• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I don't know if a VN can handle the visual splendor of Angel Beats as produced by Perfect Averything Works.

iCaxzBB9ha34y.jpg

Quasar

Mixing real world stuff with in game stuff served as a good balance from keeping the show from feeling too monotonous,

That was one of its big failings for me. At the outset there was no stuff about the outside world, about the worlds reaction to the whole thing. No attempts to unplug kids, no stuff about SWAT teams trying to track down whats his name. None of that.

yami4ct

Ok, so since some of the stuff I'm watching this season is wrapping up soon, I'm going to start watching Utena and Madoka, the two shows AnimeGaf has most recommended to me.

You guys best not be wrong here.

K-ON! - 1

Well, I went into this looking for fun, and I got fun! Well sort of. This is only the beginning after all. Characters are pretty likeable so far. Especially Homura Akemi Mio Akiyama.

And that's pretty much it! I enjoyed the little humour bits they threw in there, so that's a bonus. What I didn't like was that one scene where Mio and Ritsu were waiting and nothing was happening. I felt like they could have done a SpongeBob-esque time card thing, so that was a missed humour opportunity.

But it's not bad so far. Let's see how the rest of this goes.

duckroll

Please quote large images. The auto-resize to fit into the width of the template is not an excuse to stop quoting images. It's still fucking annoying.

mAcOdIn

Please quote large images. The auto-resize to fit into the width of the template is not an excuse to stop quoting images. It's still fucking annoying.
Err, what? So do you want me to quote them or not?!

There's gotta be some better way to handle that, quoting what's not a quote, it's, weird.

duckroll

Err, what? So do you want me to quote them or not?!

NeoGAF now auto-resizes images larger than the viewing template into the viewing template's width. You might not have noticed. This is similar to what quoting does except when you quote the image it becomes even smaller because of the quote box. You might not have noticed this new feature, but Branduil certainly has. :p

mAcOdIn

NeoGAF now auto-resizes images larger than the viewing template into the viewing template's width. You might not have noticed. This is similar to what quoting does except when you quote the image it becomes even smaller because of the quote box. You might not have noticed this new feature, but Branduil certainly has. :p
Actually, I realized what I was, well, what you were saying, too late for my post to make any sense but I like to leave them up so people can see my foolish side. Rest assured I'm on the same page now.
They're still really big for me.
I believe what Duckroll's asking is for us to wrap all images in quote tags, even if it's not actually quoting another user, so that the images are smaller for all users, if that happened you wouldn't see big pics until you clicked on them.

Hentai Prince 11
I take it Yokodera
wished for the sisters to have his memories of their mother and that's why he can't remember, but Steel has his memories?

Tenumi

Banned
Hurray, my avatar still looks good on the Dark Theme

Looking on MAL, it looks like Macross Frontier has never been licensed. Seems like an awfully big name to remain unlicensed. I wasn't really paying much attention back when it was airing, is it rights issues or something?

Hurray, my avatar still looks good on the Dark Theme

Looking on MAL, it looks like Macross Frontier has never been licensed. Seems like an awfully big name to remain unlicensed. I wasn't really paying much attention back when it was airing, is it rights issues or something?
Licensing of Macross in general is a mess and doesn't happen.

mAcOdIn

but, really, not having Macross 7 or Frontier licensed is no loss, some may even say it's a service, only real loss in the Macross rights war was DYRL and the original series, since a handful of tasteless people prefer it to the superior Robotech the First Generation.
K, thanks. I've been putting that show on hold for way too long, guess tomorrow's a better time then ever to start on it.
Just start it now.

Articalys

Chu2Koi OVA (ep.13)

If this is the atmosphere they're going to keep for season 2, then full steam ahead.
Got spoiled on the kiss just before I watched it, but oh well. Not like I haven't seen more in fanart, and they're not going to go anywhere with it in the show anyway.

CorvoSol

Sounds like it's time to get CorvoSol to watch Apocalypse Zero. It's only two episodes!

I feel like half the problem I have with bad shows is their length. Gundam AGE was terrible in large part because it was 50 episodes of bad, for instance. SAO could have and should have ended at episode 14. The abrupt change of the series has done nothing but ruin it. It went from stupid, but understandably enjoyable series about teenage romance trapped in a digital hellscape to incest pandering mass murderer for protagonist in the space of 1 episode.

I'm not a fan of them myself but there's no sense in stopping. If you're having fun and so are others, have at it. It's not hard to scroll past a post.

I dunno, I mean, my posts tend to be fairly long, and they probably come off as a huge eyesore to people who don't like them to begin with.

Well i agree but my problem is that 2 big problems people have on the second part of sao arent problems at all and comes from a misconception of some simple events.

I don't know how the incest stuff is a misconception of simple events. Suguha flat out says "I'm in love with my brother." I do not know how I am misunderstanding this at all. And the tentacle rape reaaaaaaaaaaally isn't helping.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi - 04

Ojamajo Doremi - 05

Ojamajo Doremi 01 & 02

Errbody watching this show. Is this the new (old) Smile Precure? I guess I should get in on some of this action too. So who am I supposed to be shipping in this show...?

Oh, I see.

j/k, sexualizing Doremi's is bad. This is a cute show, though. Will watch some more.

Ojamajo Doremi 13: Off Hiatus Edition

Seems to be the right time to get off of hiatus on this show at least.
Heroes, all of you.

THANKS TOEI FOR SPOILERS IN AN EPISODE TITLE! JESUS CHRIST! SAVE THE PUNCH LINE FOR LATER!
Doremi will actually troll with its episode titles instead of simply giving everything away. Don't trust them!

The same can't be said of next ep previews though.

but, really, not having Macross 7 or Frontier licensed is no loss, some may even say it's a service, only real loss in the Macross rights war was DYRL and the original series, since a handful of tasteless people prefer it to the superior Robotech the First Generation.

You're a terrible person.

cajunator

Banned
I've never been able to take those opinions seriously, since that episode gave us this.

Splash Star is like Futari wa with a new coat of paint, except the new coat of paint is made of rainbows and happiness.

The main characters (and mascots) certainly seem like retreads of exactly the same character types as in the first series, and some plot points feel remarkably familiar as well, but they're all given unique aspects that make them feel new and interesting. The background cast (characters' family and friends, as well as villains), meanwhile, all feels completely new, and this goes a long way towards making the series feel fresh.

Also, it's really good.

In a world where Splash Star exists, I can actually understand why some people consider Futari wa to be "obsolete", because Splash Star basically just takes everything Futari wa did and does it better. (I'm still glad I watched Futari wa, though, if only for Nagisa, lacrosse, and Porun)

No, it should be Madoka because Madoka is 12 episodes compared to Hidamari's 50-odd, and every day a person doesn't watch Madoka is another day they're risking having the experience spoiled for them.

Futari Wa with extra rainbow happiness sounds like a great thing to me!

also your fandom of the adorable cockblocking Porun endears to me. Nagisa isnt bad but I enjoyed Honoka more and wish she had a more pdominent part.

Mixing real world stuff with in game stuff served as a good balance from keeping the show from feeling too monotonous, if they had kept the game the exact same rules as SAO did. How would they have made SAO last as there is no real sources of drama there as, its not like Kirito could ever die or whatnot. Sure having him die then narrowly escape it once or twice was alright but still, how many times could they do that? At least without it being present in ALO the story felt fresh, more suspense, and actually felt like things and progression, teamwork and other characters abilities actually matter, instead of people being in fear, hiding, or staying at x level for their lives. Additionally, going in and out of the world to explore both family relations and friends and getting back to managing the demands of the game with the demands of the real world made it feel easily relatable and compelling. Imouto wasnt that bad and I dont understand with her having affectionate feelings for the hero in her life. IT was kind of touching of sorts , if anything people should be complaining about Weaksuna and getting in the way, wasnt she strong in SAO but now super weak and what not, baffling...

Asuna as a damsel in distress didn't bother me in the second arc mostly because: she wasn't armed and had no way to defend herself. I applauded her for getting out by herself and giving Kirito the key to winning the grand quest, and I was kind of annoyed she was being treated this way, but I knew that she really couldn't do anything about it.

ALO was certainly a way to keep things fresh yes, but the second half honestly feels like a completely different show. That said, once I got into the mindset for it, I enjoyed it, I really did. SAO isn't the worst anime ever. But it certainly did take a huge dip during the second arc.

CorvoSol

Rereading the Fall threads, the most amazing part is that, just as people started to hate on SAO, Regulus was there to recommend they all watch Utena instead. It's almost thematic, in a way.

cnet128

Banned
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko 11

Timeslips
are always entertaining, and this one is no exception.
Mini-Yokodera
and Yokodera make a great duo (as you might expect), and Tsukiko's excited fangirling is hilarious.

Still, when you
go back in time to meet someone who is doomed to die
, you know it's always going to get bittersweet and tragic at some point, and it looks like things are now careering off in that direction at full speed.

Also,
mini-Tsukiko
needs to smile more. C'mon, we finally have
a Tsukiko in the series who isn't under the cat's curse
and she's acting
just as expressionless as the Tsukiko of the present
? THAT'S NO FUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom