• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

People have to accept that 2D mechanical animation is, aside from extremely rare occasions, thing of the past. Especially if this ends up being a year-long toy promotion show, there's no way one of those wouldn't go with CG robots.
BONES were the chosen ones! Duckroll wouldn't let us down.

Sounds like the entirety of Mecha has just reached a Bad End, then, because CG mecha are categorically shitty. I don't know if I could watch an entire Gundam show, or a new season of FMP with CG mecha, let alone a Super Robot show like Gun x Sword or GaoGaiGar.

CG is the worst thing that's ever happened to the genre. It ALWAYS looks awful. I cannot in good faith name a single CG mech that looks good.

Personally I really like the work Orange does in Akito; I can't complain about that CG.

Otherwise, maybe if Japan gets into another war animators will once again become interested in drawing machines.

survivor

Banned
Sounds like the entirety of Mecha has just reached a Bad End, then, because CG mecha are categorically shitty. I don't know if I could watch an entire Gundam show, or a new season of FMP with CG mecha, let alone a Super Robot show like Gun x Sword or GaoGaiGar.

CG is the worst thing that's ever happened to the genre. It ALWAYS looks awful. I cannot in good faith name a single CG mech that looks good.

I agree with your last statement. Not that I watch any mecha shows, but all the ones that have their gifs/pics posted here look awful.

Majestic Prince Episode 12 – Secret Mission
tumblr_mopwpwWppP1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Felt like the type of episode that would be an ova...that fanservicy swimsuit thing there even. The car speeding scene looked rather interesting and made me laugh while the rest was just plain fun and sometimes even touching too. Could have used some plot advancement, but more time with our favorite characters not in deep action is always worthwhile. 13 looks like it will be a blast.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Valvrave 11

Note that my previous hilarity was in response to this episode. This episode was fairly standard mecha. I think the designs of the vvv is pretty shit but seeing them in action and rip shit up was fucking awesome. it was pretty fucking awesome. also, shoko started out awesome in my book but now she's sorta.... meh. completely opposite to how i feel about saki now. Haruto is shit still. L-Elf is a sneaky sneaze. Can't wait for episode 12. All according to keikaku. Also that purple valvrave gonna be piloted by shoko. probably.

CorvoSol

You don't like not knowing WTF that thing in Code Geass Agito is doing?

I haven't watched this yet. Knowing there's a CG mech makes me wonder if I should.

Even among the three CG mech shows I'm watching this season, MJP, VVV, and Gargantia, none of the mechs are good. MJP's just aren't. VVV's are overdesigned as hell, and while Chamber is a wonderful character, he's nothing to write home about as a mech.

kayos90

The Alexander is a very cool mecha. I like how it looks and how it moves. It's pretty awesome. Better than the shit that is the Albion or SEITAN or whatever fuck they call it.

CorvoSol

The Alexander is a very cool mecha. I like how it looks and how it moves. It's pretty awesome. Better than the shit that is the Albion or SEITAN or whatever fuck they call it.

Problem with those mechs was the wings. Adding wings to the Lancelot and Guren just didn't work.

kayos90

You know... I think that the avatar girl in VVV is like the representation of the audience. It has to be. Like... every response and some crazy shit. It's like the creators are totally fucking with us here. They're totally messing with our minds.

zeroshiki

This could be more an issue with the direction more than anything but I barely had any idea what that mech was doing during the battle scenes. Its like watching a Michael Bay action scene! I knew it was beating up on the enemies but I wasn't sure HOW.

Also, shut your mouth, the Lancelot Albion and Guren Seitenhakkyokushiki both look cool in SRW and that's all that matters.

wonzo

Banned
Hataraku Maou-sama! 09 - 11

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that
they're going to reveal that Maou was never actually evil. It's always a little awkward when they bring up the fact that he killed thousands of people and such; it's like if Hitler moved in next door and then he turned out to be a nice guy. It might hard to just let that slide. Early in the show Chi asks when why he did all those things and he says something like "I just never really thought about it" and in the most recent episode Chi asks Emi and Suzuno if they knew him before he became King Satan, and they get kinda confused and say that they didn't.

Based on everything that's happen, and the fact that Church is all super-shady and killing people, I'm getting the impression that maybe the Church brain-washed or mind controlled Maou into becoming King Satan; that he was basically a pawn that they recruited just like Emi. They could use him to start a war and then use that as an excuse to essentially take over everything. And then once the war was over, they'd take credit for saving everyone.
My theory is
he started out as someone with Noble intentions and yet was inevitably corrupted but the newfound power & influence and ended up turning into the DEMON HITLER that everyone else knows him as.

Reservations and concerns about Aniplex of America's pricing strategies aside, it would at least be nice if we could wait until after they reveal home release details (several months from now) to begin bitching about it.
Or people can continue to make well educated guesses about the pricing/packaging/quality of a publishers release and use that as a basis for some good discussion?

Another AnimeGAF cult classic arrives in the high definition era.

Angel's Egg, coming to Blu-ray on August 21.
OMG

zeroshiki

I fear we'll be making this sort of post more and more as time goes on and these last bastions begin to dry up.

When even Hosoda has betrayed us (not that he ever gave us any reason to believe he wouldn't use CG) the fact that Miyazaki is backwards as shit actually WORKS in our favor this time. As long as he is alive and/or people want to respect his wishes, Ghibli will stand above the rest and still draw their stupid cars.

7Th

Valvrave 11

Note that my previous hilarity was in response to this episode. This episode was fairly standard mecha. I think the designs of the vvv is pretty shit but seeing them in action and rip shit up was fucking awesome. it was pretty fucking awesome. also, shoko started out awesome in my book but now she's sorta.... meh. completely opposite to how i feel about saki now. Haruto is shit still. L-Elf is a sneaky sneaze. Can't wait for episode 12. All according to keikaku. Also that purple valvrave gonna be piloted by shoko. probably.

C'mon, Kayos; the pilot of the purple VVV should be obvious after this episode. The one character that FEELS important but hasn't done anything relevant in the entire show so far.

kayos90

C'mon, Kayos; the pilot of the purple VVV should be obvious after this episode. The one character that FEELS important but hasn't done anything relevant in the entire show so far.

The Stuco president? Kagari thinks it's gonna be the NEET. I think it's gonna be Shoko. Do we have any takers?

• Gunslinger Girl 01
Holy shit at that OP. Sounds so good. You've already got me, creators of this show.

...but then I'm greeted by early 2000's chunky character designs. Shmehhhh

Articalys

Or people can continue to make well educated guesses about the pricing/packaging/quality of a publishers release and use that as a basis for some good discussion?
I was trying to refer to complaints directly about the price of the eventual Silver Spoon/SxS NA releases, not the discussion about the model in general.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just read this plot description

Spoilers, they are so fucking dumb anyways

As the story progresses, it is finally revealed that Ryo is actually an incarnation of Dante when he was human. It turned out that Sodom and Gomorrah were a futuristic utopia under the rule of Satan. However, God, an energy-based being came to Earth and demanded to use the people of Sodom as hosts for its power. When Satan and the people refuse to comply, God proceeds to use animals as vessels to destroy Sodom, an action that resulted in many of its occupants turned into their current demonic forms from being exposed to the residual energies. The survivors of Gomorrah, the last actual humans in existence, became the Satanists who allied themselves with the Demons to fight God who took residence in apes and jump-started their evolution into the current human race. Near the end of the conflict that followed, as Satan both sealed himself within another dimension, Dante transferred his human body and soul to Judas Iscariot and Ryo Utsugi respectively to keep fighting after he was sealed. With Ryo finally regaining his memories as Dante while in Sodom and Gomorrah, he teams up with the cultists and plans to finally take vengeance upon God for his sins while releasing Satan.

What the fuck
You left out the best part.

While I like fighting games I've never really been that competitive at them. I'd like to learn the mechanics and get better but I'm more casual and for fun with friends.
Playing games like Aquapazza kind of force me into that latter category because it's not like I'm going to enter an actual bracket for it anytime soon.

Shergal

Oh I missed the OP this week. BRB.

EDIT: There was nothing new there. Did I miss something?

Akira has been the prime candidate since the VVVs were revealed, going by the OP.

I also think it's going to be her. She has a distinct enough design to not be relevant in the show.

kayos90

Yeah as soon as pilot 3 and 4 were revealed I went back to watching the opening and went "well 5 dollars down on her... what's her name again"

I don't want that NEET piloting that shit. Laaaaaaaaaaaame. I hope she pilots that next episode and gets roflpwnt and dies immediately after.

Nah. I'd laugh if Shoko pilots it cuz of Haruto flipping shit and Saki flipping shit. The VVV avatar girl would be like "Is this murder?" when they have a fight.

The only good thing that could come of Shoko becoming a Valvrave pilot is it could lead to a scene of Haruto going vampire crazy and attacking both her and Saki...

She is a better character than THUNDER, to be honest.

That's not much of a bar to pass though

Valvrave 11

Thankfully the show doesn't use the end of the last episode to get all serious on us and it's back to being Valvrave, ie funny nonsense.
L-Elf checking his gun, Shoko's dad, L-Elf getting tricked, marriage proposals.
Quality material.

I don't care who the last Valrave pilot is, unless it's Shoko they are going to be as irrelevant as Thunder and that other dude.

kayos90

Valvrave 11

Thankfully the show doesn't use the end of the last episode to get all serious on us and it's back to being Valvrave, ie funny nonsense.
L-Elf checking his gun, Shoko's dad, L-Elf getting trick, marriage proposals.
Quality material.

You don't know that L-Elf didn't see that surprise buttsex coming though. He just didn't write it in the script he gave to stuco pres. For all we know, he knows that shit is coming.

maou 12

fun eps. fights happen. weirdly awkward but cute and adorable scenes happen too. The fights in this really does remind me of Man of Steel fights in the way camera moves and how everyone seems to love blasting at each other super fast.

ibysFlnBV2hQgQ.gif

<3

You don't know that L-Elf didn't see that surprise buttsex coming though. He just didn't write it in the script he gave to stuco pres. For all we know, he knows that shit is coming.
I'm sure either it was all part of the plan, or L-Elf will outsmart everyone in a different way.

Poor Shoko though.
Her father dies, L-Elf was preparing to kill her. Hopefully next episode she'll confess to Haruto only to find out he's engaged to Saki, then her suffering will be complete.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's not really a spoiler.
It is an unexpected moment in the show's climactic fight but sure, think what you want.

Maybe the only real spoiler for the episode is that Maou-sama reaches SAO levels of sexism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom