• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online 16

So basically Alfheim Online is SAO, but with 100% more fairies and less death.

… Is this stock footage from the first episode?

A randomizer and he still looks like himself. That's one hell of a coincidence.

Oh hey, he remembered his “daughter” existed! Yay for Yui's revival! And this is good, since she can actually check systems. But a navigation fairy is... classy. HEY LISTEN~

A MAGICAL GIRL TRANSFORMATION. Unexpected, but I approve!

Well, one thing about this arc I'll probably like? The aerial fights and the actual use of magic might make for lovely fights.

I like Leafa's character design at the very least. Too bad I know she's his cousin.

"I'm not a beater anymore, just a cheater." Depending on your conduct with Leafa, that might make more truth than you can imagine Kirito-kun.

Hm... it's actually jarring to see Kirito kill players so easily after SAO kind of equated it to actual murder. It feels like a downgrade and lowers the stakes, honestly. I hope the villain of this arc at least has a better reason than Heathcliff did.

Metrotab

Banned
A0c6lEA.gif

Yep, time to watch the SNAFU show.

Rayearth

Neo Member
Six months ago, I bought my first ever anime BD.

Today, a package arrived that contained the final parts of my collection:

All hail DHL and their crazy fast shipping to the east coast. Now, the question is, what on earth do I do with these? The included printouts are cool (the "PzIV fibel" and the Firstspear short manga were definite winners) but the BDs themselves are kinda useless...

firehawk12

Subete no aware

All hail DHL and their crazy fast shipping to the east coast. Now, the question is, what on earth do I do with these? The included printouts are cool (the "PzIV fibel" and the Firstspear short manga were definite winners) but the BDs themselves are kinda useless...

You could watch them?

faridmon

Shingeki no Kyojin Ep 7 - 11

The pace have gone down the drain and all they doing is speak and monologue. The script is already poor, having them talk throughout the whole episode is just too painful. Also, the art is still irks me. Damn, I am usually tolerant when it comes to design faults and shortcomings, but for some reason, the art of this show is just unbearable.

Metrotab

Banned
The SNAFU Show - 12 (END?)

I got big band, leg crossing and MC being a dick towards someone who deserved it. That's all good.

Unfortunately it also came with
a very vague and meaningless finale
. Do the novels go further than this?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SNAFU has one more episode that is anime original. And yes, the novels are still ongoing.

The next novel has an amazing story that I wish could have been adapted, but that's how it goes. :p

cajunator

Banned

First off, welcome!!
Secondly, excellent pickups.
thirdly, awesome username from awesome show. The ending had my jaw on the floor. Currently Im making my way through Rayearth 2.

She's the Best...anything...ever.

She is way WAY up there for sure.

Syrinx

Date a Live 3

So, like, do Origami and the teacher remember that the dude asked them out? Or would that get in the way of the whole...uh...let's call it a "plot"?

Is the whole dating sim thing only for the process of asking them out at the start? Cause I didn't see it while they were actually on their date. I know the team helped him out, but they mostly left him to his own devices when it came to what to say.

Also, what?

And now Tohka is there to stay. I guess that's good.

cajunator

Banned
Date a Live 3

So, like, do Origami and the teacher remember that the dude asked them out? Or would that get in the way of the whole...uh...let's call it a "plot"?

Is the whole dating sim thing only for the process of asking them out at the start? Cause I didn't see it while they were actually on their date. I know the team helped him out, but they mostly left him to his own devices when it came to what to say.

Also, what?

And now Tohka is there to stay. I guess that's good.

Tohka is super adorable.
Im glad she stuck around.

CorvoSol

Sword Art Online 16

I like Leafa's character design at the very least. Too bad I know she's his cousin.

"I'm not a beater anymore, just a cheater." Depending on your conduct with Leafa, that might make more truth than you can imagine Kirito-kun.

Hm... it's actually jarring to see Kirito kill players so easily after SAO kind of equated it to actual murder. It feels like a downgrade and lowers the stakes, honestly. I hope the villain of this arc at least has a better reason than Heathcliff did.

My problem with Leafa's design is that she, in many ways, looks like a palette swap of Asuna. Like, take Asuna, change her coat green and her hair yellow, add pointy ears and wings, :chet her up and there you go. Leafa.

I also thought it was jarring as hell to see Kirito so quickly and so relishingly PK someone without a moments' reflection on what that would've meant to him no more than 3 months ago. The villain of this arc is already loads better than "LOL I KILLED 4K PEEPS N DON'T KNOW WHY HERE'S A STORY." if only because his desire to rape a teenager both body and mind is an actual motive. Unlike the the last guy, who literally had no fucking motive.

I was thinking of marathoning SAO again before the English dub comes out.

I probably will just read the books

My problem with Leafa's design is that she, in many ways, looks like a palette swap of Asuna. Like, take Asuna, change her coat green and her hair yellow, add pointy ears and wings, :chet her up and there you go. Leafa.

I also thought it was jarring as hell to see Kirito so quickly and so relishingly PK someone without a moments' reflection on what that would've meant to him no more than 3 months ago. The villain of this arc is already loads better than "LOL I KILLED 4K PEEPS N DON'T KNOW WHY HERE'S A STORY." if only because his desire to rape a teenager both body and mind is an actual motive. Unlike the the last guy, who literally had no fucking motive.

Asuna's appeal is all in the legs.

Mmmmm.

CorvoSol

I was thinking of marathoning SAO again before the English dub comes out.

I probably will just read the books

I honestly don't know if I'm going to finish this series and you're thinking about watching it again? I'd understand if it ended at episode 14-15, but the show goes on after that, and not in a good way.

I honestly don't know if I'm going to finish this series and you're thinking about watching it again? I'd understand if it ended at episode 14-15, but the show goes on after that, and not in a good way.

Lol what can I say, I'm in their age demographic (18)

Also I'm just really desperate for something resembling Fire Emblem.

Don't worry, I'll marathon Lodoss War and rewatch Slayers first

Magic Knight Rayearth - 1 and done

What the hell did I just watch? Seriously this first episode felt like it was written by someone at gunpoint because this is really rushed!

In the first two minutes we're introduced to three girls with only ONE personally trait from them shown to us before they get shoved into magic land and are suddenly made heroes for no inexplicable reason!

Hey anime, there's a little thing known as pacing. You're going a little bit too fast for me to care what's happening. Even with Nanoha's boring first episode it at least went slow and established her character. I'm not saying that fast pacing can't be good. Jojo was able to do that, but what made that good was the character exposition we got in that short amount of time. Here we know next to nothing about these three girls other than the fact that they must become heroes. Joy.

My goodness at this dialogue too. "Don't you care about the world?" "LOLNOPE"

Who the hell wrote this shi-CLAMP? The Clamp? CardCaptor Sakura Clamp?

Oh this was before that. So maybe that show was a miracle or something I don't know. Ugh, I made a terrible mistake watching this. I doubt I'll go on with this show.

CorvoSol

You're damn right you'll watch Lodoss and Slayers before you watch SAO again.

You should also watch Gun x Sword. You don't even need to watch it so much as listen to its glorious sound track cascading down the chambers of your ears' soul.

Actually, if you want a fantasy anime to keep you from self-inflicted SAO, watch THE VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE. I watched that recently and was very, very satisfied. Such a good show.

• Deadman Wonderland 01
My friend wanted me to watch this with him, since he put up with everything I wanted to watch.

My thoughts:
tumblr_m4i32l7dQR1r1b9aso1_400.gif

That's quite a jumpsuit the female lead is wearing.

cajunator

Banned

What the hell did I just watch? Seriously this first episode felt like it was written by someone at gunpoint because this is really rushed!

In the first two minutes we're introduced to three girls with only ONE personally trait from them shown to us before they get shoved into magic land and are suddenly made heroes for no inexplicable reason!

Hey anime, there's a little thing known as pacing. You're going a little bit too fast for me to care what's happening. Even with Nanoha's boring first episode it at least went slow and established her character. I'm not saying that fast pacing can't be good. Jojo was able to do that, but what made that good was the character exposition we got in that short amount of time. Here we know next to nothing about these three girls other than the fact that they must become heroes. Joy.

Oh this was before that. So maybe that show was a miracle or something I don't know. Ugh, I made a terrible mistake watching this. I doubt I'll go on with this show.

The ending is pretty awesome. Its a bit of a slog to get there. I had fun with it but some of it was nostalgia.
the blue haired girl has a really weird head.

Up to episode 20 on SAO. I notice something: the focus isn't on Kirito anymore,
his sister/cousin Suguha kind of hijacked the MC role from him
. At the very least they have decent chemistry. Although honestly, these 2 halves of the show are... markedly different. And the name of the show is obsolete in the second half anyway.

To make an addition to Corvo's parallel? This feels like the difference between Digimon Adventure and 02. 02 (at least towards the beginning) had little to no stakes associated with it, since the kids could leave the digital world at their leisure (and it helped that the Digimon Kaiser was also on a time schedule). Yes, they still needed to stop him, but it wasn't as if they were forced to like the original kids were forced to deal with Devimon and company before they managed to leave the digital world.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The entire RPG Fantasy genre stagnated after Slayers, so you're definitely better off sticking to that and anything made before it.
still hasn't seen Lodoss War

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Is this where we push him through the Blood-C grinder if he hasn't already gone?

CorvoSol

The entire RPG Fantasy genre stagnated after Slayers, so you're definitely better off sticking to that and anything made before it.
still hasn't seen Lodoss War

I think Lodoss is from roughly the same era as Slayers. The difference is that Lodoss is a straight Fantasy anime, whereas Slayers is a Fantasy Comedy anime.

Up to episode 20 on SAO. I notice something: the focus isn't on Kirito anymore,
his sister/cousin Suguha kind of hijacked the MC role from him
. At the very least they have decent chemistry. Although honestly, these 2 halves of the show are... markedly different. And the name of the show is obsolete in the second half anyway.

To make an addition to Corvo's parallel? This feels like the difference between Digimon Adventure and 02. 02 (at least towards the beginning) had little to no stakes associated with it, since the kids could leave the digital world at their leisure (and it helped that the Digimon Kaiser was also on a time schedule). Yes, they still needed to stop him, but it wasn't as if they were forced to like the original kids were forced to deal with Devimon and company before they managed to leave the digital world.

I was considering issuing a formal apology for that comparison tonight, as I feel like Digimon Adventure never did any of the dirty, underhanded, skeezy, awful, inexcusable shit that SAO is doing now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think Lodoss is from roughly the same era as Slayers. The difference is that Lodoss is a straight Fantasy anime, whereas Slayers is a Fantasy Comedy anime.

Apparently you're right. I thought Lodoss was early 90s, but apparently that's just the OVA series and the TV series is 1998, which is slightly after Slayers.

fake edit: Lodoss-tou Senki? fuck you MAL

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Never heard of in media res? You're meant to be thrust into the story just as the characters are forced together and have to find out what is going on.

CorvoSol

Apparently you're right. I thought Lodoss was early 90s, but apparently that's just the OVA series and the TV series is 1998, which is slightly after Slayers.

fake edit: Lodoss-tou Senki? fuck you MAL

AWW YEAH AND I GUESSED IT ALL BECAUSE OF THE ANIMATION BECAUSE I WATCHED THEM BOTH IN THAT ERA.

God, knowing I probably watched Slayers TRY when it was new makes me feel so, so old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom