• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. A Space Brothers and a Chihayafuru episode that didn't stretch out events. This is a good sign.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Episode 9
tumblr_mo2z0wZZRu1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Same. Hanabi episode was alright. Imouto really is underrated in this anime as her comments and plans and everything just always make me chuckle and laugh. I do kind of wish it was 20+ episodes, as I want to see more progress from all the cast.

OP song is quickly becoming one of my most listened to this season.

Ultimadrago

Of the four shows I picked up for this season, it's hands down the worst one. The mecha are a disastrous mess, the action subpar, the faces hirai, the comedy flatter than a ten month old cup of soda in the back of a hoarder's car, and the main five are in desperate need of developing away from one another.

Looks like I can safely scratch Majestic Prince off the list for when I get to backlog shows from this season. Thanks for the heads up! It makes my life easier.

Maybe it's just the shitty phone picture, but the colour composition makes me wanna barf.

I hear ya.

Girls und Panzer OVA 5

Cute episode. That marching song's stuck in my head a bit.

Gosh I was about to watch Gurren Lagann. I should be more careful with spoilered comments lol

It sucks you got spoiled, but trust me it's worth it nonetheless. Episode 11 might have given me a more optimistic outlook on life and inspired me to do great things (I never actually did them though, but you get my point).

Hm...which gif is that again?

?? Not quite sure what you mean.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 17

Science Club project episode. Not as fun as the one from the original series, but it was okay I guess.

3b6aR

Something like what you just watched. Familiar "reasons" for the episode, familiar locations and whatnot. It kinda feels like Max Heart is The After Years of Pretty Cure, but probably nowhere near as stupid (not saying much).

So, first there's a joke to be made about how boring One Piece arcs can get because it takes 30 episodes to tell a story that can be told in 2 hours, but that's not fair. lol

I could have told cosmic that he wasn't going to like Aria though. It's not pander-moe enough like Yuyushiki to appeal to that part of brain, and it's also very much place focused first and character focused second, so it's also a travelogue show of what is essentially Venice. Also, there's the whole :firehawk thing, but I know that's not for everyone either. It's a very narrow focus anyway.

I have no problem with place focused above character focused if I like the setting. It's one of the reasons I love Skies of Arcadia so much. And hey, Venice is a cool place. Always loved the concept of a city on water.

It's just I need a bit more than that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have no problem with place focused above character focused if I like the setting. It's one of the reasons I love Skies of Arcadia so much. And hey, Venice is a cool place. Always loved the concept of a city on water.

It's just I need a bit more than that.
Well, technically, there's a shounen arc in the three girls want to power up and become "Primas".
It's very much about the :firehawk though, with Akari essentially finding a reason to cry about everything she sees because she's so happy to have discovered something new about herself and the world, so... lol

cajunator

Banned
I'm...not sure that comparison works >.> Togepi and Misty are both cute!

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 11

Okay, this was without a doubt the best episode of this series so far. Lacrosse (which is, as we have established, the best sport ever) really does somehow make everything better.

The conflict in this episode - two of the lacrosse team members getting in a fight and ruining the team spirit for the big match - was pretty standard as these things go (and kind of reminiscent of Shiho's motivation issues in that one episode last series), but it was really heartwarming to see Nagisa help the team overcome it through the POWER OF HOLDING HANDS technique Honoka (and Hikari) had used to raise her own spirits.

In fact, even Hikari had a pretty good showing this episode. Aside from the aforementioned hand-holding encouragement, it was pretty cool to see her determinedly holding out against the bad guys on her own so that Nagisa's big match wouldn't have to be ruined. For a character whose main role is usually to stand on the sidelines providing support for the two real fighters, she put up a pretty nice fight.

And actually, even the Zakenna this episode was much cooler than the boring designs we've been seeing in previous episodes. A giant metal dinosaur who can use Thunderbolt? That's inherently cool. Main villains, you just got showed up by one of your own minions. My God, you guys suck.

For bonus points, was I just imagining it, or did this episode have actual animation? I definitely spotted a couple of unfortunate off-model moments, but the movement seemed much more fluid than usual in that battle. It's like the animators were actually trying!

Thank you, Max Heart. This episode was exactly what I needed to avoid losing all hope.

Nah you should pretty much abandon all hope in Max Heart.

Guess i'll be skipping Welcome to the NHK. How's serial experiments lain? Is it better than Steins;Gate?

Noooo don't skip NHK until youve given it several episodes! Its really quite good! Just not a psychological thriller. More like slice of life with some serious psychological and societal problem introspections.
Also, You should watch both Lain and Steins;Gate. Try to make time for all these. they are very good.

Date a Live 10

So shit's getting more real than expected for a series about dating spirits. Really not sure how this can get wrapped up in two more episodes, and it probably won't.

I'm really going to miss this show and all the lovely waifus.

Fate Zero - 1

So there's the holy grail that grants a wish and as expected, everybody's all "IT'S MINE IT'S MINE" for it, causing a massive war.

Well those guys sure chose poorly.

Good lord, this is like Code Geass R1^4. We're seeing like, four different perspectives here who all have their own reasons for going to this war.

Holy crap at that Kariya dude, damn this shit's messed up. He better not be Urobuchi's first target.

So it's a buddy-buddy magical warfare show? Yeesh this could get confusing. But then again, Code Geass was a bit confusing on my first run so I'll keep an open mind. However, I'll be expecting quite a few tragedies as this IS an Urobuchi show after all. I'm aware of all his tricks. He's not gonna fool me this time.

This show is so cruel. Thats how I would describe it. It is just ridiculously cruel to anyone and anything in it. But its very good at the same time.

Just wait a week for Art of the Year, The Last of Us.

Fuck that game. Instead of more Uncharted we get that shit.

Character interactions are pretty straightforward so I don't think you'll end up confused, even if you aren't particularly familiar with the franchise.

Some of the characters are confusing due to very similar designs. The men mostly.

3dpd. IM SO SCARED

They really should have just given that volume away for free to anyone who had proofs of purchase for every volume from SS.

No arguments there.

I would have happily taken them all.

One thing I'd like to see Hataraku Maou-sama do, even if as a joke, is take Chiho or the manager to Enta Isle and see if a person taken there may find that they are in fact a demon or angel as a joke fanservice episode. Little Chiho with a devil's tail, that's awesome, that needs to be done.

I keep thinking of something like a Deviluke and it is totally hnngworthy. Maybe I could draw this!

Necrovex

Utena 8

Utena1_zpsa525803b.png

Gaf should use this picture as the plane meme for now on. It's perfect!

Untitled_zps32706de3.png

Chu-Chu has evolved into a higher being.

I realized this episode Touga is a mix between Zelos (Symphonia) and Jade (Abyss). He is almost a perfect human being.

This episode taught me not to mess around with curry.

And how isn't Nanami dead? AN ELEPHANT LANDED ON HER AND SHE FELL OF A MOUNTAIN! One of these days, my dream of her demise will happen.

Narag

No wonder Ishida sounds so familiar in this. He's leakiing Domon everywhere.

Also, I had no idea Gilgamesh had the same VA as Domon. wtf

cajunator

Banned
First key visual for NeoGAINAX's new soft airgun cute girls doing cute stuff show, C3-Bu:

Downgrade?

I am so watching this!!

Bad Ways to Watch Utena - (least to most bad)

- Skimming recap episodes
- Watching Utena dubbed
- Skipping all the recap episodes
- Using your video player to force every episode into widescreen

This is how I experienced Utena. I loved it.

I recall him doing it with a bunch of shows, I couldn't remember if Utena was one of them.

Oh it definitely was.

MadokaxAttack on Titan mashup:

http://youtu.be/Vvkt87Ygcw4

Wow. Holy shit. Very impressive.

This is the first of these that I actually enjoyed. They are getting pretty tired at this point.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 16

Nagisa's fortune says she's super lucky this week, so she gets overconfident and does badly in a test. Yawn. Moving right along...

You are a beast to watch this much Max Heart.

Hm...which gif is that again?

?? Not quite sure what you mean.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 17

Science Club project episode. Not as fun as the one from the original series, but it was okay I guess.

This is around where I just got bored with the show for a while and dropped it.
Its just wasting time watching it.

I left Smile Precure on overnight because i normally do things like leave a video running. Apparently me being half concious made me realize the ending said Doki Doki Precure.

I think it's time to see what DokiDoki's ending will hint to next.

BluWacky

I realized this episode Touga is a mix between Zelos (Symphonia) and Jade (Abyss). He is almost a perfect human being.

Touga is voiced by Takehito Koyasu, who also voices Jade.

Takehito Koyasu is THE MAN.

(well, actually, Joji Nakata is THE MAN. Takehito Koyasu is THE BISHOUNEN. But you get my drift.)

cnet128

Banned

Oh yes, I think I've seen that one before. The animation is bad, sure, but it doesn't seem nearly as hilarious as the Spinning Nagisa one, so I'm not sure I'll really notice it when it comes up.

Something like what you just watched. Familiar "reasons" for the episode, familiar locations and whatnot. It kinda feels like Max Heart is The After Years of Pretty Cure, but probably nowhere near as stupid (not saying much).

Ah, right. Yeah, there are quite a few episodes in this series that feel like a redo of episodes from the first series. There was the "Honoka's birthday" episode with visiting parents, interrupted celebrations and a handmade gift from Nagisa. There was the lacrosse episode which, as I mentioned, was pretty reminiscent of Shiho's focus episode from the first series. And now there was the new Science Club project episode.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - I mean, it makes sense to have some of the same events happen again, since annual events are a thing, and each series seems to cover one school year. And as I think I made pretty clear, the lacrosse episode was my favourite so far! But it does feel a little lazy sometimes.

One thing I'd like to see Hataraku Maou-sama do, even if as a joke, is take Chiho or the manager to Enta Isle and see if a person taken there may find that they are in fact a demon or angel as a joke fanservice episode. Little Chiho with a devil's tail, that's awesome, that needs to be done.

Hmmm...I can't really see Chiho as a devil. She'd make a lovely angel, though.

(well, actually, Joji Nakata is THE MAN. Takehito Koyasu is THE BISHOUNEN. But you get my drift.)

But if Nakata is THE MAN and Koyasu is THE BISHOUNEN, what does that leave for Norio Wakamoto?

Only if you're DTL or a fujoshi(t).

Not really. The entire goal of the series was achieved, and then undermined by the TV ending, and it was still presented in a way that made it clear things weren't over. The movie ending gave us a different kind of sacrifice, but still gave us closure.

Oh yes, I think I've seen that one before. The animation is bad, sure, but it doesn't seem nearly as hilarious as the Spinning Nagisa one, so I'm not sure I'll really notice it when it comes up.

Ah, right. Yeah, there are quite a few episodes in this series that feel like a redo of episodes from the first series. There was the "Honoka's birthday" episode with visiting parents, interrupted celebrations and a handmade gift from Nagisa. There was the lacrosse episode which, as I mentioned, was pretty reminiscent of Shiho's focus episode from the first series. And now there was the new Science Club project episode.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - I mean, it makes sense to have some of the same events happen again, since annual events are a thing, and each series seems to cover one school year. And as I think I made pretty clear, the lacrosse episode was my favourite so far! But it does feel a little lazy sometimes.

I mean it makes sense, but it's part of the reason why Max Heart is so bad, because it makes it feel extra repetitive. And certain aspects like the "remember this amusement park" was repetitive in the original series already.

I mean despite being a sequel anime, it just feels like Pretty Cure with Hikari slapped onto it, and worse. Despite Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo being a sequel, it didn't fall into the same pitfall like Max Heart did.

7Th

Not really. The entire goal of the series was achieved, and then undermined by the TV ending, and it was still presented in a way that made it clear things weren't over. The movie ending gave us a different kind of sacrifice, but still gave us closure.

There was no sacrifice; it was just a BROS B4 HOS ending designed to pander to the main audience of the original series.

I can see that when the looking at it thematically. A lot of the main characters are sinners seeking redemption, and the Elric brothers want to become 'whole.' Over the course of their narrative, it's clear that their brotherhood is integral to who they are, so
being separated at the end of the series leaves things unfulfilled. It was a two-person journey, so having Al join Ed on the other side gives that sense of closure.

mAcOdIn

Hmmm...I can't really see Chiho as a devil. She'd make a lovely angel, though.
But that's why these things are fun, it'd be like role playing. It'd be boring if she just stayed the same and got some wings. You see a little devil in her when she sides with Maou and Ashiya, in Episode 6(I think) where they sneak into school, against Emi.

The manager would work as a demon or angel though.
Are you sure? It might come out extremely cute!
As opposed to?

Caesnd

An anime with Nakata, Koyasu, Wakamoto, Shiozawa and Otsuka all playing their typical roles would have been something really special.

BluWacky

An anime with Nakata, Koyasu, Wakamoto, Shiozawa and Otsuka all playing their typical roles would have been something really special.

May Kaneto Shiozawa rest in peace :(

I'm not really much of a seiyuu follower, but these guys all have such distinctive voices - in a good way, I'm not talking Kappei Yamaguchi oh-god-make-it-stop style voices - that they're instantly recognisable. It does, however, make it very difficult for me to take them seriously when they pop up in one-off supporting/guest character roles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom