thing. I felt like she stayed out of the way enough that her bad elements didn't bother me too much.

But I think Gurren Lagann handled seriousness very effectively. The setbacks and difficulties the characters faced meant that their moments of triumph weren't just them throwing shit at a wall and having it work because they believed a lot. It grounded the absurd ascension of power and scale in the very human need to overcome adversity and move forward. That's what made moments like this (spoilers within) so powerful. When the characters succeed, they're defeating their own personal demons as well.

Gurren Lagann's seriousness, on the whole, is kind of like G Gundam's seriousness. Even if some of it may not work on its face, it's a necessary element for those emotional climaxes to have meaning.

Attack on Titan 7
Calling it now:
Big ugly elf Titan is Eren reincarnated and people who get eaten as Titans become Titans and that's how they reproduce and part of a larger scheme which will inevitably be some part of some poorly conceived bullshit anime scheme.
Episode 5 more or less torpedoed my opinion of every aspect of this show not related to the action and music.
One more episode did not favorably alter my feelings toward this show.

Ahahahahaha I love thinking about how excited you were when you first watched this show and you were saying how AWESOME it was.

Your feelings pretty much mirror mine for this show.

Gosh I was about to watch Gurren Lagann. I should be more careful with spoilered comments lol

sonicmj1

Ahahahahaha I love thinking about how excited you were when you first watched this show and you were saying how AWESOME it was.

Your feelings pretty much mirror mine for this show.

Gosh I was about to watch Gurren Lagann. I should be more careful with spoilered comments lol

You should, but I'm pretty sure I had that revelation spoiled for me as well before I watched it, and I still really loved the show. Don't let it stop you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom