• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamerlane

Banned
I watched Shiawasette Naani and thought that it was a short, charming OVA until I found out it was produced by some cult shit? The fuck? 2 out of 10 on the MAL spectrum, don't even care if my bellcurve suffers

survivor

Banned
Yeah, it's accurate. Wounded Man has the titular character raping some girl who falls in love with him. Crying Freeman sleeps with like anything female and they fall in love with him. Mad Bull makes sure to get a strong female character raped. It's surprisingly subverted in Offered though.

I didn't even realize he was the Lone Wolf & Cub guy until after the fact and wondered when he went crazy.

The Anime World Order podcast has done a phenomenal job of touching upon Kazuo Koike's love of women getting raped (and loving it), his hatred of those evil feminists wanting to turn all women into man-hating lesbians (and the rape that cures them, oh the rapings) and even the odd bouts of racism.

http://www.awopodcast.com/2006/02/anime-world-order-show-7-kazuo-koike.html
:/ I don't feel compelled to check out his other stuff now. Well maybe Lone Wolf, but that's gonna take me a long time.

Nafe

Damn, Nafe's got nothing on this. A 14 month-old post!

Haha, it's not like I actually catalog everyone's posts.

How about my response to duckroll though at the end of this post back in February where I recall and link back to a post of his that's 22 months old?

While I didn't link to it and only posted the picture from it, the original post that contained that picture is a few weeks, maybe even another month, older.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I watched Shiawasette Naani and thought that it was a short, charming OVA until I found out it was produced by some cult shit? The fuck? 2 out of 10 on the MAL spectrum, don't even care if my bellcurve suffers
Shiawasette Naani is a Happy Science work.

Also, you have 10 spots on the rating system. Don't be afraid to use them!

Narag

Now you can move on the Hermes, Wings of Love. Happy Science shit just gets more absurd as it goes on.

wonzo

Banned
:/ I don't feel compelled to check out his other stuff now. Well maybe Lone Wolf, but that's gonna take me a long time.
FWIW Lone Wolf and Cub is supposedly the least Koike work of his sans some stuff towards the end or something.

Shiawasette Naani is a Happy Science work.
It's also one of KyoAni's first productions. Okawa knows talent when he sees it.

Valvrave 11

Am I a bad person after kind of getting a bit emotional over that whole hostage exchange? This show may not have the best writing, but I can usually empathize with that shit.

Other than that, I think this post sums up the episode nicely.

Syrinx

Haha, it's not like I actually catalog everyone's posts.

How about my response to duckroll though at the end of this post back in February where I recall and link back to a post of his that's 22 months old?

While I didn't link to it and only posted the picture from it, the original post that contained that picture is a few weeks, maybe even another month, older.
...Just how long did you lurk before you started posting?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Damn...

You know, we really shouldn't be so hard on GAF when it crashes every E3.
It wouldn't be as bad if the forum weren't on vbulletin/mysql, which doesn't scale, and on a custom solution instead, but that would take actual software development and the forum's gotten where it is by forcing every last bit of performance out of the code and throwing more server hardware at it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SNAFU END-1

That was a pretty great ending. I think this show has horrible animation, or lack thereof, but the story instantly makes it better. I'm willing to over look the visual flaws for what I consider to be one of the best school-life narratives I've read/watched in recent years. It's different and while it does adhere to some of the stereotypical tropey stuff, it's drowned out by philosophical, unique, and depressing material. It's a dark tale that's presented in a light manner to counterbalance it. I think it's a very shaky ground to tread but the show's pace of problems --> introduce hikigaya --> solve problem in a bad way --> cheery but sad ending is the general tone for the multiple arcs.

I'm sort of sad that they only took 12 episodes with this series. Sakurasou got 24 episodes to cover 4 volumes while this covered 6 volumes worth in merely 12 episodes. So much stuff got rushed and that disappoints me. Even the ending feels a bit rushed but all the essential messages and themes got across to me really well so I'm glad.

Best show of the season and easily my favorite show of the year so far.

Bonus episode next week. =D

zeroshiki

I remember the Team HanaIro vs Team AnoHana thing. You can play Geneijin for fanning those flames.

Funny how that whole thing turned out in the end.

cj_iwakura

Inu X Boku 6

Random watch, guilty pleasure.

That S/M guy is pure hilarity. I love the special end credits he got. The supernatural stuff is random as heck, though. Sometimes I think the show would be better without it.

duckroll

http://www.geass.jp/akito/index.html

Geass Akito Vol2 finally has an opening date in Japan - Sept 14. Wtf? That's not Summer. That's a year after Vol1 opened. Wtf is taking Sunrise so long with this? There are also new characters, mechs, and screens on the site for Vol2. There's a new IP-blocked trailer too. Thanks Bandai! :p

zeroshiki

AnoHana turned out to be such a Manu Ginobili.

Ginobli used to be a good player. AnoHana had, like, 1 good episode.

http://www.geass.jp/akito/index.html

Geass Akito Vol2 finally has an opening date in Japan - Sept 14. Wtf? That's not Summer. That's a year after Vol1 opened. Wtf is taking Sunrise so long with this? There are also new characters, mechs, and screens on the site for Vol2. There's a new IP-blocked trailer too. Thanks Bandai! :p

September is technically the last month of Summer for TV season purposes :p

Nafe

...Just how long did you lurk before you started posting?

I started reading the thread either at the end of February of 2011 or sometime in March around the end of the Winter 2011 OT. I started reading it consistently enough starting in the Spring thread.

I thought about joining the forum sometime in the summer when reading people's comments on shows like The Idolm@ster but then finding out about the wait times made me hesitate. Having to wait a few months I wasn't sure if I would still be interested enough to actually post and not just read.

In April of last year I decided that I did want to join. Three months later in mid July I was accepted, so I actually haven't even been a member for a year yet.

I remember the Team HanaIro vs Team AnoHana thing. You can play Geneijin for fanning those flames.

Funny how that whole thing turned out in the end.

Haha, I remember the kind of internal animegaf meme with duckroll and "cut them down!"

Now he's Sayaroll and protecting everyone.

Narag

nah man. everybody knows that the correct viewing order is Laws of Eternity -> Rebirth of Buddha -> Golden Laws -> Laws of the Sun -> Hermes: Winds of Love.

Hermes has that nice start before it turns into The Little Mermaid! Also Laws of the Sun should be last due to the startling revelations therein.

kewlmyc

Yahari - 12

Hachiman is a great MC. It's so rare to get MCs nowadays that don't feel like a self insert characters. Yet at the same time, it's depressing watching him screw over his life for the sake of others. It was nice to see his and Yuki's relationship develop over the course of the series. Can't wait till the extra episode since it's being written by the original author.

Sucks about all of the extra stuff that was cut from the original novels. They mostly deal with the side characters we barely hear anything about. It's also a shame that novel 7 won't get animated since the summaries I've heard of it sound fantastic. Oh well, hopefully the novels get translated or there's a second season in a few years when more novels are out (it's Brain's Base, I doubt we're getting a second season).

PS: I don't like Hayama. He feels really two faced.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I started reading the thread either at the end of February of 2011 or sometime in March around the end of the Winter 2011 OT. I started reading it consistently enough starting in the Spring thread.

I thought about joining the forum sometime in the summer when reading people's comments on shows like The Idolm@ster but then finding out about the wait times made me hesitate. Having to wait a few months I wasn't sure if I would still be interested enough to actually post and not just read.

In April of last year I decided that I did want to join. Three months later in mid July I was accepted, so I actually haven't even been a member for a year yet.
Ironic in hindsight!

Karneval 12

2PzQp9el.jpg

A very boring talky first half of the episode. A very actiony and exciting second part of the episode.

Completely unsure if this is anime original or not, but definitely got me interested to want to see the ending for this now. Also, all those colorful uniforms.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yahari - 12

Hachiman is a great MC. It's so rare to get MCs nowadays that don't feel like a self insert characters. Yet at the same time, it's depressing watching him screw over his life for the sake of others. It was nice to see his and Yuki's relationship develop over the course of the series. Can't wait till the extra episode since it's being written by the original author.

Sucks about all of the extra stuff that was cut from the original novels. They mostly deal with the side characters we barely hear anything about. It's also a shame that novel 7 won't get animated since the summaries I've heard of it sound fantastic. Oh well, hopefully the novels get translated or there's a second season in a few years when more novels are out.

PS: I don't like Hayama. He feels really two faced.

I actually think that Hayama is a genuinely nice guy. Despite being a person of high stature, he doesn't act like a pompous dirtbag. All those his choice of friends is questionable, I think his niceness rubs off on them and slowly changes them which is a stark contrast to how Hachiman handles things. It's really interesting.

zeroshiki

I blame Nafe for restarting this debate.

HanaIro's first 2 and last episodes are better than anything that came out for the whole 11 episode AnoHana run.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
When the show revealed
Ghost Writer
, that was a bridge too far for me and I completely lost interest.

That might be some of the worst rage that a single revelation has ever made me feel. That's really the only credit that I can give to AnoHana.

zeroshiki

Yeah but unless they're only screening it for one week, I don't think anyone would really consider it a Summer film. :p

Well if its like most of the other anime "movies", a week is all its getting!

(I actually don't know how long they showed the first one but it was probably not very long either)

Nafe

Ironic in hindsight!

Yeah, I ended up posting a lot more than I thought I would. Although I'm still usually around 50-60 posts at topics end.

I actually started reading NeoGaf for the gaming section and it was kind of a fluke that I found these threads. I actually found the Madoka OT first which made me keep looking to see what other anime shows people might be talking about.

I blame Nafe for restarting this debate.

HanaIro's first 2 and last episodes are better than anything that came out for the whole 11 episode AnoHana run.

Haha. There was no debate, only denial. HanaIro was always better.

Syrinx

Neither have I. You've been posting in this thread longer than I have.

Simultaneously a good and terrible decision. Introduced me to some great stuff I almost certainly wouldn't have watched otherwise...but goddamn it fuels my more unproductive tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom