• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_i

Oreimo 7

Those two are such good friends.

And I have to agree with all of Kuro's complaints about Kirino's anime. That thing looked putrid and would be painful for me if I had to watch it.

Is this a Japanese cultural thing that all good friends fight? I see this all the time in anime. "Oh, those two fight all the time. They must be good friends."

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 16

A pretty standard episode. Naruto Kenta thinks he hears his parents talking about how they want him to inherit the family business. (The "obviously a misunderstanding" levels are over 9000.) This gets him all depressed, because he has a dream of his own to become a comedian, and now he'll have to give up on it.

Which leads to an episode of people discussing dreams and how you should never give up on them. Mai's big bro tells them about his own dream to become an astronaut. Kaoru and Michiru, of course, express keen interest since the idea of chasing after dreams is completely alien to them. Even Dorodoron gets in on the fun, revealing that his dream is to become Akudaikaan's right-hand man. And the final inspiration for Naruto Kenta comes from watching Saki at softball practice, where she never gives up no matter how tough things get.

So in the end, Naruto Kenta comes straight out and tells his parents that he doesn't think he'll be able to take up the family business. Naturally, it turns out that his parents weren't talking about that at all - they just want Naruto Kenta to look after the shop this coming weekend when they'll be busy with other stuff.

So everything's good in the end! Except Naruto Kenta's jokes. Those are just bad.

Get used to Kenta, he's like the worst part of Splash Star.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I find it interesting that they've ditched DVD entirely now. Or at least they are with YuruYuri Lilies in the Field or whatever it's called.

Don't people still like him?

NISA sells mainly to collectors and they know they want bluray. Dvd was probably to stay safe while testing the market.

Metrotab

Banned
Finals are over! Now my timetable is finally free to be filled with meaningful activities such as playing videogames and watching anime. Time to burn those lab notes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oreimo 7

Those two are such good friends.

And I have to agree with all of Kuro's complaints about Kirino's anime. That thing looked putrid and would be painful for me if I had to watch it.

Kuro's got better taste in everything
except men. >>;

Nafe

I bought my PS3 because of Street Fighter 4.

Only about a year later and Super Street Fighter 4 was released...

Should have been Arcana Heart 3 ;)

It didn't even star Captain Falcon, so it was useless!

I didn't even remember he wasn't in the anime. I don't really remember any of the story honestly.

To be honest, you're not really missing much with the Gamecube games.

Adventures shouldn't have even been a Star Fox game. Plus it was bad, so bad.

Assault was better by a lot. But the parts where you had pilots out of their ships with guns were kinda poorly made. Not bad imo, but not great.

(Command for the DS was kinda fun too, but the writing was atrocious and considering that was the most recent "new" Star Fox game, I don't have my hopes up.)

OK, that just reinforces what I've read where most people thought they were just okay or not very good. Some mentioned the flying segments that were similar to the original games were good but the on foot parts weren't.

Full AX cabinet > GX

I never got a chance to try the AX arcade version. At least you could still unlock the tracks and racers on the console version. Now it would probably be all paid DLC only instead. :(

Poor Canada. Only good things you can find there are the band Metric and Scott Pilgrim.

While probably unintentional this kind of feels like a slight against firehawk, haha.

Yo, nafe, your avatar ... wut?
I like it.

Haha, wut, what?
I like it too. :)

Dresden

So, the other upcoming Bones show is a robot anime for kids: http://tenkaiknights.com/

KFkQzib.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hataraku Maou-sama! 12:

Hataraku12_3_zpsb64fa6df.jpg

Best girl kicks more ass than Emi ever could

Yeah, we get it, he's evil. Unfortunately they try a little too hard here, we already know he's fucked up you don't need to add that sort of emphasis on it. Just sorta unnecessary. Otherwise a fun episode. The conclusion wasn't as good as the end of the last arc but it was still enjoyable and fun to watch, with a few interspersed gags to keep things going.

Also, hair-down Suzuno > side pony-tail Suzuno.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Episode 11
tumblr_mopuyuc4n81qbxqfpo1_500.png

Third tier getting a good moment in that play and the practice before was a good part of the episode. I was excited. ANyway outside of that the clubroom moments were so memorable, Hikki's slogan moment (One for all with Hayama, always he and Hayama and their differing views and what not consistently amaze me, so entertaining) and then the one with him trying to indicate the chairmans performance. I cant wait to see resolution.

Nafe

Didn't mind!

Yeah, you pretty much know you're getting into that with fighting games. Especially these days. UMvC3 seemed a bit much though. It was only, what, eight or nine months after MvC3?

All I really know about either is from watching EVO and some "Road to EVO" tournaments, haha.

Assault was better by a lot. But the parts where you had pilots out of their ships with guns were kinda poorly made. Not bad imo, but not great.

I honestly feel that those on-land parts were underrated. The control felt a bit weird at first yeah, but after a couple playthroughs, I ended up getting used to it. Maybe the reason people didn't like it was because the game was really short, and they probably didn't get used to it by the end.

The controls on land weren't perfect, but they sure as hell weren't as horrible as everybody makes them out to be.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
MJP 12

What the fuck did I just watch. That was the biggest piece of trash, fucking piece of shit, absolutely horrendous mix of garbage I've seen in anime in the past... fucking forever. Holy shit that was fucking stupidly bad.

CorvoSol

MJP 12

What the fuck did I just watch. That was the biggest piece of trash, fucking piece of shit, absolutely horrendous mix of garbage I've seen in anime in the past... fucking forever. Holy shit that was fucking stupidly bad.

Oh boy am I excited for tonight's episode, then!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, you pretty much know you're getting into that with fighting games. Especially these days. UMvC3 seemed a bit much though. It was only, what, eight or nine months after MvC3?

All I really know about either is from watching EVO and some "Road to EVO" tournaments, haha.
I've been playing too much anime to be remotely competitive in games like SF or Marvel lately, but still going to enjoy the hell out of Evo.

jgminto

Hataraku Maou-sama 12

ibwSH3jo02uCzg.gif

Damn good stuff.

Last week was pretty lackluster but this was definitely a huge step up. The torture stuff was kind of weird and unnecessary but the action and comedy were fantastic. It really showcased the reasons why I love all these characters. Also plenty of Maou in his undies which is a nice bonus.

Final episode next week... ;_;

Tenumi

Banned
Lets Play! Suite Precure: 07

Today we meet an old man who has a thing for pipe organs, and uses the magical power of off-screen disappearance. I'm sure he'll never be plot relevant ever again...

e_i

Hataraku Maou-sama 12

ibwSH3jo02uCzg.gif

Damn good stuff.

Last week was pretty lackluster but this was definitely a huge step up. The torture stuff was kind of weird and unnecessary but the action and comedy were fantastic. It really showcased the reasons why I love all these characters. Also plenty of Maou in his undies which is a nice bonus.

Final episode next week... ;_;

Bwahahahahaha! Holy SHIT that looks awesome.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How is Demon Lord Dante not on the list? Have you guys never seen it? The plot makes no fucking sense and it has one of the worst dubs of all time, I wonder if the Japanese version makes any more sense or if it is just as much nonsense.

Watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqL-6tomRc

This show was dubbed in the year

Theonik

How is Demon Lord Dante not on the list? Have you guys never seen it? The plot makes no fucking sense and it has one of the worst dubs of all time, I wonder if the Japanese version makes any more sense or if it is just as much nonsense.

Watch this

I added it as a suggestion on my version of the list but it will stay there till people confirm its list status.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Watch this

I saw the Japanese version, and while it was more amusing than it should have been, I don't know if it really rises to that level. Maybe I need to check out the dub!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just read this plot description

Spoilers, they are so fucking dumb anyways

As the story progresses, it is finally revealed that Ryo is actually an incarnation of Dante when he was human. It turned out that Sodom and Gomorrah were a futuristic utopia under the rule of Satan. However, God, an energy-based being came to Earth and demanded to use the people of Sodom as hosts for its power. When Satan and the people refuse to comply, God proceeds to use animals as vessels to destroy Sodom, an action that resulted in many of its occupants turned into their current demonic forms from being exposed to the residual energies. The survivors of Gomorrah, the last actual humans in existence, became the Satanists who allied themselves with the Demons to fight God who took residence in apes and jump-started their evolution into the current human race. Near the end of the conflict that followed, as Satan both sealed himself within another dimension, Dante transferred his human body and soul to Judas Iscariot and Ryo Utsugi respectively to keep fighting after he was sealed. With Ryo finally regaining his memories as Dante while in Sodom and Gomorrah, he teams up with the cultists and plans to finally take vengeance upon God for his sins while releasing Satan.

What the fuck

Nafe

I've been playing too much anime to be remotely competitive in games like SF or Marvel lately, but still going to enjoy the hell out of Evo.

While I like fighting games I've never really been that competitive at them. I'd like to learn the mechanics and get better but I'm more casual and for fun with friends.

I'm looking forward to EVO as well. Even whatever tournament it is again that's coming up on the last weekend of June. I'm also interested to see what kind of a reception Killer Instinct will get at EVO. Watching a couple demo videos with Ken Lobb and one or two of the other guys working on the game, it looks like it could be fun and interesting.

wonzo

Banned
Just read this plot description

Spoilers, they are so fucking dumb anyways

As the story progresses, it is finally revealed that Ryo is actually an incarnation of Dante when he was human. It turned out that Sodom and Gomorrah were a futuristic utopia under the rule of Satan. However, God, an energy-based being came to Earth and demanded to use the people of Sodom as hosts for its power. When Satan and the people refuse to comply, God proceeds to use animals as vessels to destroy Sodom, an action that resulted in many of its occupants turned into their current demonic forms from being exposed to the residual energies. The survivors of Gomorrah, the last actual humans in existence, became the Satanists who allied themselves with the Demons to fight God who took residence in apes and jump-started their evolution into the current human race. Near the end of the conflict that followed, as Satan both sealed himself within another dimension, Dante transferred his human body and soul to Judas Iscariot and Ryo Utsugi respectively to keep fighting after he was sealed. With Ryo finally regaining his memories as Dante while in Sodom and Gomorrah, he teams up with the cultists and plans to finally take vengeance upon God for his sins while releasing Satan.

What the fuck
I always knew God was a massive cunt.

Ah yes, the name was revealed somewhere a few weeks ago.

That mecha looks suspiciously CG...

People have to accept that 2D mechanical animation is, aside from extremely rare occasions, thing of the past. Especially if this ends up being a year-long toy promotion show, there's no way one of those wouldn't go with CG robots.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn part 3

I've been meaning to ask. Is it really Londo Bell, or should it be London Bell? And since the Argama is still in use, is that THE Hyaku Shiki, or just something that looks similar? Which colony drop are they talking about here? The one from before MSG? The one from Stardust Memory (LOL)? The one on the moon from Zeta? Or the one from ZZ? There's been a colony drop in just about every UC show so far. CCA's only diff was that Char was droppin' meteors instead of colonies.

This is a surprisingly well done scene about God or at least Hope. I don't usually expect this sort of thing from anime, let alone something like Gundam. Especially not after the abysmal way Gundam 00 handled the idea of God.

Haha, the names of the bars in this district are Black Three Stars, Red Comet, and Blade Spear. The first two are MSG Gundam references, the third I don't know.

Man, Gundam Unicorn is so damn good. This is seriously the best Gundam show I've seen outside G, like, ever. I don't know if it'll top ZZ as my favorite UC show, though.

CorvoSol

People have to accept that 2D mechanical animation is, aside from extremely rare occasions, thing of the past. Especially if this ends up being a year-long toy promotion show, there's no way one of those wouldn't go with CG robots.

Sounds like the entirety of Mecha has just reached a Bad End, then, because CG mecha are categorically shitty. I don't know if I could watch an entire Gundam show, or a new season of FMP with CG mecha, let alone a Super Robot show like Gun x Sword or GaoGaiGar.

CG is the worst thing that's ever happened to the genre. It ALWAYS looks awful. I cannot in good faith name a single CG mech that looks good.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
hahahaha omfg owhat what hawhat pappened omrfggon soikhaahahahah oholyh hshito hthat was sso funyy that whteh fuck?

zeroshiki

Sounds like the entirety of Mecha has just reached a Bad End, then, because CG mecha are categorically shitty. I don't know if I could watch an entire Gundam show, or a new season of FMP with CG mecha, let alone a Super Robot show like Gun x Sword or GaoGaiGar.

CG is the worst thing that's ever happened to the genre. It ALWAYS looks awful. I cannot in good faith name a single CG mech that looks good.

You don't like not knowing WTF that thing in Code Geass Agito is doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom