• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Oh lol, I thought it was really despicable women being raped like serial killers or whatever, not ones that dumped a guy.
The first OVA involves a girl getting raped because her mother (yep) doesn't want her going out with a worthless punk instead of a manly yakuza man like her unsuspecting father.

The Kingdom 2 OP makes me miss Pride :(, it was so memorable, guess Ill get used to this.
Bad song and not a lick of CG in sight… I don't how to feel about the later. :(

** 1 of 1 in / ** ★ (* 12,070 pt) 13/06/19 Oreimo S2 BD
** 2 of 2 in / ** ★ (* 34,501 pt) 13/07/17 Attack on Titan BD
** 3 of 3 in / ** ★ (* 13,982 pt) 13/06/21 Garden of Words BD

^

Basically, Oreimo shot up the rankings and passed Titan after the light novel spoilers came out. LOL
lmao

All this talk about HOTD reminds me that I need to finish it. I remember stop watching it on episode 6 which many people who's watched it really likes that episode (if you've seen it you probably know why). I remember that after the first (or second whichever episode she appears in) episode I didn't like the nurse all that much. Her stupidity that episode really made me dislike her.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The only way to win is to pretend the show doesn't exist. Anything else you say will always get people interested in it.

I've got to find a way to break out of this miserable pigeonhole as someone who only recommends bad shows.

I don't see anything that is jank about this. Looks cute!

Look at the legs.

I MEAN YES, it broke one of my pairs of Yuri goggles, and then threw it to the ground, and forced me to wear the bestiality goggles (because that's the major theme of Yes Pretty Cure 5! Bestiality) but jeez. It's like.... I'm not even sure who watched it besides me and Madp, and I haven't finished GoGo considering it's impossible at this moment, but I think GoGo still has potentially... the greatest episode in the franchise, and it requires buildup for it to be the best.

Still watch Yes 5! It is the creepiest Precure series in the entire franchise, and is probably more sexualized than Fresh Precure if you're into that thing. Do IT! If you watched Max Heart, you can watch anything!

Yes 5's not creepy, it just has the closest thing to a canon heterosexual pairing in the franchise. Fresh is ridiculously sexual in comparison.

I probably haven't seen the "greatest" episode that you're referring to yet, but I can confidently say that GoGo also has the worst episode in the entire franchise (ep. 8). At least Max Heart typically just had an absence of narrative, while GoGo went full stupid for an episode beyond my lowest expectations. For reference, it's the episode where
a BIRD. YES, A BIRD sends a MESSAGE MADE OF CRYPTIC VISUAL CLUES to Nozomi asking her to save her nest. FUcking horrid.

Don't listen to Madp. Just watch Yes! Precure 5. You won't die from it.

Also to respond to an earlier point: it's not bestiality. Coco has a human form that he spends a great majority of time in. Nozomi fell in love with him in that form and just accepts that he's naturally a fairy. I don't know why this bothers people.

Narag

I've got to find a way to break out of this miserable pigeonhole as someone who only recommends bad shows.

Watch good ones, recommend those instead!

Also to respond to an earlier point: it's not bestiality. Coco has a human form that he spends a great majority of time in. Nozomi fell in love with him in that form and just accepts that he's naturally a fairy. I don't know why this bothers people.

Sounds hot.

wonzo

Banned
Someone said there won't be as much CG this season. It'll be easier to watch now, wonzo!
I just skimmed through the first episode and while there's some CG for the battle scenes, most of it looks 2D (and actually competently animated at that).

I feel betrayed in a way…

Narag

I just skimmed through the first episode and while there's some CG for the battle scenes, most of it looks 2D (and actually competently animated at that).

I feel betrayed in a way…

Hardly, it's only by your sacrifice have they realized the error of their way. Perhaps it'll be good and it'll earn a rare double commendation from you and DTL!

I MEAN YES, it broke one of my pairs of Yuri goggles, and then threw it to the ground, and forced me to wear the bestiality goggles (because that's the major theme of Yes Pretty Cure 5! Bestiality) but jeez. It's like.... I'm not even sure who watched it besides me and Madp, and I haven't finished GoGo considering it's impossible at this moment, but I think GoGo still has potentially... the greatest episode in the franchise, and it requires buildup for it to be the best.

Still watch Yes 5! It is the creepiest Precure series in the entire franchise, and is probably more sexualized than Fresh Precure if you're into that thing. Do IT! If you watched Max Heart, you can watch anything!

I'm watching pretty cure since the start . 1 ep per week since futari wa.

Go go is better than Yes! even if it doesn't drop some of the themes and coco x Nuts are still alive.
The finale of GoGo is much much better than the one in Yes!
After 2 years i found the cast likeable...but i'm pretty sure that was because i had almost given up on the precure franchise.

Yes 5's not creepy, it just has the closest thing to a canon heterosexual pairing in the franchise. Fresh is ridiculously sexual in comparison.
? what pairing ?
Coco x Nozomi ? Komachi x Nuts ?
I probably haven't seen the "greatest" episode that you're referring to yet, but I can confidently say that GoGo also has the worst episode in the entire franchise (ep. 8). At least Max Heart typically just had an absence of narrative, while GoGo went full stupid for an episode beyond my lowest expectations. For reference, it's the episode where
a BIRD. YES, A BIRD sends a MESSAGE MADE OF CRYPTIC VISUAL CLUES to Nozomi asking her to save her nest. FUcking horrid.
Yep that one was pretty bad. actually the whole intro of Gogo was quite bad.
Things got great once milky rose arrived.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sounds hot.

The only person that I've ever actively recommended Yes 5 to is DTL because it actually has a top-tier yaoi pairing in Coco x Nuts.

6wv7Lvw.jpg

Watch good ones, recommend those instead!

I do recommend good stuff! Nobody decides to listen then, though!

Well I avoided saying anything about it but since you brought it up...

(major spoilers obviously)
that stupid nonsensical lights/Ushio+doll/power of the dragonballz meta-plot overarching the whole thing was so dumb it almost ruined the entire story for me. Cause KEY just can't leave well enough alone I guess.

And this is from the perspective of someone playing the VN, where all that nonsense actually sorta made sense, as opposed to the anime where they just tack that stuff on at the last minute to the confusion of everyone watching.

Absolutely agree.
It makes it extra disappointing as I thought that the series had handled the drama so perfectly until that point and then suddenly that deus ex machina ending makes every emotion you have had pointless. Really awful ending and I can't comprehend how so many enjoyed it. I guess majority of people are happy if everything just gets happy ending no matter the cost.

Look at the legs.

Of course it's the closest things, it's also the one where there's actually a two way street.
It doesn't stop the fact that they're both Racoon/Squirrel Fairies first though

It doesn't bother me, in fact it's part of why Yes! 5 was somewhat enjoyable because they're fairies first and foremost, not humans.

I'm watching pretty cure since the start . 1 ep per week since futari wa.

Go go is better than Yes! even if it doesn't drop some of the themes and coco x Nuts are still alive.
The finale of GoGo is much much better than the one in Yes!
After 2 years i found the cast likeable...but i'm pretty sure that was because i had almost given up on the precure franchise.

? what pairing ?
Coco x Nozomi ? Komachi x Nuts ?

Yep that one was pretty bad. actually the whole intro of Gogo was quite bad.
Things got great once milky rose arrived.

There's also SyrupxUrara, and KarenxMilk. And GoGo! becoming great when Milky Rose came in? Just like Yes! 5.

The only person that I've ever actively recommended Yes 5 to is DTL because it actually has a top-tier yaoi pairing in Coco x Nuts.

6wv7Lvw.jpg

I do recommend good stuff! Nobody decides to listen then, though!

That's because you're not bold enough.

railgun s 2

Fuck it, I'm watching it for the dumb.

Seems like its setting up for something. clones... oh yeah never really followed that in Index outside of the loli and the asshole white hair guy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Valvrave 09:

lol
Aina already being used as propaganda
. Unless these are just teenagers being teenagers, in which case there's got to be some kind of commentary in here on the self-serving nature of people creating social networking memorials for people they don't even know.

yesssssssssss we're up to four pilots now. sasuga L-Elf, intentionally overloading the colony's power generators so that Yamada could get out of the brig and bond with a Valvrave.

cnet128

Banned
She got a personality?

Ahahahahahaha never.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 31

More lacrosse! Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh!

This time the focus was on Nagisa's skills as a captain, and frankly, she nailed it. Despite her team's best efforts, the opposing team dominated them in the first half, always cutting in to snatch the ball at the perfect moment. Nagisa realised that this was because their opponents had studied up heavily on their past matches and were reading their every movement. So the solution, of course, was to change up their play style!

In a masterful gamble, Nagisa reworked the team formation to place herself in defence and an up-and-coming second year in her own usual goal-scoring position. She also gave the team a really nice pep talk to give her replacement plenty of confidence and get them all in gear for a victory.

And what do you know, it paid off! The team's new star goal-scorer scored plenty of goals, even while Nagisa herself was inconveniently removed from the match by forces beyond her control (one of the few times these villains have shown up without just making everyone in the vicinity conveniently fall asleep. I guess that would be a bit conspicuous in the middle of a sporting event...) Though of course, in the end Nagisa had to make it back just in time to score the deciding goal. Some things never change...

Meanwhile events were pretty intense on the battle side of things this episode, too. Tired of taking turns, the three currently-active villains all showed up at once to fight the Cures head-on, backed up by a veritable army (er, American football team?) of Zakenna. Luckily for the good guys, Hikari's new upgrade powered up the girls' EXTREME LUMINARIO into a frankly broken finisher that burst out in all directions across the field, homing in on all three villains at once and taking out all the Zakenna in one fell swoop. Extreme indeed!

Oh, and although he didn't make it to this episode's fight, it looks like Ilkubo Mk II is now back in action. Took him long enough.

wonzo

Banned
ivMKCjHJ1sjgU.gif

Not only is this the only fully CG scene in the entire first episode of Kingdom 2 (there's some background stuff with 2D elements in the foreground), but it's actually consistent with the overall look of the show and actually has some good shading.

i can't

Ahahahahahaha never.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 31

More lacrosse! Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh!

This time the focus was on Nagisa's skills as a captain, and frankly, she nailed it. Despite her team's best efforts, the opposing team dominated them in the first half, always cutting in to snatch the ball at the perfect moment. Nagisa realised that this was because their opponents had studied up heavily on their past matches and were reading their every movement. So the solution, of course, was to change up their play style!

In a masterful gamble, Nagisa reworked the team formation to place herself in defence and an up-and-coming second year in her own usual goal-scoring position. She also gave the team a really nice pep talk to give her replacement plenty of confidence and get them all in gear for a victory.

And what do you know, it paid off! The team's new star goal-scorer scored plenty of goals, even while Nagisa herself was inconveniently removed from the match by forces beyond her control (one of the few times these villains have shown up without just making everyone in the vicinity conveniently fall asleep. I guess that would be a bit conspicuous in the middle of a sporting event...) Though of course, in the end Nagisa had to make it back just in time to score the deciding goal. Some things never change...

Meanwhile events were pretty intense on the battle side of things this episode, too. Tired of taking turns, the three currently-active villains all showed up at once to fight the Cures head-on, backed up by a veritable army (er, American football team?) of Zakenna. Luckily for the good guys, Hikari's new upgrade powered up the girls' EXTREME LUMINARIO into a frankly broken finisher that burst out in all directions across the field, homing in on all three villains at once and taking out all the Zakenna in one fell swoop. Extreme indeed!

Oh, and although he didn't make it to this episode's fight, it looks like Ilkubo Mk II is now back in action. Took him long enough.

At this point, I'm surprised you still like the Lacrosse episodes.

Sports episodes get toned down after this series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hands slip? What was she touching? And how wet was it for her hands to slip? :D

Ira's balls.

http://i.minus.com/ivMKCjHJ1sjgU.gif

Not only is this the only fully CG scene in the entire first episode of Kingdom 2 (there's some background stuff with 2D elements in the foreground), but it's actually consistent with the overall look of the show and actually has some good shading.

i can't

Did someone say that Kingdom basically existed to train new animators?

Tenumi

Banned
Before you see Smile's endgame, I must ask the following: have you seen Yes 5's movie or the DX3 crossover? This is important.

No, I haven't. I'm finishing Smile tonight, by the way.

Smile Precure: 45

I'm gonna miss these eyecatches...

Anyway,
The Precure were dominated like no other battle this season. Only through the "Magic of Friendship!" were they able to win this one. All honesty, I've got to say that this SPOILER IMAGE of the fairy forms of the main three villians is absolutely adorable. Can't say I seen that bit coming, as well.

It's finally time.
Pierrot is revived, and we have our end game villians: the Bad End Precure
. This is going to get fun!

Narag

ivMKCjHJ1sjgU.gif

i can't

I wouldn't even mind that if it didn't have so much jank.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 7:
Just when everything had seemed up for Ledo, this had to happen.
He has to get dragged back into everything, and of course no one can understand what is going on. I thought the scene where he's working on the flute, and then he hears the approaching enemy and screws up was a very powerful moment that showed how his two worlds were diametrically opposed.
My only real problem with the episode was that the ending seemed to veer too far into melodrama, depending on how it plays out in the next episode. I could have done without that.

Branduil

** 1 of 1 in / ** ★ (* 12,070 pt) 13/06/19 Oreimo S2 BD
** 2 of 2 in / ** ★ (* 34,501 pt) 13/07/17 Attack on Titan BD
** 3 of 3 in / ** ★ (* 13,982 pt) 13/06/21 Garden of Words BD

^

Basically, Oreimo shot up the rankings and passed Titan after the light novel spoilers came out. LOL

i6FT78LLGUL3O.jpg

Amakusa

I need a good, funny anime. I'm talking a show that will make me laugh. Whats good this season? Maybe I'm missing something.

give me a moment like this

yuri5_zpse8d0c349.gif

cnet128

Banned
Sports episodes get toned down after this series.

This is fine by me. As we have established, lacrosse is the greatest sport ever, and so since I doubt even Splash Star would have the nerve to make its protagonist a lacrosse player again, any sports episodes after Max Heart would just be a downgrade.

Absolutely agree.
It makes it extra disappointing as I thought that the series had handled the drama so perfectly until that point and then suddenly that deus ex machina ending makes every emotion you have had pointless. Really awful ending and I can't comprehend how so many enjoyed it. I guess majority of people are happy if everything just gets happy ending no matter the cost.

I honestly disagree IMO.
The ending was absolutely not deus ex machina at all. Throughout the entire series we saw these lights floating around whenever something good happened and we're told about what the light orbs do. So we knew it was foreshadowing something. We were also told about the parallel world theory in episode 16 of the After Story.

If they never showed any of this to the audience and then brought Nagisa back to life, then it would be an out-of-nowhere deus ex machina. But since they did it makes sense and is satisfying. It also has some kind of karmic moral around it (do good things and good things may happen to you in the end. You never know.).

Cliché and cheesy yes, but considering all the foreshadowing around it and how they handled it, I think it was executed well enough. And I never played the Visual Novel.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 6

Was Vetti playing that damn harpsichord that whole time while Ralph was delivering his letter and bringing back the reply? What a dweeb. Oh, speaking of that reply, who the hell writes like that? That's a lot of words and prose to call the guy a clown and tell him to fuck off. It appears whatever "exceptional" education she received didn't teach her the wonders of brevity. Still, can't disagree with her ultimate message.

http://youtu.be/MbzZYacdCns?t=5m31s

I honestly disagree IMO.
The ending was absolutely not deus ex machina at all. Throughout the entire series we saw these lights floating around whenever something good happened and we're told about what the light orbs do. So we knew it was foreshadowing something. We were also told about the parallel world theory in episode 16 of the After Story.

If they never showed any of this to the audience and then brought Nagisa back to life, then it would be an out-of-nowhere deus ex machina. But since they did it makes sense and is satisfying. It also has some kind of karmic moral around it (do good things and good things may happen to you in the end. You never know.).

Cliché and cheesy yes, but considering all the foreshadowing around it and how they handled it, I think it was executed well enough. And I never played the Visual Novel.
Sure afterwards I knew that all those pararrel world stuff and floating lights were one of the main point of the story and the reason the ending could happen but during the series I just disregarded them as some artistic stuff and that is why it felt deus ex machina ending for me. Maybe I refrain my statement that I can't comprehend how so many enjoyed it but it still was big disappointment for me. Felt kinda empty after the ending but for the wrong reasons. All that (great) drama for nothing.

jman2050

I honestly disagree IMO.

I should clarify on my end that
I don't think it was a deus ex machina, it was actually foreshadowed really well and kinda made sense (after some stuff was explained to me by a third party anyway), at least in the VN.

I just think it's stupid and doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom