• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Yes. I use the girl with the glasses.

some2lG.jpg
I would so play as Kat!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 2 24:
The tension for that second half of the episode was incredible.
I knew that Arata would win, but it was still really cool to see, especially as calm as he remained throughout the entire thing. That scene where he stole the card right from under Shinobu was crazy.
There were some really nice moments in the beginning for Taichi and Chihaya, too. Looking forward to seeing how everything wraps up. I hope that
Komano can win his match and make Class B.

I'm sad there won't be any more of this to watch in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they make a third season.

The manga is as infuriatingly slow and lethargically paced as the show, so it's only like 15 chapters ahead of where it will presumably end. So if they were every going to do another season, it'd probably be a couple of years from now.

/XX/

The last thing I read was that Ghibli actually disbanded their CG department. Now, I'm not saying Ghibli never uses CG but I have no doubt that for cars and other stuff, Miyazaki will not allow CG in his work.
Are we specifically talking about 3DCG elements like models? Because beyond digital photography and such, from information I've seen the staff involved in the creation of CGI for Studio Ghibli films is still internal staff, and some more recent films from Mr. Miyazaki himself as is Howl's Moving Castle featured really complex stuff done with aid of software like Softimage|XSI (now Autodesk Softimage):

Making Of El Castillo Vagabundo 1: - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7lQbtuzqr4

Making Of El Castillo Vagabundo 2: - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCQbkWCrik

Mitsunori Kataama (@ktmax4) was the first responsible of their CG department (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kcxf2dkaRks&list=PLBE71A94E8F092F37#t=75s), and although he now works at Polygon Pictures Inc., others from Studio Ghibli's own people like Norihiko Miyoshi are now public faces of the studio on these matters (http://school.dhw.co.jp/graduate/miyoshi/).

The Great Tōhoku Earthquake and the responsibilities it created on energy efficiency, and that they themselves wanted to atone for, limited their scope on this aspect for more recent works, though.

As I commented some time ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27173769&postcount=9558), Mr. Kataama's vision for works like Ghiblies and My Neighbors the Yamadas was spectacular!

x8r5p29.jpg

Never change Alciel

Hataraku Maou-sama! 12

That was a great episode.

Comedy hit all the right notes, action was pretty good, and there was even some genuine cute moments from Suzu, Chi, and Emi. Lucifer even had his own time to shine when he shoryuken Orba right in the jaw.

Beefcake Maou was once again a delight to see. He could have been a little nicer to poor Alciel and not have reduced him to tears though.

Hataraku Maou-sama! 12

That was a great episode.

Comedy hit all the right notes, action was pretty good, and there was even some genuine cute moments from Suzu, Chi, and Emi. Lucifer even had his own time to shine when he shoryuken Orba right in the jaw.

Beefcake Maou was once again a delight to see. He could have been a little nicer to poor Alciel and not have reduced him to tears though.

Reducing him to tears was one of the best parts though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Better writing, with a better protagonist who exists in a school with a bigger world view than a harem of girls. Haganai wishes that it could do the whole "isolated character" thing as interestingly as SNAFU.
Their priorities are completely separate to me. Haganai is comedy/harem shit with occasional bouts of flailing drama. Snafu is...I don't even know what. It pretends to be a harem show and carries many of the trappings and problems of one, but there is no relationship growth between characters. Snafu's is written in one of the most atrocious manners imaginable. Its themes are grating and overbearing, presented in droning self righteous monologues that are little more than word pile ups of world view nonsense. It is boring, abstract in the worst way, and lacks any sort of flow. Narrative beats are an afterthought, underwhelming in their own right but often times just a copy cat of dramatic moments from other harem type shows. There is nothing interesting about the main character of Snafu, and the show's attempts to drum up personality through his blandness fall super flat, as the character exists as the embodiment of some idiotic ideology instead of coming across as a person.

Haganai is a romantic comedy that completely flubs its romantic or serious portions. At least it still exists as something you can potentially derive comical enjoyment from. Snafu is pseudo-psychological garbage with no other hooks. There are so many useless and dull characters, loose plot ends, and awkward pacing that I cannot take Snafu seriously on any level. There is an immense ineptitude on display for how to handle dialogue that makes most scenes feel extremely fake, and the story at large does an atrocious job of connecting and weaving itself into a whole.

Mr.Jeff

Are the movies worth checking out to get to know Naga?
They're not really anything interesting nor do they have an profound impact on the Slayers world as a whole but I'd say they're still worth a skim through. Naga's relationship with Naga is a different beast to the overall group mechanic of normal Slayers cast and she's a pretty fun character even if nothing overall is done with her.

reading Index vol1. Man its pretty impressive how much bullshit lore they cram into paragraphs.

It's like the author wikipediaed christianity and just picked turns for random stuff.

pope-class armor.

it's ridiculous!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Their priorities are completely separate to me. Haganai is comedy/harem shit with occasional bouts of flailing drama. Snafu is...I don't even know what. It pretends to be a harem show and carries many of the trappings and problems of one, but there is no relationship growth between characters. Snafu's is written in one of the most atrocious manners imaginable. Its themes are grating and overbearing, presented in droning self righteous monologues that are little more than word pile ups of world view nonsense. It is boring, abstract in the worst way, and lacks any sort of flow. Narrative beats are an afterthought, underwhelming in their own right but often times just a copy cat of dramatic moments from other harem type shows. There is nothing interesting about the main character of Snafu, and the show's attempts to drum up personality through his blandness fall super flat, as the character exists as the embodiment of some idiotic ideology instead of coming across as a person.

Haganai is a romantic comedy that completely flubs its romantic or serious portions. At least it still exists as something you can potentially derive comical enjoyment from. Snafu is pseudo-psychological garbage with no other hooks. There are so many useless and dull characters, loose plot ends, and awkward pacing that I cannot take Snafu seriously on any level. There is an immense ineptitude on display for how to handle dialogue that makes most scenes feel extremely fake, and the story at large does an atrocious job of connecting and weaving itself into a whole.

The whole point of Haganai, and its first three members, is that they are loners who start a club in order to make friends. Except because it's a harem, the writer has no reason to take these characters out of their bubble. The dude is supposedly hated, because of his "yankee" appearance, but we never see any of that because he's surrounded by his harem in his club room all the time.

SNAFU actually takes the anti-social characters to their natural and inevitable conclusion, and Batman doing his best Batman impression shows how fickle human relationships can be since they are easily manipulated. But it's not something to be lauded or applauded - he doesn't do it because it makes him feel better for himself, but because of his twisted world view.

Since it'll probably never get animated, I'll just say that volume 7 of the novel actually shows his next Batman maneuver cause blow back in his little social circle, so it's not like he does this stuff with impunity.

Haganai's main character is dense because of his selfishness, which might be interesting if it weren't so self-involved with its typical otaku-pandering. SNAFU's main character is extremely aware, but he lacks the ability to do anything with that awareness beyond committing social suicide.

Syrinx

Date a Live 2

Wtf is this?

An elite team of dating experts come together to make real life into a dating sim so the guy can save Earth? What?

And why was the little sister in the sim going to space? What the hell is she going to do there?

Tenumi

Banned
Yuruyuri: 09

Hurray for new characters! Talk about ghost stories, pranks and explosions this episode, plus finally meeting the Student Council President. She's got a great voice actress

cajunator

Banned
Strike Witches 04

Blackhorn is pretty sweet. Good episode.
So damn pushy. Also dat CG.
A good amount of butts this time too measuring again at ~50-60. They are pretty crafty about hiding those butts/pantyshots too!

As for preliminary Witch rankings I'd say my favourites now are Perrine, Lucchini, and possibly Erica which totally needs more screentime.

I guess I should watch this.
It has a lot of stuff I like. Cat ears and cute and military parody and happy butts.

Strike Witches 04

Blackhorn is pretty sweet. Good episode.
So damn pushy. Also dat CG.
A good amount of butts this time too measuring again at ~50-60. They are pretty crafty about hiding those butts/pantyshots too!

As for preliminary Witch rankings I'd say my favourites now are Perrine, Lucchini, and possibly Erica which totally needs more screentime.

You chose correctly.

It also has Miyuki Sawashiro.

This may or may not be why you chose correctly. Perrine is lovely though and there are too many haters.

Dog Days - 8

So the World vs. World match begins! I'm glad something serious is finally happening in this show.

So whoever holds the two swords dies huh? Looks like we might not get the happiest of endings for this show, but hey, no one dies in the war so I'm not too optimistic.

So Millhiore is joining the fight now. Other than that and the revelation, nothing else too big happened.

I expect things are going to pick up in it's finale though. So it's good to see that.

Kagami

Strike Witches 04

Erica totally needs more screentime.
Yeah, she got shafted unfortunately.
I like to point to Strike Witches as a show that does a great job of characterizing so many characters in such a short series, but Erica is the one exception. She noticeably lagged behind the other 10.

Theonik

You chose correctly.
This may or may not be why you chose correctly. Perrine is lovely though and there are too many haters.
It is part of the reason yes. Though I didn't know it was her initially. Misremembered which one she voiced so it was bothering me when I was listening to Perrine and I couldn't explain things!

Yeah, she got shafted unfortunately.
I like to point to Strike Witches as a show that does a great job of characterizing so many characters in such a short series, but Erica is the one exception. She noticeably lagged behind the other 10.
Not even in Season 2? Booooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom