• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
In other words, not Kuroneko.

Now, if kayos could just learn to use a dictionary... But I guess that would take the fun out of things.

Definitel not the lovely kuroneko!

Bad thing you still have to pay for a feature you won't use after fifteen minutes.

I bought a 3ds and im not physically able to even see the effect.

Ordered this recently pretty much on a whim and it just came today. Hoping to start it tonight.

Goood choice!

CorvoSol

I love the MGS games and Solid/Naked snake are great characters but it sure as hell isn't because of his strikingly unique visual design. In an avatar without the iconic sneaking suit, bandana or mullet you're left with a scarred dude with an eyepatch. To someone who didn't see the trailer or just not familiar with snake then that pic could've looked like the Punisher or Nick Fury.

I was mostly sayin' all that to help Cajun know who the great Snake is.

wonzo

Banned
Chuu2 DoF 6

chu2dof6.jpg

11/10. better than the main series

not sure how reducing it down to 'japan has no kids lol' is an explanation, but okay. Having siblings doesn't mean they'll "understand how utterly delusional the entire concept is," it just means the object of their fetishistic desires may just be the concept of siblings detached from their actual blood relations,
While technically possible, actually understanding it would certainly make the fetish much less likely, and that was my point.

or they might actually just want to fuck their own sisters.
Only a tiny fraction of a single percentage point of people would ever think this.

The ambivalence was definitely intentional in the first series of the anime. "We'll write the sibling dynamic just close enough to 'romantic' anime tropes to confuse the viewer about whether we're seriously doing the incest angle or just writing a show about awkward teenage nerds who model their behavior unconsciously on the nerd culture they absorb," basically. I don't know if that was accurate to the source material or not (and nor do I really care), but it sounds like they've given up the pretense now. Too bad.
The "ambivalence" was there to draw in people like you or cosmic who were willing to fool yourselves into thinking that the show might be something it wasn't... but no, the series always was there to be about incest. Season two may have made that more overt, but that was the main theme of the series from the beginning.

I can confirm that brother-sister incest is totally a legitimate fetish! I love that stuff. (Two brothers, no sisters here, so I guess I fit into the "can't properly understand how delusional the entire concept is" category.) Not that I was hoping for an incest end in this particular franchise, but that's more due to the fact that Kuroneko and Kyousuke make such a cute couple than anything else.

That sounds about right. The forbidden-fruit angle is definitely a part of it as well, but I think the biggest draw of the fetish is the idea of automatically having such an close relationship with a girl. Living under the same roof, the unparalleled intimacy of spending your whole lives together, inevitably getting to see each other in states of undress that would be scandalous in any other context...it's a pretty unique situation, really. Like osananajimi taken up to eleven. If it weren't for the biologically hard-coded mental blocks that stop it from happening in real life, it would be hard to imagine such a setup not escalating into something more.

Oh, and I second the Koi Kaze recommendation. Anyone who's not fundamentally opposed to incest shouldn't miss that series. It's absolutely beautiful.
Those hard-coded mental blocks exist for lots of very good reasons, of course.

Katanagatari 9

On the sword side of things, a fairly plain episode. One of the more reasonable opponents Shichika has faced (possibly the most reasonable of all), but unfortunately so set in her ways that she refuses to fight an unarmed man. Since Shichika's fighting style relies on being unarmed, he was decisively handicapped for most of the episode, and in fact was only able to win the battle at all due to
Togame distracting his opponent with a game of shogi
. It was nice to see that Shichika at least
got to show her his strength after the fact, defeating her conclusively once the sword and protective gear were out of the picture

The sword itself, too, was by far the most plain we have seen so far, to the point where the characters considered that its ordinariness could actually be its defining feature. An interesting paradox, to be sure, but again, not one that made for an awfully interesting episode in terms of action.

The lacklustre action in the episode was, however, made up for by Togame's growing paranoia that Shichika was spending "quality time" of a different sort with his latest enemy. Her rising jealousy through the episode was entertaining to watch, and culminated in
a passionate kiss that made even Shichika blush bright red. And that's no mean feat.

Oh, and the Maniwa finally tracked down one of the swords for themselves (took them long enough), but then promptly went on to
lose another of their number at the hands of Emonzaemon, who made some rather unsubtle but effective usage of another of the three remaining blades, this one in the shape of a pair of handguns. These Maniwa really do just keep dropping like flies.

At any rate, with
the Poison Blade
in the hands of the quickly dwindling Maniwa, and
the Flame Blade
in the hands of Emonzaemon and his mistress, that just leaves one remaining blade unaccounted for. The end of the journey draws ever closer...
Katanagatari is a very good series, one of my favorites of that year. If you haven't watched it before though, I'll be interested to see what you think of the last episode and a half...

Is Sword Art Online so bad its funny? Like could it work for a hatewatch or is it completely irredeemable?
I stopped even reading the anime threads for like a season and a half in part because of how annoying it was to have to read through (or try to skip over) all of the people talking about that disaster of a series... that wasn't the only reason, but it was one of them. So yeah, I at least hate it in concept, and the writing and story are atrocious as well, going by people who have watched more of it (it starts out as people-dying drama, but eventually turns into harem antics...).

It's the most-discussed anime of 2012 in AnimeGAF for a reason.
Ugh, don't remind me.

Just watch the two films, especially in lieu of the first season.
No, watch the first season first, then watch the movies. The first movie in particular would make very little sense if you don't watch the show first; it was a decently good movie, but it didn't do a great job of explaining itself to people who haven't watched the show. Plus the first season was pretty good!

You know what we need is more Dog Days. That show was okay and watchable.
I really liked the first couple of episodes of season two, but then the next couple weren't that great and I stopped watching... I wonder if it gets better again or not.

Slayers NEXT 13

So, out of curiosity, which is the more powerful spell in Slayers? Giga Slave, or Ragna Blade? Either way Lina is ridiculously OP at this point, and everyone seems to overlook that Shabranigdo got nixed by her. I mean, why would a Demon Dragon King be desperately trying to kill a girl who, you know, KILLED someone as powerful as his boss? Lina apparently has spells that summon the power of some kind of High Old God or something, so gee guys, can't you spell this out?

Also in this episode: Gourry asks Lina to consider his feelings! Amelia, voicing the voice of a thousand unheard shippers, is quick to squeal with glee over the entire thing.
Hah, don't expect THAT to ever go anywhere. In terms of romance, Slayers is shonen through and through.

A bit late but E3 hype scrambled my brain

Attack on Titan 10

Armin grows a pair and beings to realize his niche in team main characters. Next weeks episode should be pretty exciting.

Gargantia 10

Dat speech by Chamber, dat reveal at the end. This show just gets better and better

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 41
tumblr_moba75xBDd1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_moba75xBDd1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Easily the best two of the three. In episode, I think Shani is the best of them all, his personality, and voice when he gets all into battle there is really intense and adds a whole additional layer of fun to the fight. I kind of wish them for some success as I do want them to stay around. Otherwise, Im really liking all thats going on and how everything is falling into place to converge at this one colony here.
Natarle v Ramius Dominion v Archangel was rather interesting and quite intense as it just feels a lot is on the line. Friends against Friends unwilling to surrender now waging war through these difficult times, Natarle trying to prove that she is a good captain and what not and actually win with her excellent tactics to prove herself to and shut Azrael up, and then now Yzak/Dearka action going on too, while Kira/Athrun face off against Forbidden Gundam--It just seems so many of one of my favorite types of setups is going on at once that I just am enjoying it much. One thing that was odd was who was the genius that decided to board and send out the Kusanagi? What role does it even have, they should have just boarded the other vessels present instead of getting caught in that trap. And speaking of traps, the scene when Dominion appeared right behind Archangel and Ramius hair was flying behind her and she was so in shock was priceless
. Good. I kind of really want more Seed if this keeps up, I hope Destiny is comparable.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 41
tumblr_moba75xBDd1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_moba75xBDd1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Easily the best two of the three. In episode, I think Shani is the best of them all, his personality, and voice when he gets all into battle there is really intense and adds a whole additional layer of fun to the fight. I kind of wish them for some success as I do want them to stay around. Otherwise, Im really liking all thats going on and how everything is falling into place to converge at this one colony here. .........
Good. I kind of really want more Seed if this keeps up, I hope Destiny is comparable.

I consider myself a Gundam fan, Destiny is garbage.

CorvoSol

I kind of really want more Seed if this keeps up, I hope Destiny is comparable.

I really liked the
Archangel vs. Dominion fights. Some of the best parts of SEED for me.
That said, while I think you might enjoy Destiny, I still don't think you'll like it more than SEED. Just do me a favor and don't like Stella.

Garbage is being a bit too kind, isn't it?

When you're too mean about Gundam series, people get pissy with you. I learned this.

Godannar 15

Poor, poor Anna. Girl's in over her head here. For starters she should've left her damn cats at home. That said, the most painful part of this entire experience has been watching Goh's brother trying to white knight Anna the whole. damn. time.

Oh, and the Godannar's red form is super sweet. Freaking fire hair is always a cool thing.

CorvoSol

High School of the Dead 10

At least now we know why Takagi is such a bitch. Also, bringing a zombie into the compound seems like a hilariously bad idea. And while I agree that electricity is only running because of that stuff, getting clean water onto the compound isn't going to be that hard, really. Not with the numbers they've got here. Food is the real question.

That said, I don't know that I think its a good idea for the group to head out yet. In fact it seems like a baaaad idea. Apparently, firing a rifle atop waterbed breasts causes them to hurt a lot later.

Kinda glad the show brings up that Japanese swords wouldn't be that great for hewing people in twain, but also glad that they bothered to handwave it in favor of awesome.

Mature

Birdy the Mighty: Decode - 1
Lots of good stuff!

To start, I love the characters— their design and their personalities seem very likable. Birdy especially. I started with the dub (given the option, i'll opt to hear my own language if it's good) and I'm liking the casting a lot so far. The production quality seems consistent enough. The animation has a refreshing wealth of energy. Characters are hardly ever moving in a generic and predictable way and that stands out. The action scenes were impressive, and admittedly, were the reason I gave this show a chance in the first place. Not only are they great to look at, but from a standpoint of choreography, they're unconventional, and unique as a result. Some of the backgrounds were a bit harsh on the eyes. Perhaps it was the shading or lack thereof. It didn't bring down the work, but it was jarring at times. The CG in the very beginning, while short, was ugly. Hopefully that's gone.

Not sure what to think of the story so far, but it has potential. Seems a bit like a Men in Black type of scenario. I hope it takes a distinct approach.

Lots of good stuff!

To start, I love the characters— their design and their personalities seem very likable. Birdy especially. I started with the dub (given the option, i'll opt to hear my own language if it's good) and I'm liking the casting a lot so far. The production quality seems consistent enough. The animation has a refreshing wealth of energy. Characters are hardly ever moving in a generic and predictable way and that stands out. The action scenes were impressive, and admittedly, were the reason I gave this show a chance in the first place. Not only are they great to look at, but from a standpoint of choreography, they're unconventional, and unique as a result. Some of the backgrounds were a bit harsh on the eyes. Perhaps it was the shading or lack thereof. It didn't bring down the work, but it was jarring at times. The CG in the very beginning, while short, was ugly. Hopefully that's gone.

Not sure what to think of the story so far, but it has potential. Seems a bit like a Men in Black type of scenario. I hope it takes a distinct approach.

It's a good series with great animation that still holds up to this day.

Read or Die TV 1-15

THE PAPPUUUH. This show is still good even after all these years.

Syrinx

I was considering watching an episode of CCS before bed, but this Bruins-Blackhawks game is going to the wee hours of the night.

Tomorrow, I suppose.

Cardcaptor Sakura 40

About as good as most other episodes, plus it had Shaoran learning that he
loves the Sakura in THAT sort of way, which makes this the only normal relationship in this series!
. This was also an episode that kept strongly foreshadowing what I'm sure is the endgame of the show, which is certainly far off if that's in fact what it is.

Kaiji 3

Intense Rock Paper Scissors fight continue using the power of theories and the blind spots behind the theories, as Kaiji finally turned the tables to get his stars back. But that leaves me to wonder what exactly are they going to do now.

I consider myself a Gundam fan, Destiny is garbage.

No question about it ..
Destiny has an "ok" start , the most impressive nonsense as a middle , a third part where there is the most pathetic fight in the gundam seed universe and the most WTF ending ever.

While it's possible that one might enjoy Destiny , Seed is the superior product and destiny should be thought as nothing but a bad fanfic with pacing issues.

Mushibugyo 10

This is the part in every good shounen where it exits the category of "just amusing" and "has potential" and enters the category of "legitimately worth watching/reading". The part where it hits its first stride, where mentioning anything prior will lead people to say "just wait until ____".

Thankfully, it had some superb animation and choreography to accompany this dramatic increase in quality and scale. Really fast-paced episode with some great developments, great action, and greatness all around.

If the rest of the show can keep up this quality, this could very well be in my top 10 for the year, despite the generic start.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad: After Story 13

So how is Akio gonna respond to this whole
marriage proposal thing
? Answer: LIKE THE BOSS HE IS

oh man, Nagisa what a lightweight, but so fucking adorable.

Akio, I fucking love you man. Goddamn.

So she get's sick during every winter huh? That's not a good pattern. Hard feels are a-coming.

Ah yeah, the gang is back together
except for Fuko :/
. It's been awhile!

Okay that's a cute ending and all
BUT NO WEDDING CEREMONY? FUCK YOU.

BIG spoiler but such an awesome image, Shinkai eat your heart out

CorvoSol

The final battle in Destiny is so lopsided you would think the "good guys" were on the other side.

You can't even put it in quotes. Kira is always right. Indisputably. If you have a legitimate point at which Kira was wrong, you're wrong, because Kira is never, ever wrong. He's goddamn Jesus Yamato, and he slept with Lacus for your Mecha sins.

Kira is the Son of the God of Mecha. I saw this in a vision. The God of Mecha also looks like Master Asia, but his right hand is all Gundams, and his left is the entire Macross franchise.

Now join me in saying the Yamato's Prayer:

Our Kira, Who Art in Lacus' Pants,
Hallowed Be Thy Newtype Skills

Lucky Star 18

dBAxPWXl.jpg

References!

I like the new characters and another amazing ED.

Oh man it's the Arbalest!!

Branduil

Lots of good stuff!

The backgrounds are weird in the first season and all use that cheap-looking filter. They improve in the second season.

zeroshiki

You can't even put it in quotes. Kira is always right. Indisputably. If you have a legitimate point at which Kira was wrong, you're wrong, because Kira is never, ever wrong. He's goddamn Jesus Yamato, and he slept with Lacus for your Mecha sins.

Kira is the Son of the God of Mecha. I saw this in a vision. The God of Mecha also looks like Master Asia, but his right hand is all Gundams, and his left is the entire Macross franchise.

Now join me in saying the Yamato's Prayer:

Our Kira, Who Art in Lacus' Pants,
Hallowed Be Thy Newtype Skills

Oh man it's the Arbalest!!

You just reminded me that Kira is also some kind of a Newtype :lolololol

Sunrise basically made Kira the most imbalanced character ever.

cajunator

Banned
try the 3DS XL first before giving the other one away to avoid any buyer's remorse

Why would I have buyers remorse? Is there something different about 3ds xl?

It's a good series with great animation that still holds up to this day.

Read or Die TV 1-15

THE PAPPUUUH. This show is still good even after all these years.

Damn straight! Love how it ties into the OVA.
However OVA Yomiko >>>>> Tv Yomiko.

CorvoSol

You just reminded me that Kira is also some kind of a Newtype :lolololol

Sunrise basically made Kira the most imbalanced character ever.

Well, yeah. Not only does Kira pilot the Freedom with its nuclear reactor and infinite energy supply, as well as its ridiculously OP arsenal that they somehow manage to upgrade for the Strike Freedom, but he is a SEED bearer,
The Ultimate Coordinator
and also a bonafide Newtype in a series that only has 3 Newtypes
four if you count Ray, even though he is a clone of Rau who is a clone of Mu's father.

And if all of this wasn't enough, he's wrong-proof and has sex with both of his best friends' girlfriends. Both of whom fall into True Love with him.

Kira Yamato is beyond the scope of you mere mortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom