• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

chuuni ova -

I think I liked maybe five minutes of it. Came for Shinka, got lots of junk instead.

nDlHGjn.jpg

It doesn't help that the last episode basically destroyed whatever liking I had for every character not named Mori Summer, so there's that.

CorvoSol

This is a semantics argument, so I'd say that those other robots that have their own will like chambers are more akin to traditional robots or androids that happen to be pilotable rather than mechs.

It's supposed to be one, isn't it? Either way, while I can't vouch for Chamber since I'm not too hip on how a Machine Caliber works yet, the Arbalest and Laevatein that AL inhabits are still mecha because, while AL can pilot them, his capacity to do so is severely limited without a pilot because he's only an AI. and his key component, the Lambda Driver requires a human will to function
until the very, very end of Full Metal Panic, when AL determines that he, too, is human.

However, I have to ask how that isn't so different from the Evangelion, which cannot wield the Lance of Longinus without a soul, which it does not, ironically, possess. Furthermore, I'd like to point out again that if Chamber and AL qualify as androids, that suits my argument just fine, since the Evangelion is designated as an Evangelion Android by Ritsuko.

Also, don't we see on at least some of the EVA skulls hanging below NERV that they're not entirely biological anyway?

As for your second point functioning as something and being that thing are two fundamentally different ideas I'd argue. Top Gear made cars that functioned as boats, yet the cars were still cars. They weren't boats. The eva style organic beings function at mechs, but at their core they're actually an idea that's pretty different.

Well I don't think anyone whose seen EVA can argue that the Evangelions are 100% mechanical, since they're clearly not. But if it looks like a mech, behaves like a mech, and serves the purpose of a mech, why bother with the fact that its made of flesh instead of steel? The Evangelion still needs a mechanical power source to function without initiating its berserker mode, it still requires human maintenance and mechanical parts for its major use. It's not so different from the Nirvash, really, aside from the Nirvash being some manner of coral life form instead of one made from flesh.

yami4ct

It's supposed to be one, isn't it? Either way, while I can't vouch for Chamber since I'm not too hip on how a Machine Caliber works yet, the Arbalest and Laevatein that AL inhabits are still mecha because, while AL can pilot them, his capacity to do so is severely limited without a pilot because he's only an AI. and his key component, the Lambda Driver requires a human will to function
until the very, very end of Full Metal Panic, when AL determines that he, too, is human.

However, I have to ask how that isn't so different from the Evangelion, which cannot wield the Lance of Longinus without a soul, which it does not, ironically, possess. Furthermore, I'd like to point out again that if Chamber and AL qualify as androids, that suits my argument just fine, since the Evangelion is designated as an Evangelion Android by Ritsuko.

Also, don't we see on at least some of the EVA skulls hanging below NERV that they're not entirely biological anyway?

Well I don't think anyone whose seen EVA can argue that the Evangelions are 100% mechanical, since they're clearly not. But if it looks like a mech, behaves like a mech, and serves the purpose of a mech, why bother with the fact that its made of flesh instead of steel? The Evangelion still needs a mechanical power source to function without initiating its berserker mode, it still requires human maintenance and mechanical parts for its major use. It's not so different from the Nirvash, really, aside from the Nirvash being some manner of coral life form instead of one made from flesh.

By calling it a semantics argument, I was just pointing out I was using a strict definition of the word mech. That's all. Sorry for the confusion in the first part.

If we want to call Evas, chambers, etc. androids, I'd be totally fine with that from a strict definition point. Well, Evas biological factor doesn't make them strictly androids either. I'd call them pilotable cyborgs.
as for nirvash, he's not at all different from Evas. I'd say he's not a mech either from a semantics standpoint

• Assorted 24-Hour Periods In An Academic Learning Environment Part II
6psLOlX.png

Aww yiss a new OP to add to my phone's anime song playlist
I'll probably learn to hate it

OH SHIT EXPOSED BOOBS IN THE OP -- I'm so glad my roommates are asleep.

MAKOTO NO BAKA
-- Wisdom of the World​

"What, a greeting? Aren't we in Japan?" -- Is it just me or does it seem like this anime so far was written for non-Japanese audiences.

OH SHIT EXPOSED BOOBS IN THE EPISODE -- I'm so glad my roommates are asleep.

hapulesu harem purotagunesutsu in its purest form.

Thank you for slapping a bitch, Katsura.

MAKOTO NO BAKA
-- Used twice in an episode for dramatic effect!!​

Saved by the bell, you hapless scum. You don't deserve such a fortuitous fate.

Humiliation from too much :chet. How horrifying.

SHIT, A KISS. SHIT.

I dunno, still not seeing how this is a rite of passage for AnimeGAF. Hopefully I'll find out in the other 10 episodes to come.

Katsura is def best girl.

This is wholly unexpected!

Thoraxes

chuuni ova -

I think I liked maybe five minutes of it. Came for Shinka, got lots of junk instead.

It doesn't help that the last episode basically destroyed whatever liking I had for every character not named Mori Summer, so there's that.

Did you not enjoy the Nibu thighs and thigh-highs?

CorvoSol

By calling it a semantics argument, I was just pointing out I was using a strict definition of the word mech. That's all. Sorry for the confusion in the first part.

If we want to call Evas, chambers, etc. androids, I'd be totally fine with that from a strict definition point. Well, Evas biological factor doesn't make them strictly androids either. I'd call them pilotable cyborgs.
as for nirvash, he's not at all different from Evas. I'd say he's not a mech either from a semantics standpoint

Well there's a reason the term biomechanical floats around often enough, although I suppose biomech would refer more strictly to things like the Devil Gundam, which is living metal, as opposed to things like say, the Nirvash, which is not made from metal.

But this goes back to my original point: at one point is a mech not a mech when the mecha genre has taken pains to blur the line so completely. For instance, ATTACK ON TITAN SPOILERS
Eren Jaeger's Titan body functions only with his human body inside it, utilizing its controls. It has no autonomous will, but is made entirely from flesh. Is it a mech? One would say certainly not, since its made from flesh and hasn't a scrap of metal on it. On the other hand, it certainly is not alive on its own, lacking a will and reproductive system and goodness knows what else.

And in the other corner we've got stuff like the Nirvash, which isn't strictly metal and isn't flesh, though it has metallic parts due to human interaction. Metallic parts which at one point it specifically requests, just like AL designs the ARX-8 Laevatein body he will inhabit, although with the thought of Sousuke's utilizing it in mind.

What seperates a Mecha from a non-Mecha? Is it the will? It cannot be when every possible class of "giant robot" can find at least one with a will of its own. Is it the materials from which it is made? How can it be when so many robots are constructed from so many different parts? Is it the need for a pilot? But then what of anime where the hero stands on his mech's shoulder, rather than in its breast? Real Robots are one thing, but the Super Robot genre is so expansive at this point I dare say its nigh impossible.

CorvoSol

I can't believe you people have done this to peaceiscloser. I may not have seen School Days, but having had the ending spoiled for me once, long ago, I just can't believe.

CorvoSol

CorvoSol, School Days is legit great. As someone who hates shitty harem show I really enjoyed it.

I don't know how the show is before that ending, but that ending is enough for me to steer clear for ever and ever and ever. No amount of telling me not to watch the show will get me to do it. Not this time, animeGAF.

yami4ct

Protip: Cross Days is a thousand times better than School Days.

Wait, wait. "Better" as in a recommendation of genuine quality or "better" in the sense of being a even more list worthy piece of media than School Days? Only one of those answers would pique my interest.

• I Wish This Was Madoka Episode III
LR5FbWD.png

Let's start off the episode with a towel scene. Yes, of course. It's anime. And then follow up with tension so thick you could slice it with a knife and spread it on bread and call it breakfast

Wait. Wait wait wait. Who the flip is Princess Ringhair? ...also isn't hugging in public some sort of taboo in Japan? That's just what I seem to notice.

Oh Princess Ringhair is a spy. Never mind, I was thinking a harem was beginning to grow.

being jelus is suffering

wonzo

Banned
I asked this once before in here but forgot to come back and read the responses,

Can anyone recommend comedy-ish college/highschool animes? I'm watching Oreimo but it's not really my thing. It's definitely funny but the story is kind of boring to me.
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru has a highschool girl for an MC but it doesn't necessarily focus on the highschool aspect of it. Still one of the best modern anime series tho.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't know how the show is before that ending, but that ending is enough for me to steer clear for ever and ever and ever. No amount of telling me not to watch the show will get me to do it. Not this time, animeGAF.
Like in any good tragedy, it's the journey not the destination.

That said, the first 3-4 episodes are straight up boring. Once the march to inevitability starts, though, it's good times.

I'm just wondering, are there any romcom anime or manga/light novels/etc. that take place outside of Japan? It wouldn't make much sense but I would like to know if there's a Japanese take on contemporary western romance.

• My Anime About School Days Is Wrong As I Expected - 04
I3169mg.png

Not the Waifu Emblem I'm looking for!

You're such a jerkface, Makoto.
You're not feeling like you're love with her anymore, so you think feeling her up is going to fix it? It's just crap because you see she's actually falling for you now and you've gotta pull stunts like that.

You go to Europe -- for regular summer vacations? Does this mean she's one of those "half-European" people that absolutely has to be in every anime?

Ah yes, tissues and lewd magazines. It's okay, even Keiichi the Chaste had them, Makoto-baka.

Saved by innocent children. Thank grosh. No puraivashee for you!

Wow, their school looks remarkably like Hill Valley High School from Back to the Future.

I thought that ticket was a condom at the beginning of the episode. Well then.

Well now we're just getting into jealous softcore action-- WELL NOW WE'RE TAKING IT FARTHER

Okay I'm starting to see how Katsura can be best girl.

Theonik

Steins;Gate is NOT that bad artistically. Its different from most anime styles but not ugly or anything!
The problem has nothing to do with style and everything to do with piss poor colours to the point it's impossible to watch.

This surely is a sign…

for me to finish Angel Beats!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/abeats2f.jpg
Do it.

Holy shit, themes :eek:

Now it's no longer too white for me!
image.php

Attack on Titan 12

http://i.minus.com/iZrYV8ZFMNSJY.jpg
[/indent]Yeah, they've complete screwed up this arc with the terrible pacing. The material itself is serviceable but not when it's stretched out like this- I have no idea what possessed them to adapt at a one-to-one chapter-to-episode rate.
If it was only one to one ratio. They are doing less than half now.

Ume-sensei ;3;

Okay that's probably a better comparison, judging from animegaf's reaction to school days lol (haven't seen it yet)
You know what to do.

i can probably marathon school days tonight. what say ye, animegaf
DO IT!

• School Days 01
Good! Sekai is best girl.

School Days is our past, present, and future.
The Boat We Saw That Day :firehawk

Protip: Cross Days is a thousand times better than School Days.
Not anime don't care. Should get through the SDHQ VN one of these days though. I did promise I'd get round to it.

• Even Tragic Love Triangles Need A Swimsuit Episode 05
lfuRjDB.png

I like the Crunchyroll comments.
Logia17 said:
ITOOOOOOOOOU!!!!! I now pronounce you king BAKA!!!

Lunchbox94 said:
I don't think I've ever wanted to punch the main character more than I did with Makoto in this episode. I mean seriously! Come on man!

I think this is one of the surprisingly few times where the hentai-san actually is a deplorable hentai-san

You have the perfect situation here. Actually all the flipping time. And you have to destroy it and confound it and twist it and scourge it and poison it. I don't think I've hated a main character more. Even Onii-chan in Koi Kaze had pure intentions of love.

• Scourge Days HALFWAY FINISHED
XEO5PB2.png

Mankind must be evil. Someone from our species made this anime.​

Makoto don't you know wars have been fought and countless lives destroyed from the BS you're pulling

Katsura... ): YEAH YOU BEST SIT BACK OF THE BUS SEKAI

You're not a hapless protag. You're a heartless protag.

• Realistic Cheating Simulator 07

This is hard to watch. I think what's bothering me the most about this show is that it's actually kinda realistic about these kinds of situations... so its not the show's fault at all, I guess...

Still doesn't excuse this guy's BS. Dark Prince of Evil right here. Certifiably worse than Sugou in SAO, Ganondorf, Cain, and twelve versions of Satan himself.

CorvoSol

It's quite hard to explain exactly why it irks me so much, but luckily I have a previous post to illustrate my views on the series: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26319400&postcount=9511

So I definitely share your feelings for this show, particularly about the
Nina/Gato relationship coming out of literally nowhere in the last second and then suddenly the return of Nina/Kou in the last minute.
But again, compared to giant space flowers being planned 500 years ago by a man who accounted for psychic children's songs and androgynous cross dressing cyborgs, its still tame.

It isn't that Stardust Memory isn't a terrible, awful, lowdown no good insult to Gundam. It's that the disaster is mitigated by the relatively short length of the show and the fact that with crap like Destiny, AGE, and most of all 00 it just isn't the worst thing ever in the franchise.

At least Stardust Memory had the decency to end relatively quickly. 00 was the series that never ended. Two seasons and a movie of that filth.

Here's a fairly short and to the point, sans hyperbole explanation of why I didn't like 00 and consider it the worst show in the series.

Mr.Jeff

Can we all at least confirm Sumire Uesaka as one of the rising seiyuu/singers of the newest generation?
I don't think I've heard her in any actual series yet but from the Muromi OP alone I would subscribe to this newsletter. She reminds me of Kana Ueda I think.

Mr.Jeff

I tried once; I made it all of about a minute into the first episode when it turned into a first person view of awful cg tanks and I started to feel sick.

It does seem to have a ridiculous amount of praise but I feel I'll need to be slightly drunk to get past that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, wait. "Better" as in a recommendation of genuine quality or "better" in the sense of being a even more list worthy piece of media than School Days? Only one of those answers would pique my interest.

Cross Days takes the anti-harem, anti-otaku ending of the School Days anime and somehow makes it even more twisted, darker, and generally insane. It's probably the one of the greatest "fuck yous" to the genre that I've ever heard about, which is why it is almost reviled in the fandom.

Of course, this assumes you think of School Days as a masterpiece in the first place. If you do, Cross Days just elevates that energy one step further.

jgminto

I tried once; I made it all of about a minute into the first episode when it turned into a first person view of awful cg tanks and I started to feel sick.

It does seem to have a ridiculous amount of praise but I feel I'll need to be slightly drunk to get past that.

lol. That is the worst looking part of the entire show. I actually think most of the tank sections look pretty good. They just need better ground textures. Super thrilling to watch though.

Your loss! (the scene was not even 1min long).

Or you could watch the BD version of it.

• Real Life Relationships: The Animation OCHO
W5EfKu3.png

I take back what I said about downloading the OP. This filth will never exist on my phone.

Poor Katsura... she's so blinded by her love she thinks it's all Sekai's fault.

Sekai I think is starting to see through Makoto's crap. I hope so. Because Sekai's obviously got a conscience here. Who's to say Makoto won't pull the same stunt with you.

Katsura... you can find better men. Don't offer yourself to him just to get him back. Please, stop. PLEASE. PLEAAASSE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE AGHHH

Really? You're going to pull normal school anime antics at a time like this?

AU license update: Madman has Vividred (format unknown) and Bakuman (DVD), along with the same Garden of Sinners DVD boxset that AoA released late last year.

Guess no one in america is dubbing bakuman :(

Oh boy...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-22/fairy-tail-creator-hiro-mashima/good-on-july-4

Please let this be the revival of the Fairy Tail anime. PLEASE.

But the current manga arc and arc the anime half adapted is still yet to conclude.

I guess I'd better get on with watching bad anime, then. What's next? Slayers? Meh, like Gourry is even half as cool as Kirito. Doesn't even wield more than one sword, isn't a Beater. Meh.

You need to watch Accel World, its actually good.

Chuunibyou OVA

NB: I was disappointed by the lack of Dark Flame Master. =//
Thanks for the warning, no reason to watch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This week I feel this man deserves Face of the Week:

fOo1v38.jpg

You'll have to watch this week's Space Brothers to fully appreciate why he deserves to win.

• Keima Probably Hated Playing This Visual Novel 09
uUkR9BD.png

She's talking about Keima

I didn't need to see that incriminating kiss AGAIN.

The worst possible thing. So it was a harem after all!

Huh, that loli disappearing reminded me of one scene from Madoka. I hope that vague reference is enough for those who've seen it.

Please, for the love of grosh Katsura... just get with Sawanaga. It's better for you. Anything is better for you. Literally anybody would be better for you. A cucumber, for example.

AND THE HAREM GROWS LIKE A CANCER

Makoto has no remorse. Everything is conducted according to where it gets him in bed. A prime example of thinking with your dick.

I'm kinda bothered by the fact that the school endorses this tradition of asking someone out -- with a bed and everything. They probably don't even change the sheets between customers.

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME, SAPPY MUSIC?!?!!!!!! NO. NO NO NO NO NO.

• Everybody In This School Is Freaking Nuts 10
QJ0dutS.png

Now that's a way to do an opening to your harem anime.
NOT

SPIRALING

SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL

Don't spoil it for me, since I've got 2 episodes to go, but this is feeling like a VN with EVERY bad selection chosen. And now finally its crumbling on the evil player.

Sorry Sawanaga bro, you're just rebound. It was always this way.

Of all the people to be possessive of. Makoto is the last person you should be getting possessive over.

I don't effing care about growing the harem! AGHHH

Oh yes. It's finally happening. FINALLY. The truth... will set you free? -- probably too late for that now.

AHAHAHAHA THE CHEATER GOT CHEATED ON -- THEN THEY GOT CHEATED ON TOO.

...and he did it. Of course he did. I can't expect anything less from this series.

And now, the crap hits the fan. Perfect setup for the last two episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom