• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

LOL at people complaining Titans slow pace

Hunter x Hunter 85
Is slow episode with only adapting half of chapter and its a great episode.
Keep proving as Superior Shounen anime.

Jex

Dark theme at a button press. I'll no longer go blind from all the whitespace.

Hey, F.lux has been around for ages and there's no excuse not to be using it at all times! Unless you need to know what colour things actually are, of course.

cajunator

Banned
It's crazy how popular SAO got. Its success seems so... random to me. Nothing about the show seemed special to me when it was airing. Yet it grew and it grew and it grew.

EDIT: That's some magic right there, wonzo.

I honestly have no idea either. Was it the whole MMORPG thing? It was pretty boring.

This surely is a sign…

for me to finish Angel Beats!

abeats2f.jpg

Best show right here.

Hey, F.lux has been around for ages and there's no excuse not to be using it at all times! Unless you need to know what colour things actually are, of course.

I'm using F.lux right now, on top of dark GAF.

So perfect.

Also I apologize if my screens of School Days are a little sepia

CorvoSol

Warning the post below is meta

My roommate calls BS.

But my roommate is also what some might call "Molly"

Incidentally I think that would be incredibly cool what you mentioned if it's true, because I'm planning on leaving for my mission in a handful of months here.

Also sorry, I'm not coming back for Fall Semester Corvo ):

Hahaha, every time I think I'm going to have someone to hang out with there it fails anyway. No worries.

Attack on Titan 12

Jex

I actually think that Stardust Memory is the least offensive of the bad Gundam shows. That said, there is one turn at the end of the series that had me flabbergasted.

Also, Ensign Kou Uraki Doesn't Eat His Carrots.
Stardust Memory is the worst thing created by man. It makes SAO look like The Citizen Kane of Anime.

CorvoSol

Stardust Memory is the worst thing created by man. It makes SAO look like The Citizen Kane of Anime.

There are worse entries into the Gundam series alone, and none of them are as bad as the second half of SAO.

Last I checked Nina Purpleton wasn't Kou Uraki's sister.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Maou-sama 12

Heh. Last week I hoped that Urushihara would get a moment of awesome, and he sure as hell did.
SHORYUKEN!

Also, loved the subtle humor in
Maou pointing out that Emi's tits were showing, then in the next scene having a handprint on his face from her slapping him

I wonder where they're gonna go from here for the last episode, though. That really seemed like the final battle, and next episode doesn't look too action-y from the preview.

Of course, I'm hoping for a second season!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kiss Dum: Engage Planet 04:

awwwww yeah, we're getting into the mysticism bullshit now. Nothing says DEEP like constantly cutting to a female soldier fighting in her underwear.

How many times does Aiba have to reaffirm that he's the Necrodiver through various feats of Necrodivery before he actually is the Necrodiver?

CorvoSol

But Eva's aren't mechs.

Do I want to start this semantics argument?

Yes, yes I do

They are referred to at one point as the Evangelion Android, though. And while Asimov makes a distinction between an Android and a Robot, the idea is similar enough to say that Shinji is still piloting a giant robot. Especially since after awhile the line between robots and
Gods
is blurred in a lot of mecha anime aside from Eva. Consider GGG Final, where the Gao Gai Gar is repeatedly called
a demon and a God of Destruction
or G Gundam, where, while essentially a machine,
The Devil Gundam is something essentially alive and undoubtedly demonic.
Or Godannar, where the Godannar
is referred to as a God in the end of the series.
Also Gurren Lagann makes these references once or twice, too.

For this reason, in addition to "Any sufficiently advanced type of science is functionally indistinguishable from magic," and "Any sufficiently advanced alien species is functionally indistinguishable from Gods," might I propose "Any sufficiently powerful giant robots are functionally indistinguishable from
Gods
"? In the which case, one might, by the inverse suppose that
Any biomechanically produced Gods of an insufficient level of power, eg. non-God state Evangelions, are functionally indistinguishable from mechs.

GOMENASAI!!
bow+down.jpg

Too late, Sempai is displeased.

sleepykyo

I honestly have no idea either. Was it the whole MMORPG thing? It was pretty boring.

Best show right here.

Someone had to pander the gamer market at one point or another. And most of the stuff is so grossly awful (Stay Alive) that merely being awful makes it seem good. It probably gets a lot of points for being serious. That moe backlash has people clinging to whatever they can find.

Jex

There are worse entries into the Gundam series alone, and none of them are as bad as the second half of SAO.

Last I checked Nina Purpleton wasn't Kou Uraki's sister.

I haven't seen every work in the Gundam franchise (nor do I wish too) but Stardust Memory is hateful, appalling series.

yami4ct

They are referred to at one point as the Evangelion Android, though. And while Asimov makes a distinction between an Android and a Robot, the idea is similar enough to say that Shinji is still piloting a giant robot. Especially since after awhile the line between robots and
Gods
is blurred in a lot of mecha anime aside from Eva. Consider GGG Final, where the Gao Gai Gar is repeatedly called
a demon and a God of Destruction
or G Gundam, where, while essentially a machine,
The Devil Gundam is something essentially alive and undoubtedly demonic.
Or Godannar, where the Godannar
is referred to as a God in the end of the series.
Also Gurren Lagann makes these references once or twice, too.

For this reason, in addition to "Any sufficiently advanced type of science is functionally indistinguishable from magic," and "Any sufficiently advanced alien species is functionally indistinguishable from Gods," might I propose "Any sufficiently powerful giant robots are functionally indistinguishable from
Gods
"? In the which case, one might, by the inverse suppose that
Any biomechanically produced Gods of an insufficient level of power, eg. non-God state Evangelions, are functionally indistinguishable from mechs.

While you point out a lot of interesting thematic sensibilities most Super Robot style shows share, I still believe that there is a massive difference between something that has a biological base and a mech. Moreover, I think the Eva's seemingly will of their own separates them even farther from traditional mech. These are less piloted machines and more akin to horses whose destructive capabilities are guided by human riders toward the right targets. That unique will is a major piece of what differentiates the evas from mechs.

yami4ct

For the purposes of the role they play in the narrative, the EVAs are mecha.

For the purpose of the narrative, they fill the mech roll, but that doesn't make them mech. I feel mech have to be purely piloted. They must purely respond to the will of the pilot and not be able to move and make their own decisions.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For the purpose of the narrative, they fill the mech roll, but that doesn't make them mech. I feel mech have to be purely piloted. They must purely respond to the will of the pilot and not be able to move and make their own decisions.
This might be a question for Jex to answer, but surely there are examples of super robots who have acted on their own before?
Uniboob?
Alien anatomy is weird.

Ojamajo Doremi 15

Pop is suspicious, so she messes around in MahouDou. And has Majo Rika in her grasp.

We have mini SOS groupees and Pop has White Knights. In Kindergarten. Must be sexually active this early in this universe. At least it's in their own age range.

Apparently, Plush-chan dying was the most traumatic thing to the entire class though, either they're sheltered, or everyone has great lives (and Pop lives in a household filled with DOMESTIC VIOLENCE so lord knows.)

yami4ct

This might be a question for Jex to answer, but surely there are examples of super robots who have acted on their own before?

Super robots moving on their own usually fall into one of a couple categories. Either they somehow tap into human emotion, and thus are still following the human pilot's orders, or they have some entity or AI controlling them. The second idea gets a bit more tricky as I'd say, semantically, that makes them fall more into the Robot or giant Android category rather than mech.

fertygo

You need to watch more mecha show then.. Its not a invention made by EVA at all.

Would so silly if you playing SRW and say some legendary mech not a mech because doing what you described.

CorvoSol

Mechs are machines, not organisms.

Tell that to the Devil Gundam. It has cells of its own, a fully functional mouth by the show's end, cells, and a parasitic reproductive system which enables it to essentially breed.

I haven't seen every work in the Gundam franchise (nor do I wish too) but Stardust Memory is hateful, appalling series.

I'm not saying it isn't bad. I'm just saying Gundam still has shit like Destiny, AGE, and 00 that are so much worse than it that it seems tame by comparison.

While you point out a lot of interesting thematic sensibilities most Super Robot style shows share, I still believe that there is a massive difference between something that has a biological base and a mech. Moreover, I think the Eva's seemingly will of their own separates them even farther from traditional mech. These are less piloted machines and more akin to horses whose destructive capabilities are guided by human riders toward the right targets. That unique will is a major piece of what differentiates the evas from mechs.

It's a good analogy, but the EVA still function like mecha do, even if they are biological in nature. It's hardly uncommon for a mech to have its own will, too. Whether that be via artificial intelligence, like Full Metal Panic's AL/Arbalest/Laevatein, and Gargantia's Chamber (both of whom are fully capable of functioning without their pilot and performing combat operations autonomously), or something a little more supernatural, like the Nirvash Type ZERO from Eureka Seven (which actually addresses Renton by the show's end).

The only situation I can come up with that's directly comparable to the Evangelions would be Brain Powerd, and even then, Super Robot Wars just shrugs and considers them mechs, because they function exactly as a mech would. So even if they aren't actually mechs in the sense of a machine piloted by a human, they're functionally the same thing, since they work exactly as one would.

• School Days 01
tdaIo3n.png

And so it begins.

....running into a train, eh? This reminds me of a certain imouto anime I just watched, *COUGH KOI KAZE*

Of course he has to gasp audibly when trying to be inconspicuous. That's anime at its finest.

Oh gosh they're friends. This is going to be a huge problem, isn't it. ISN'T IT AGHHH

Still trying to determine if our MC is hapless harem protag yet. -- backing a girl into a fence, huh well then

Sekai means world. Thank you for that. I think a Japanese person would know what "Sekai" means. Even I know what sekai means. (Maybe this is a Crunchyroll sub thing?)

We're just setting up for a horrifying love triangle now, aren't we

"A-a--ano... d-d-domo..."

Hapless MC protag. For sure. Never EVER tell a girl you're in love with another one, especially when she's obviously got the hots for you too. KNIVES TO THE HEART

Sekai, honey. Stop doing this to yourself. Please. Stop.

Shit. Right in the kisser. SHIT

I want to ask who best girl is.
I sorta hope its neither

yami4ct

It's a good analogy, but the EVA still function like mecha do, even if they are biological in nature. It's hardly uncommon for a mech to have its own will, too. Whether that be via artificial intelligence, like Full Metal Panic's AL/Arbalest/Laevatein, and Gargantia's Chamber (both of whom are fully capable of functioning without their pilot and performing combat operations autonomously), or something a little more supernatural, like the Nirvash Type ZERO from Eureka Seven (which actually addresses Renton by the show's end).

The only situation I can come up with that's directly comparable to the Evangelions would be Brain Powerd, and even then, Super Robot Wars just shrugs and considers them mechs, because they function exactly as a mech would. So even if they aren't actually mechs in the sense of a machine piloted by a human, they're functionally the same thing, since they work exactly as one would.

This is a semantics argument, so I'd say that those other robots that have their own will like chambers are more akin to traditional robots or androids that happen to be pilotable rather than mechs.

As for your second point functioning as something and being that thing are two fundamentally different ideas I'd argue. Top Gear made cars that functioned as boats, yet the cars were still cars. They weren't boats. The eva style organic beings function at mechs, but at their core they're actually an idea that's pretty different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom