• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gargantia - 12

Wow. Looks like some people were right when they said that
Striker was the one acting as Kugel the whole time and was only following AI instincts.

Yeesh, talk about a
one sided fight. Chamber and Striker were pretty even, with Striker having a little advantage, but everyone else got annihilated hard! That's not to say that it wasn't enjoyable seeing Pinion go from stupid ass to badass.

Finale is next week. Can't wait to see it.

CorvoSol

CorvoSol: You keep on doing what you've been doing as you please. The thread would be worse off without what you do.

I just don't want to be an attention whore or ruin other people's fun. I come here to blow off steam and relax, and I don't want to make it any worse for other people.

I swear if you do impressions on Glass Fleet no one will come up like "Well in the LN all of this made sense, maybe you should have read it before you judge?"

Isn't Glass Fleet the one with the goatee on every chin? What's that show about? The goatee on every chin is really all I know about that show.

[Attack on I'm out of Jokes for this Boring Show] - 12

The pacing for this entire arc has been atrocious and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I have nothing positive to say about this episode accept that I suppose it could have been as bad as episode 10.

This is why I posted a picture of a glacier for my episode review, because it moves at a glacial pace.

Ultimately you have to remember that this thread likes to bandwagon. Watch something and say it's good, and people will follow. Watch something and say it's bad, and people will still follow.

Hell, Mad Pierrot and myself explicitly put "AVOID" status on Precure Max Heart, and a couple people went "hey I want in on that!"

This was for people who was posting in here at the time right?

RIP Tamerlane. Shame he got the axe and the "hurr hurrr animu avatar" guy didn't.

Wait what?

CorvoSol

RIP Tamerlane. Shame he got the axe and the "hurr hurrr animu avatar" guy didn't.

Without having read more than that one page, I can't believe that guy sunk as low as using an avatar for an argument. The only way that gets worse is mocking a username. Could've at least been clever and avatar quoted him.

Syrinx

Yeah, I'm not one to comment on stuff like that, but I hardly see why "lol anime avatar" in a discussion about The Sopranos and The Wire is okay and "lol guy using avatars as arguments" is a bannable offense.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, I'm not one to comment on stuff like that, but I hardly see why "lol anime avatar" in a discussion about The Sopranos and The Wire is okay and "lol guy using avatars as arguments" is a bannable offense.

I think that the bannable post occurred earlier in the thread; several people were accusing him of being condescending according to quotes in his post history. Whether that's true or this was just another case of juniors being on a way shorter leash and the dogpile of offense being taken as sufficient evidence that offense was intended, I'm not sure but, frankly, that whole thread sounds like a pain in the ass to parse through.

Narag

I disagreed with his opinion and his approach on evaluation, but a ban - seriously?
Is it always perma as a junior?

Not always but it's rare.

i4KDOWgKzwFXD.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shit, I've had derogatory posts aimed at me for having an anime avatar. And honestly it makes me not want to post in OT outside of the anime and K-ON! threads.

Gaming side seems much more tolerant of anime avatars, though.

Syrinx

I think that the bannable post occurred earlier in the thread; several people were accusing him of being condescending according to quotes in his post history. Whether that's true or this was just another case of juniors being on a way shorter leash and the dogpile of offense being taken as sufficient evidence that offense was intended, I'm not sure but frankly, that whole thread sounds like a pain in the ass to parse through.

Okay then. If he was being an ass as a junior, then I can see that. I guess I just assumed he was banned for that cause it was his last post.

Edit: But still, using anime avatars as some sort of effort to try and discredit an opinion is just ad hominem bullshit, and I seriously don't know why that's allowed, especially when the discussion has fuck all to do with anime.

I think that the bannable post occurred earlier in the thread; several people were accusing him of being condescending according to quotes in his post history. Whether that's true or this was just another case of juniors being on a way shorter leash and the dogpile of offense being taken as sufficient evidence that offense was intended, I'm not sure but frankly, that whole thread sounds like a pain in the ass to parse through.

I think he was seen as being condescending due to his references to older literature and somewhat obscure films that most other people haven't read or seen. Those references make other people view him as a know-it-all out to lord his superior knowledge over everyone else, as in this post.

An unfortunate situation, to be sure.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shit, I've had derogatory posts aimed at me for having an anime avatar. And honestly it makes me not want to post in OT outside of the anime and K-ON! threads.

Gaming side seems much more tolerant of anime avatars, though.

This is why I'll never be a mod; half of NeoGAF would be banned.

Really, I've never understood why trying to invalidate someone's argument through ad hominem attack (not just anime avatars, but anything) isn't bannable given the emphasis that GAF supposedly (keyword: supposedly) places on polite and reasoned debate.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yikes! That's like me complaining about a Sony game and someone went; your name is nintendoman so your argument is invalid.

While I don't think that what Tamerlane said was entirely appropriate, that does not mean you-, ugh, really? Invalid argument because of an anime avatar?

I've seen ugly things happen to people with Master Chief avatars in Nintendo threads. You can't say anything without being accused of having an agenda.

Especially since both shows suck.

BAN

This is why I'll never be a mod; half of NeoGAF would be banned.

Really, I've never understood why trying to invalidate someone's argument through ad hominem attack (not just anime avatars, but anything) isn't bannable given the emphasis that GAF supposedly (keyword: supposedly) places on polite and reasoned debate.

With a place that let Amir0x be a mod, you know that's not true.

fertygo

Part of the reason I'm using an Adventure Time avatar.

If I want to use any its from anime and such, but I don't want to involved to thing like that in NBA thread or whatever lol
Maybe I can use Derrick Rose or Han Fast&Furious avy, but I don't think will comfortable with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nerawareta Gakuen
So the only reason I know about this film is because of Geneijin linking me a supercell trailer a while ago.

tb6jdd3l.jpg

This is a forecast I can get behind. They really pile on the sakura blossoms in the first 5 minutes of the film. lol

63eOpSgl.jpg

I was going to complain that, like all science fiction movies, this is one of those films that clumsily gives away its premise through some bit of exposition early on because it doesn't trust the audience.

But then, the rest of the movie happened. lol

To say that the film is obtuse is probably bit of an understatement. Though it's not quite a Malick film, there really isn't much of a narrative for the audience to follow. Rather, it's a string of chronologically linear scenes connected to each other via a metaplot that is always differed. Only the characters really know what is actually going on in the world and it is up to the audience to try to piece together whatever story they can out of the glimpses that they are allowed by the director.

For a film that is in part about communication, I guess that's actually a smart way to convey the theme.

If you had to do an elevator pitch for the film, I would say it is the Shinji x Kaoru scenes from Evangelion 3.33 x The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. If that confuses you and makes no sense, well, having seen the movie myself, I'll just say you're not alone. lol

Also, if nothing else, the film does have gorgeous backgrounds and neat animation for the people into that stuff.
nB697fKl.jpg

NERzFnFl.jpg

I don't know how many people here will end up checking out the film. I'm not even quite sure if I would say that it is necessarily even a "good" film. But in the context of the SyFy that's just been happening in anime television recently, it's nice to have a piece of science fiction that expects you to think... even if what you end up thinking about might be trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Nerawareta Gakuen
I don't know how many people here will end up checking out the film. I'm not even quite sure if I would say that it is necessarily even a "good" film. But in the context of the SyFy that's just been happening in anime television recently, it's nice to have a piece of science fiction that expects you to think... even if what you end up thinking about might be trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Didnt know it was out in the west. Hopefully its picked up in America, the only non Eva/Naruto anime movie that I actually was looking forward to seeing this year.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If I want to use any its from anime and such, but I don't want to involved to thing like that in NBA thread or whatever lol
Maybe I can use Derrick Rose or Han Fast&Furious avy, but I don't think will comfortable with it.
want me to make you an eroge avatar?

Ultimadrago

Nerawareta Gakuen
So the only reason I know about this film is because of Geneijin linking me a supercell trailer a while ago...

Another reminder in addition to BluWacky's for me to check this out.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nerawareta Gakuen
So the only reason I know about this film is because of Geneijin linking me a supercell trailer a while ago.

tb6jdd3l.jpg

This is a forecast I can get behind. They really pile on the sakura blossoms in the first 5 minutes of the film. lol

63eOpSgl.jpg

I was going to complain that, like all science fiction movies, this is one of those films that clumsily gives away its premise through some bit of exposition early on because it doesn't trust the audience.

But then, the rest of the movie happened. lol

To say that the film is obtuse is probably bit of an understatement. Though it's not quite a Malick film, there really isn't much of a narrative for the audience to follow. Rather, it's a string of chronologically linear scenes connected to each other via a metaplot that is always differed. Only the characters really know what is actually going on in the world and it is up to the audience to try to piece together whatever story they can out of the glimpses that they are allowed by the director.

For a film that is in part about communication, I guess that's actually a smart way to convey the theme.

If you had to do an elevator pitch for the film, I would say it is the Shinji x Kaoru scenes from Evangelion 3.33 x The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. If that confuses you and makes no sense, well, having seen the movie myself, I'll just say you're not alone. lol

Also, if nothing else, the film does have gorgeous backgrounds and neat animation for the people into that stuff.
nB697fKl.jpg

NERzFnFl.jpg

OMG. YES! Time for me to watch this! YAY!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, I've never been harassed a single time on any other forum for my choice of avatar, even forums that arguably attract an even more mainstream userbase. There is a particular culture of hyper-masculinity that has taken root here and anything that violates that heteronormative space even slightly is violently shouted down. It's why I simply avoid OT altogether; my opinion isn't worth anything to them and theirs isn't worth anything to me.

Whoever said that NeoGAF was made up of the most conservative liberals on the internet was right.

With a place that let Amir0x be a mod, you know that's not true.

Hell, Kabouter is still a mod, and he's on record doing the hurrr hurrr anime avatars thing.

"hurhur adventure time is stoner garbage go watch a real show"

How is that?

please don't hurt me i like adventure time

As someone who watched a lot of Adult Swim as a teenager, I can confidently say that pretty much any cartoon that dabbles heavily in absurdity or surrealism has been accused of being a "stoner show".

Jex

Nerawareta Gakuen

[...]

Well that sounds somewhat obtuse but that's exactly what I'd expect from the director of Mōryō no Hako! I really do recommend you check out his work in the anime series which adapted a number of classic Japanese literary texts, Aoi Bungaku. He directed episode 9 - 10 which was an adaptation of Run, Melos!. It's pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom