• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Just finished Fate Zero

Wow, what a ride, enjoyed it from start to finish. If you spell out what it is about it all it sounds so very silly but dammit it was compelling animation.

The story sucks you in and the art is gorgeous.

Pretty bleak ending - was not expecting that.

cajunator

Banned
Just finished Fate Zero

Wow, what a ride, enjoyed it from start to finish. If you spell out what it is about it all it sounds so very silly but dammit it was compelling animation.

The power of Urobuchi. If its happy, he probably didnt write it.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Episode 12 The Devil Carries Out His Duties
tumblr_mot9gzpluY1qbxqfpo1_500.png

That was a fun episode. Excellent fight attire for Maou, and then all of his other roomies making some contribution
Urushihara surprised me, thought he would actually join forces over there but thankgoodness he embodies NEETftw mentality
. Will miss this when it finishes up next week though, maybe it can get an ova or two?

I have this really weird urge to watch K-ON!! But I'm scared. I don't know how I'll feel watching the episode, and I feel any negative opinion I might have (considering it's overwhelmingly positive popularity) will end up getting any opinion I have of all anime invalid.

Exactly what mindset should I be in going into K-ON!!?

I have this really weird urge to watch K-ON!! But I'm scared. I don't know how I'll feel watching the episode, and I feel any negative opinion I might have (considering it's overwhelmingly positive popularity) will end up getting any opinion I have of all anime invalid.

Fun things are fun.

cajunator

Banned

Second season? Have you watched the first one?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I don't know why you'd get worked up about a show that really amounts to just watching four/five girls going to school and not playing music for 40ish episodes. lol

cajunator

Banned
So..my roommates are about to watch Code Geass.
They are about to get to
Euphinator
and then they are moving on to S2.
This gonna be interesting :D

Second season? Have you watched the first one?

Second season? What are you...oh. The second season is marked with two exclamations instead of one? Well that's not confusing at all.

I've never watched anything K-ON! related. Haven't heard a single song, haven't watched a single episode.

I don't know why you'd get worked up about a show that really amounts to just watching four/five girls going to school and not playing music for 40ish episodes. lol

Exactly. And yet the show has it's own community thread here. So there must be something enjoyable in it.

Syrinx

Just watch it expecting something generally fun and pleasant and you'll probably be fine. But it's not like you'll be fed to the dogs if you don't like it.

CorvoSol

You're completely right even if SAO is hardly an outlier in this area.

I'm glad to know someone doesn't think I'm crazy.

I really don't know why you're so determined to think that the fact that "it's just a game" shouldn't make all the difference. If Kirito was hesitating about PKing even though this is just a game and he has more important things to worry about, that's what I'd call awkward writing.

Because 3 months ago killing them meant they would have died for real. And since Alfheim and SAO are practically identical, it means that when he kills someone, it looks just like how it would if someone had been murdered in SAO. People dying in Alfheim look just like the man who died in his arms in SAO, like the party he saw slaughtered by monsters in SAO, like the man he killed in SAO, and so on and so forth. That this has no visible effect on him is absurd. Consider other anime, where when say, Amuro Ray first kills a man, even in self-defense, its a big deal. Kirito barely reacts to killing a man, and now enjoys it.

Kirito just jumps into Alfheim and embraces it without the slightest hesitation, and that isn't realistic at all. Anyone, kid or adult, who'd been trapped for two years in a game, should be more cautious about it, and even more so about killing people. That doubt should exist, that this isn't just a game because it wasn't just a game last time, but it doesn't, and that's indefensible poor writing.

Unending trauma? Really? I don't think so. Sure, it's more dangerous than real life, but even that isn't going to seem hugely traumatic if you've been doing it every day for two whole years. If Kirito was the kind of person to be deeply traumatised by the idea of fighting monsters that could kill him, he would never have become a front-line player of his own accord. He always had the option of just settling down in a town and not putting his life in danger. He chose to pursue the dangerous life. That above all shows that, even at the beginning, he didn't find it super-traumatic. After two whole years to get used to it, he's not going to be mentally broken.

Then you say the way it ended was traumatic, but was it really? The most traumatic part would have been when Kirito
thought he was going to die, at the very end when Heathcliff emptied his HP
, but even that was a possibility Kirito was ready to face willingly, and it became clear almost immediately afterwards that
he wasn't dying after all

The suddenness of the ending? Probably wasn't all that sudden from Kirito's point of view, since he'd
suspected Heathcliff ever since their duel, and ultimately brought about the whole thing himself
. Sure, he couldn't have known that
confronting Heathcliff
would actually lead to the game ending, but he could see it was a possibility, and imagine any number of much worse outcomes, so he was ready for that when it happened, I think.

It was sudden, especially from Kirito's point of view. In literally one day the place he'd called home was gone, he was sundered from his friends by distance and anonymity, and the entire life he'd had with his wife and child was not only stripped from him, but forbidden him by law to be discussed with anyone.

You quite literally cannot explain away why that shouldn't have a huge effect on him, but there it is. Kirito's busy playing video games when any normal human being should be going through some serious withdrawal. They could even have opted to treat Alfheim as his relapsing because of withdrawal, but that's expecting something of the writer's staff, and expecting anything after the 0 pay off of the first arc is unwise.

You say that there was
"no explanation" from Kayaba, as though the ending of SAO was completely inconclusive and unsatisfying,

Because it was. Unless you'd care to explain the villain's motive, I see no reason to say it wasn't. Because Kaiyaba did not explain why he did what he did.

but regardless of how you may see it, it's extremely clear that Kirito did get a sense of closure from that final conversation as Aincrad collapsed.

No, not it isn't.

You focus in on Kayaba's statement that he "doesn't really know" why he did it, while ignoring the fact that he still gave an explanation that made it clear what his motivations were.

No, no he does not. He spews some bullshit about making a virtual world and that's it. Which he'd done. No explanation is given for trapping and killing thousands of people. And please don't say "not logging out was for the sake of realism" because realism would require that people also be allowed to have kids and age and you couldn't fucking do that, and it doesn't explain his bullshit plan for the 100th floor.

And perhaps most importantly, your final point, that he had a wife and child in SAO who have been ripped away from him. Yes, this one is legitimately traumatic and clearly weighing heavily on his mind. It's why he initially seems to be very "out of it", before he finds a hint to finding Asuna. But this "trauma" actually has a positive effect on him in ALO, because the hope of finding Asuna acts as a powerful driving force to adjust to this new world and take action there. That kind of trauma isn't going to make him hesitate about PKing; it's going to do the exact opposite.

And yet none of this is shown at all. Kirito doesn't stop and say "I have to do it for her." As a matter of fact, in episode 19 he's like "Fuck saving my wife, I'm gonna go help this girl I barely know." and sure, maybe he's heroic, but he also has 5 fucking days to save her and is being nonchalant as fuck about it. When in the last episode did he even think about Asuna?

I really don't see why any of this is as inconsistent or strange as you seem determined to think.

I really don't see why any of this isn't as inconsistent or strange as you seem hell bound to think.

cajunator

Banned
Second season? What are you...oh. The second season is marked with two exclamations instead of one? Well that's not confusing at all.

I've never watched anything K-ON! related. Haven't heard a single song, haven't watched a single episode.

Exactly. And yet the show has it's own community thread here. So there must be something enjoyable in it.

There is. I have made some very very good friends from there too.
Its a rather :cajun show but it has excellent animation, fun likeable characters, and great music. Its very well designed to appeal to its audience,

mAcOdIn

Episode 12 was great!

I gotta say though the editing or continuity is really fucked up in this episode.

I really had an issue with during the fight where
Maou tells Suzuno to take care of Emi and Chiho, which was fine but then moments later Emi's blown away by an attack. What the fuck, both she and Chiho were placed under Suzuno's care and why was Emi just all alone so just she could get thrown off the roof? It was a really awkward scene that existed just to get Emi into Maous arms, fucking Emi shippers. Anyways, that annoyed me.

The other thing that annoyed me is less minor but still relatively weird, which is, how exactly did
Olba get Emi's bag?

Otherwise it was a good episode and would have gotten an 11 out of 10 from me if
Chiho uppercutting Sariel was really Chiho and not Maou
but I have to give it an 8.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This seasons Naruto Shippuden ED - I Can Hear - DISH is one my favorite this season and the full version too. Otherwise, I think its really just three or so ops and ed that I think are fairly good and worth listening to again after the season finishes. (Genesis Aria - Arata The Legend, (OP), Yukitoki - Nagi Yanagi - (Yahari OP), Reason - Kamiya - Karneval ED, BE - Devil Survivor 2 ED)

Is the first one the Japanese equivalent of Busted (sure am showing how down am with the kids with that one arn't I)

The other one apparently isn't safe for consumption in the UK.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ANNCast 6/21 2013
On the look of Attack on Titan and its animation:
It's doing stuff that I haven't seen in a couple decades in terms of character movement.
Daryl Surat is dead to me.

2A7lV.gif

Tenumi

Banned
Lets Play! Suite Precure: 08

Undertones! Undertones everywhere!

This was actually a pretty good episode, and makes me wonder if they are planting the seeds for a Siren face turn at some point, with her reactions to having a friend.

Just watch it expecting something generally fun and pleasant and you'll probably be fine. But it's not like you'll be fed to the dogs if you don't like it.

Well I like Fairy Tail and I enjoy Dog Days to some extent. So it shouldn't be that bad. Oh, and speaking of Dog Days...

Dog Days - 10

Wow anime, way to ruin a touching moment by stripping Millhiore right there. This show is achieving Fairy Tail levels of unnecessary fanservice right now.

Wasn't expecting the whole
possessed fox dilemma. But it doesn't really matter as the problem gets solved pretty quickly.

We have our epic battle, and that's pretty much it. At this point I'd say this show is nothing spectacular, but at least it's in the "likable" category. Three more episodes to go, then I'll tackle season 2 another time.

RoeBear

Just finished Fate Zero

It's a prequel it had to end like that...

Lots of anime seasons nowadays like to do things like that. Dog Days season two is called Dog Days' for crying out loud. At least K-ON!! has two exclamation marks so it makes some sense.

What he means is that the show is very laid back, and it's not like I'm going to beat you over the head with a large trout if you end up not liking it.

jman2050

The community thread is less of a "thread" and more of a "quarantine zone"

Not that that's helped at all given how parasitical K-On talk has gotten in this thread as of late, that I know of at least.

CorvoSol

I don't know if I've seen a more perfect GIF to summarize this show. Everything you need to know about everyone's personality right there.

Chet Rippo is easily exasperated by the hijinks of anime GAF.

Ronald Reagan is not a crook.

That girl is trying to do CPR on Chet's knees.

Blondes are dumb and stare into space while things happen around them.

Nailed it.

Nailed it.

This is also correct.

In unrelated news I started going on dates with a girl who looks like Mugi. Eyebrows and everything. (she's caucasian)

Syrinx

Nailed it.
That was Nixon, dude.

Or are you saying Yui looks like Ronald Reagan? I can't say I see the resemblance.

Nailed it.
Yeah, something like that.
In unrelated news I started going on dates with a girl who looks like Mugi. Eyebrows and everything. (she's caucasian)

Mugi is Caucasian, well half anyways.

Just to throw it out there, here's how I summarize moe anime.

I think a well done anime is like a delicious cake. It's sweet, and it's filled to the brim with just a good taste. But for a cake to be good, it has to have all the right ingredients. In this case, story, animation, writing, etc. MOE characters are the icing on the cake.

But with moe anime, they throw all of that away and just give you a bowl full of icing. That's not to say a bowl full of icing won't taste good every now and then, but you don't see people ordering bowls of icing at fancy restaurants do you?

So before you recommend a moe anime to someone who asks for a good anime, just remember what the person asked you. Did he ask for a well made cake? Or did he ask for bowl full of icing?

Tamerlane

Banned

I'm not a huge moe/slice of life person, but I found K-On to be very enjoyable. Bare in mind that the second season is significantly better than the first, so if you're nonplussed by the first 12 episodes don't give up! Also don't go in expecting a comedy show, since it's more aimless/chill in it's approach. It's really well directed and the animation quality is insane. That's my pitch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
By everything you mean nothing, no?

Man, maybe you should have become the America's Next Moderator. You seem to have a K-On! alarm. lol

Just to throw it out there, here's how I summarize moe anime.

I think a well done anime is like a delicious cake. It's sweet, and it's filled to the brim with just a good taste. But for a cake to be good, it has to have all the right ingredients. In this case, story, animation, writing, etc. MOE characters are the icing on the cake.

But with moe anime, they throw all of that away and just give you a bowl full of icing. That's not to say a bowl full of icing won't taste good every now and then, but you don't see people ordering bowls of icing at fancy restaurants do you?

So before you recommend a moe anime to someone who asks for a good anime, just remember what the person asked you. Did he ask for a well made cake? Or did he ask for bowl full of icing?

This is easy. K-ON! is a moe anime, K-ON!! is a good anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom