• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mad Pierrot, I read your post and value your feedback. I don't really disagree with anything you said and I have nothing to add. I'm glad my post before was able to give you some context and better understanding. I also like cooking.

No problem, I just thought that a long post deserved a long response. Thanks for being willing to read it!

Eden of the East 01

holy noblesse oblige batman

/XX/

Yes, please. Absolutely no new art would be the only disappointment for me... and it's sad because it could happen; it's not likely, but it's definitely not impossible.
Wasn't there at first information coming on December, prior to any of the announcements, that hinted at Aniplex Inc., showing something important after the last episode of the Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann re-airing? It needs to be something substantial!

K. Yoshinari > Y. Yoshinari
The big brother 'Aninari' rules... but good luck at making him finish something on time. His little brother at least gets things done!

First and foremost I don't actually like per-episode recaps or criticism, but it's the style in here so I'll do that.
It be better if you did what you are more comfortable with, really. People never frowned upon different styles of posting, and reviews like the ones made by Typographenia (for example) used that kind of one-off 'complete impressions of a work' long post approach (although on his case he mostly did it for OVAs and such).

Jex

Eden of the East 01: I picked up a prince

I was recommended this by Aeana after her and Mumei made fun of my list of can'ts and won'ts when it comes to taking anime recommendations.

Eden of the East huh? That's an interesting title in clearly meets your particular requirements. I hadn't actually considered it as a title to recommend because, even though I personally enjoyed the TV series which you have just started I wasn't a fan of the movies which brought the story to a close.
Animation

Mg2XeRSl.png

In some anime that I've seen characters have, uh, I don't know what to call it--when they have an emotional reaction, there's like unusual doodles. Like if they get angry, there's squiggly lines floating in the air. Or they blush in a very heavy way. Or their eyes get super screwed up. Floating teardrops. Etc. I'm sure you guys know it. It's incorporated here, sparingly, but I really don't like it as an animation flourish.

There's not really a set name for that particular approach to having characters display their emotions. Some people just call it 'cartoony' or 'exaggerated', although I suppose 'deformed character designs' would cover it as well. It's certainly not something you tend to see in the works with realistic character designs produced by Production I.G. (the animation studio behind the series) because of the obvious disconnect between realism and exaggeration.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that it's used sparingly throughout the show but it does crop up from time to time in an attempt to 'soften' the characters somewhat. I believe the creators were trying their hardest to make a work that appealed to both a male and female audience (in the simplest terms) and though they'd bring in the boys with the 'political stuff' and they could please the girls with a 'romance angle'. Such deformed facial expressions are relatively common in manga and anime aimed at a female audience although it certainly exists in a wide variety of works.[/QUOTE]
Although I like the designs and drawings, the animation is fairly cheap and seems to have relatively few frames. I think my expectations here are probably unfair coming from mostly having seen film anime which have a higher budget. I'd like to open up a random western pre-CG cartoon to see how the frame counts compare. Is there a name for styles that have fewer or more frames? How does this show compare to others?
Broadly speaking anime, especially television anime, has a low frame count. This was a model first set up by Osamu Tezuka with Astro Boy in 1963 because he realised that they couldn't possibly hope to match the fluidity of Disney animation and so the best path forward would be to have very low frame counts, loop animations frequently etc etc. It's both a budget saving measure and a time saving measure because it takes a lot of time (and skilled animators) to create really fluid animation.

This approach is known as 'Limited Animation' and it's defined Anime ever since. A number of important animators devolped styles which allowed them to remain extremely expressive even with a low frame count. This form of creative animation also bred a wide variety of different styles within Japanese animation which is why a single episode of a TV series might contain a series which look wildly different to each other in terms of animation quality, character designs etc although how crazy that might get is down to the people in charge of making the series.

To get back to your original question, Eden of the East looks about average for a TV series. The character animation isn't particularly good or particularly bad. There are certain studios such as KyoAni, Bones etc which tend to produce shows which look far better than Eden of the East (although they aren't works which would interest you) and also a number of studios that produce worse looking titles. There are many other factors involved as well but this reply has already gone on too long.

JKTrix

Anyone going to/been to Anime Expo? I'm going this year for the first time, mainly to see Kick Heart.

Trying to see what else there is to do around there too.

/XX/

Anyone going to/been to Anime Expo? I'm going this year for the first time, mainly to see Kick Heart.

Miri (or Miizy F Baby) and InfiniteNine are going as well. And don't forget to attend the TRIGGER Inc., session with Masahiko Ōtsuka & Co., and Masaaki Yuasa will be there too! There is also huke if you like his illustration work. Cool guys!

Mushibugyo - 09

Mushibugyo%20-%2009.jpg

This is .... COMEDY GOLD

Just how pure this guy is ? Can't he ....realise what's going on ?

Anyway, this episode was quite heavy on action , but the hseer amount of characters introduced , make for quick burts of fighting and the result is average.

I do enjoy the struggles of the magistrate faced toward this "hero" , that she is unable to understand properly.

And then what a twist ! We learn about the true identity of nagai !
Good , this is good.
i already know that he isn't responsible for the other problem the insect team was doing.

Off to see ep 10 !

Soma

I've been to it a few times since it's only a few hours from where I live. Would've gone this year if I had the funds.

Planning to go next year with a group of friends so hopefully that'll work out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Stump is making me remember that I dropped Eden of the East with one episode to go like two years ago. :lol Long before I started posting in here, or even started watching anime regularly. Did Netflix ever get the second movie?

I wanted to go this year, but the lack of funds kinda put a stop to that.

I'll probably try and go next year if I can get all the planning and commitment from friends done (in writing) but I am looking forward to going to Japan Expo USA this August.

Stump is making me remember that I dropped Eden of the East with one episode to go like two years ago. :lol Long before I started posting in here, or even started watching anime regularly. Did Netflix ever get the second movie?

Don't watch the Eden of the East movies, especially the first one. Pretend they don't exist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't watch the Eden of the East movies, especially the first one. Pretend they don't exist.

I probably will watch them even if they suck, bad stuff doesn't retroactively spoil good stuff for me, but I'll still ask the question--if someone watches just the show, is the ending an ending, or are the movies required to get a sense of finality even if they suck?

yami4ct

I probably will watch them even if they suck, bad stuff doesn't retroactively spoil good stuff for me, but I'll still ask the question--if someone watches just the show, is the ending an ending, or are the movies required to get a sense of finality even if they suck?

If what I've heard from people who continued it after I dropped it, the TV series offers almost no closure. The movies do close stuff up, but do it exceptionally poorly.

survivor

Banned
You need to watch the movies for an actual ending.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

There are, broadly speaking, two plotlines in Eden of the East. Akira and Saki's personal plotline, and the greater plotline of the EotE world that you'll discover as you go forward. The series more or less settles the first. The movies (rather poorly) handle the second.

Joe Molotov

The first thing that you need to know about AnimeGAF: sometimes we watch anime because it's bad, just to see how bad it can get. For some of us, Max Heart was unquestionably the worst we'd ever seen.

Just to give you an idea, not even taking the various narrative elements into account, it was probably farmed out to rural North Korea:

3d6BwZ8.gif

That's actually from the show? I had always assumed it was a joke gif. lol

Mushibugyo%20-%2010.jpg

I will take your puny souls ..... and crush them to dust !

Mushibugyo - 10

I guess nothing is scarier than a angry woman in love.

I guess i'm quite happy by those events even if they felt somehow forced.

Still the sequence of events was quite good so it's alright.

I hope ep 11 will be as good as i think it will be.

DiGiKerot

So, has anyone yet mentioned the fact that Gurren Lagann is getting a UK BD release from those same fine folks that are bringing us Cowboy Bebop?

Because that's certainly a thing they've just announced as happening.

Rayearth

Neo Member
Gargantia 12

To be honest, I think the "Moment of Decision" was actually Chamber deciding that Striker wasn't operating within Alliance SOP rather than Ledo making the choice to fight. I mean, what would Ledo do if Chamber concluded that Striker's logic was sound? It would be ironic that, in the end, the AIs are still the only ones making the decisions.

It would also make it even more devastating for the audience if, during the finale, the only character to die is Chamber.

JKTrix

Miri (or Miizy F Baby) and InfiniteNine are going as well. And don't forget to attend the TRIGGER Inc., session with Masahiko Ōtsuka & Co., and Masaaki Yuasa will be there too! There is also huke if you like his illustration work. Cool guys!
Oh man, I haven't looked at the guest list in a while. Shinkai is there too. Will definitely be checking out the Trigger guys.

Jex

The TV show doesn't really end at all, it just stops. The movies are the conclusion of the story.

cnet128

Banned
R_thanatos, it's nice to see you back to a delicious Miku avatar of some sort, even if it's not Snow Miku. I feel like I can recognise you again.

DISCLAIMER: I actually can't remember what the previous avatar you had was at all. Getting vaguely paranoid that it was actually Miku as well and I just didn't recognise it or something. Probably not though.

The less emphasis on precure non-stop in this thread, the better

I take offence to this ~.~

1txEYuD.jpg

Is it me or does her arm look whack in this?

...agreed.

FLEABttn

Banned

I disagree with them ending poorly, and you will want to watch them for closure.

--//--

Inuyasha 1-39

At least I have a tablet, cause I'm not getting shit out of this.
WHYYYYYYYYYY

cnet128

Banned
This sudden Eden of the East revival reminds me that I watched that series when it aired, but never got around to checking out the movies. The general negative aura around them didn't help. Feeling a vague urge to watch them now, but I'm not confident I can even remember the events of the series any more. Maybe I just shouldn't go there.

This sudden Eden of the East revival reminds me that I watched that series when it aired, but never got around to checking out the movies. The general negative aura around them didn't help. Feeling a vague urge to watch them now, but I'm not confident I can even remember the events of the series any more. Maybe I just shouldn't go there.

I think one of the movies come with basically a recap of the entire series. Or they pretty much created a recap of the TV series and it came packaged with one of the movies.

Tenumi

Banned
Mad P the best way to deal with all this is to just ignore people. There will always be haters and detractors who might not agree with your chosen lifestyle but know what? Who gives a shit about them? they arent living your life and they deal with things differently. they might like something else. so what? Let them be them and you only concern yourself with what makes you happy. Fuck what they think. Seriously.

This is the way I've leaned to live. I used to push myself into situations that I hated, made myself care about things that would make me mad, and for what? Probably a few less years on my life due to stress. But, not to sound selfish, I live for myself now. I do what I want to do, not what others want me to do.

Anyway...

HenNeko: 09

So, wow. This show is probably my favorite visually this season, and plot wise it ranks up there, too. It hasn't been a masterpiece by any means, but an Above Average show that deserves a watch.

wait... eden to the east isn't the show about the woman who fights with a spear?

What was that?

And stump... crap now he's here, there is zero chance of me being unjred for 'good behavior' :(

iavi

The movies are definitely required.

I think one of the movies come with basically a recap of the entire series. Or they pretty much created a recap of the TV series and it came packaged with one of the movies.

Nah. There was some kind of recap thingy, iirc, but the two movies proper weren't it.

Syrinx

Hyouka 11

So the actual twist was that
the original story sucked and/or just wouldn't work and the cast was ad-libbing in stuff like the dude dying. So she removed herself from the project by feigning illness (explains why they didn't just go and ask her and why everybody seemed so nonchalant about what sounded like a very serious condition she was in. Chitanda actually beat Oreki to this conclusion) and tricked Oreki into ghost writing the ending for them.

So there are a couple of things we learn about Oreki here. First is that his indifference is beginning to wear down.
He showed visible anger and frustration at what happened (for which I don't blame him. I don't think he cared about not being credited or anything, just that he was manipulated into doing other people's work for them). I don't even think he hated doing the work either; he seemed interested in what was happening. He was beating himself up at his house for not being able to figure it out. He just didn't like being used.

Second is that his deduction skills are at their best when working with the others and not by himself. It took everybody elses input for him to see what was really going on.
And I think Irisu figured this out, which is why she isolated him; she knew the others would reject his conclusion because they were thinking about the girl, when she just wanted a good ending to the story. She's sly, that one. I wonder if she'll continue to be an important character going forward.

faridmon

Chihayafuru Ep. 24
Even if the pace was of this week with a confusing dialogue patterns, its still remains the best Anime this decade so far. Bloody hell, everything about it still awes me. The art remains to be fantastic and the soundtrack beautifully composed and delivered. The characters have this faux Shojo-realistic actions and reactions to thing around them which endearing. The clever ploy of actually implementing the back-story of Arata so hidden within his match is great as well.
8/10

Shingeki no Kyojin Ep 12
Despite my reluctance on many aspect of this series before, I found myself intrigued by the premise and the world building (that wasn't introduced well in the start) was mildly interesting. Now I can say this whole thing is shit. Especially this episode, not only was the pacing awful, but it was saddled by terrible writing and dialogue. Not to mention the characters are hard to be empathised with, when their reactions have been super unrealistic.
4/10

The Big O 1-3 Dub

I like what I've seen so far, I kind of wish Roger Smith wasn't so inconsistent in personality though. One moment he's 90's bruce wayne/batman the next he's 60's bruce wayne/batman. One moment he's using his awesome grapple watch to save Dorothy the next he's a louse who lets people constantly sneak up on him while arguing about the color outfit he wears with his android gf.

I also feel like the second half of the episodes don't always feel like a part of the first half, the mystery/noir stuff in the first half of the episode really could carry the series on it's own, but there always seems to be some convenient reason for another giant robot or monster to appear for Big O to show up and fight. These fights are awesome but I can't help but feel they're forcing giant robot fights into a series that didn't really need them.

One thing I will say is that the dub is really good, Steve Blum does a great job as Smith and the supporting cast all really sound the part.

Wow, Stump's review.

I am nothing.

I should get around to finishing the Eden of the East series sometime. I got like, 5 episodes in and got caught up in the rest of my backlog :I

Mature

Hah! I actually kind of like it. I would just fear that there would be some dramatic moment of the movie where you're supposed to be sad... then you'd hear those silly noises and couldn't help but crack a smile.

These are honestly the most impressive types of shots to me. Conveying such a dynamic sense of space in this medium looks really awesome.

I'll be going all of the days. Check out the exhibition hall because it's huge. The Mega64 panel is great fun every year, too.

R_thanatos, it's nice to see you back to a delicious Miku avatar of some sort, even if it's not Snow Miku. I feel like I can recognise you again.

DISCLAIMER: I actually can't remember what the previous avatar you had was at all. Getting vaguely paranoid that it was actually Miku as well and I just didn't recognise it or something. Probably not though.

I just can't use snow miku in the summer ...DO you have any idea how warm is it where i am ?

My avatar history went like this .
-Prince of falenna ( suikoden 5 )
-Regular miku
-offspring of the hero ( Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki )
-Aveline ( Assasin creed : lady liberty )
-Snow miku
-Xiaomu ( namco x capcom, project x zone , and the list goes on )
-Smiling miku # 2

--------
Mushi bugyo - 11

I don't think i was ready for this turn of events.
I wonder how they will solve this issue next episode.

Still This 11th episode provided some nice back story on mugai so it's alright.
The princess was alright when she tried so thumb up.
And finally some answer on what's going on on the other side of the country .... this should be good i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom