• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Sell special editions to nerds, give up on everyone else and assume they're pirates. I assume this is the model that works in Japan as well. It certainly works for HBO. lol

Although of course the difference between Aniplex and, say, Honneamise was that Honneamise would release thousands upon thousands of super-deluxe special editions for works people don't care about, like Patlabor, long after those works had aired. Aniplex sells a small number of special editions for extremely popular and recent works.

Jex

Ojamajo Doremi # 1

DViBRv7.jpg

(Satou face)

Ok, due to certain plot reasons after spoiling myself some, it's taken me a long time to be willing to start this continuation, basically over a whole year. It starts with what might be considered a shark jump, some downgrades to plastic shit, and some other style changes I'm not entirely fond of, but in the end the Doremi cast is still around so it deserves a fair shot. After my sojourn in Precure-land I'm especially in the mood now to forgive this show for any shortcomings as long as it can deliver good episodes like it did in the excellent first series. So far so good.
From my (limited) experience with Doremi Sharp/#, which amounts to five episodes at present, it seems to be basically more Doremi, which is generally a good thing. The fifth episode didn't seem quite as well directed or animated as usual but that could just be a blip.

Also, BABIES LOOK AFTER BABIES is a pretty terrible story hook for your entire show but they handle it in the least-bad way possible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Although of course the difference between Aniplex and, say, Honneamise was that Honneamise would release thousands upon thousands of super-deluxe special editions for works people don't care about, like Patlabor, long after those works had aired. Aniplex sells a small number of special editions for extremely popular and recent works.
Sure, you make money off of the hits. What I find interesting is that they've experimented so many times - first with re-releases of Japanese editions, then with DVD only, then their fake-limited-time-only release of Baccano, then with their tiered release of Madoka, then their pseudo-premium release of Bakemono, and now somewhere in between with 80 dollar releases of SAO in four parts... they seem to be trying to find the limit of what nerds will pay. I bet they wish they could do the 60 dollars for 2 episodes model, but I guess people have their limits. :p

Sure, you make money off of the hits. What I find interesting is that they've experimented so many times - first with re-releases of Japanese editions, then with DVD only, then their fake-limited-time-only release of Baccano, then with their tiered release of Madoka, then their pseudo-premium release of Bakemono, and now somewhere in between with 80 dollar releases of SAO in four parts... they seem to be trying to find the limit of what nerds will pay. I bet they wish they could do the 60 dollars for 2 episodes model, but I guess people have their limits. :p

They only need to find that mega hit they been looking for and then the sequel to that.

Jex

What's funny about that, from my perspective, is that on this side of the Atlantic we got releases like Madoka on BD for a steal, at about $40.

Jex

The problem is that the stuff that might have mainstream appeal gets tapped to be turned into live action dramas instead. lol

More over, everyone (that magical everyone that only exists within comments on the internet) knows that the way that you got a mainstream hit was to have a series with broad appeal like Dragonball Z, or Gundam Wing, or Sailor Moon, air on TV in a slot where kids would see it as soon as they got back from school and that model certainly doesn't exist anymore. More over, those success stories were created in a time when you had far fewer entertainment choices and so all the kids really would be watching those TV channels, which clearly isn't the case these days.

I think it's safe to say that we are unlikely to find any anime becoming a mainstream hit in this day and age.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
More over, everyone (that magical everyone that only exists within comments on the internet) knows that the way that you got a mainstream hit was to have a series with broad appeal like Dragonball Z, or Gundam Wing, or Sailor Moon, air on TV in a slot where kids would see it as soon as they got back from school and that model certainly doesn't exist anymore. More over, those success stories were created in a time when you had far fewer entertainment choices and so all the kids really would be watching those TV channels, which clearly isn't the case these days.

I think it's safe to say that we are unlikely to find any anime becoming a mainstream hit in this day and age.

Well, there's always shounen I suppose.

Sell special editions to nerds, give up on everyone else and assume they're pirates. I assume this is the model that works in Japan as well. It certainly works for HBO. lol

But they're not assuming everyone else are pirates. These shows are legally streaming for free online. Is that really such a hard concept for people to grasp?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But they're not assuming everyone else are pirates. These shows are legally streaming for free online. Is that really such a hard concept for people to grasp?
Which is the same as giving it away though. To them, if you're not willing to pay 80 dollars * 4 box sets for SAO, you basically aren't worth having as a customer. But there's nothing wrong with that. In the same way, HBO is directly appealing to people who can afford to have HBO or buy their expensive box sets. My understanding is that HBO Go is sharable, so people are just passing HBO Go passwords around. They know they're not going to make any money off of those people anyway, so why bother releasing their products for a lower price?

Did anyone at Toei ever read the Doremi scripts? You've got divorce, spousal abuse, alcoholism, abandonment issues, manipulative parents, IDOL CULTURE, death, illness and suicide.

Well, this is the same company that made Digimon Tamers (and really the whole Digimon franchise in general). Toei's seems to have no problems with including such material in their kids shows.

Which is the same as giving it away though. To them, if you're not willing to pay 80 dollars * 4 box sets for SAO, you basically aren't worth having as a customer. But there's nothing wrong with that. In the same way, HBO is directly appealing to people who can afford to have HBO or buy their expensive box sets. My understanding is that HBO Go is sharable, so people are just passing HBO Go passwords around. They know they're not going to make any money off of those people anyway, so why bother releasing their products for a lower price?

Yeah, it's not like streaming websites make ad revenue and subscription revenue which they then use to pay the companies they're licensing the material from (or make it directly in the case of FUNimation or Viz's streaming sites).

They're still making money off of people watching the streams, even if they aren't directly paying for it (although some might be, in terms of having premium accounts for those services). Plus, they function as ads for the home video releases. It's not really any different than airing the show on TV in that regard. They make some money from it, and it also functions as an ad for the home video release.

jbug617

Banned
Here is the quote about SAO French release.

I just realized that Sword Art Online was coming out in France on July 5th, right in time to sell it in droves at Paris' Japan Expo.

And lo' and behold, they get a 6-discs box edition of the 14 first episodes with 2 BD, 3 DVDs + 1 bonus content DVD and a 50 pages artbook for... 50 bucks. That looks awfully cheap for me. I remember how everyone cried bloody murder when publishers charged 40 bucks for a 8-9 episode DVD-only set (that I thought, was a totally okay price).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
tbh I'm more excited when I hear that a manga is getting a drama instead of an anime :lol
At least it will be quite different and unique! Animes are often just the manga w/colours and VA.

The problem is that, if you watch any western produced television, the drop in production values is just way too noticeable. When Canadian TV looks better than Japanese TV, you know there's a problem somewhere. :(

Kurita

The problem is that, if you watch any western produced television, the drop in production values is just way too noticeable. When Canadian TV looks better than Japanese TV, you know there's a problem somewhere. :(

Oh yeah, most of Japanese TV looks cheap as hell. But I don't know... I still love Japanese TV for this reason, it's weird. It feels more... "authentic"? Or it's just so bad it's good. :lol :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's not like streaming websites make ad revenue and subscription revenue which they then use to pay the companies they're licensing the material from (or make it directly in the case of FUNimation or Viz's streaming sites).
Funimation and Viz probably get their streaming licenses along with their physical release licenses, as does Sentai and TAN.

The Crunchyroll guys have gone on record that they spend the least amount of money possible to get the most number of shows possible. The money that Aniplex got from CR streaming SAO or SAO airing on Toonami is, like late night anime in Japan, nothing compared to what they'd probably make selling the box sets to the people who want to own it.

Oh yeah, most of Japanese TV looks cheap as hell. But I don't know... I still love Japanese TV for this reason, it's weird. It feels more... authentic? :lol :lol
Well, I will admit that there's a certain amount of charm to how quaint their movies and television shows can look. The live action adaptation of MariMite is something else.

Animes are often just the manga w/colours and VA.

There are some cases like that but I don't think it's the majority of adaptations. Most adaptations provide a distinctly different experience from the manga, for better or worse, either by changing the actual events or by simply a different way of execution. For instance, in Flowers of Evil the events are pretty much exactly the same as they are in the manga, but the direction creates an entirely different atmosphere.

cnet128

Banned
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge 12

I think Crime Edge is a pretty cool guy. He
tortures lolis
and doesn't afraid of anything.

Theonik

Now this I can get behind. It's not like you'd need a subtitled release either!

So, now someone has to get around to releasing Beautiful Dreamer, right?
Wasn't there a planned release for the Urusei Yatsura series a while back? I'd guess Beautiful Dreamer is part of that plan. Also is it watchable without having seen the series besides the first 2 episodes?

I had a really bad idea for Theonik's avatar the other day:
bring back animated gives and make it twerk.
It can still be done in APNG even today but then I would be banned.

I haven't been able to concentrate on anything but Theonik's avatar the past few pages. It's sort of tearing me apart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

I'll take this as a compliment.
You've done good! If only the pixiv gods agreed.

There are some cases like that but I don't think it's the majority of adaptations. Most adaptations provide a distinctly different experience from the manga, for better or worse, either by changing the actual events or by simply a different way of execution. For instance, in Flowers of Evil the events are pretty much exactly the same as they are in the manga, but the direction creates an entirely different atmosphere.

I'd use the term "a lot" rather than "most".

Syrinx

The Rose of Versailles 5

Show needs to focus less on the rivalry between Marie Antoinette and Madame Du Barry and more on the Duke of Orleans. Guy is one ruthless motherfucker. He's gonna try and pull some cunning shit, and Oscar will have to stop him, and it will be way more interesting than, "She won't talk to me! Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!"

That said, the fact that that cunt got her way for now does bother me. She should die a horrible death.

Also, I'm not much of a history dude, but from what I understand, not everyone in Paris cared about this petty feud. I think most people were concerned about just getting food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom