• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys can anyone tell me which is the better anime?

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince vs Suisei no Gargantia

They are both space mecha and airing at the moment.

Majestic Prince is by far the better space mecha. Gargantia is simply only good for the first eleven minutes of episode one, a random moment in a beach ep of sorts and then decent recently. Gargantial lacks any sort of wholly compelling action or even visual flare and many cast members feel irrelevant to the plot. The writers fail to focus on that which people want opting for dull day to day troubles on a vessel instead of intergalactic action of particle beams, swords, bits and other type of futuristic warfare. Its watchable at best.

Majestic Prince is essentially a blast 80% of the time with pretty explosions, great comedy and intense high speed high climax space fighting. The AHSMB and Juria System mechanisms combined with the cast personality and great sound and drama, really make it a fun and good anime.

Have you considered valvrave?

Finally a pv and my favorite va is in this one.

Now we need an otome anime for winter.

Kazzy

[GunBuster] 5-6

7FmakNV.jpg

A well-realized world is something that I both love and hate. On one hand it creates depth to the material, but it’s that subtext that I often want to explore, which is never usually all that feasible, or relevant. For as tongue-in-cheek as many of its pseudo-scientific babble is, GunBuster isn't any different in that regard. It establishes a whole slew of ideas and facets to its world, many of which it never really delves into. But the rebuttal to that criticism would be that the narrative never remains static, and each of the six episodes turns to something new.

So of course, I was heartened to see the effects of the earlier-established time dilation, explored further in the finale. Back when they referenced it in episode 2, it captured my imagination, though I never really expected it to receive much attention past that.

The whole concept of the world having already passed you by is just horrifying. I mean, the initial “6 months later” drop is already a jarring transition, but then when those months are turned into years, well, it’s hard not to empathize with Noriko’s melancholy. “It all seems so rushed” is her apt assessment of the situation, whilst waiting to receive her long-delayed high school graduation; something that eventually becomes even more prophetic as the story moves forward.

It seeds the idea of what could actually happen if one was to have the world (quite literally) pass them by. Noriko is increasingly fighting a battle for something she has very little stake in, namely the earth. Her eventual return marks the realization that she longer has a place to call her own, both emotionally and physically. Her best friend has long since passed her by, and even though they still share that faint trace of their friendship, Kimiko is (rightfully) concerned more about her own daughter.

It probably helps that the action itself is so bombastic and silly, because the inverse is an emotionally-charged look at what awaits its characters on the other side. As soon as the monochrome opening of the finale hits, nothing really needs to be said. It’s a great way of conveying how intense things are about to become. That Noriko, Kimiko dynamic forms the heart of the whole piece (at least for me), that come the eventual realization that they will actually never cross paths again in their respective lifetimes, it is utterly heartbreaking. They've won, but what's left? In a way, it harkens back to the earlier theory that the "monsters" are simply an answer to the superfluousness of humanity. The galaxy is sacrificed for their continued existence, and Noriko has, as circumstances dictated, offered up her own existence in the process. The whole thing is probably the happiest-sad ending that I've seen.

Ambition is this series biggest virtue, which too carries its own share of caveats. The brevity of a lot of the situations helps for it to never overstay its welcome, but that’s precisely why you are left craving more. As much as I enjoyed the pastiche of a thousand clichés during the initial episodes, I really think it hits its stride during the latter half. The music, animation and narrative all come together, rather than feeling like that earlier amalgamation.

Basically, I want(ed) more!

cajunator

Banned
Hai folks. Haven't watched much anime in the past 2 months, but I thought I'd hop in here to ask a question.

Does anyone else have bad memory?

I was going through my MAL and a few posts on other forums that I used to frequent long ago, and I can't remember so many of the anime series I have watched. Apparently I was a huge fan of Zetsubou Sensei, but I honestly can't remember shit about the series.

:(

I have a TERRIBLE memory. Im surprised I can remember what I ate for breakfast. Same goes for what animes I watched in the past and how far (particularly in College anime club).

Hey guys can anyone tell me which is the better anime?

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince vs Suisei no Gargantia

They are both space mecha and airing at the moment.

GARGANTIA.

finally something good came of this whole NSA scandal

Haha I remember us talking about him and you had to post XD
He really was a treasure and now he's lost :(

Holy crap, I had no idea Luci Christian was in Angel Beats. She doesn't even sound like her Chidori Kaname self here, so that's probably why I didn't even recognize her the first time I watched this. I totally recognize her tiny verbal tics now, though.

On a side note, Angel Beats was one of the first animes I watched, so every time the voices from the English dub show up in other shows I can't not think of them from here.

dat Brittney Karbowski.

Luci Christian is the undisputed cutest english voice actress in anime.

Looool. thats perfect!

Fate/stay night 02
Watching this reminds me that when I was at Disney World about two weeks ago, I went to the Japanese gift store in the Japanese-themed area at Epcot, and I saw a Saber figure there. I was really tempted to buy her, despite having not seen this series like at all. They also had some figures from Evangelion, too. I wonder if anybody has some pictures of it, I probably should have taken some of my own pictures.

Jegus, its hard watching the quality of this series having seen Fate/Zero's first episode with its higher production values.

"You're a good man, Emiya!"

I wonder if the VN is any good. I can really feel the source material in this one. heh

The only thing good about this show is Rin and Ilya. Ilya is precious. Rin is zettai ryouiki.

Read or Die OVA 1

Why is this so good still.

Because it fucking is!

Lurky

Henneko 09

I have no idea what is happening in this show any-more. It's going to end on a cliffhanger too isn't it. Such a shame. Hope they give us at least SOME form of resolution for all this crap.
Well at least I got the screenshot above and well it did serve to wash off the terrible Attack on Titan episode I saw before it.

Truly Henneko is the anime of the season!

Mushibugyo Episode 10
tumblr_mo6hqtk2CV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Continually impressed by Mushibugyo.
Poison Magistrate was quite epic even if taken out in a kind of dull way. I hope the thing gets removed so we can see more of it
. Otherwise great human v human action all around. Feels like their building up to a good conclusion for this portion of the anime airing in this spring season.

Yall had to wait this long for Steins;Gate? how did you survive?

I almost imported the overpriced US copies from UK Amazon :p

I thought people in the UK just get US releases of anime, could have though I see funimation stuff over there.

UK misses out on the good BLue Exorcist set :(

Which one was the good Blue Exorcist boxset?

Seriously I'm just so happy with this, I'll pre-order them all. Kids on the Slope comes out in 2 weeks!

Theonik

Oh its a series, wasn't it good? Has a nice score on mal.
It started somewhat promising. Then something happened. We should have known.
Fräulein Eule
My brain still hurts.
Fräulein Eule
Make it stop!
Fräulein Eule
It wasn't our fault!
Fräulein Eule
Argh!

TL;DR: The series wasn't very good.

WOW even Clannad After Story...

but why only DVD! :( Seriously why not also on bluray when the US got it 7(!) years ago.

There seems to be more anime coming out this summer, its amazing even One Piece.

It started somewhat promising. Then something happened. We should have known.
Fräulein Eule
My brain still hurts.
Fräulein Eule
Make it stop!
Fräulein Eule
It wasn't our fault!
Fräulein Eule
Argh!

TL;DR: The series wasn't very good.

I still need to watch the Lupin anime, all of it. Have only seen Castle of Cagliostro and Lupin vs Detective Conan(need to post my impressions about it), both were great movies.

Theonik

No idea if already posted but Gainax's airsoft show got new colored character sheets.

http://akiba-souken.com/article/anime/16619/
Terrible colour design.

I prefer cheap anime releases than boxsets filled with cheap nonsense.
Generally yes unless the premium is small. And I want at least ALL the digital extras on the disk.

I still need to watch the Lupin anime, all of it. Have only seen Castle of Cagliostro and Lupin vs Detective Conan(need to post my impressions about it), both were great movies.
I have only seen the first series, Cagliostro, and this atrocity with patches of the other stuff. (should watch the pilot soon)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Majestic Prince Episodes 1-6 Magical Index in Space

It would be nice if the show delved more into them being forced into a military academy because they were genetically altered before they were born and having their memories erased, and the affects this has on them as a person, but alas we'll never get this kind of story writing in a show like this even though they allude to it.

Funny enough the original Majestic Prince is a thoroughbred horse that won the Kentucky Derby in 1969. It was bred to race and perform.

Why does a genetically altered soldier still have acid reflux?

Yuka Iguchi's voice is the most annoying I've ever heard it. It is like they increased the volume and increased the higher frequencies of her voice to make it even more annoying.

If the students get brought into the academy at around the age of 12, why do they look the exact same in the flashback as they do in the present? Is the excuse going to be that being Genetically altered made them grow up faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom